Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+2
Deacon
Stuart Bailey
6 posters

French Uniforms in LGDR7

French Uniforms in LGDR7 - Page 3 Empty Re: French Uniforms in LGDR7

Post by Guest Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:02 pm

Thanks Louis Smile

I have had a quick look at the website and it is an amazing find! He has clearly put a lot of time and effort into it, as you have with your uniforms, and it is a resource well worth us using.

I know what you mean about British regimental colours (I did some work with the National Army Museum on new exhibitions that required me to do some reading up a couple of years back) and the reasoning behind who wore what left my head spinning.

Of course, playing (other than France) a non-European power means I might need to have a chat with a arty-computer literate friend to see if they can create a similar template that i can use for my other position...but if/when G9 happens I am going to go for a European position so there template will be extremely useful...

I do hope that perhaps some other players might use them as I know a few others have gone into quite a bit of detail on uniforms and it would be interesting to see what they imagine their designs look like.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2565
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:31 pm

A point to keep in mind is that in the days before colour fast dyes all uniforms would fade and dyes would run into each other so after a couple of months on campaign even original kit would look nothing like the original uniform.

Plus a lot of it would have been replaced by bought or plundered items of different colour, cut, design etc.

Post by Guest Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:41 am

Stuart Bailey wrote:A point to keep in mind is that in the days before colour fast dyes all uniforms would fade and dyes would run into each other so after a couple of months on campaign even original kit would look nothing like the original uniform. Plus a lot of it would have been replaced by bought or plundered items of different colour, cut, design etc.

Very true! But since when have soldiers not been required to take a certain pride in their appearance? At least we know that they will look smart when they are freshly raised, and just think of all the economic benefit in replacing worn out uniforms Very Happy
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1239
    Registration date : 2012-02-16

Post by J Flower Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:47 pm

I agree that many RSM'S take a very keen interest in the state of soldiers uniforms, for the rank & file it is/was a lot of hard work to keep the uniform & assosiated equipment clean, tidy & serviceable.

Most replacement uniforms were drawn from the soldiers wages, with either a monthly stoppage or payment on replacement.

A Great coat was supposed to last two years, before replacement. There were no Left & right fitting boots, spare soles were carries & were replaced by the unit cobbler.
    Some uniforms were cut in such a way that movement was restricted, quality was also a factor as costs were kept low to ensure that as much of the clothing allowance money went into the pockets of the officer responciable, afterall they had to somehow get the money back from paying for there commission.
    Ardagor
    Ardagor
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 427
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by Ardagor Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:33 pm

One of the reasons for the large amount of irish serving in the English army was that the irish accepted just about anything that they received (clothes, equipment, weapons etc). The English wanted better, and more expensive clothes.

Post by Guest Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:52 pm

Very interesting - I suppose it is possible that if you were destitute, joining the army had certain advantages: a fresh set of clothes and shoes, regular meals, and you get to take out your frustrations on the enemy?

I always thought it was a bit much to be charged for stoppages, though perhaps some enlightened ruler could come up with a way round penalising the men for such losses?

I didn't issue great coats as standard as I expected the men to be in winter quarters and not fighting in such weather, but I was always keen on properly fitting footwear. Did wonders for French tanners and leather workers as well, equipping such a large army! No officer would dare cut costs on the uniforms issued as they knew King Louis talked to the men to check they were happy with them. It is possible to raise mobile workshops to repair broken carriages and presumably also horseshoes, perhaps it is possible to raise something similar to supply replacement uniforms?

Post by Guest Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:18 am

now, that is an interesting point, does re-equipping the army actually benefit your economy?
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:07 am

I guess it depends if you actually produce the equipment required to Re-equip your forces, If you have to buy in from outside then it could have a negative effect rather than a positive.
    Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 458
    Registration date : 2011-07-01

Post by Basileus Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:26 am

I saw somewhere that at this time the Swedes had a musket that suited their Ga - Pa tactics. Getting close, fire one volley, charge in and fight hand to hand. The musket delivered a number of musket balls with the one shot. Anyone else seen reference to that?
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:28 am

I have read somewhere of troope cutting their musket balls into smaller pieces, I guess that would give the same kind of shotgun effect.May have caused more barrel wear though.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2565
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:16 pm

It was actually quite a common practice to double shot or even triple shot both cannons and muskets but I suspect that due to time and rish of misfire if rushed this was only done prior to battle.

The practice would not do accurracy or barrel life much good but if defending a breach about to be filled with screaming Highlanders/Turks etc I suspect such concerns were secondary to filling the space with as much lead as possible.

Cutting musket balls with a cross made an early form of "dum dum" bullet.....in theory the musket ball would break up of entering the human body making an even larger wound than a normal musket round. Of course if you cut the ball really deeply its liable to break up in flight and the bits would go anywhere. Probably not a problem if fireing at a large target.........unless the firer is in say the 3 or 4 rank in which case more forward ranks can get hit.
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:25 pm

It was common practice for artillery threatened by cavalry to doudle load with Cannister & Rounshot . As Stuart implies the danger of a burst Barrel wer increased. But that was secondary to staying alive.

One reason Brass Cannon were prefered to Iron was that Brass Guns would bulge rather than burst like Iron Guns, when double loading was involved.

There are also records of stones & coins being recovered from wounds made by musket fire. It was also not unusual for inexperienced soldiers in the heat of battle to fire off there Ramrods at the enemy.

Post by Guest Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:40 pm

I have heard of the ramrod-firing before, in Sharpe novels admittedly Wink but I always imagine it might be a bit hard to explain to your CO afterwards...
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:52 pm

There are reports of various items being removed from wounds, as well as Ram rods being fired off by ill trained recruits.

There is however little evidence to suggest that bayonets actually caused many casualties, This secondary weapon of the infantry seems to have been more of a deterent than an actual leathal weapon, most people electing to run away if a charge was pressed, or if the defenders stood there ground then many charges were not pushed home, rather the two sides halted & exchanged fire. This is at least the contempurary view on the open Battle field. Seiges etc are obviously a differant situation.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:01 pm