Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

5 posters

Whats Happening in Game 7

MarkTurner26
    MarkTurner26
    Marquess
    Marquess

Number of posts : 260
    Registration date : 2012-11-03

Whats Happening in Game 7 Empty Whats Happening in Game 7

Post by MarkTurner26 Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:34 am

I have joined game 7 with my swashbuckler, and am currently heading towards Vienna, could anyone give me an overview of whats happening, especially realting to the Austrians?
    The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 491
    Registration date : 2008-08-03

Whats Happening in Game 7 Empty Re: Whats Happening in Game 7

Post by The Revenant Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:35 pm

Hi - I'm also Swashbuckling in Game 7 (having just switched my main Glory of Kings action from 7 to 6). You ask a large question in a few words! The best place to look for detail (if you've got the patience) is the "Game 7 France vs England" thread under Glory of Kings. That may also give you a flavour of the Austrian player' style... Making a very short and patchy story of it: France went to war with (and invaded) England over the non-arrival of a dredger mission (probably due to several changes of English player). Austria used his distraction to mount an all-out (and still continuing) attack on France, to which France was slow to respond militarily. Russia was drawn in by its treaty with France and started preparing to attack Austria. Then the French player dropped out. Sweden attacked Russia, and so Russia switched his attention north, never actually crossing swords with Austria. Chaos has devoured England. First John Churchill was declared Lord Protector on behalf of King James II, who was contesting the throne with the Dutch William but had the power of the French behind him. Churchill then publicly assassinated James and declared for the Protestant succession, but this caused so much rumpus that Churchill ended up being killed (or maybe not?) in a dual with the Catholic Earl Marshall, Lord Norfolk, who is currently trying to organise a government in support of James III. Meanwhile the French (under a new player) were withdrawing from England but still making a pig's ear of fighting-off the Austrians (now joined by the Spanish Hapsbergs and the Dutch). The new French player then dropped, and has just been replaced by another new player, whose character is currently under siege by the Austrians somewhere in the south (?) of France. Luckily the Ottoman Empire has been largely somnolent throughout all this. Come back to me if you have any specific areas of interest you'd like more detail on...
    Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 458
    Registration date : 2011-07-01

Post by Basileus Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:56 pm

Hi Mark
    I am the Austrian player, but I am not certain with the rules of the forum if I am allowed to directly offer any assistance through the forum. But I believe that there should be a lot of opportunities available to a swashbuckler player. I would just say that I would always try to help a Swashbuckler player when in a Glory of Kings role.

Post by Guest Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:24 pm

As the original French player, Jim's summary is reasonably fair, though misses much of the background which explains the actions of players.

It should be noted that France declared war on England following the refusal of England (under several players) to honour her treaty over dredgers which caused a great deal of damage to France. Austria then dishonourably attacked France, breaking her own peace treaty only a few months after it was signed. This was the latest in a line of Austrian aggression against other players including Saxony and Prussia. With her pre-emptive strike Austria marched into a few undefended or lightly held towns where the defences were unfinished, but failed to make any headway whenever a sizeable French force was encountered. From posts on the forum it is unclear precisely why Austria went to war or what her war aims are. Perhaps it will become clear during the peace conference?

The war became increasingly bitter due to an effective propaganda campaign, and a series of huge bribes by which Austria dragged in several other nations against France, including UDP and Spain. Despite such seemingly overwhelming odds and France being inactive for a while, France successfully concluded its campaign in England, replacing a series of dishonourable governments with the new administration led by the much more honourable and civilized Duke of Norfolk in the name of King James III. Playing with honour is a new experience for English players and naturally has brought some criticism from Hapsburg players who have relied on anti-French propaganda to keep their coalition together.

The latest attack, presumably designed to wreck the Yorktown peace conference (called by Austria) was a pre-emptive strike by Spain on the city of Dublin, loyal to King James III which sank some French ships. This looks like it has triggered war between England/France and Spain, though no formal declaration of war has been made and France has not yet made any statement or attacked Spain in response. It isn't clear why Spain attacked and what its war objectives are. It isn't particularly clear why UDP is fighting either, though receiving another £1M+ from Austria could have something to do with it. What nobody can understand is why Austria is handing out such lavish bribes if she has any intention of negotiating peace at the peace conference she called? Austria continues to fight on despite the Pope asking for her troops to withdraw from France. The Pope has not yet criticised Spain for its attacks on England, but perhaps Spain simply made a mistake. I suppose it is easy to send 60SoL to blow hell out of a foreign port by accident, but it takes an astonishing level of naivety to simply expect England to ignore such an attack, let alone accept a proposal from a Spanish Princess. I've heard of shotgun weddings, but never one where the groom is expected to marry or see his towns blown up!

