Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

2 posters

SWASHBUCKLER Question on Aptitudes

tkolter
    tkolter
    Viscount
    Viscount

Number of posts : 160
    Registration date : 2018-06-15

SWASHBUCKLER Question on Aptitudes Empty SWASHBUCKLER Question on Aptitudes

Post by tkolter Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:57 pm

I need to ask something in the rulebook it states a an aptitude represents and I quote:

These are things you are outstandingly good at.

Okay now lets take my character I have the Merchant type and the aptitudes: Cloth maker, Persuasion and Shoemaking. Now lets look at this as a Merchant there should be many implied common aptitude I mean he likely knows about goods, can handle ledgers and should be functionally literate enough for the Merchant work I mean reading invoices and common documents even if not overly good (examples from learning to be one). He can sensibly and do well working with cloth and making footwear and repairing this well over an average person without that training. And can haggle and persuade people so is good at trying to get better prices for things and should be successful in that.

So how does this work if I don't want to learn the skill Reading & Writing and her work as a Purser on a Corsair ship a goal I have would he be able to read and write enough for his work but not fancy enough for writing letters so no in game tangible benefit of a free letter?

I could note other ones a Rural living person might know a bit of swimming but not be a strong one, a civilized person seems to have some minor merchanting things like they could work in a shop well enough and I would assume a Poacher could shoot a gun even if not good at it.

And would Henri being on a Corsair ship pick up off the skill lost skills especially if a Sailor (Corsair Ship) is gained I mean I can't picture him not learning some blade fighting and shooting enough to not be an embarrassment but might not earn the skill that seems a higher level talent formed a dedicated fighting man same with shooting.

Well just asking about it but it seems there is skills that have high talent and ordinary expected things a character can do but don't stand out.
    Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1673
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

SWASHBUCKLER Question on Aptitudes Empty Re: SWASHBUCKLER Question on Aptitudes

Post by Kingmaker Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:51 am

Yup can have him learn skills from another character for instance he wants to learn to ride he finds a a stable and asks to learn to ride if he spends six months doing this he will be good 12 months excellent . If he does say 2 months he will have some idea of riding bottom line you need learn for 6 months to be competent
    Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1673
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by Kingmaker Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:53 am

Also if you do not have reading and writing then you will struggle to read letters etc and write notes etc.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:26 pm