Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+4
Stuart Bailey
Goldstar
Papa Clement
Jason2
8 posters

Grand Canals-are they worth it?

Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2568
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Grand Canals-are they worth it? - Page 2 Empty Re: Grand Canals-are they worth it?

Post by Stuart Bailey Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:03 am

Ref the canal system built by the Doge to link Genoa to Lombardy and the river Po in G7 this was not to link Genoa with Venice and save a trip round Italy.

The intent was to link the port and merchant fleet of Genoa with Lombardy, The Po Valley and esp the Duchy of Milan. Basically the old "Spanish Road" routes used for trade purposes.

Seems a fairly common ambition of Doges of Genoa and Dukes of Savoy to dominate their economic hinter land and divert trade towards their ports and away from Venice etc. In some games this means a attempted military and political take over, but in G7 canals were used as a safer option than trying to take control of the Queen of Spain's home city.

The fact that Genoa is still ahead of France, Austria, Ottoman Anatolia and Venice on the Levant trade list would seem to indicate that Genoa got some credit for efforts.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Grand Canals-are they worth it? - Page 2 Empty Re: Grand Canals-are they worth it?

Post by Deacon Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:31 pm

My view on these kinds of projects is that if you have to ask the cost, then it is not worth it. You do these projects because they are strategic, or because you have lots of spare resources and just want to do them.

I'm looking at a panama canal in game 8, and we'll see what I think when I get the final engineering report. I have developed hydraulic lime, so it should make some of the canal work in the tough terrain more feasible. But I have lots of resources in game 8, so it would be more of a lark to do it than serious need. I've done several others to improve navigability of some of my water ways. No evidence that it was worth the effort, but then I haven't really asked about it. I consider them 'ego projects'.

I think the only one I can imagine would be quickly profitable would be the suez canal. But, it would be a leap of faith because I don't see any way you could really assess its potential profitability. Cost overruns would be probable, so you couldn't know the final cost, and how could you really know how much usage tax you could extract?
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Number of posts : 676
    Registration date : 2019-06-16

Post by Jason2 Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:57 am

A good point Deacon and I would agree, they are something to do when you have the resources to throw at the project, for the project's sake and for the ego Wink 

Would be interesting to see how it goes in G8 if you do have a go at a Panama Canal.  In the future, if I can develop the Hanseatic League in the way I want, I could be tempted to try for a restored Stecknitz Canal on a similar basis but that would be a few years away yet.

On the Suez Canal I wonder if a resurgent Ottoman Empire might see it more as a strategic military venture?  Allowing them to send fleets easily between the Med and the Red Sea?  Ok, it might be cheaper, easier and quicker to build up two fleets...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 6:06 am