Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+17
jamesbond007
Stuart Bailey
Marshal Bombast
Goldstar
Mike
Prunesquallor
SteelCityTyke
The Revenant
Deacon
J Flower
Richard D. Watts
Basileus
Papa Clement
revvaughan
count-de-monet
tkolter
Jason2
21 posters

Game 10

Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Number of posts : 676
    Registration date : 2019-06-16

Game 10 Empty Re: Game 10

Post by Jason2 Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:46 pm

I think with Vimes on the case we would also who is behind the Apollo Brotherhood...

(should I admit I've always felt Vimes was an alter ego of mine)

Oh and well done, the pizza express...once again this forum has actually made me LoL for real Very Happy

Last edited by Jason2 on Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Regor likes this post

Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:08 pm

So all the Corsairs have got out of this is some damp firewood and they now smell of rotting fish? Could a lot of rotting fish cause a chemical reaction that sets off fireworks?

Meanwhile the Doge sleeps on a bed of gold, baths in spices to smell nice and fresh, wears a new suit of finest fabrics every day...boy, if the Corsairs are winning this war and the Doge is losing, then what would things look like if it was the other way round????

Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2565
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:46 pm

Jason2 wrote:So all the Corsairs have got out of this is some damp firewood and they now smell of rotting fish?  Could a lot of rotting fish cause a chemical reaction that sets off fireworks?

Meanwhile the Doge sleeps on a bed of gold, baths in spices to smell nice and fresh, wears a new suit of finest fabrics every day...boy, if the Corsairs are winning this war and the Doge is losing, then what would things look like if it was the other way round????

As the Provest of Aberdeen could explain the objective of privateering is not to win the war.......its to keep it, govt subsidies and valid letters of marque going for as long as possible.

According to my broker its a) Top quality baltic timber.....perfect for ship building, repair of nasty holes in ships or pit props to prop up mines putting a load of fireworks.....sorry I mean gun powder ......below walls of Genoa & b) Get your lovely salted fish here......perfect for feeding a Army on the march.

Also according to agent reports the Doge hardly ever sleeps in his own bed, the spices are to hide the smell of his distinctive Roman Pox and the dresses of costly fabrics are all part of cunning disguise. But the curse of the Black Spot is still out there hunting the dodgy, dastardly, double crossing Doge!
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:59 pm

The Doge hardly ever sleeps in his own bed...and that's a bad thing because....? Wink

Yes but what fish are the Austrians catching? I bet it's not good North Sea/Atlantic cod, herring and haddock...
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:39 am

Jason2 wrote:The Doge hardly ever sleeps in his own bed...and that's a bad thing because....? Wink

Yes but what fish are the Austrians catching?  I bet it's not good North Sea/Atlantic cod, herring and haddock...

Asking a French or Italian chef what is in his Fish Stew is a bit like asking a Scot what he has under his kilt......its just not a question asked in polite society!

And Forbin is not about to start first mate Ricardo Watts what percentage of Red Mullet, Tuna and Sardines are in the Fish hold. That is just too much detail!

Its Fish and the French Army/Navy can bloody well eat it and enjoy it.........well its that or BBQ livestock.......smoked West Indies style!

At least unlike some people I could mention the Corsairs have not had any ships mutiney yet and many are showing "High Morale". So rations can not be that bad.
    tkolter
    tkolter
    Viscount
    Viscount

Number of posts : 160
    Registration date : 2018-06-15

Post by tkolter Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:29 am

I was back in the hospital and missed my turn, wil be contacting the company to get caught up.
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:43 pm

tkolter wrote:I was back in the hospital and missed my turn, wil be contacting the company to get caught up.

Hope you're ok now!
    tkolter
    tkolter
    Viscount
    Viscount

Number of posts : 160
    Registration date : 2018-06-15

Post by tkolter Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:41 am

Not that good I'm disabled and sickly at times but at home with family.

Anyway next month I open up diplomatic ties to Portugal I think so more trade next year to Europe so await our finest coffee and mead.

And I hope to open up ties to other powers more and our Palace will be done so expect a formal invitation to formalize ties in the paper.

