Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+17
jamesbond007
Stuart Bailey
Marshal Bombast
Goldstar
Mike
Prunesquallor
SteelCityTyke
The Revenant
Deacon
J Flower
Richard D. Watts
Basileus
Papa Clement
revvaughan
count-de-monet
tkolter
Jason2
21 posters

Game 10

Hapsburg
    Viscount
    Viscount

Number of posts : 160
    Registration date : 2008-06-20

Game 10 - Page 35 Empty Re: Game 10

Post by Hapsburg Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:09 pm

Thanks for the summary and the Emperor appreciates his son-in law's support!

10. Slightly confused with the next diplomatic appointment but it seems a Spanish grandee has been appointed as ambassador to Venice for Austria?

You are not the only one who is surprised lol. You don't expect a leading Spanish noble to become your ambassador. My guess is Rodrigo has a low honour score and this is Agema's way of reflecting that.
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Number of posts : 621
    Registration date : 2009-04-07

Post by jamesbond007 Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:33 pm

Rodrigo does not have a low honour score. I thought he must have been recruited by Austria. Perhaps Austria has a low honour score, hence Austria getting a Spanish citizen as one of its Ambassadors. This has to be the answer. Forced upon Austria by the referee for low Austrian honour. Why else would you recruit a foreigner for your Ambassador. ? Not enough learned Gentlemen who are Austrian who want the job.Lack of confidence in King Leopold.

Perhaps a further and clearer example of low Austrian honour is. King Leopold has banned all Spanish Trade in Leopold Lands Due to Spanish Trade success. However the Holy Roman Empire States have gone against him and Not banned Spanish trade at all.
    Hapsburg
    Viscount
    Viscount

Post by Hapsburg Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:52 pm

I had to reply  Smile

We are both guessing, but I would argue that my guess best fits the facts as reported in recent newspapers.

The Emperor / Rodrigo has a low honour score? A discussion.

In the past six-month months, after Paris was occupied by the Austrian-controlled Reichsarmee; Austria and its allies defeated France, the Emperor signed a fair peace treaty with France that protects all members of the Holy Roman Empire and reinstated Strassburg as an Imperial Free City. The Emperor followed the Diet of Austria’s advice and protected Austrian merchants, and entertained the Prince of Denmark in Vienna.

Spain has so far failed to ban slavery as promised to His Holiness, invaded Genoa using merchantmen without a declaration of war, and is publicly criticised every month for this invasion and its trade policies. Spanish spies were arrested in Genoa, Naples, and Vienna. Spain tried and failed to entice French regiments to remain in Milan. A Cardinal / ambassador was publicly accused of spying.

These events will have varying levels of weight - increases or decreases in honour.
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Post by jamesbond007 Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:32 am

Just to help you out on the slavery front.

The treaty signed by Spain and the Pope simply  reads that Spain will move towards ending slavery as soon as it can. It says a reduction in the Spanish slave trade must come by the end of 1707. This has been complied with already so no loss of honour due to slavery.

The treaty also reads that the Pope believes Naples and Sicily belong to Spain, not Austria. So perhaps there is a steady stream of honour loss by Austria for going against the Pope. ? Also Austria married one of its heirs to a Russian orthodox faith princess. So perhaps more honour loss due to this event. The Pope is clearly angry with Austria.

I would also point out. That King Leopold has also ended a multi year war with France with no real gain for Austria and all its hard work and death. Started a trade war with probably  the games wealthiest position. Married his son  and heir to a princess from another religion. Started a trade war, which the rest of the HRE states refused to back him. Now he takes on an Ambassador from another state.Possibly due to low honour.
    I would suggest the Austrian honour must be on the floor.

Another point to make and only just noticed it. Spain has climbed two places on the Baltic trade theatre leaderboard this month. Not a bad start to the trade war.
    Michael0
    Freeman
    Freeman

Number of posts : 9
    Registration date : 2020-09-21

Post by Michael0 Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:43 pm

Gentlemen, you can't fight here this is the war games forum Smile Smile

Hapsburg likes this post

Hapsburg
    Viscount
    Viscount

Post by Hapsburg Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:49 pm

He was telling tales about me and my family sir!  Game 10 - Page 35 1f602  Game 10 - Page 35 1f602  Leopold’s heir married a Catholic.

