Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+17
jamesbond007
Stuart Bailey
Marshal Bombast
Goldstar
Mike
Prunesquallor
SteelCityTyke
The Revenant
Deacon
J Flower
Richard D. Watts
Basileus
Papa Clement
revvaughan
count-de-monet
tkolter
Jason2
21 posters

Game 10

jamesbond007
    King
    King

Number of posts : 622
    Registration date : 2009-04-07

Game 10 - Page 27 Empty Re: Game 10

Post by jamesbond007 Mon May 02, 2022 2:11 pm

Yes a big thanks to Marshall for taking the time and effort each turn to summarise the months events. Always an enjoyable read.

Thanks also to Richard. He must have worked very hard in the courtroom of Agema studying the constant treaty breaches.

All in all g10 is turning out to be very enjoyable. Although will the real fun start at the end of next year when all the treaties run out.?
    Hapsburg
    Viscount
    Viscount

Number of posts : 160
    Registration date : 2008-06-20

Post by Hapsburg Fri May 06, 2022 11:21 pm

Although will the real fun start at the end of next year when all the treaties run out.?

I have added a note to my game diary for February/March 1707 – “High Alert - France and Spain invade Naples!”  Game 10 - Page 27 1f609

Stuart Bailey likes this post

Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2571
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat May 07, 2022 12:32 am

Hapsburg wrote:
    Although will the real fun start at the end of next year when all the treaties run out.?

I have added a note to my game diary for February/March 1707 – “High Alert - France and Spain invade Naples!”  Game 10 - Page 27 1f609

February/March sounds a bit early in the year, perhaps a diary entry for April 1707 or March if its not raining and blowing a gale?

What baffles me about a couple of games of Glori is why do we have all of these Spanish Hapsburg miracle babies who then ally with the Bourbons to invade Italy?

Would it not be easier if people just crowned the Duc of Anjou as King of Spain and then invaded Italy or Portugal after leaveing a note on the Versailles breakfast bar......"Dear Grandad Louis, hope you don't mind but have just borrowed the Army and a Navy for a trip to Naples.  Pass on all my love to Mum and Dad......your ever loving Grandson Philippe."
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Post by jamesbond007 Sat May 07, 2022 7:49 am

Stuart Bailey wrote:
    Hapsburg wrote:

February/March sounds a bit early in the year, perhaps a diary entry for April 1707 or March if its not raining and blowing a gale?

What baffles me about a couple of games of Glori is why do we have all of these Spanish Hapsburg miracle babies who then ally with the Bourbons to invade Italy?

Would it not be easier if people just crowned the Duc of Anjou as King of Spain and then invaded Italy or Portugal after leaveing a note on the Versailles breakfast bar......"Dear Grandad Louis, hope you don't mind but have just borrowed the Army and a Navy for a trip to Naples.  Pass on all my love to Mum and Dad......your ever loving Grandson Philippe."

Yes. Good idea, but what if the Duc Of Anjou was a player character and you didn’t know.? You would lose Spain without a sword being drawn. Hence, the Spanish miracle babies. It is the only way to guarantee the Spanish player remains in control of the Spanish position.
    Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 367
    Registration date : 2009-01-23

Post by Marshal Bombast Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:56 pm

The October 1705 game turn arrived with France being knocked off the honour table by the ‘Elector of Saxony, &c’. Which is slightly confusing as the Elector of Saxony is also in 4th place, maybe we have an imposter like the Pope in Rome has been rumoured to be?

1. Mount Pleasant saw a fiery demon pirate burst out at some merchantmen. History buffs might suspect Blackbeard, but I wonder if it’s something to do with Ling Fe being defeated by our erstwhile hero and his demonic spirit needed a new host?

We may know more when Yoshimune returns to his Uncle the Shogun with his rescued love Misako.

2. Royal French forces showed Aquitanian rebels that the King is the power in these lands and not a local Baron upset as the Gallican Pope.

3. Lille saw a failed attack by French forces against Swedish forces inside. At least the French battalion now knows how much longer their ladders need to be.

4. Prussian forces left Besancon to relieve the Austrians under siege at Belfort. The siege was lifted but not before the French destroyed the town’s magazine and at least some grain stores therein.

