Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+20
Thelittleemperor
Rozwi_Game10
jamesbond007
The Revenant
Ardagor
Bearlord
Nexus06
count-de-monet
The Hessian
mmcdhoward
Regor
MarkTurner26
J Flower
Goldstar
Kingmaker
Basileus
one grain of grain
Stuart Bailey
Deacon
Redtroop44
24 posters

The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.

Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 479
    Registration date : 2015-04-14

The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.  - Page 29 Empty Re: The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.

Post by Nexus06 Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:15 am

I believe G9 is the only with a monthly recap excellently made by Goldstar, which is certainly a plus for G9 Smile
    Goldstar
    Earl
    Earl

Number of posts : 187
    Registration date : 2010-09-13

The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.  - Page 29 Empty Re: The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.

Post by Goldstar Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:26 pm

[quote="Nexus06"]I believe G9 is the only with a monthly recap excellently made by Goldstar, which is certainly a plus for G9 Smile[/quote
    Thanks Nexus06, but Mr Bailey is the master of the recap. Apologies for not mentioning the Tsar, I can be rather Euro-centric. I am sure that the actions of the new Grand Vizier will rally the Orthodox People to the Tsar and Holy mother Russia.
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Nexus06 Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:32 pm

Goldstar wrote:
    Nexus06 wrote:I believe G9 is the only with a monthly recap excellently made by Goldstar, which is certainly a plus for G9 Smile[/quote
    Thanks Nexus06, but Mr Bailey is the master of the recap.  Apologies for not mentioning the Tsar, I can be rather Euro-centric.  I am sure that the actions of the new Grand Vizier will rally the Orthodox People to the Tsar and Holy mother Russia.

Surely in this moment central europe is the top of the news! Peter is enjoying a well earned holiday, but being Russia, Sweden, Poland and Ottoman all active things can be rather interesting Smile
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Number of posts : 676
    Registration date : 2019-06-16

Post by Jason2 Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:27 pm

Goldstar wrote:
    Jason2 wrote:Thanks Goldstar, an excellent summary as always Smile

I am rather amused that as Lord Fong I am in danger of becoming the soft, cuddly face of the Empire Very Happy   Whatever next?  An Ottoman player who doesn't cut bits off everyone all the time? Very Happy

I forgot to mention the Grand Vizier is an admirer of Lord Fong, which does not bode well for his future relations with the West.

Clearly the Grand Vizier is an intelligent and insightful man Wink

Post by Guest Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:45 am

As a practicing Sunni Muslim, I have to give the Grand Vizier player a lot of credit on his rhetoric. If he is not a Muslim himself, he is putting in a lot of effort to get the nuance.
    & Lord Yea, interestingly, is using Ang Moh Kow, which is from Hokkien (original dialect from the Fujian province).
    A very enjoyable turn, you can almost feel the ground shifting as you read the paper...
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2568
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:33 am

I am rather amused that as Lord Fong I am in danger of becoming the soft, cuddly face of the Empire Very Happy   Whatever next?  An Ottoman player who doesn't cut bits off everyone all the time? Very Happy

Not all Ottomans cut bits off everyone all the time......some prefer to all bits like stakes!
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:34 am

Stuart Bailey wrote:

Not all Ottomans cut bits off everyone all the time......some prefer to add bits like stakes!
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:56 am

Kerensky wrote:As a practicing Sunni Muslim, I have to give the Grand Vizier player a lot of credit on his rhetoric. If he is not a Muslim himself, he is putting in a lot of effort to get the nuance.
    & Lord Yea, interestingly, is using Ang Moh Kow, which is from Hokkien (original dialect from the Fujian province).
    A very enjoyable turn, you can almost feel the ground shifting as you read the paper...

It is one of the great things about this game, so often players are either playing a position that they have a cultural connection with or they take the time to do the research into the position so they get the nuances right Smile

I have wondered if who is playing Lord Yea is from that part of the world, looking at their actions so far as reported in the paper, I get the feeling they are more natural playing a Chinese Lord than I am (if that makes sense?). I did notice the use of Ang Moh Kow too.