Time will tell what degree distant or recent events affect honour, as will Leopold’s prompt return to the honour table  Game 10 - Page 35 1f609

Great to have extra days’ leave for Easter.
    Hapsburg
    Viscount
    Viscount

Post by Hapsburg Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:07 pm

As it is the April turn, does anyone compare the April expenditure unit totals against what units are detailed in their state’s papers? Never had time before.
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Post by jamesbond007 Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:37 pm

Hapsburg wrote:He was telling tales about me and my family sir!  Game 10 - Page 35 1f602  Game 10 - Page 35 1f602  Leopold’s heir married a Catholic.

Time will tell what degree distant or recent events affect honour, as will Leopold’s prompt return to the honour table  Game 10 - Page 35 1f609

Not telling lies. Your daughter married the Russian Tsar’s Son and Heir to his Empire. Your Catholic daughter and his Russian Orthodox son. I would guess these kinds of acts do not sit well with a Pope.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2565
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:30 pm

jamesbond007 wrote:
    Hapsburg wrote:He was telling tales about me and my family sir!  Game 10 - Page 35 1f602  Game 10 - Page 35 1f602  Leopold’s heir married a Catholic.

Not telling lies. Your daughter married the Russian Tsar’s Son and Heir to his Empire. Your Catholic daughter  and his Russian Orthodox son. I would guess these kinds of acts do not sit well with a Pope.

Speaking as a Hapsburg (G7 not G10) problems with Hapsburg marriage policy seems to be a bit of a theme in several games. In G7 the Hapsburgs are looking for nice Catholic boys for no less than five girls and eventually a nice Catholic girl for the Infante of Spain........and unlike G10 we decided against a nice Catholic Girl of the House of Austria marrying a Heratic of any type in case it upset the Pope and Catholic Tax Payers.

So far we have looked at the possibility of a marriage alliance with the House of Savoy. But the French invaded and the Crown Prince of Savoy is now a captive of the French.

Looked at a marriage alliance with the House of Lorraine. But the French invaded and the Crown Prince of Lorraine is now a captive of the French.

Advisors also came up with a list of eligible Poles, but then the Russians, Swedes, Prussians and English all invaded Poland.

So far we have secured agreed marriage alliance with Portugal and another one with Bavaria which hopefully the French will not ruin.

But with four more to go may have to consider other options. Can anyone advise how much honour it will cost if a Spanish Hapsburg Princess marries a non Catholic?

Guess other option is to keep hitting the French untill they give back our bridegrooms.

Hapsburg, Marshal Bombast and jamesbond007 like this post

Hapsburg
    Viscount
    Viscount

Post by Hapsburg Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:04 pm

Not telling lies. Your daughter married the Russian Tsar’s Son and Heir to his Empire. Your Catholic daughter and his Russian Orthodox son. I would guess these kinds of acts do not sit well with a Pope.

I have never been so active!

Of course, not lies, but you are mixing up Leopold’s family members and the “heir”.

Leopold’s eldest son and heir is King Joseph (married to a Catholic)
    Leopold’s eldest daughter married the Tsar (not the Tsar’s son – if he already has one?)

Only Leopold’s sons can inherit.

Have another daughter to marry a nice Catholic. Game 10 - Page 35 1f600
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Post by jamesbond007 Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:08 am

Ok thanks for that. I knew there was a marriage there somewhere. Save me looking it up. I bet your other marriageable daughter does  not end up marrying into King Rodrigo's of Spain’s family. Very Happy
    Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 364
    Registration date : 2009-01-23

Post by Marshal Bombast Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:37 pm

Hapsburg wrote:As it is the April turn, does anyone compare the April expenditure unit totals against what units are detailed in their state’s papers? Never had time before.

Not really in that detail. I've usually got an idea of the ballpark amount that my orders over the year will increase the annual expenditure by and then I round up to avoid nasty surprises. If it's way out from the ballpark then I'd possibly look into it in more detail but this approach has worked for the last few years.

This turn coming will be my 5th game year anniversary, can't believe it's been that long as time has flown by and I've enjoyed it all the way!
    Married to the Sea
    Freeman
    Freeman

Number of posts : 6
    Registration date : 2023-10-27

Post by Married to the Sea Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:44 am

Venice is happy to accept any ambassador that listens and remembers my name Rolling Eyes Russians rolling into Trieste have really settled the area down !! Hope they don't get mistaken as Pirates by us and Malta !!
    Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Marshal Bombast Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:28 pm

Married to the Sea wrote:Russians rolling into Trieste have really settled the area down !!

