Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

4 posters

Exploring for Phantom Lands

Exploring for Phantom Lands Empty Exploring for Phantom Lands

Post by Guest Wed May 21, 2014 10:08 pm

Been having an interesting discussion about phantom islands appearing on maps-places like Hy-Brasil, Frisland and Saint Brendan's Island.

What came up in the discussions was that apparently people were looking for, and 'finding', Brendan's Island in 18th Century http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Brendan's_Island#Early_Modern_Age

Just a random thought, has anyone ever gone looking for it in game?
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Exploring for Phantom Lands Empty Re: Exploring for Phantom Lands

Post by Deacon Wed May 21, 2014 10:50 pm

No, but I think you trust that the map is exactly the same at your peril. It seems very Richard to me to tweak history and geography a bit to keep players from getting too complacent.
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1239
    Registration date : 2012-02-16

Post by J Flower Fri May 23, 2014 8:17 am

There are a Number of "Fantasy" Lands that can be searched for, Consider that Africa is virtually unexplored by Europeans, the coastline has been mapped but the Interior remains an unknown. Timbuktu for example is known to possiably exsist, but was first visited( officially) by Europeans in 1824.

Would suggest having a look at the "Lost Worlds" by John Howe, There a number of points on Lost/Fanztasy worlds are put foward. In the Game the search by the Spanish vor Elderado in South America, may also be an idea.

Australia is also an idea for the bold adventurer.

Or maybe search for the lost kingdom of King John.

Mounting/financing expeditions to unexplored areas( Unexplored by civilised Europeans, The natives don't count they simply live there) Is maybe a tiny slice of the game that hasn't been explored yet( Intentional pun) Surley it will addd to the Honour of your Empire to have various explores searching the globe on your behalf?
    Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1673
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by Kingmaker Fri May 23, 2014 4:04 pm

players have tried this for time to time, you usually read about "lost expiditions" or missing such such character and his troops/ships etc.....
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1239
    Registration date : 2012-02-16

Post by J Flower Fri May 23, 2014 6:31 pm

G2 Prussia has Australia as a colony, Spain has New Zealand. Admitted the expedition to find the Barring Strait was not successful, However I think following the Rivers of Africa should be a possability.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Fri May 23, 2014 7:24 pm

I would imagine that the risks of such expeditions are pretty high, higher than prospecting parties which I lose on a regular basis.

So, even if the phantom lands exist, it wouldn't be trivial to find them.

Post by Guest Fri May 23, 2014 10:20 pm

Thanks for the comments Smile There could be some potential in a search for some of the phantom lands...I wonder if doing so will boost honour or diminish it (noble quest or what a bunch of loonies).

Interesting you should mention John in your post Jason as he is a mate of my other half (she is an amateur artist in addition to her day job), he says he took some inspiration from her work for his work on the Tolkien films and tried to get New Line/Jackson to agree to her being his 'assistant' on the Ring films, without success.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2568
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat May 24, 2014 9:17 am

J Flower wrote:G2 Prussia has Australia as a colony, Spain has New Zealand. Admitted the expedition to find the Barring Strait was not successful, However I think following the Rivers of Africa should be a possability.

Ref sending missions up the Rivers of Africa/America - a trip up the Congo into the "Heart of Darkness" is a good way to get eat while a trip to find the source of the Nile or the Orinoco etc would seem to be a good way to end up in an Ottoman/Iberian Jail.

Normally send NPC's who annoy me to distant or nasty diplomatic postings like Napal, The Apache, Hanover etc but perhaps sending them to find the North West Passage or the source of the Nile etc might make an interesting alternative.

Believe in one game a player made a determined effort to find the NW passage.......Ship got stuck in the Ice and this lead to crew members being eat which seems to have hurt the sponsor's honour score.

Post by Guest Sat May 24, 2014 9:06 pm

Ahhh...Sturart...but Hanover doesn't really exist...
    Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1673
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by Kingmaker Sun May 25, 2014 10:36 am

or it soon will not....  Exploring for Phantom Lands 1766351431 
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Tue May 27, 2014 10:25 pm

Jason wrote:Ahhh...Sturart...but Hanover doesn't really exist...

Ahhh........so these stories about the fabled 7th Electorate a dark land of ancient and evil forests, frozen lakes and peat bogs ruled by a
    7 foot tall spawn of Satan, the last abode of those broken and cursed men known as the Janassy Corp.........are in actual fact a German Myth spread to scare the French into staying on their side of the Rhine.

And Kingmaker and his Goat are in no danger of being turned into into a Kabab any time soon.

Well I must day that is a relief Very Happy 

Post by Guest Thu May 29, 2014 9:17 am

Stuart Bailey wrote:
    Jason wrote:Ahhh...Sturart...but Hanover doesn't really exist...

Ahhh........so these stories about the fabled 7th Electorate a dark land of ancient and evil forests, frozen lakes and peat bogs ruled by a
    7 foot tall spawn of Satan, the last abode of those broken and cursed men known as the Janassy Corp.........are in actual fact a German Myth spread to scare the French into staying on their side of the Rhine.

And Kingmaker and his Goat are in no danger of being turned into into a Kabab any time soon.

Well I must day that is a relief Very Happy 

Damn you Sir...NOW the French will be pouring across the border...and it's all your fault  Very Happy 
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Thu May 29, 2014 8:41 pm

I am hurt, wounded by the charge that if the French invade the HRE (again) its all my doing!

I would have you know that in G2 by character has killed more of the French Papists than anyone else.

If they do invade again I look forward to seeing how the Elector's Janissary Corp does? Their were a total liability to the Ottomans in G2 but will probably fight really well for Hanover just to spite the Sultan.

On the subject of French invasion's of the Empire have any French players managed to achieve France's "Natural Frontier" on the Rhine yet?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content