June 1706 seems to be the favoured month for the wedding of Crown Prince Frederick Wilhelm of Prussia to Sophia Dorothea of Hanover. Let’s hope he remembers to ask the army for a leave of absence!

Hanover meanwhile mobilised an Expeditionary Force to support the Reichsarmee.

5. Spanish forces made their way to the French coast with some marching for Pamplona in the Iberian Peninsula, while Austria landed forces in Italy. Spain’s Royal Navy has been busy in the Americas and statements have been made about where the HWIC should be headquartered there.

6. Brussels saw conversations move towards how unfair the Empire is to Flanders and that perhaps they should leave. As with anything in life there were those for and against it, which read like a case of follow the money.

7. In The Hague, Sweden raised the outstanding issue of what to do about the Franche-Comte and gave a couple of suggestions on how to resolve it.

8. Lord Melville in Scotland was in fine form talking peace and prosperity, while The Lord God Dolphin in England thought His Majesty may like to inspect some of the military.

Whereas the new Asante Ambassador to London hoped His Majesty would join them for tea. Perhaps this will be one of the stories the newly qualified itinerant bards will sing about as they wander the Asanteman

9. Flanders’ Ambassadors confused me a bit by insulting King Rodrigo and recognising him at the same time in their efforts to have various German states declare for the Gallican Pope rather than the Spanish Pope in Rome.

10. Rome saw a spy arrested for taking too keen an interest in the defences there.

11. Emperor Leopold arrived in Vienna and talked about various things including the latest court rulings on treaty questions between Austria and Spain.

12. Madrid saw the Christening of a son and daughter born to King Rodrigo and Dona Isabella de Olivares, The Queen of Spain.

The King was in good mood as he granted various favours requested by Pope Clement in Rome.

13. Interestingly all 9 trade areas have a trade report on the last page. Which if regular will be interesting for me at least, though I’ll need to update my game spreadsheet.

Given my recent forgotten orders going through I probably need to overhaul it anyway, as I had planned them in again for next year!

Hapsburg likes this post

count-de-monet
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 379
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by count-de-monet Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:14 pm

1. Mount Pleasant saw a fiery demon pirate burst out at some merchantmen. History buffs might suspect Blackbeard, but I wonder if it’s something to do with Ling Fe being defeated by our erstwhile hero and his demonic spirit needed a new host?

We may know more when Yoshimune returns to his Uncle the Shogun with his rescued love Misako.

It is maybe time for Yoshimune to take his demon hunting skills further afield. The issue of demons is clearly more widespread than Japan
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:35 pm

count-de-monet wrote:1. Mount Pleasant saw a fiery demon pirate burst out at some merchantmen. History buffs might suspect Blackbeard, but I wonder if it’s something to do with Ling Fe being defeated by our erstwhile hero and his demonic spirit needed a new host?

It is maybe time for Yoshimune to take his demon hunting skills further afield.  The issue of demons is clearly more widespread than Japan

If you believe in demonic possession Rome in G10 would seem to be a good place to start since Papa Clement has clearly been taken over by an evil spirit and is now doing very strange things. My big book of Rune Quest Magic would seem to indicate a Spanish Puppeteer Spirit has stolen the Pope!

In you believe the Ottomans in G9 the Doge of Venice and the Elector of Bavaria are probably evil spirits. While the Emperor would no doubt nominate the Cardinal General of Spain as being in need of Exorcism with the melign spirit being thrust out of the body by use of a red hot poker applied up the anus.

Finally in G7 King James is looking for a Witchfinder General - knowledge of how to speak Spanish plus knowledge of Oran and perhaps Marsailles an advantage.
    Papa Clement
    Papa Clement
    King
    King

Number of posts : 686
    Registration date : 2019-02-10

Post by Papa Clement Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:11 pm

Stuart Bailey wrote:
    count-de-monet wrote:1. Mount Pleasant saw a fiery demon pirate burst out at some merchantmen. History buffs might suspect Blackbeard, but I wonder if it’s something to do with Ling Fe being defeated by our erstwhile hero and his demonic spirit needed a new host?

