Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+20
Thelittleemperor
Rozwi_Game10
jamesbond007
The Revenant
Ardagor
Bearlord
Nexus06
count-de-monet
The Hessian
mmcdhoward
Regor
MarkTurner26
J Flower
Goldstar
Kingmaker
Basileus
one grain of grain
Stuart Bailey
Deacon
Redtroop44
24 posters

The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.

count-de-monet
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 379
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.  - Page 39 Empty Re: The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.

Post by count-de-monet Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:45 am

Here in Versailles we just assumed the celestial body discovered by Russia was King Louis XIV himself !
    Maybe the new planet should be called "Louis" - its a wonderful name. My name is Louis, my sons name is Louis, my grandsons name is Louis, my wife's name is Louis, my dogs name is Louis. I do remember we once had a debate for two seconds on to what to call a new type of rose in the Versailles gardens but we decided to settle on the "Louis Rose".
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2568
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.  - Page 39 Empty Re: The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.

Post by Stuart Bailey Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:19 pm

count-de-monet wrote:Here in Versailles we just assumed the celestial body discovered by Russia was King Louis XIV himself !  
    Maybe the new planet should be called "Louis" - its a wonderful name.  My name is Louis, my sons name is Louis, my grandsons name is Louis, my wife's name is Louis, my dogs name is Louis.  I do remember we once had a debate for two seconds on to what to call a new type of rose in the Versailles gardens but we decided to settle on the "Louis Rose".

And if you think that is bad look at Hapsburg female names - How many Maria's can one family need.
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 479
    Registration date : 2015-04-14

Post by Nexus06 Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:56 pm

Stuart Bailey wrote:
    count-de-monet wrote:Here in Versailles we just assumed the celestial body discovered by Russia was King Louis XIV himself !  
    Maybe the new planet should be called "Louis" - its a wonderful name.  My name is Louis, my sons name is Louis, my grandsons name is Louis, my wife's name is Louis, my dogs name is Louis.  I do remember we once had a debate for two seconds on to what to call a new type of rose in the Versailles gardens but we decided to settle on the "Louis Rose".

And if you think that is bad look at Hapsburg female names - How many Maria's can one family need.
    The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.  - Page 39 Unknow10
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Number of posts : 676
    Registration date : 2019-06-16

Post by Jason2 Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:20 pm

All these Louis and Maria remind me of being at uni in Wales studying archaeology...and just about 99% of blokes up until 1500 were called Llywelyn, Gruffudd or Dafydd
    Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 366
    Registration date : 2009-01-23

Post by Marshal Bombast Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:20 pm

Jason2 wrote:All these Louis and Maria remind me of being at uni in Wales studying archaeology...and just about 99% of blokes up until 1500 were called Llywelyn, Gruffudd or Dafydd

Something else in common there Jason. I studied Ancient and Medieval History at UWCC. Think you're right about the naming originality Smile

Jason2 likes this post

Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:21 pm

Jason2 wrote:All these Louis and Maria remind me of being at uni in Wales studying archaeology...and just about 99% of blokes up until 1500 were called Llywelyn, Gruffudd or Dafydd

Romans have a few more names think Gaius, Marcus and Lucius probably only about 70% but they do seem rather fond of I am Marcus Ulpus Trajan and so is my father and son approach.  Sometimes across hundreds of years in some families.

Marshal Bombast and Jason2 like this post

Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:55 pm

Marshal Bombast wrote:

Something else in common there Jason. I studied Ancient and Medieval History at UWCC.  Think you're right about the naming originality Smile

I spent 3 years at Trinity Collage, Carmarthen back in the late 90s as a "mature student", an...interesting...time Very Happy

and Stuart-the Roman men seemed to have a few more names but at least the Welsh let their women have their own names and not just versions of Daddys Very Happy I know a lot of people joke about the Anglo-Saxon/English names being odd and what have you but at least there were a lot to chose from Very Happy
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Nexus06 Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:15 pm

Jason2 wrote:
    Marshal Bombast wrote:

Something else in common there Jason. I studied Ancient and Medieval History at UWCC.  Think you're right about the naming originality Smile

I spent 3 years at Trinity Collage, Carmarthen back in the late 90s as a "mature student", an...interesting...time Very Happy

and Stuart-the Roman men seemed to have a few more names but at least the Welsh let their women have their own names and not just versions of Daddys Very Happy  I know a lot of people joke about the Anglo-Saxon/English names being odd and what have you but at least there were a lot to chose from Very Happy  

Hi Lads,

I think just a few elements can be added to the discussion over Roman Names. Please note that Romans all had 3 names, the familia names had little variation because it refers to the original forming tribes (3) and widened only a little in th elate republic/early empire. To add lack of creativity, all subjects who gained freedom and citizenship under a certain emperor, were “made Roman’s” by adding the “familia” name of current emperor (so yes, when Marcus Aurelius Severus Antoninus Pius released the Antonine edict (Costitutio anoninianae) in 212 A.D. you had an explosion of “Marcus Aurelius” all around Mediterranean. Later you’ll enjoy a good number of Flavius (an ancient noble family, so a good name when you are a barbarian becoming Roman).

