Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+7
J Flower
Regor
Hapsburg
Ardagor
Kingmaker
count-de-monet
Deacon
11 posters

Agricultural Improvements

Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Agricultural Improvements Empty Agricultural Improvements

Post by Deacon Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:27 pm

There seem to be a ton of agricultural improvements available in game:

Enclosures, Norfolk System, irrigation canals, seed drills, etc.

For those who have experimented with them, any advice or insight?
    count-de-monet
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 379
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Agricultural Improvements Empty Re: Agricultural Improvements

Post by count-de-monet Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:07 pm

I have tried enclosures....thats a deal (at the moment) I would like to take back !!. I've had the pain, Im just waiting the benefit and it better be BIG
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:17 pm

So lots of social unrest from enclosures?

I was thinking about implementing them, but wondered at the write up that implied that you'd have problems from the small farmers affected.
    count-de-monet
    Duke
    Duke

Post by count-de-monet Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:36 am

My economic health score plummeted, and I mean plummeted. To be fair, it was around 6 when I started, and believe me it got stuck at 1 VERY quickly and stayed there for a long time.

It must have some very positive benefits, and historically, one of the outcomes of enclosures in England was a population boom (partnered with other agricultural innovations of course), but I would recommend a couple of national stablilizers before attempting. Have economic health at at least 8 (and be prepared for a big drop) and as a result have financial reserves in your treasury to cover a large drop in revenues during the implementation and while the economy recovers.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:13 am

Wow. I would have expected honour drop and the like, but the whole point of enclosure was that it improved the economy, not cratered it. weird that it had that effect on you.

Did you do any social things to manage the impact, like poor relief or buying off the poor farmers?

Last edited by Deacon on Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:14 am

anybody have any experience with nightsoil men brigades and their effects?
    count-de-monet
    Duke
    Duke

Post by count-de-monet Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:20 am

I did buy off the poorer and smaller farmers, and released grain supplies held in reserve to help those families displaced. No obvious positive impact BUT to be fair, maybe the impact would have been worse or longer without this help ?

Yep, tried night soil workers as well (recently), 1st year in operation, no obvious impact.

Can you tell Im either rubbish or unlucky at this agricultural stuff ? Very Happy
    Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1673

Post by Kingmaker Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:34 am

I did swamp draining took 2 years but did give me an increase in grain with no problems. Cost a bit tho......

Post by Guest Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:45 pm

What sort of innovative ways have people come up with (or seen) to pay for canals?
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:26 pm

No particular insight on this, but most of the financing schemes I've seen in the game look like a bad idea to me. All were too expensive.

It is possible if you worked at it you might be able to find someone to underwrite canals by tolling them, but I think you're more likely better off to just find the money or borrow directly if you can get a good rate and underwrite it yourself.

Ardagor
    Ardagor
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 427

Post by Ardagor Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:09 pm

Good harvests

I got 40,000 ton grain for each million population in one game with no agricultural improvements at all.

In another game where I had Night soil men, irrigation and potash the result was 60,000 ton, so definitely an effect but nothing massive.
    Hapsburg
    Viscount
    Viscount

Number of posts : 160
    Registration date : 2008-06-20

Post by Hapsburg Mon May 28, 2012 10:56 pm

As Spain I usually generate a surplus of 3 billion tons of grain each year; store a proportion but end up burning or giving away the rest before it rots.
    Ardagor
    Ardagor
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 427

Post by Ardagor Mon May 28, 2012 11:17 pm

3 billion tons seem a lot, where would they grow it all. That could almost feed the modern world.
    The most I have ever harvested is about 30 million.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:02 pm

count-de-monet wrote:I have tried enclosures....thats a deal (at the moment) I would like to take back !!. I've had the pain, Im just waiting the benefit and it better be BIG

So, checking back in. Did you have an income period yet and how did it work out?

I was thinking about how enclosures tanked your EH, and wondered if this was a way of increasing recruits without necessarily tanking your income, since the rules do say that when you have a low EH, you get more recruits.

Regor
    Regor
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 350
    Registration date : 2010-02-15

Post by Regor Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:43 pm

That is really clever thinking as the enclosures put folk out of work - movement to the towns etc etc Very Happy
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:51 pm

Yeah, I was thinking about this, and wondered if the EH on the turn sheet was a bit of misdirection.

It could just mean lots of disruption and people out of work, (IE more recruits), but that the tax revenues aren't necessary trashed.

Enclosures are supposed to be disruptive, but they shouldn't crater your economy...
    Regor
    Regor
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Regor Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:57 pm

Doesn't a low EH mean (in some part) you have less than full employment and can re-deploy the workers more efficiently?