It is maybe time for Yoshimune to take his demon hunting skills further afield.  The issue of demons is clearly more widespread than Japan

If you believe in demonic possession Rome in G10 would seem to be a good place to start since Papa Clement has clearly been taken over by an evil spirit and is now doing very strange things.  My big book of Rune Quest Magic would seem to indicate a Spanish Puppeteer Spirit has stolen the Pope!

In you believe the Ottomans in G9 the Doge of Venice and the Elector of Bavaria are probably evil spirits.  While the Emperor would no doubt nominate the Cardinal General of Spain as being in need of Exorcism with the melign spirit being thrust out of the body by use of a red hot poker applied up the anus.

Finally in G7 King James is looking for a Witchfinder General - knowledge of how to speak Spanish plus knowledge of Oran and perhaps Marsailles an advantage.

I lost track of what my former character in G10 is doing some time ago, so whatever he is doing now is nothing to do with me.

As for G7 King James looking for a Witchfinder General ... nice idea, but burning witches (at least in England) was more associated with the puritans in the early-mid 1600s than later periods. I have no such plans to recruit one. Although if the Martel who has appeared in Marseilles is a double, that does suggest some kind of witchcraft, so perhaps I could add that to his charge sheet?
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:36 am

Papa Clement wrote:

I lost track of what my former character in G10 is doing some time ago, so whatever he is doing now is nothing to do with me.

As for G7 King James looking for a Witchfinder General ... nice idea, but burning witches (at least in England) was more associated with the puritans in the early-mid 1600s than later periods.  I have no such plans to recruit one.  Although if the Martel who has appeared in Marseilles is a double, that does suggest some kind of witchcraft, so perhaps I could add that to his charge sheet?

Since King James is a sort of Catholic, only not in communion with Rome and head of the Anglican Church. Perhaps the wording of the job advert is a bit poor. Would wanted "Head of the English Inquestion" work better?

After all, if witches in England and Scotland mostly burnt by Puritans and King James has got rid of all the Puritans to America or the UDP then England and Scotland are probably over-run with Witches Twisted Evil by now.

As for you Papa Clement former character "Papa Clementi" in G10 according to Mr Flower he has now mastered the art of standing on his head and doing tricks when ordered too by Madrid and has even learnt how to juggle and do everything with his former off hand.

While King Rodrigo getting the excommunication order against himself and his Royal council can perhaps be put down too politics and the application of large amounts of Spanish (well ex Japanese, Austrain & French) gold. The real mystery is how did King Rodrigo get your ex character to rip up all prior Church law and his own ruling on the subject and dismiss Charles von Hapsburg from the Papal fiefs of Naples, Sicily and Sardinia and appoint a natural born (at best) son of Carlos II instead ??????

Mr Flower account of G10 going on has left G7 Spain slack jawed with shock and a degree of envey. Pope never does that for Spain in G7 in fact he normally spends his time politely informing Spain what is can not do, no matter how much we spend on Holy Mother Church. While leading to plantiff cries from the wild woods of Germany (well Munster......think they have drained most of their bogs and now longer make offerings to Odin by hanging them in trees but I might be wrong) along lines of "What have you done to the real Papa Clenent?" and wild theories about the Pope in the Iron Mask.
    Papa Clement
    Papa Clement
    King
    King

Post by Papa Clement Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:49 pm

Stuart Bailey wrote:
    Papa Clement wrote:

As for G7 King James looking for a Witchfinder General ... nice idea, but burning witches (at least in England) was more associated with the puritans in the early-mid 1600s than later periods.  I have no such plans to recruit one.  Although if the Martel who has appeared in Marseilles is a double, that does suggest some kind of witchcraft, so perhaps I could add that to his charge sheet?

Since King James is a sort of Catholic, only not in communion with Rome and head of the Anglican Church.  Perhaps the wording of the job advert is a bit poor.  Would wanted "Head of the English Inquestion" work better?

After all, if witches in England and Scotland mostly burnt by Puritans and King James has got rid of all the Puritans to America or the UDP then England and Scotland are probably over-run with Witches  Twisted Evil  by now.

In G7 King James is fully Catholic and in communion with Rome.  There is no inconsistency in this because in 1700 the Catholic Church did not recognise protestant 'churches' as churches.   Thus from his perspective he is merely the secular head of a non-religious organisation; of course from the view of the Anglican church, in their articles they are obliged to recognise him as Head of that 'church'.  Which does make it perhaps a little tricky to understand since it would normally be a sin (in 1700) for Catholics to pray with protestants.  The church's workaround is simply to declare that Catholics are not praying with protestants, but that protestants are praying with Catholics (which of course makes it fine - for catholics).