Concerning female names, they had the patronimicum. In the end, they were personal properties off their fathers, and extensions of him, rather than distinc humans being. Also Russia “enjoy” this cultural attitude (No doubt as Moscow is the true third Rome Smile

Hope not being annoying with those extra info (for those who didn’t know of course. I know many here have PhD in History)
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Nexus06 Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:51 pm

Turn in town, isn't Paris the capital of romance?
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:53 pm

Nexus06 wrote:Turn in town, isn't Paris the capital of romance?

No sir, as a certain Mr Blackadder once observed it is a city of men who eats snails and would go to bed with the kitchen sink if it put on a tutu

Not quite the same thing Wink

Nexus06 likes this post

Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Nexus06 Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:28 pm

Jason2 wrote:
    Nexus06 wrote:Turn in town, isn't Paris the capital of romance?

No sir, as a certain Mr Blackadder once observed it is a city of men who eats snails and would go to bed with the kitchen sink if it put on a tutu

Not quite the same thing Wink

So you say "love is in the snails"?

Jason2 likes this post

Goldstar
    Earl
    Earl

Number of posts : 187
    Registration date : 2010-09-13

Post by Goldstar Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:19 pm

Sep 1709 Matchmaker make me a Match.
    1. To celebrate King Louis XIV birthday a lavish performance of one of his favourite plays, The Sorceress and Roger the Knight was performed at Versailles. Some say the play is a reference to King Louis XIV position as the protector of Christendom from the infidels, has anyone told the Sultan? Always a man to make a dramatic entrance the King arrived in a golden chariot dressed as the Sun God Apollo.
    2. The Tsar pushes his son to find a French wife and the Tsarevich happily agrees his eyes falling upon Louise Anne de Bourbon King Louis XIV legitimised granddaughter, as the lady is 14 the wedding may be some time off. Never a man to let a legitimised granddaughter go to waste King Louis is packing off Louise Élisabeth de Bourbon to Vienna to meet the Emperor’s 2nd son Archduke Karl, she is approaching 16. Matchmaker Louis now has his family inline to marry into the Spanish, Russian and possible Austrian royal houses.
    3. Although the French officials kidnapped in Munich have been released, relations remain frosty between France and its former close ally Bavaria.
    4. The Emperor’s attempts to squeeze more troops out of the Reich states have come to naught, some rulers considering they have done more than enough. Louis William, Margrave von Baden-Baden has offered his single battalion army, but as the Margrave is already in the Emperor’s service this is hardly a surprise. The Emperor must had more success in the past a the 37,000 strong Southern Reicharmee marched into the Imperial Free City of Nordhausen to join the troops already being raised in the city.
    5. King Joseph of the Germans has a pleasant journey up Reichsstrasse 1 from Ulm to Breisach. Meanwhile, his sister Archduchess of Austria, Maria Elisabeth opens the Beer and Fox Tossing event in Pilsen, this Germanic Bread and Circuses event now appears an annual fixture. The Bavarians won which is just as well as they decreed that any beer not made in accordance with the Reinheitsgebot purity law is piss. The Hanoverian team won the Emperor’s cup in the barbaric sport of fox tossing.
    6. The Swedes have began withdrawing troops from Danzig, the general commanding the Danzig army General Mardefelt has been immediately arrested for plotting against King Karl XII on his arrival in Stockholm.
    7. A Swedish Army has marched into Libau to the surprise of the local Courland troops, they are there to defend the Duchy against the Russians and Lithuanians? Is the King of Poland aware that one of his vassals is under threat? The Duke of Courland respectfully refused to meet with the Austrian Ambassador, as it might upset his stepfather and mother. Privately the Duke admits he can never be King of Poland due to his Lutheranism, his ambitionious mother does not see this as a problem.
    8. Tsar Peter attends an Orthodox service with his nobility and his soon to be Empress, Catherine. The Tsar is brisling with belligerence towards the Swedes. He supports the Emperor’s ultimatum and King Augustus position as King of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth including its vassals. A great Cossack horde of 60,000 sabres is ready to ride to glory and no doubt booty should their Tsar give the order. Only his respect for the Emperor’s peace efforts have caused him to stay his hand thus far. In recent months Russian scientists have been particularly active in the field of astronomy.
    9. No one expects the Spanish inquisition!!! Unless you are Austrian that is, the Austrian government sees the hand of a Spain either officially or non-officially in all dark deeds no matter where they occur. The Emperor has thanked King Karls XII for removing his troops from Danzig, but an investigation points the finger at Spain as being behind the recent kidnapping of Austrian officials in Ukraine. The Emperor also proposes a multi nation non-aggression pact to secure peace in the boot shaped geographic area west of Austria.
    10. The Cardinal-General and the Infanta remain in Pamplona and are widely feted by the great and the good of the city. The Cardinal-General and his officials in Madrid are engaged in constitutional reform to standardise the laws and practices within the Infanta’s realm. Once implemented these reforms will see Spain restored to its place in the Sun as the premier power in Europe. Efforts are also being made to improve ties with Portugal. We’ve not seen any new dolls for some time, has the 9-year-old Infanta grow out of them and are the rumours of mass lay-offs in the Doll industry true?
    11. The Sultan of Brunei has asked for talks with the Chinese navy to try and seek an agreement which will cause them to end their attacks on Brunei and the occupation of Palawan. A Spanish fleet lands troops and grain to support the Chinese forces occupying Palawan.
    12. The Celestial Emperor has appointed a naval inspector to ensure that all his regional governors are maintaining his navies in a proper manner. The mathematician Mei Wenting has been appointed as a spokesman for the Emperor.