The Tsar has been working very hard on improving Russia's appreciation of culture and science. Having heard about Mediterranean package holidays it was time to send some tourists to see what the sun is like there. Soon there'll be great coats reserving the sun loungers, only issue being the hotel's not built yet Smile

Married to the Sea wrote:Hope they don't get mistaken as Pirates by us and Malta !!

Pirate identification checklist:
    1. Beards check
    2. Alcoholic spirits check
    3. Orthodox cross on flag ooops

Well 2 out of 3 ain't bad
    Hapsburg
    Viscount
    Viscount

Post by Hapsburg Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:45 pm

Not really in that detail. I've usually got an idea of the ballpark amount that my orders over the year will increase the annual expenditure by and then I round up to avoid nasty surprises. If it's way out from the ballpark then I'd possibly look into it in more detail but this approach has worked for the last few years.

This turn coming will be my 5th game year anniversary, can't believe it's been that long as time has flown by and I've enjoyed it all the way!

Austria transferred in and out so many units it may be a useful task to undertake; may even get a refund, or more likely a debt lol.

Congratulations and onward to another 5 years! I think the time goes even quicker when the game is full of events such as wars.

Marshal Bombast likes this post

Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2565
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:28 am

Hapsburg wrote:

Austria transferred in and out so many units it may be a useful task to undertake; may even get a refund, or more likely a debt lol.

Congratulations and onward to another 5 years! I think the time goes even quicker when the game is full of events such as wars.

Like I have said before Game needs Ottomans - helps to speed things up for Austria, Venice and Russia.

Marshal Bombast and jamesbond007 like this post

jamesbond007
    King
    King

Post by jamesbond007 Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:59 am

Stuart Bailey wrote:
    Hapsburg wrote:

Like I have said before Game needs Ottomans - helps to speed things up for Austria, Venice and Russia.

I agree. The good news in g10 is that we now have an Ottoman player. He just needs a bit of time to build up the position.
    Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Marshal Bombast Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:41 pm

jamesbond007 wrote:
    Stuart Bailey wrote:
    Hapsburg wrote:

I agree. The good news in g10 is that we now have an Ottoman player. He just needs a bit of time to build up the position.

At least 2 players currently with the Anatolian Sultan and the new Wali in Egypt. Anyone else want to sign up to a great team position?
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Post by jamesbond007 Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:04 am

Speaking as a Hapsburg (G7 not G10) problems with Hapsburg marriage policy seems to be a bit of a theme in several games.  In G7 the Hapsburgs are looking for nice Catholic boys for no less than five girls and eventually a nice Catholic girl for the Infante of Spain........and unlike G10 we decided against a nice Catholic Girl of the House of Austria marrying a Heratic of any type in case it upset the Pope and Catholic Tax Payers.

So far we have looked at the possibility of a marriage alliance with the House of Savoy.  But the French invaded and the Crown Prince of Savoy is now a captive of the French.

Looked at a marriage alliance with the House of Lorraine.  But the French invaded and the Crown Prince of Lorraine is now a captive of the French.

Advisors also came up with a list of eligible Poles, but then the Russians, Swedes, Prussians and English all invaded Poland.

So far we have secured agreed marriage alliance with Portugal and another one with Bavaria which hopefully the French will not ruin.

But with four more to go may have to consider other options.  Can anyone advise how much honour it will cost if a Spanish Hapsburg Princess marries a non Catholic?

Guess other option is to keep hitting the French untill they give back our bridegrooms.  [/quote]

Very good point. How much honour a Hapsburg Kings daughter who married the Tzar of Russia, who is Russian Orthodox has lost and continue to lose for the Emperor. Hard to gage as there was a war on at the time as well between Austria and France.

All I remember is. That Austria was on the leaderboard and in the top ten at the time. Even as high as four or five I think. Now he has dropped off it and has done for a couple of years now. Perhaps his honour will not recover as long as this marriage remains.?

Usually in other games the Emperor holds a high position in society  and on the honour leaderboard. So I guess in g10 it must cost a fair bit of honour. Going against fellow Catholics must be honour costly. In g10 the Emperor starts a trade war against Spain but the rest of the HRE does not join Austria. I guess this is down to low honour. Never known the Empire to not back the Emperor before.
    Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Marshal Bombast Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:24 pm

Game 10 arrived last week with the Doge of Venice jumping over the King of Sweden on the Honour table. Large movements were seen on the Maritime trade area top ten, including some nations moving in or out of the list. Other trade areas were static.