Last thing a baby is on the way so in 7 months we will have the heir to the throne a boy or girl.

Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:54 pm

having just read through the newspaper, can I just thank those who wrote the more humorous articles.  It's been one of those weeks and the laughter you caused was much needed Smile
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:20 am

Just to add to Stuart's comment Kerensky, sorry to hear your news
    count-de-monet
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 379
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by count-de-monet Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:43 am

Kerensky, today is the anniversary of the loss of my Father and three years on its still a tough day.

My thoughts and sympathies are with you and your family but especially for your wife.

Wishing you all the best at this sad time
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Number of posts : 621
    Registration date : 2009-04-07

Post by jamesbond007 Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:49 am

Sorry to hear the bad news Kerensky.

Nothing worse in life than losing loved ones.

Best wishes.
    Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 364
    Registration date : 2009-01-23

Post by Marshal Bombast Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:37 am

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your loved ones Kerensky
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:25 pm

Looking at G10, I think someone has given me an early Christmas present...."Jacobite Counter-Intelligence"...come on, the jokes just write themselves... Wink

As to Punt, Shunt and Hunt...they might not get the sort of apology they were expecting...
    revvaughan
    revvaughan
    King
    King

Number of posts : 778
    Registration date : 2008-07-15

Post by revvaughan Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:15 pm

Prayers for you and yours Kerensky. May His peace and mercy be upon you.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:26 pm

Kerensky wrote:& now, to G10.

I think that French Corsair Intelligence should be permanently renamed the ‘Dead Parrot Squad’.

Stuart, are you in? I could launch a matching outfit in G8...

Not sure that French Naval Intelligence make any use of Parrot's.......think that is the Japanese in Scabble.

But I guess the Duchess of Artois could be sent an East African Grey by one of her admirers.

One Corsair in G10 does already keep pet Crocs in the wet ditch of his Island Fortress. pirat
    Papa Clement
    Papa Clement
    King
    King

Number of posts : 686
    Registration date : 2019-02-10

Post by Papa Clement Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:38 pm

In G7 my ambassador to France, Lord Godolphin, has a parrot called Esmerelda who is able to repeat short phrases to embarrass certain diplomats. I had not previously thought of her as part of Jacobite Naval Intelligence, but I suppose I could make her an honourary member or introduce a special Order of the Parrot for exceptional services to foiling enemy plots?
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:30 pm

I feel we are all ignoring the BIG news story of the latest G10 turn...

Yes, we have a new "Most Honourable"...the great, the wonderful, and (of course) above all most modest...

Lord Melville! bounce

drunken  DEEP FRIED MARS BARS AND PINTS OF BUCKFAST FOR EVERYONE!!!!  drunken

Post by Guest Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:04 pm

& it looks like I may just beat Sunderland, with the first concession speech of the night.

‘The Doge would like to thank his supporters, the police and the returning officer, for this election, and the voters, for the fantastic run he has had over the last year or so. As the leader of the ‘Freedom to Party, Party’, he wishes Lord Melville, all the best in his coming months of representing the G10 constituents, as their Most Honourable Member.

The Doge has listened to the voters and understands the key messages. More Parties, More Mistresses, Bigger Balls & Less War. In the months to come, the Doge will deliver on this tirelessly...’
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:55 pm

brilliant, sir, well played Very Happy
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:36 am

Kerensky wrote:& it looks like I may just beat Sunderland, with the first concession speech of the night.

‘The Doge would like to thank his supporters, the police and the returning officer, for this election, and the voters, for the fantastic run he has had over the last year or so. As the leader of the ‘Freedom to Party, Party’, he wishes Lord Melville, all the best in his coming months of representing the G10 constituents, as their Most Honourable Member.

The Doge has listened to the voters and understands the key messages. More Parties, More Mistresses, Bigger Balls & Less War. In the months to come, the Doge will deliver on this tirelessly...’

While I have total faith in the Doge keeping his promises ref more and better parties and mistresses. I do think the Doge may have his work cut ref the less war promise......esp after some ***** Imperial Hussars burnt five barges which belong to a fine upstanding bunch of St Malo merchants last month.