Nexus06 and Jason2 like this post

Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Nexus06 Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:41 pm

Now that you’ve pointed my attention on it, I reckon it has been a while since the last Spanish doll has appeared. Wonder if the Cardinal General has decided for a change in policy and some other artifact will appear on behalf of that….
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:03 pm

Thanks for the excellent summary Goldstar. Must admit the decision of the Emperor to appoint a naval inspector caught me off-guard. will he decide that Kwantung was wrong to favour traditional ship designs over those of barbarians? But that would mean the Empire was inferior to those horrible little dwarfs of Europe, at least in regards shipbuilding...and if the Centre of Civilisation is second-rate at ship design, what else is it second rate in...this could be a messy can of worms...

What will be interesting to see is how the Inspector rates the fleets of the Chinese positions that have never been played or were for only a handful of turns. They should only have a handful of cruisers if that, but given the way glory games go, I'm half-expecting them to have massive fleets of the latest Barbarian designs with every naval invention possible Very Happy
    Goldstar
    Earl
    Earl

Post by Goldstar Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:07 pm

Jason2 wrote:Thanks for the excellent summary Goldstar.  Must admit the decision of the Emperor to appoint a naval inspector caught me off-guard.  will he decide that Kwantung was wrong to favour traditional ship designs over those of barbarians?  But that would mean the Empire was inferior to those horrible little dwarfs of Europe, at least in regards shipbuilding...and if the Centre of Civilisation is second-rate at ship design, what else is it second rate in...this could be a messy can of worms...

What will be interesting to see is how the Inspector rates the fleets of the Chinese positions that have never been played or were for only a handful of turns.  They should only have a handful of cruisers if that, but given the way glory games go, I'm half-expecting them to have massive fleets of the latest Barbarian designs with every naval invention possible Very Happy

Oh dear I now have an image of the successor to Admiral Zheng He sailing up the Channel with 200 plus Chinese Lineships, demanding tribute from the western barbarians. Fortunately my humble position is nearly landlocked.
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:31 pm

Goldstar wrote:
    Jason2 wrote:Thanks for the excellent summary Goldstar.  Must admit the decision of the Emperor to appoint a naval inspector caught me off-guard.  will he decide that Kwantung was wrong to favour traditional ship designs over those of barbarians?  But that would mean the Empire was inferior to those horrible little dwarfs of Europe, at least in regards shipbuilding...and if the Centre of Civilisation is second-rate at ship design, what else is it second rate in...this could be a messy can of worms...

What will be interesting to see is how the Inspector rates the fleets of the Chinese positions that have never been played or were for only a handful of turns.  They should only have a handful of cruisers if that, but given the way glory games go, I'm half-expecting them to have massive fleets of the latest Barbarian designs with every naval invention possible Very Happy

Oh dear I now have an image of the successor to Admiral Zheng He sailing up the Channel with 200 plus Chinese Lineships, demanding tribute from the western barbarians.  Fortunately my humble position is nearly landlocked.

Damn, my cunning plan has been revealed... Wink
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Nexus06 Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:47 am

Can an Emperor be so inconsiderate to believe that Lord Fong might have been.... (the horror!) ... wrong in his considerations and still be considerate worthy of holding the Mandate of Heaven? Are we witnessing the beginning of a new era? Will Lord Fong save the Celestial Empire by finally accepting to fulfill his ultimate destiny and restore China to its bright future?