Stuart Bailey wrote:
    As for you Papa Clement former character "Papa Clementi" in G10 according to Mr Flower he has now mastered the art of standing on his head and doing tricks when ordered too by Madrid and has even learnt how to juggle and do everything with his former off hand.

While King Rodrigo getting the excommunication order against himself and his Royal council can perhaps be put down too politics and the application of large amounts of Spanish (well ex Japanese, Austrian & French) gold.  The real mystery is how did King Rodrigo get your ex character to rip up all prior Church law and his own ruling on the subject and dismiss Charles von Hapsburg from the Papal fiefs of Naples, Sicily and Sardinia and appoint a natural born (at best) son of Carlos II instead ??????

Mr Flower account of G10 going on has left G7 Spain slack jawed with shock and a degree of envey.  Pope never does that for Spain in G7 in fact he normally spends his time politely informing Spain what is can not do, no matter how much we spend on Holy Mother Church.  While leading to plantiff cries from the wild woods of Germany (well Munster......think they have drained most of their bogs and now longer make offerings to Odin by hanging them in trees but I might be wrong) along lines of "What have you done to the real Papa Clenent?" and wild theories about the Pope in the Iron Mask.    

Pope in the Iron Mask is as good a theory as any ... can't really comment on what has been going on.
    Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 367
    Registration date : 2009-01-23

Post by Marshal Bombast Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:43 pm

G10 arrived last week and the paper left me wondering if I need to sack the Russian translation department, as it left me with a lot of ‘what’s going on?’ type questions.

1. Aquitaine saw the rebellion led by Baron Bittencourt squashed permanently by his demise.

2. Spanish SOL sailed into Santo Domingo and after a few weeks started shooting and sinking other smaller Spanish ships! What’s going on? Maybe the French Viceroy will figure it out or follow orders in future.

3. The Hague saw France urged to take part in the peace talks and answer the questions their insistence on a white peace means.

The Dutch Grand Pensionary presented further proposals, only to find France agreeing the previous 18 month armistice under certain conditions which must be agreed next month or it will be withdrawn.

Less than a week later France publicly accepted the Swedish peace proposal and thought it was binding on Austria too.

Austria thought France is bankrupt and in light of above will, like the rest of us newspaper readers, need to work out what they need to respond to.

4. The Dutch Ambassador to Rome appears to have relocated to Pope Leo’s residence – no idea where that is, somewhere in France maybe, unless he's bought somewhere in Rome?

Meanwhile the Dutch militia seem to be training to improve the long term defence of the UDP. Given the veiled speeches of the Stadtholder and his other kingdoms Chancellors it’s difficult to know who they think they’ll need to defend against.

I’m not sure why England and Scotland were all celebrating the 100th anniversary of an assassination attempt on the monarchy in front of their King! Are memories of this time the reason why no one is visiting the Asante embassy to take tea this month?

5. Blackbeard appears to have swung the hearts and minds of those he recently freed, to join his cause.

6. Swedish forces refused to give up Lille, so the French forces left as they did at Luxembourg. Austria have been giving citizens warnings before torching the place. Is this why France has a timber shortage so they can’t build anymore ships?

7. His Most Christian Majesty informed Bourbon forces in the New World that any lands that were Spanish in January 1700 should be returned to French administration. Think I’ve lost the plot here!

8. Verdun returned to French control, while Austria took administrative control of Dijon and then promptly burnt down the river port facilities. No doubt causing memories for the townsfolk similar to those ingrained in Bordeaux.

9. Prussia requested a more prominent position in the line of battle rather than staying back and watching.

10. Flanders continued diplomatic pressure in the Rhineland, with Pfalz promptly pointing out the unrealistic position they felt they would be put in.

11. Regensburg heard many questions were raised in the Imperial diet questioning Imperial actions, followed by the rise of the Hungarian National Party urging cessation from Austria.

12. Spain claimed Milan is Spanish, not Japanese.

The Milanese Duke claimed Milan was Austrian and locked himself away in the citadel before French troops could ask him further questions.