The Holy Roman Emperor may promise no harm will come to French Civilians while his mostly Swedish Protestant allies burn, plunder,rape and loot their way across the fair fields of France but I think I place more faith in letters of reprisal than I do in the words of the House of Austria. Well known fact they can not be trusted - just ask James III in G7 for a totally fair and unbiased opinion.

Think that by his rape of Belfort the Duke of Wurtemburg in particular has just joined the protestant revolt backing Doge of Genoa on top of the French dislike list. After a small Baltic Cruise by its timber suppliers the Paris Match Company now has a good supply of best quality Swedish timber and expect's a large increase in sales to the French Army in 1714.

PS Now France is fighting for the survival of its Monarchy, Church and colonial health against an unholy Alliance of the Protestant King of Sweden with the Emperor and the Pope wonder if the Comte de Forbin can join the Doge and the famous Scots whisky lover on the Honour Table. Just have to kill enemies of La Belle France, have mistress in every Port and drink lots of Brandy......or is it more a matter of style and its not what you do, its how you do it?
    "Come home to a real life - Buy a Holiday Cottage on the Ligurian Coast"
    Papa Clement
    Papa Clement
    King
    King

Post by Papa Clement Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:51 am

Stuart Bailey wrote:
    Kerensky wrote:& it looks like I may just beat Sunderland, with the first concession speech of the night.

While I have total faith in the Doge keeping his promises ref more and better parties and mistresses.  I do think the Doge may have his work cut ref the less war promise......esp after some ***** Imperial Hussars burnt five barges which belong to a fine upstanding bunch of St Malo merchants last month.

The Holy Roman Emperor may promise no harm will come to French Civilians while his mostly Swedish Protestant allies burn, plunder,rape and loot their way across the  fair fields of France but I think I place more faith in letters of reprisal than I do in the words of the House of Austria.  Well known fact they can not be trusted - just ask James III in G7 for a totally fair and unbiased opinion.

Think that by his rape of Belfort the Duke of Wurtemburg in particular has just joined the protestant revolt backing Doge of Genoa on top of the French dislike list.  After a small Baltic Cruise by its timber suppliers the Paris Match Company now has a good supply of best quality Swedish timber and expect's a large increase in sales to the French Army in 1714.

PS Now France is fighting for the survival of its Monarchy, Church and colonial health against an unholy Alliance of the Protestant King of Sweden with the Emperor and the Pope wonder if the Comte de Forbin can join the Doge and the famous Scots whisky lover on the Honour Table.  Just have to kill enemies of La Belle France, have mistress in every Port and drink lots of Brandy......or is it more a matter of style and its not what you do, its how you do it?
    "Come home to a real life - Buy a Holiday Cottage on the Ligurian Coast"

Comte de Forbin must work on his Anger Management problem, then go to a good old fashioned movie (highlights of G7 and the defeat of the dishonourable Austrian/Spanish/UDP Coalition) with a friend (the ex-Duke of Savoy?)! Chill Forbin, Chill!
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:53 pm

Have checked and it seems that of the French Corsairs Jean Bart & Le Vasseur were fairly chilled, both Claude de Forbin and the Duguay-Trouin were rather prickly types but the one with the real anger management issues was Daniel Montbars - also known as Montbars the exterminator.

Strictly speaking he is probably dead by 1700 but they never found the body.  So if Queen Mary and son(s) of Carlos II can be alive in 1703 I decided to allow Montbars to have had an escape from shipwreck and Indians with anger management issues of their own.

Spain in G7 is probably one of the most relaxed and easy going positions I have ever played in an Agema game.......its basically run by a elderly Priest, some lawyers and a bunch of girls who's major objective is to introduce universal education ( 26 X £3m = £72m ouch) and the Spanish Enlightenment.  Hell, they even write nice letters & send silver wine coolers to their foes while trying to conduct very civilized POW exchanges.

This is not even in the same league of as Jahann Kuli-Beg in For God King and Country or Iskander Kruppu in G2 both of whom did not really do captives and went in for "terror tactics" for real unlike the Corsairs were it is bluff and bluster both historically and in the game (for exceptions see Montbars).