1. The Stadtholder gave a summary of how he understood trade to work and to get discussions started prior to the July trade ministers conference.

2. Various troop formations moved back towards their homelands, though it’ll be interesting to see what Scotland is going to do with its navy.

3. Prussia formally welcomed the Huguenot farmers and commissioned their leader into the army.

4. Birthday celebrations were held for the Elector of Saxony with the culmination of building works to improve the culture and architecture in Dresden. It’ll be interesting to see what the next phase of works will be.

Rome has seen an architectural renaissance to rival Saxony’s in Germany. We’ll no doubt hear more about it in the future.

5. The former Austrian ambassador to Spain has lodged a complaint with His Holiness about his treatment citing that he was falsely accused of being a spy.

6. The Cortez of Navarra voted against banning Austrian trade in the Spanish Empire, fearing future escalations turning into outright war. Thus the ban on Austrian trade was not implemented.

7. Abrantes saw the generosity of King John with the opening of the silo to the people. The Portuguese must have been pleased, or hungry, as they emptied the silo in record time. Who will the local farmers sell their grain to now?

8. Rumours in Poland include that the Head of the Regency Council Stanislaw Leszczynski will make himself the hereditary King of Poland. The people of Torun must have liked what they heard as they refused to submit to Prussian troops asking them to declare for King Augustus. The people of Graudenz required a bit more persuading to the Regency Council’s cause.

9. Sweden ordered wrecks to be cleared near Riga, while the people of Stockholm were concerned about reports of a large bear in the district. Society trusts that King Charles will do what’s needed to ensure public safety.

10. French Italian regiments were asked to leave Milan. Having no where to go in the end they disbanded with the colonel resigning his commission. We all know what’s coming next!

11. The Spanish navy supported her merchant fleet in delivering her cargo into Rapallo. I wonder if this included the new Spanish governor for this Genoese town that was taken into Spanish civil control.

12. Neopolitan troops arrived in Spezia to the cheers of the local Tuscan population.

13. The Doge of Venice remembered well the nation’s traditions respecting the power and authority of the sea.

14. The Egyptian Wali has called for a new vote on the Ottoman trade edict recently not passed saying he believed his predecessor’s vote against it was not in the best interests of Egypt.

The Sultan returning from pilgrimage, stopped off in Cairo to meet with the Wali before returning to Constantinople.

15. Kumasi saw the local population steal away 5,000 Dutch muskets.

Elsewhere saw taxation removed from the nobles and temples within the Akan Union.

16. Portugal offered to supply the Rozwi with a ship built locally.

17. The Chinese expedition to Cape of Disappointment decided they’d wasted enough time there and were moving on to the Seattle site to see if conditions there would be better to establish their base.

Macao saw the opening of, what is assumed to be, the headquarters of a Chinese trade corporation, which appears to have connections with the Cape of Disappointment expedition.

18. Quito returned the Spanish fold as Tomas Chavez and 300 of his followers left as part of the peace agreement.

Hapsburg and jamesbond007 like this post

Hapsburg
    Viscount
    Viscount

Post by Hapsburg Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:11 pm

Never known the Empire to not back the Emperor before.
    Early days  Game 10 - Page 35 1f609 and the Imperial Diet has not been asked to consider the issue.
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Post by jamesbond007 Yesterday at 4:10 am

10. French Italian regiments were asked to leave Milan. Having no where to go in the end they disbanded with the colonel resigning his commission. We all know what’s coming next!

I don't know what’s coming next. Please tell.
    Thanks for the write up as usual.
    Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Marshal Bombast Yesterday at 4:52 am

jamesbond007 wrote:10. French Italian regiments were asked to leave Milan. Having no where to go in the end they disbanded with the colonel resigning his commission. We all know what’s coming next!

I don't know what’s coming next. Please tell.
    Thanks for the write up as usual.

Usually banditry (hitting local trade)

4000+ unemployed men try to find their way somewhere and likely can't afford to pay for food
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Post by jamesbond007 Yesterday at 5:23 am

Usually banditry (hitting local trade)

4000+ unemployed men try to find their way somewhere and likely can't afford to pay for food

Yes. They will probably go that way. I was more thinking where will the banditry end. Spain will soon chase them out of the Milanese. From there they could go anywhere. It will keep a few nations busy for a few months.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:12 pm