Genoa’s Doge stated his unhappiness with what’s happening to Genoa’s troops, stating it could drive Genoa into the French camp.

13. The Asante haven’t fully combated their famine, which struck many down this month.

14. Edo saw changes made to who’s leading on the Japanese economy to combat inflationary pressures, from a rice glut in the financial system.

Hapsburg likes this post

Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:42 pm

[quote="Marshal Bombast"]G10 arrived last week and the paper left me wondering if I need to sack the Russian translation department, as it left me with a lot of ‘what’s going on?’ type questions.

First it was Russian sailors after they sunk three fleets in short order and had to eat a cabin boy after getting suck in the ice.

Then it as the Russian diplomatic service after Russia won a war and they gifted Sweden the Czar new city of St Petersburg.

Then it was Russian map makers for crimes against cartography and navigation too numerious too mention.  Though attempts were made to blame vodka (or gin if Dutch) and sailors and Jacobites holding maps upside down.

Now we have the blame going on the Russian translation department!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Assume Russian players can always adopt the historic method of employing mostly foreign staff and marrying Germans generation after generation so their characters are more German or something else than Russian by blood.

Marrying a Hapsburg in G9 or G10 (one of them anyway) would seem to the in line with this plan.  Think G7 plan of marrying an Ottoman (better sailors but not sure about other matters) and employing a right mixed bag which includes ex Blackbeards lot, Jacobites, Prussians in Africa and ex Sons of Liberty and Martels lot may have a few holes in it.  Just have to wonder if Czar will now take on a French financial adviser and a certain half English half Flanders sailor and business man who has formerly worked with and for the English, French and Spanish Governments having recently left Spanish employment under a bit of a cloud. (King of Spain totally unreasonable expected his Viceroy to stand and fight invaders).  Probably as really good references if Czar does not bother to check with past employers.
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Post by jamesbond007 Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:28 am

Hi Marshall. Let me help with your confusion.

In g10 there are false flag operations going on and a player who told the game he stopped many months ago but in truth, he never stopped playing in the game.

Hope that helps with some confusion.
    SteelCityTyke
    Squire
    Squire

Number of posts : 16
    Registration date : 2020-02-13

Post by SteelCityTyke Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:24 am

Pretty big statement?
    Papa Clement
    Papa Clement
    King
    King

Post by Papa Clement Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:07 am

Russian sailors, Russian diplomats, Russian map makers, and now Russian translators?  Seems some people are awfully keen on blaming the Russians for everything they don't understand.

And then when that fails, blame some mysterious former player who has come back as a ghost just to frustrate their plans.

If memory serves, a similar situation occurred in G7 - nobody could cope with the fact that I had left, so they kept inventing the idea that I had returned and was behind all the problems of the game.  This went on for a few game years.

I could issue a similar denial that I have not returned to G10, but since players were determined to twist or disbelieve what I did when I was playing and they had the evidence of game letters to prove their theories wrong, I doubt they would be dissuaded by anything more I could add now.

Personally I quite like the idea that the ghost of Martel from G7 has made an appearance in G10.

Either that or certain players will have to get used to the idea that the only King of Spain that will be accepted by the nobility and people of Spain in G10 is a Hapsburg, son of Emperor Leopold, not some imposter with a ludicrously false 'history', however important he may think he is and however much money the player may spend on his game turns.  

If an old player has returned, then I hope they can make more progress in restoring some sanity to G10.  It would appear to need it.
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Post by jamesbond007 Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:18 am

Papa Clement wrote:Russian sailors, Russian diplomats, Russian map makers, and now Russian translators?  Seems some people are awfully keen on blaming the Russians for everything they don't understand.

And then when that fails, blame some mysterious former player who has come back as a ghost just to frustrate their plans.

If memory serves, a similar situation occurred in G7 - nobody could cope with the fact that I had left, so they kept inventing the idea that I had returned and was behind all the problems of the game.  This went on for a few game years.

I could issue a similar denial that I have not returned to G10, but since players were determined to twist or disbelieve what I did when I was playing and they had the evidence of game letters to prove their theories wrong, I doubt they would be dissuaded by anything more I could add now.

Personally I quite like the idea that the ghost of Martel from G7 has made an appearance in G10.