Or even the HEIC in scabble which tends to suffer a major temper tantrum if mess up its railway's.
    Papa Clement
    Papa Clement
    King
    King

Post by Papa Clement Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:27 pm

Stuart Bailey wrote:Have checked and it seems that of the French Corsairs Jean Bart & Le Vasseur were fairly chilled, both Claude de Forbin and the Duguay-Trouin were rather prickly types but the one with the real anger management issues was Daniel Montbars - also known as Montbars the exterminator.  Strictly speaking he is probably dead by 1700 but they never found the body.  So if Queen Mary and son(s) of Carlos II can be alive in 1703 I decided to allow Montbars to have had an escape from shipwreck and Indians with anger management issues of their own.

Montbars seems a perfect example of a chilled corsair ... hung up as a lesson for all who follow his way of life.

Stuart Bailey wrote:Spain in G7 is probably one of the most relaxed and easy going positions I have ever played in an Agema game.......its basically run by a elderly Priest, some lawyers and a bunch of girls who's major objective is to introduce universal education ( 26 X £3m = £72m ouch) and the Spanish Enlightenment.  Hell, they even write nice letters & send silver wine coolers to their foes while trying to conduct very civilized POW exchanges.

And much appreciated it is.  Could this possibly explain why Spain is near the top of the G7 honour board, whilst France in G10 is suffering revolts and the defection of Franche-Comte?
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:53 pm

Ref the tricky problem of a positions "honour score" the rules do say that this reflects the expectations of society (or at least the better part of it) and how closely you are sticking too this expectation.

Since different societies have different expectations this means that there is no single way of running a position which will work for all positions.

Highest ever score I got was as Elector of Pfalz were I played a crusty old Elector and upholder of the Holy Roman Empire in its current form who spent his time moaning about the French, modern art, modern music, protection of the rights and freedoms of Princes and the evils of multiple tax charges on his tobacco imports.  Finally after the Austrian player threw a fit and abandoned the HRE the Elector of Pfalz was elected Holy Roman Emperor and his honour score wents over 60 (when I picked up position it was already 30 plus).

Basically think a German Lord Melville......never did get the Diet to agree a customs union on the Rhine that was still at the committee stage.  But we did get a common Beer Purity law.

Think Pfalz like Melville's Scotland was a small position were you can get a very high honour score without running real risks.  But as the Steward of Poland in G10 is currently finding your honour score can go into free fall if you try and break the mold and change things which need to be fixed such as the constitution of the HRE or the Polish Commonwealth or even a Jacobite restoration.

The other honour problem often found with larger positions is when "Society" expects you to take action which is going to get you into trouble in the larger world.

In contrast to Pfalz my Layerbey of Rumelia also got a honour score into the 50's by going all out with the "expectations" of the Ottoma Spahi class.  He was thereby trouble free at home and avoided the problems of bandits and rebel troops which seem to be inflicted on more soft and cuddly Ottomans.  But he did end up with a record for plunder, rape, loot and pillage which made the French Corsairs look very tame indeed and having several crusades called against him.  

I would suggest that the honour score problems of France in G10 was down to Louis XIV trying to be too nice rather than backing his Grandson claim too much.  Honour scores of other Major powers like Austria, Spain and Russia also seem to suffer in the same way.....basically their society expects bold action from their leaders which can then cause problems in other ways.  

Suspect one reason that Spanish honour is higher in G7 than G10 is that while no real decision on the Spanish succession has been taken in G10...... in G7 in a "Get the succession done moment" for Spain.....King Carlos II passed away and the next turn his fully grown legitimate heir was crowned and all of the diets, army, navy etc took the oath.  This did expose Spain to the danger of war with upset rival heirs but sometimes its better from an honour point of view to just bite the bullet.

Other problem positions from an honour point of view is were you are trying to keep different conflicting parts of "society" happy.  A Catholic Jacobite Govt in England would seem to have this problem in spades.  Oddly on a much smaller scale its also a problem for the French Privateers trying to keep both their crews and their Noble Investors at Court happy.  But at least non of Forbin crews have deserted and many have "high morale" plus his honour is respectable so while it may be a bit of a high wire act its not tipped too far.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:27 pm