Looking at the G8 posts, I get the feeling it's not just in G9 that we're finding the ground shifting

Post by Guest Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:46 pm

Jason2 wrote:
    Kerensky wrote:As a practicing Sunni Muslim, I have to give the Grand Vizier player a lot of credit on his rhetoric. If he is not a Muslim himself, he is putting in a lot of effort to get the nuance.

It is one of the great things about this game, so often players are either playing a position that they have a cultural connection with or they take the time to do the research into the position so they get the nuances right Smile

I have wondered if who is playing Lord Yea is from that part of the world, looking at their actions so far as reported in the paper, I get the feeling they are more natural playing a Chinese Lord than I am (if that makes sense?).  I did notice the use of Ang Moh Kow too.

Looking at the G8 posts, I get the feeling it's not just in G9 that we're finding the ground shifting

On Lord Yea, I agree. If someone was using Mandarin, it could be Google Fu. Hokkien dialect suggests old Asia hand, or ethnic Chinese player. Given the depth of research on the Chinese government structures, I am leaning towards the latter.
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:28 pm

I'm glad you've said that Kerensky as it makes me feel more confident in my thinking on who my new team mate in Team China is. I do like to think I am trying to play Kwantung in a realistic manner but fully acknowledge I am coming from a biased (even if sub-conscious) western outlook. The idea of having someone who can help correct my errors in playing the position is quite exciting Smile

Must admit only met two people capable of using Hokkien, one an exe, the other the rather elderly founder of a Bath museum who spent most of his life in China. Me? I can just about cope with English with a bit of Doric, Gaelic and Scottish Wink
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1239
    Registration date : 2012-02-16

Post by J Flower Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:13 am

Now your down in the West Country try & get out on the land, there is a good chance of learning a foreign language in the shires, cider was created to help outsiders understand it better.
    tkolter
    tkolter
    Viscount
    Viscount

Number of posts : 160
    Registration date : 2018-06-15

Post by tkolter Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:59 am

I'm over in Game 10 but might do a minor position in this game I have some ideas I will bounce off of the GM. Very Happy

Post by Guest Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:04 am

You are always welcome in G9. I find it thoroughly enjoyable, with a an active Europe & India & Far East.
    tkolter
    tkolter
    Viscount
    Viscount

Post by tkolter Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:00 pm

I put in for an Ottoman Turkish Pirate to reave, rape and pillage Christians and retreat to Ottoman Ports if needed and will be sure local leaders get a share of the spoils, choice slaves and other perks to look the other way. ^_^

Well Ottoman and Muslim ships are not his prey.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:19 pm

This happened in Game 8 to me as Hispania.

Ottoman Tunis gave them a port in exchange for whatever passed for bribes from the pirates, so I blockaded the ports and threatened war. I also burned the pirate fleet in the harbor. I think it ended up costing ottoman tunis a lot more in lost trade income than they ever got from the pirates. Fortunately wiser Ottoman heads prevailed and it didn't come to war.

I think the assumption that hiding in ottoman lands and attacking christians isn't going to cause blowback is a bit naive. Most of the christian powers near Ottoman lands have good navies that can retaliate.

tkolter
    tkolter
    Viscount
    Viscount

Post by tkolter Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:50 am

I'm figuring cunning over force I have a strategy which should keep the navies off guard for some time OR I could be a Privateer and trade when no war is going on if I decide to play it easier.
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:11 am

Think maybe the initial part of the cunning plan would be not letting anyone know you were playing it, which may give you a couple of turns play before people catch on that a pirate position is active.

Being enclosed in the Med limits the places you can run.
    Didn't G9 recently get a new GV? Wonder how he will react to the Christians burning his ports. Could be the start of a Crusade. Similar thing happened in G2 many moons ago.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:39 pm

J Flower wrote:Think maybe the initial part of the cunning plan would  be not letting anyone   know you were playing it, which may give you a couple of turns play before people catch on that  a pirate position is active.

Being enclosed in the Med limits the places you can run.
    Didn't G9 recently get a new GV? Wonder how he will react to the Christians burning his ports. Could be the start of a Crusade. Similar thing happened in G2 many moons ago.