Far from being defeated (or "making a pig's ear of fighting off the Austrians" as Jim suggests) France has just held off a bungled assault on the town of Chalons-sur-Marne, to the east of Paris (not the far south of France), by "the best paid soldiers in Europe" (Prince Eugene's Guard). Despite Hapsburg propaganda claiming that France is determined to conquer Europe, the reality is that since the start of LGDR France has not declared war on any nation which did not first break its treaty with France, so can hardly be seen as aggressive. It should also be noted that French armies have not lost a major battle since 1652 (during the French Civil War known as the Fronde), and the French navy destroyed a vastly superior English fleet at the Battle of Medway in 1704, from which point it has been in undisputed control of the Channel.

The G7 France vs England thread will probably tell you all you need to know about how certain players have conducted themselves in the game, though you will probably learn more from back issues of the newspaper. If you are confused having read all these, join the club!

There are limitations on the forum and through the messaging system how much can be discussed. It is far better to write letters in the game to the relevant players. I don't know fully how Swashbuckler works, but if you do decide to enter the middle of a war between two opposing camps you may find it very difficult to survive the attentions of one side or the other, being arrested or killed as a suspect spy. As a single character I am sure there are lots of things you could do to have an interesting time without becoming a pawn in someone else's war.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2601
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:27 pm

Ref playing a Austrian Swashbuckler Character in G7 the main background points would seem to be:

1) If you join the Hapsburg Military you can probably swap around the Armies of Austria, Imperial Germany, Spain, Flanders and Spanish Colonial forces like the Foreign Legion which I think is based in Oman. The Disadvantage of joining the Hapsburg Military Machine it that the Bourbons have nicer Uniforms and you could get killed by the French.

2) If you do not fancy the home country military there is a perfectly good Northern War going on. The Czar will probably be happy to employ anyone who knows how to point a musket the right way or if you want glory rather than cash you can join the elite German Guard Regts of the Swedish Army.

3) For danger, profit and an even higher Chance of getting killed you can always join the "Austrian Navy" though it should probably be noted that the Austrian Navy mostly consists of a hand full of Clerks with a bundle of letters of Marque. The good news is that these seem to work fine when flogging prizes etc the bad news is that the French Navy will probably put your letter somewhere the Son does not shine just before they hang you.

4) If you do not fancy the military plenty of career openning for traders and general spying but sadly Europe and Austria lacks the thrills and spills of England or even the America's

Post by Guest Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:58 pm

Now Mark, a man of youth, of vision, of enterprise such as yourself should look east...to the far east surely...get in with the Chinese...surely?

Last edited by Jason on Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
    MarkTurner26
    MarkTurner26
    Marquess
    Marquess

Post by MarkTurner26 Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:59 am

Basileus wrote:Hi Mark
    I am the Austrian player, but I am not certain with the rules of the forum if I am allowed to directly offer any assistance through the forum. But I believe that there should be a lot of opportunities available to a swashbuckler player. I would just say that I would always try to help a Swashbuckler player when in a Glory of Kings role.

All I can say for both purpose and the rules as well as for what can only be desribed as good gaming, that I am heading to vienna with all haste, well trying to anyway, that depends on Richard he may have more instore for me on the way there.

Ref playing a Austrian Swashbuckler Character in G7 the main background points would seem to be:

1) If you join the Hapsburg Military you can probably swap around the Armies of Austria, Imperial Germany, Spain, Flanders and Spanish Colonial forces like the Foreign Legion which I think is based in Oman. The Disadvantage of joining the Hapsburg Military Machine it that the Bourbons have nicer Uniforms and you could get killed by the French.

Well being of Hungarian descent I think the Austrian army sounds the best bet otherwise my characters dad will disown him, and cant have that...
    MarkTurner26
    MarkTurner26
    Marquess
    Marquess

Post by MarkTurner26 Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:02 am

All in all thanks guys for the run down, I will take the time to read the thread, I get the newspaper also so I will be able to keep ontop of things now. There was a lot of detail there, and I am hoping that my Persia game in game 6 heats up in just the same way, although I am looking forward to the time when I can play one of the big boys in Europe.
    The Hessian
    Lord
    Lord

Number of posts : 85
    Registration date : 2010-09-28

Whats Happening in Game 7 Empty Buckle your swash and watch out in game 6

Post by The Hessian Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:23 pm

Good luck in Vienna, if Richard slows you down any call in at Munich, a jewel of a city. As for the French, don't believe a word yesterdays nation, plague , festering vapour headed dandies who cannot win at anything. Dutch navy owns the Channel and even the English are trying to keep it out. France is knackered and needs a good peace now or it will fold into terrible famine and civil war. Last King was a dandy who felt everyone was against him and he was right in everything. That's why his armies are badly traine dbut superbly dressed and runa way to Paris so much. Enjoy the swash and also Game 6 where you seem to be having minority problems!!
    MarkTurner26
    MarkTurner26
    Marquess
    Marquess

Post by MarkTurner26 Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:27 pm

Ha ha ha I am not in game 6 anymore just in Game 2 now as Hungary, wanted to get a bit more practice in. I am a swash on my way back to Vienna to see my mate Captain Mueller.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 18, 2024 7:14 am