Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

2 posters

Pension Schemes

J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1242
    Registration date : 2012-02-16

Pension Schemes Empty Pension Schemes

Post by J Flower Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:51 am

Historically some rulers looked after there old soldiers The Chelsea Hospital is an example of this.
    In Austria The Military boarder area was given as land grants to ex-soldiers who were then pledged to defend the area.

Are these examples carried over into the game in a greater or lesser degree?
    Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1673
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Pension Schemes Empty Re: Pension Schemes

Post by Kingmaker Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:06 am

Russia had hospitals for the ordinary soldiers

Post by Guest Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:40 am

On this, Louis XIV led the way. The English Royal Hospital was completed in 1705 following the French idea, though pensions were paid from 1689. I think it was probably a consequence of permanently established national armies, which again was led by France. For some reason Louis didn't trust mercenaries. He raised plenty of units from foreign volunteers, but it was the smaller nations whose armies were primarily composed of mercenaries.

According to Wikipedia ... "Louis XIV initiated the project by an order dated 24 November 1670, as a home and hospital for aged and unwell soldiers: the name is a shortened form of hôpital des invalides. The architect of Les Invalides was Libéral Bruant. The selected site was in the then suburban plain of Grenelle (plaine de Grenelle). By the time the enlarged project was completed in 1676, the river front measured 196 metres and the complex had fifteen courtyards, the largest being the cour d'honneur ("court of honour") for military parades. It was then felt that the veterans required a chapel. Jules Hardouin Mansart assisted the aged Bruant, and the chapel was finished in 1679 to Bruant's designs after the elder architect's death. The chapel is known as Église Saint-Louis des Invalides. Daily attendance was required. Shortly after the veterans' chapel was completed, Louis XIV commissioned Mansart to construct a separate private royal chapel referred to as the Église du Dôme from its most striking feature. Inspired by St. Peter's Basilica in Rome, the original for all Baroque domes, it is one of the triumphs of French Baroque architecture. Mansart raised its drum with an attic storey over its main cornice, and employed the paired columns motif in his more complicated rhythmic theme. The general programme is sculptural but tightly integrated, rich but balanced, consistently carried through, capping its vertical thrust firmly with a ribbed and hemispherical dome. The domed chapel is centrally placed to dominate the court of honour. It was finished in 1708."

In G7 I did indeed build Les Invalides as a hospital (its primary purpose being to treat sick soldiers). I also paid a form of war pension or at least compensation for those killed in battle, though I did not formalise it into a system, which is quite difficult to do within the game. Do you provide pensions for the injured or simply for long service, and how do you calculate it? Do you provide pensions just for officers (who generally don't need them) or for the ordinary soldiers, who do! Get it wrong and your officers may avoid battle so they don't end up with large numbers of casualties and so have to pay taxes to fund their pensions.

Incapacitated French soldiers often served as prison guards where mobility was not a major requirement, the obvious example being the guards of the Bastille. The Bastille was a very unusual place in that most of the prisoners were nobles or other celebrities on political charges who could not easily disappear. It was the nature of the charges rather than the nature of the conditions they were confined in that gave the Bastille its reputation. Indeed, when you read of the suites of rooms and private libraries enjoyed by the inmates, it appears they were deprived of their libery, but little else. They were also paid pensions on release as an inducement to future good behaviour. Louis must have been going soft in his old age as it is certainly not something I implemented!

Post by Guest Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:25 pm

It's not something I think I have heard of in-game before but strangely just a couple of days ago I was thinking whether or not to open such a hospital for ex-soldiers, more for prestige and honour reasons.

I seem to recall that there were other early efforts, which might have even pre-dated France (!), in Denmark, Saxony and Bavaria. Now, if I can find a source for those claims, I'll post it here...

Post by Guest Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:08 pm

The source I am thinking of was an old book "War and Society in Europe of the old Regime"

http://books.google.co.uk/books/about/War_and_Society_in_Europe_of_the_Old_Reg.html?id=Ihiaim0O9dAC&redir_esc=y

Unfortunately my copy fell apart a few years back and I never got round to buying a new copy. I am certain that it also talks about other early similar efforts to provide for ex soldiers and sailors
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:19 pm

In some army lists there actually appear to be Invalid units, or Royal invalids or the like. They don't seem to make an appearence in the game though. I wonder if this was a way of some NAtions looking after the old & injured rather than setting up a scheme dedicated to their welfare.

In game I set up a scheme whereby 1 days pay a year is deducted from each serving person for a fund for ex-servicemen. My Character also contributes a lump sum every year from his personal wealth. The One days pay is more symbolic, I don't think Richard actually calculates it, but it is there as a saftey net for the needy.

Post by Guest Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:03 pm

It is an interesting idea, calculating a % of army upkeep and then supplementing it from personal wealth. Have you noticed any positive benefits (honour, increased morale, increased recruitment, etc?)
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:35 am

Honour went up, Not sure about EH, how it can be measured, all I can say is prior to getting involved in a war it was stable staying at one level for a number of years, wether the scheme was an underlying factor, along with other economic ideas. I'm honestly unabl eto say.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 18, 2024 7:26 am