Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

4 posters

Period Royal Wedding

Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Period Royal Wedding Empty Period Royal Wedding

Post by Deacon Sun May 06, 2018 4:40 pm

I've got a royal wedding to write for Game 8 and I'm hoping some of those who are more knowledgable in period can help. Does anybody have any pointers to a good source on the proper period wedding dress, mass, and customs for a Spanish/Portuguese Royal wedding? That it will be ridiculously over the top goes without saying, but are the crazy long trains period? Are there other wedding customs I should make sure to include (Bedding seems to be heading out of fashion around now, and I think I'll give that one a pass.)

revvaughan
    revvaughan
    King
    King

Number of posts : 778
    Registration date : 2008-07-15

Period Royal Wedding Empty Re: Period Royal Wedding

Post by revvaughan Mon May 07, 2018 3:38 am

We British are in the same position in a few months as well. I would certainly be interested in the same information if anyone has anything that we can use.

Post by Guest Mon May 07, 2018 1:32 pm

Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Number of posts : 661
    Registration date : 2015-08-15

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Mon May 07, 2018 3:34 pm

I thought to suggest looking into Mary Tudor's marriage to Phillip of Spain. But seemingly the event didn't have much to it to help, here.

http://thetudorenthusiast.weebly.com/my-tudor-blog/the-marriage-of-queen-mary-i-and-philip-ii-of-spain

I also thought, maybe, something could be found from the marriage of Charles II and Catherine of Braganza. But it doesn't seem to have been a grand affair that anything could be taken from.

Bit of a toughie.

For some reason I'm now remembering Horatio Hornblower's wedding morning, in the books and the Ioan Gruffud tv series, and event of the Wedding Breakfast. Obviously English, not royal, and not our period, however.
    The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 489
    Registration date : 2008-08-03

Post by The Revenant Tue May 08, 2018 10:45 am

(Ahem.) I hope your wedding orders will allow some scope for last-minute-arriving guests... (Not that I've cocked my transport timing up or anything.)
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Tue May 08, 2018 10:53 am

Seems like transport in the last month or two has been a bit dicey for several folks.
    The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 489
    Registration date : 2008-08-03

Post by The Revenant Thu May 10, 2018 10:54 am

In response to the initial enquiry... there doesn't seem to be a lot easily identifiable via the web.  I did find this https://thisisversaillesmadame.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/wedding-of-duc-de-bourgogne-marie.html but it's mostly about the "bedding" ceremony, and this, which is very brief https://marie-antoinettequeenoffrance.blogspot.co.uk/2010/05/most-splendid-toilette.html about the same "most lavish" wedding (that it's a Fench one is pure coincidence...)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 1:31 am