Are the Cunning Cardinal General and the powerful Lord of Kwangtung forming an alliance that will take over the entire world?

This, and much more, on our October turn of Game9! Stay tuned for more!

Jason2 likes this post

Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:26 am

Nexus06 wrote:

Can an Emperor be so inconsiderate to believe that Lord Fong might have been.... (the horror!) ... wrong in his considerations and still be considerate worthy of holding the Mandate of Heaven? Are we witnessing the beginning of a new era? Will Lord Fong save the Celestial Empire by finally accepting to fulfill his ultimate destiny and restore China to its bright future?

Are the Cunning Cardinal General and the powerful Lord of Kwangtung forming an alliance that will take over the entire world?

This, and much more, on our October turn of Game9! Stay tuned for more!

Did anyone note that along with insulting Spain and the Celestial Empire the Holy Roman Emperor got in a rather nasty dig at the Ottomans. Who it seems are number two on his public suspect list (even ahead of Swedes?) for plotting to murder Austrian diplomatic staff and trying to start a war in the Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth.

Not sure what is more offensive to the Sultan the fact that he is being insulted in public with charges of this nature. Or fact that these actions are then dismissed as being past the means and ability of his secret service!

Own view is that if these activities in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth were anything to do with Spain or the Ottomans then the Austrians would probably be dead. So may money is on Swedish bungling…….I mean they could not even arrange a “medical accident” for the Czar correctly.

Wonder if mud slinging of this type could restore relations between Vienna and Madrid and between Vienna and the Celestial Empire and between Vienna and the Sultan back to what they were a while ago? And if there could be an opportunity for a poor but honest and hard working Rumelian Mercenary to earn a crust since everyone seems to be in the Mercenary hire market at this moment in time?

Peso de ocho reales………..that will do nicely.

Goldstar
    Earl
    Earl

Post by Goldstar Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:57 am

I fear the large number of Ottoman tourists that visited Vienna in 1529 and 1683 with the intention of securing new real estate and perhaps build a mosque or 2 has caused a certain degree of paranoia to take hold in the Austrian bureaucracy. ( and arguably still does to this day).  I am sure the Emperor just wants to be left in peace to enjoy his new fangled piano (ever though it is clearly a temporary fad)and discussing improvements to violins with master Stradivari.
    The current Sultan appears to be a builder not a warrior and the Cardinal-General undoubted talents seem fully occupied with reforming the Spanish bureaucracy.  As to King Karl XII, the Danzig situation seems now to have been escalated by a rogue general.

Jason2 likes this post

Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:25 pm

I don't know, you just invade a country a couple of times...and they keep bringing it up FOREVER, as if you've never done anything else Very Happy
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:39 pm

Jason2 wrote:I don't know, you just invade a country a couple of times...and they keep bringing it up FOREVER, as if you've never done anything else  Very Happy

Have same problem with the blinding of a army and the burning down of Venice and Versailles. But the Holy Roman Emperor does exactly the same and its hardly mentioned at all or its viewed as an "accident".

Jason2 likes this post

Goldstar
    Earl
    Earl

Post by Goldstar Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:14 pm

Nothing happened after the Austrians liberated Buda in 1686 and Prince Eugene was only visiting Sarajevo in 1697 to admire the architecture, not his fault someone dropped a torch or two across Bosnia on the way home.

Jason2 likes this post

Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:37 am

Goldstar wrote:Looking for inspiration.
    The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.  - Page 39 2d3e9b10
    The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.  - Page 39 4f7d2810
    The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.  - Page 39 3057b710

From G7 first report of Austrian River Navy on patrol on the Rhine keeping back the dastardly French from the heart of the Holy Roman Empire, carrying supplies up and down river and perhaps offering some Naval gunfire support for land troops.

No mention of "Corvettes" having oars but perhaps a few sweeps would be handy to help manovering and make them look a bit more like this model.

Goldstar likes this post

Goldstar
    Earl
    Earl

Post by Goldstar Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:47 pm

Gunboats and corvettes are for amateurs, go bonkers and build a Danube frigate. SMS Theresia , laid down 1768 , two masts, 14 oar, 38 gun Frigate. Pride of the Danube flotilla despite constantly grounding in the rivers shallows.

Nexus06 likes this post

Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:21 pm

Goldstar wrote:Gunboats and corvettes are for amateurs, go bonkers and build a Danube frigate.  SMS Theresia , laid down 1768 , two masts, 14 oar, 38 gun Frigate.  Pride of the Danube flotilla despite constantly grounding in the rivers shallows.

Anyone know if the Rhine or the Danube is a wider and deeper river?

Not sure about the C18 but my impression was that a two mast 14 oar (per side of just 14 total?) 38 Gun frigate is even more likely to spend most of its time run aground on the Rhine than on the Danube.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 3:30 am