Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+5
revvaughan
Wilderbeest
nazareth
The Little Corporal
Kingmaker
9 posters

Films

tek_604
    tek_604
    Baron
    Baron

Number of posts : 127
    Registration date : 2008-10-26

Films - Page 2 Empty Re: Films

Post by tek_604 Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:29 am

The only films I can think of that sort of cover the period would be "The Madness of Kig George III" (although thats late in the period), and "Cromwell" (too early).

But I would recommend watching Cromwell, excellent performances by both Alec Guiness as King Charles, and Richard Harris as Cromwell. (I hope I got the actors right, those were from my bad memory).

And of course there is "Waterloo", a French/Russian production (I think), recreating the whole battle. OK, not LGDR, but still an impressive film!
    ginger
    ginger
    Lord
    Lord

Number of posts : 53
    Registration date : 2008-11-09

Post by ginger Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:37 am

Some C18th English themed films off the top of my head which could have some nice ideas in them to use.

Rob Roy - anyone ever read the book by Scott Question I have. Some nice touches in it for the English/JAcobite/French players - some examples of everyday life as well. Got to read Waverley yet.
    The last of the Mohicans - the siege coming to an end by terms of war being offered & the English being allowed to march out by the French fits in nicely with LGDR/TGOK I think.
    City of Vice - About London in 1755 wasn't it? The Bow Street runners & all that. Made for TV by Channel 4 & now available on dvd.

The Three Musketeers - Razz The ones with Oliver Reed & Michael Yorke Razz Maybe not of use to play Agema's games but worth a watch if just for a laugh! Razz M'lady D'Winter character anyone Twisted Evil
    revvaughan
    revvaughan
    King
    King

Number of posts : 778
    Registration date : 2008-07-15

Post by revvaughan Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:34 am

Last of the Mohicans is a great show. I use it each year when I get to the French and Indian War in my various classes. Many of the children have seen it several times and actually request to borrow it to take it home. The nice thing about the movie, other than the story and quality, is the fact that for high school students it is the perfect tool for teaching history.

1) It has a love story and that hooks the girls.
    2) It has guns, hunting and the like which catches the guys.
    3) The nifty part is until they reach my class most of these guys have never seen the movie. I find that very odd, but then I have to remember when the movie was made and how old I am! Time sure does fly!
    ginger
    ginger
    Lord
    Lord

Number of posts : 53
    Registration date : 2008-11-09

Post by ginger Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:24 am

My old history teacher used the comedy Blackadder goes fourth to help teach about the Great War.

The first Blackadder series for the War of the Roses Razz
    King Richard: "A horse. A horse. My kingdom for a Horse. Ah, a horse."
    Edmund: "Oi, that's my horse!" as he chops off the thieves head with his sword.
    An excited Edmund, who has now truly taken part in the battle & more so killed someone. Upon seeing who he's just killed: "Oh, my g-d it's the king."
    (Its his uncle, King Richard III)
    john_tindall@mlc.com.au
    john_tindall@mlc.com.au
    Squire
    Squire

Number of posts : 26
    Registration date : 2009-01-26

Films - Page 2 Empty Michael Caine - a trilogy

Post by john_tindall@mlc.com.au Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:26 am

Most of us will have heard of "Zulu", where outnumbered British soldiers are besieged by thousands of Zulu warriors at Rorke's Drift. Caine's first film and a beauty.

A few less may know of "The Man Who would Be King" - Caine and Sean Connery as two rogue ex-soldiers of the British Raj who set off from 19th century British India in search of adventure, and end up as kings of Kafiristan. Based on a Kipling story.

But how many know of "The Last Valley"? Caine with Omar Sharif and written by James Clavell! Caine leads a band of 17th century mercenaries sheltering from the Hundred Years War. The blurb on the back enthuses, "a big scale histroical action film crammed with pillage, torture, death at the stake, throat cutting and general carnage". What more could one ask?

All permane t additions to your library - also very good historically.

Cheers

John
    john_tindall@mlc.com.au
    john_tindall@mlc.com.au
    Squire
    Squire

Number of posts : 26
    Registration date : 2009-01-26

Films - Page 2 Empty ..and the gritty but really obscure ones

Post by john_tindall@mlc.com.au Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:52 am

"The War lord" with Charlton Heston. An accurate account of medieval life during the 11th century. See here for more info:
    http://charltonhestonworld2.homestead.com/WarLord1.html

(And another Heston: "Fifty Five Days at Peking")

and not one to watch when the kids are around: "Flesh+Blood" with Rutger Hauer (remember the chilling android killer in "Bladerunner"?). A band of 14th century mercenaries take revenge on a noble lord.

All supposedly above-average in the histroically-accurate department.

Cheers again,

John
    noticen24
    Surf
    Surf

Number of posts : 3
    Registration date : 2010-06-24

Post by noticen24 Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:23 pm

Kingdom of Heaven..........

Weight Loss Pills Review
    Eye surgery