As my EH bobbles around 6/7 I'm no expert.

Perhaps a loan to help invest in town improvements - carpenters and road makers would be needed, and market gardeners.

You get my drift? Smile
    count-de-monet
    Duke
    Duke

Post by count-de-monet Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:09 am

I have had one income round since the move to enclosures and it was a complete disaster. My EH score was 1 so I wasnt expecting anything but a disaster. The next round is this turn. Enclosures have now been successfully introduced, but EH is only up to 4. So Im not expecting great news again. I suspect that introducing enclosures isnt the only damaging impact at the moment, so it cant all be put down to that, but it is clearly having an impact.

The biggest problem with income, ESPECIALLY taxes is, what can be destroyed in a year can NOT be recovered in a year. In my experience, even going from a EH of 1 in one income round to EH 10 in the next will not recover equilibrium. Damage to tax revenues once done is a long road back to where you were.

In theory enclosures is highlighted as one (there were many) of the main influences on England progressing to the Industrial Revolution before any other nation. I dont expect to get to a IR in my position, but the timeline should suggest a population boom, based on historical fact, which obviously brings benefits to a posiiton.

Bottom line - I would still not go for enclosures. I run more than one position. I have tried enclosures in one of those positions and not even considering it in any others !!

I am not saying others wont be more successful, or should not try it, but my experience isnt good.
    Regor
    Regor
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Regor Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:21 am

Fair points all: I'm in a position where I struggle for recruits (always a battle) so I've been looking for any ways of achieving a surplus of men.....

Perhaps I need an industrial revolution? From your experience best not pin my hopes on it (plus it would be an anachronism) Rolling Eyes
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:08 pm

Thanks for the update, seems my hypothesis is wrong, and enclosures are just very disruptive.

I wonder if you have to have a bunch of other agricultural improvements in place to weather the transition better.

Did you at least get more recruits?
    count-de-monet
    Duke
    Duke

Post by count-de-monet Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:38 pm

no visible increase in recruits either yet, but again thats to be expected. I do appreciate such a plan is long term.

I do have reports that agricultural workers have been displaced - presuming to towns. If there was to be a population boom it would then probably take a few years to really work its way through to increased recruits.

I remain optimistic (if I keep taking the herbal remedies my court doctor prescribed) most of the time but am prone to fits of depression and outbursts when it dawns on me how badly I have ruined a very good and (once was) strong position.
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1239
    Registration date : 2012-02-16

Post by J Flower Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:01 am

Enclosures should mean the big landowners get more land, take the common land away from the commoners as well. Larger farms should mean better use of agricultural machinary as well. People should be forced into urban centres from the countryside to look for work, as the countryside cannot support them.

Maybe you need to have certain agricultural improvements in place before enclosure act.

If you have improved plows, seed drills, more resistant crops, better crop rotation, then when the big land owners get there act together then they have the ability to farm more economically and more intensivlly. If they continue with there old methods then you have gained little . So there is no actual improvement.

Also the people forced off the land also need to be fed by a more efficient agricultral base. This will lead to higher food costs, which will also damage EH

Maybe more foundations need to be laid before the Enclouses act is passed.

Also I am not sure as to the difference it will make if you have serfs or free men on the land. Some serfs were tied to the land and sold with it what effect that would have with Enclosures I am not sure, as these people would technically not be able to leave the area to seek other employment without upsetting the social order.If there is no work for them they are simply destitute.

Historically in the long run Enclosures worked, so maybe a long term approach is needed, but also maybe a number of underlying factors must also be ready for the upheaval.

Post by Guest Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:43 pm

I agree that Enclosures are a huge change which have political consequences. Other improvements such as land reclamation or improved drainage seem to bring benefits without the political consequences.
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1239
    Registration date : 2012-02-16

Post by J Flower Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:21 pm

It may also be worth introducing new or hardier crops. There are rules to improve Grain, introduce potatoes, also Sugar beet can be refined to help cut down on reliance on Cane.

If you manage to develop a crop like potatoes/ Sugarbeet/ Swede, that can be used to feed livestock over winter you will then also improve the farming practice in your country as Farmers won't need to slaughter animals at start of winter.

Use of Stud farms can also improve animal quality, fatter pigs, better milk producing cows hens that lay more eggs, the list is long.
    The Hessian
    Lord
    Lord

Number of posts : 85
    Registration date : 2010-09-28

Post by The Hessian Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:08 pm

3 billion grain, that must be spain in game 3. He had developed hardened wheat and makes todays super agriculture giants look small as he grew wheat literally all over the world in his multitude of colonies.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content