Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

3 posters

The Praetorians….

Regor
    Regor
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 349
    Registration date : 2010-02-15

The Praetorians…. Empty The Praetorians….

Post by Regor Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:04 pm

Gents - how do we crush the reblels? Asking for a friend!

Frankly I have been involved in a three player ‘coordinated’ attempt. A weary pursuit with a low morale legion. (And you know how that ended), and so with tired troops, some with low morale and less than parity with the disloyal supermen… wither now?

All suggestions will be seriously considered.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2568
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

The Praetorians…. Empty Re: The Praetorians….

Post by Stuart Bailey Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:21 am

Regor wrote:Gents - how do we crush the reblels? Asking for a friend!

Frankly I have been involved in a three player ‘coordinated’ attempt. A weary pursuit with a low morale legion. (And you know how that ended), and so with tired troops, some with low morale and less than parity with the disloyal supermen… wither now?

All suggestions will be seriously considered.

Can someone arrange another lightning strike or something to remove Cordus? Cut the head from the snake type of thing?

On the bright side the rebels are now out in the open again so Cavalry should he able to harass, cut up forage parties etc and generally delay them enough for the two Rhine Legions to them up and finish them off.

In theory with over double the amount of Infantry and cavalry dominance it should then be an easy victory for the Rhine Legions. But on the other had Pompey had double Ceasars Infantry numbers and four times as much horse and we all know how that ended.

Regor likes this post

Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Number of posts : 676
    Registration date : 2019-06-16

Post by Jason2 Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:18 pm

I wish I could offer some useful ideas but as Regor says we're dealing with Supermen, whatever we do, they will have another magical skill to overcome us it seems...this feels like fighting the Poles in G7...or perhaps some sort of "Kobayashi Maru" scenario, no matter what we do, the other side will always have one more trick or advantage.

I did wonder if rather than engaging them directly, we could herd them somewhere like an isolated peninsula with few resources or a hilltop and basically blockade them in, maybe even copying the sort of investment defences Julius built at Alesia to keep Vercingetorix penned in and starve them out...obviously outwith the need for the additional fortifications to hold off a relief force though thinking about it and given the way the game is going, maybe a relief force would appear out of somewhere...

Regor likes this post

Regor
    Regor
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 349
    Registration date : 2010-02-15

Post by Regor Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:51 pm

Gentlemen, thank you but Jason "the German" [to separate him from Parthian Jason] has played a blinder really....

His liberation of Brundisium (and recapture of the port/shipping) will allow Genius's ships to re-supply and gives us 2 proper Rhine legions an Auxilliary legion and the rump of the legion with Low Morale.

I kick myself for allowing that to be present/continue since the start of the game......

Anyhow I hope that with some horse troops around we can keep the rebels pinned or covered.....

And pop their myth of invincibility.

Geminus is grateful to have completed his year as Consul and to have been granted the proconsular province of Dalmatia.

Finally a hint was received that the recovery of the Italian lands could mean that regular taxation of the City would be a) unnecessary and b) bloody to impose?

And finally, finally there must be a way to get the Senate to provide support and advice to the 'players' and not just cause chaos?
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2568
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Wed May 01, 2024 11:26 am

Regor wrote:Gentlemen, thank you but Jason "the German" [to separate him from Parthian Jason] has played a blinder really....

His liberation of Brundisium (and recapture of the port/shipping) will allow Genius's ships to re-supply and gives us 2 proper Rhine legions an Auxilliary legion and the rump of the legion with Low Morale.

I kick myself for allowing that to be present/continue since the start of the game......

Anyhow I hope that with some horse troops around we can keep the rebels pinned or covered.....

And pop their myth of invincibility.

Geminus is grateful to have completed his year as Consul and to have been granted the proconsular province of Dalmatia.

Finally a hint was received that the recovery of the Italian lands could mean that regular taxation of the City would be a) unnecessary and b) bloody to impose?

And finally, finally there must be a way to get the Senate to provide support and advice to the 'players' and not just cause chaos?

Now they are out in the open and away from shipping I have every confidence that the Cavalry of out greatly admired Pro-Consul will be able to delay the rebels for long enough for the Rhine Legions to catch up and finally at long last end the revolt of Cordus and avenge the murder of our beloved Nero. Not quite victory over Parthia but a feather in the caps of the players in question.

Rather less confidence that the NPC parts of the Senate will suddenly start to offer sage advise and help to player characters. Think if players want information with a particular issue they need to ask via Agema a detailed question to the office holder with responsibility for the issue in question or Senator from that area in question......may even need use of "influence". Asking the full 600 members (now 400 and something) from the floor of the Senate will be just viwed as a speech and the Senator who can answer correctly is probably in his office working rather than hanging round in the Senate.

With very high chance that the famed agent of the chaos gods on mount agema who is always in Senate - Senator Claudius will get up with a suggestion which will cause the max amount of harm and chaos while seemig vaguely reasonable and historic on the surface.

Regor likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 9:40 am