Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+2
Ardagor
MarkTurner26
6 posters

What are your goals?

MarkTurner26
    MarkTurner26
    Marquess
    Marquess

Number of posts : 260
    Registration date : 2012-11-03

What are your goals? Empty What are your goals?

Post by MarkTurner26 Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:22 pm

This is a point of interest for me, when you take over your positions do you have the usual goals or do you change per position.
    Ardagor
    Ardagor
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 427
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

What are your goals? Empty Re: What are your goals?

Post by Ardagor Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:24 pm

I try to get the economy going, with varying success, work on the armed forces (lots of drill, improved weapons etc) which brings me to my favourite thing to do in game. Setting up academies and tinkering with new technology.
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1239
    Registration date : 2012-02-16

Post by J Flower Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:11 am

Main aim is to enjoy myself whist playing,as for goals basic survival is the main aim for me.

Post by Guest Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:57 am

Welcome Mark, as you will no doubt have picked up from my other posts, I am a fan of historical play. So I look at what my character did historically, the challenges he faced and my objectives would be to either overcome those challenges or avoid his mistakes. Of course things can change and develop as the game moves on, and it is difficult to join with any completely fixed ideas, particularly part way through a game. It is also a certainty that other players will try to frustrate your aims.

Some positions lend themselves more naturally to certain objectives, so if you are primarily interested in trade it makes sense to go for a trade-based position, or diplomacy/politics a more politically difficult one. Would anyone seriously want to play the Asante if their objective was to end the slave trade?

I don't know any player who wouldn't prefer to have a booming economy, some technology which he thinks gives himself an edge, some troops in fancy uniforms, the odd victory in a war, and at least feel as if he's achieved something. But for me the further your objectives move away from the historical setting, the less enjoyable it is for other players.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:07 pm

My goals change based upon the position.

I like to try to at least get into the general mindset of my leader and think about what he would want to accomplish, and go from there.
    MarkTurner26
    MarkTurner26
    Marquess
    Marquess

Number of posts : 260
    Registration date : 2012-11-03

Post by MarkTurner26 Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:50 pm

I have to say personally, I like to choose a way I wish to go for example in game 6 I play Persia and have gone a religious route and I roleplay it. I concur I would love to have a booming economy, I do try and keep to the times and keep my 21st century brain out of the loop but sometimes it difficult. I like to roleplay, so having a nice strong group of fellow followers is great.

Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 458
    Registration date : 2011-07-01

Post by Basileus Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:29 pm

I find the position I play starts to determine the goals I set. When playing as Sweden I just seemed to be involved in a series of wars, as England, once I had peace in the British Isles it was about the economy, now as the HRE I find myself tring to preserve the Holy Roman Empire as my goal. In my other position (game 8)I am a pirating troublemaker - perhaps some still see me as that in game 7 Very Happy
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2565
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:39 pm

Ardagor wrote:I try to get the economy going, with varying success, work on the armed forces (lots of drill, improved weapons etc) which brings me to my favourite thing to do in game. Setting up academies and tinkering with new technology.

Damn looks like I have been doing it all wrong I thought the No2 objective was to burn, loot and destroy your foes!

Of course to achieve objective No2 you have to solve the much more tricky objective No1 which is to identify who are your friends and who are your foe's.

Playing Persia in LAK like Mark I found Religion a handy guide:

1) Ottoman Empire......full of heretics. Also anti social types and desert with little loot.

2) Russia.......full of idol followers. Steppe, even more anti social types with even less loot.

3) India.......Some pious Muslims in need of my help, loads of idol followers to be plundered......sorry I mean converted to the true faith!

Sadly I find it a less handy guide when running other positions. Some how the theory that I am a Swedish Protestant so my fellow Protestants in Denmark, Prussia, England, UDP must be my friends against the Heretic to the East rarely works.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:17 am