Either that or certain players will have to get used to the idea that the only King of Spain that will be accepted by the nobility and people of Spain in G10 is a Hapsburg, son of Emperor Leopold, not some imposter with a ludicrously false 'history', however important he may think he is and however much money the player may spend on his game turns.  

If an old player has returned, then I hope they can make more progress in restoring some sanity to G10.  It would appear to need it.

Good to see you still chewing on those sour grapes. How did you manage to be the only in game pope to have lost most of his catholic flock.?

Get over yourself. The returning, or more like never left player being referred to. Is not you.
    Papa Clement
    Papa Clement
    King
    King

Post by Papa Clement Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:26 am

jamesbond007 wrote:The returning, or more like never left player being referred to. Is not you.

Are you sure?

How do you know that I haven't rejoined as another position, just to be in for the kill?

I could be playing a totally different character. Might even enjoy playing Martel in G10?
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Post by jamesbond007 Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:55 am

Papa Clement wrote:
    jamesbond007 wrote:The returning, or more like never left player being referred to. Is not you.

Are you sure?

How do you know that I haven't rejoined as another position, just to be in for the kill?

I could be playing a totally different character.  Might even enjoy playing Martel in G10?

Yes. I am sure. You may have rejoined but you are not the player being referred to.
    Papa Clement
    Papa Clement
    King
    King

Post by Papa Clement Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:30 am

jamesbond007 wrote:
    Papa Clement wrote:

Are you sure?

I could be playing a totally different character.  Might even enjoy playing Martel in G10?

Yes. I am sure. You may have rejoined but you are not the player being referred to.

So you're not sure.

Neither can you be sure that I am not helping the player you think has rejoined?

I might even be playing one of your own characters, unknown to you ... that was, after all, what happened in G7 for a while when Martel was a character on Spain's asset list, became active for a while, messed things up for Spain, and then became inactive only for Richard to play him as the criminal he was while keeping his true nature hidden from the Spanish player.  Even now, years later, Martel is still causing problems.  There must be many potential Martel-type characters that you have invented over the last year or so, outwardly appearing to obey your orders, but inwardly creating their own base from which to strike at you.  G7 Martel had some great ideas for this, so all the work would be done for me.  Instead of employing spies to read Spanish mail, he set up a postal service where he could naturally read all the mail before Spain did and/or substitute correspondence.  His connections with the Spanish banking system meant he could launder money and defraud the Spanish treasury without Spain ever being aware of the full extent of his crimes.  And if anyone did suspect, he could just get a gang of his thugs to eliminate them.  Very sneaky, Martel, and all has already happened within games, so with the right motivation, could easily happen again.
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Post by jamesbond007 Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:24 pm

Yes I am sure. As I said the player being referred to cannot be you because I know exactly who it is. Regardless of if you are in the game and what position or character you take.

As for taking characters and playing a Martel type game. To combat this you  Place your own spies everywhere. In the mail system, in the banks, trade, army and navy. This gives you a permanent chance  to discover the action.

I think it’s quite sad players playing a position like that. Like a Martel. Playing just to spite or hurt the position of a player that the sad player does not like. If that carries on enough it will kill the games and enjoyment. Player numbers are not great to start with. Not much new blood coming into the games. So to deliberately ruin a player position or cause constant mischief to that player position seems quite daft. It’s a spiteful way to play.

In my humble opinion.
    SteelCityTyke
    Squire
    Squire

Number of posts : 16
    Registration date : 2020-02-13

Post by SteelCityTyke Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:34 pm

🍿🍿🍿
    Papa Clement
    Papa Clement
    King
    King

Post by Papa Clement Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:00 pm

jamesbond007 wrote:Yes I am sure. As I said the player being referred to cannot be you because I know exactly who it is. Regardless of if you are in the game and what position or character you take.

As for taking characters and playing a Martel type game. To combat this you  Place your own spies everywhere. In the mail system, in the banks, trade, army and navy. This gives you a permanent chance  to discover the action.

I think it’s quite sad players playing a position like that. Like a Martel. Playing just to spite or hurt the position of a player that the sad player does not like. If that carries on enough it will kill the games and enjoyment. Player numbers are not great to start with. Not much new blood coming into the games. So to deliberately ruin a player position or cause constant mischief to that player position seems quite daft. It’s a spiteful way to play.