In game 8, the grand vizier helped resolve the issue. I demanded a pretty modest compensation from Tunis (more for the point of it than the actual cash). I got it, the pirates got ended, and peace was restored in the Med.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:29 pm

tkolter wrote:I'm figuring cunning over force I have a strategy which should keep the navies off guard for some time OR I could be a Privateer and trade when no war is going on if I decide to play it easier.

Historically, and probably in game think the key to a long and profitable career as a barbary corsair is avoiding the ships of major Naval powers - England, France, Spain, UDP and player characters.

NPC's and minor powers are likely to view the odd loss as a "risk of the sea" like storms and take a fairly calm view. Major Naval powers esp runs by players tend to view such losses a direct insult to Spanish Machismo and the like and spend vastly more money on hunting you down than a few merchant ships cost them.

Faced with a King of France, Spain, England etc with smoke pouring out of his ears the wise Ottoman bey is going to work on basis that you are not playing by the accepted rules of game and throw you and your ship to the wolves.

G2 was a sad story of people not playing by the rules & mis-understanding. Firstly the Sultan of the Moors and the Bey of Egypt were not just turning a blind eye their was evidence that they were actively backing the Corsairs who were not only attacking NPC & minor powers ships. Then when faced with a active anti Pirate alliance lead by the Bourbon Powers of France & Spain they responded with insults rather than just giving up a few naughty Barbary Corsairs.

At this point the poor overworked underpaid & sadly misunderstood Layerbey of Rumelia was all in favour of the Egyptian Janissary Corp getting a kicking but thought that the "Bourbon Protectorate of Egypt" ripping the Ottoman Empire in half and a proposed French take over of the Rumelian owned and operated suez canal was a bit much.

Perhaps the seizure of Venice and offer to swap it for Egypt may have been a bit lacking in diplomatic finese but I still say that calling a Crusade against a poor, underpaid, overworked and misunderstood Ottoman Civil Servent rather than talking was a over reaction!

If all the Bourbons had wanted in G2 was tkolter head on a plate Rumelia would have been happy to hand it over gift wrapped and on a solid gold platter.
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:57 pm

I guess the issue in G9 is the powers have built up their fleets and you'll going to struggle to find somewhere where they don't have large fleets to deal with naughty pirates? The English, Spanish and French all have strong fleets in European waters, while in the Far East it's not just the Chinese anti-piracy patrols you'd have to avoid but the Dutch and Spanish resident naval forces who will only be too happy to deal with pirates I'm sure.

Perhaps the West Indies, African or Indian waters would be better?
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Nexus06 Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:53 am

I suggest to avoid piracy in the Baltics.

Sweden seems to be very touchy about ships other than yours that come into it.

(just heard it)
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:40 am

Barbary Corsairs in the Baltic!

Could be interesting to read of the adventures of Captain Ahab & his motley crew, please keep us non 9 players posted as to his exploits.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:36 pm

J Flower wrote:Barbary Corsairs in the Baltic!

Could be interesting to read of the adventures of Captain Ahab  & his motley crew, please keep us non 9 players posted as to his exploits.

I thought the rights to Baltic Piracy were shared between the Scots and the Dunkirkers..........Captain Ahab & his motley crew could end up on pursued by crack Scots lawyers if he starts to operate in other peoples waters.
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:30 pm

I don't know, more anti-Scottish slander...the Scots have never engaged in piracy...

...true, certain enterprising Scottish sailors did undertake a progressive and creative industry of undertaking commercial exchanges at sea where they became renowned for their ability to achieve good bargains from other ship captains, for almost next to nothing sometimes. But it wasn't piracy, I mean a Lord Provost of Aberdeen was involved in the trade, and can you imagine such a noble and upstanding individual being involved in such a base crime as piracy?
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:03 pm

Is it actually physically possible to be Noble & upstanding in Aberdeen? especially on a Saturday night after 10 o'clock!

Sounds as if they were engaged in a wealth redistribution project rather than piracy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 3:07 pm