In my humble opinion.

A chance to discover what is going on, certainly, but as Martel proved over a long period, a committed and inventive player can and will get away with it. The number of times I arrested one of Martel's minions, but always managed to miss Martel - safe as he was hiding behind his sponsor.

Not all players have the same style or objectives.  Just because you may find them inconvenient does not mean they are spiteful - Martel originated as a pirate position who gained honour for doing sneaky things; it was through the indulgence of other players that he became so powerful, a convenient foil for them to hide behind rather than having the courage to play openly.  I might not like it, just as I don't like the idea of factions in games, but I can't deny that as a character and approach it was very successful.

I happen to think that any player who:
    1. joins a game with a made up character instead of the established characters out of some paranoid idea that any existing character might be taken away from him;
    2. plays the sympathy card to get players to support him before turning on them;
    3. having signed contradictory treaties, betrays those players;
    4. find themselves in the middle of a civil war with characters/colonies deserting, units not obeying orders or deciding they are better off serving a proper ruler instead of an imposter;
    5. declares they intend to keep the 'Spanish' inheritance intact, then sells off the bits he doesn't want to other countries;
    6. blames the papacy for all these self-inflicted blunders when they were all ordered by you ...

deserves to face significant opposition using whatever tactics those players decide - it is their game after all, not just yours.  If the ghost of Martel has appeared in G10 and is targeting your character, it is highly likely that the players behind it are your own 'allies'.  All perfectly legitimate tactics under the circumstances.
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Post by jamesbond007 Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:58 pm

Let me answer those posts for you.I gather you were bitching at me.

1. The character Rodrigo was in game 10 long before I arrived. So not made up by me. As for a paranoid idea of losing a character. I made that point to Richard. He agreed and introduced a new rule change because of it.
    2.  I didn’t need to play the sympathy card. In game friends helped me early doors. I have not turned on anyone. Never been at war with anyone yet.
    3. I have signed treaties and stuck to each one.
    4. No civil war exists in Spain. Never has been.
    5.As Spanish Player I can sell anything I wish. As can any player. When I joined I had no army. Other countries had entered and taken by force parts of the Spanish colonies. I decided to sell some, rather than waiting a few years to attempt to get them back by force.
    6. As pope you lost France and Spain from your flock. France even set up a rival pope.Through bad play by yourself. Don’t blame others for your mistakes.

Martel has not surfaced in g10. Do you get anything right.?

Hope the above pointers has put you straight. Anything else you want yo know please just ask.
    Papa Clement
    Papa Clement
    King
    King

Post by Papa Clement Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:11 pm

jamesbond007 wrote:Let me answer those posts for you.

It isn't compulsory.

jamesbond007 wrote:Don’t blame others for your mistakes.

Since at no point in this recent exchange did I refer to my own time during G10, I can only assume you are finally giving yourself some good advice.

jamesbond007 wrote:Martel has not surfaced in g10.

I did refer to the 'ghost' of Martel, or Martel-type characters.  It seems to me that Spain in G10 would be a wonderful opportunity for someone to join if they enjoy causing trouble.  It doesn't have to be Martel by name to be Martel by nature.  The write-up did mention Blackbeard (point5), who seems to be recruiting.  And I was rather surprised by point 12 - I can't think of any other game where Spain has been forced to deny Milan is Japanese.  But of course if you go around sinking your own ships then I suppose anything is possible.

Of course what would really make things interesting is if one of the major positions suddenly became vacant.  Then I could rejoin as a made up character, turn all existing alliances upside down and decide that Milan was owned by me, irrespective of the wishes of other established players.  I would of course be welcomed by many players who would shower me with funds and favours, relieved that a sense of historical realism may return to the game.  After all, however unlikely and implausible it may be, some of this has happened before, so it may well happen again.  Who knows?
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Post by jamesbond007 Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:09 pm

It would be nice to see you return in g10. Be interesting to see if you can alienate most of your fellow religious flock like you did last time. I suppose Richard allows players to return in games where they messed up a previous position.

If you did return I would be the first to welcome you and offer you a treaty. We could be friends and allies. That would surprise a few.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 2:24 pm