Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

3 posters

Rome is Burning! Back for More Punishment

MarkTurner26
    MarkTurner26
    Marquess
    Marquess

Number of posts : 260
    Registration date : 2012-11-03

Rome is Burning! Back for More Punishment Empty Rome is Burning! Back for More Punishment

Post by MarkTurner26 Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:40 am

Hi All,

Just joined Rome is Burning as Lucius Duvius Avitus, Legatus of Aquitania. Have played GOK on and off now for 8 years with varying success, ha ha.

To say that I am excited about playing the Roman version is an understatement! Being an avid Roman history nut I just couldn't not play it.

J Flower likes this post

Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2571
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Rome is Burning! Back for More Punishment Empty Re: Rome is Burning! Back for More Punishment

Post by Stuart Bailey Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:31 pm

MarkTurner26 wrote:Hi All,

Just joined Rome is Burning as Lucius Duvius Avitus, Legatus of Aquitania. Have played GOK on and off now for 8 years with varying success, ha ha.

To say that I am excited about playing the Roman version is an understatement! Being an avid Roman history nut I just couldn't not play it.

I was just thinking that after the initial "panic" over Gaul finding ten year dead heir to the Empire in its market place etc T1 had been very quite from a Gaulic point of view.

Looks like that thought may have been an error!Very Happy

Anyway welcome back Mark........ just odd to see you taking a nice quite civilized province like Aquitania.........still I am sure it will not be long before Nero needs someone for a new Province in Britannia, Dacia or further Germania.
    MarkTurner26
    MarkTurner26
    Marquess
    Marquess

Rome is Burning! Back for More Punishment Empty Re: Rome is Burning! Back for More Punishment

Post by MarkTurner26 Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:05 pm

Ha, there was only 3 roman positions left and I was definitely going to play a Roman. I was thinking of taking Otho in Lusitania and try to rise to power and hold it, but felt I would take a different approach for this game seeing as its my first one back in a while, might be a little rusty. But I have been taking notes on my trusty tablet in a dark candle lit tent after having finished reading Simon Scarrow and Anthony Riches.
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1239
    Registration date : 2012-02-16

Post by J Flower Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:33 pm

Glad to have you back in game Mark, Hope you enjoy it all, your more than welcome to visit the Enchanting Woodlands of The Teutonbergerwald, very plesant at this time of year.

Johntindall likes this post

MarkTurner26
    MarkTurner26
    Marquess
    Marquess

Post by MarkTurner26 Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:55 pm

J Flower wrote:Glad to have you back in game Mark, Hope you enjoy it all, your more than welcome to visit the Enchanting Woodlands of The Teutonbergerwald, very plesant at this time of year.

If its all the same I will be avoiding that ghost filled forest just for the time being ha ha ha
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:23 pm

MarkTurner26 wrote:
    J Flower wrote:Glad to have you back in game Mark, Hope you enjoy it all, your more than welcome to visit the Enchanting Woodlands of The Teutonbergerwald, very plesant at this time of year.

If its all the same I will be avoiding that ghost filled forest just for the time being ha ha ha

Can confirm that the Teutonbergerwald and other German Woods are cold and wet in February/March (were game currently is). Probably best to wait for summer before holding your Teddy Bears picnic.

MarkTurner26
    MarkTurner26
    Marquess
    Marquess

Post by MarkTurner26 Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:44 pm

Ha! I shall stick with my trusty gladius in Aquitania thank you very much

Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:27 pm

Have just found the Rome is Burning version of a Scots player trying to build a Golf Course at St Andrews (Fife) and ending up with one located at St Andrews (West Indies).

Look up own Character and find he commanded X Legion.........read that X Legion is now trapped against the Sea in a world of religious fanatic's:shock:

Just about to send my old legion a load of olive oil, best quality steel and rope made from hair of dancers from Gades for their ballista's, lead shot and slingers.......as taste of home.

Then realized it was not the X Gemina but the X Fretensis. Fretensis being the Strait between Italy and Sicily so almost sent some of my best Olive Oil to a bunch of Greeks who backed Hannibal to the bitter end and who would probably view a gift of non Sicilian Olive oil as an insult.

As well as two X legions by the end of Nero reign you had 4 "I" legions (probably only two currently), 2 "II" legions, 3 "III" legions, 2 "IIII" legions, 2 "V" legions, 2 "VI" and 2 "XV" legions.

All I am saying is send the wrong order to the wrong Legion and a Golf Course in the West Indies is not going to look so bad after all.

J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1239
    Registration date : 2012-02-16

Post by J Flower Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:53 am

Just to help spread confusion Thought it nice to List the Legions on the Rhine,

I Germanica
    IV Macedonia
    V Alaudae ( The Larks) ?
    XXII Primigenia
    XV Primigenia
    XVI Gallica.

All ready & waiting for the Spring Thaw, so they can get out & about, take boating trips on the River, Afternoon strolls in the Enchanted Woodlands of the Area, Meet the locals & generally enjoy the life of a frontier soldier
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:33 pm

J Flower wrote:Just to help spread confusion Thought it nice to List the Legions on the Rhine,

I Germanica
    IV Macedonia
    V Alaudae ( The Larks) ?
    XXII Primigenia
    XV  Primigenia
    XVI Gallica.

All ready & waiting for the Spring Thaw, so they can get out & about, take boating trips on the River, Afternoon strolls in the Enchanted Woodlands of the Area, Meet the locals & generally enjoy the life of a frontier soldier

Well at least the Legions of the Rhine do not share any of the same numbers.

But with Merlin and the Swedish Witches three already active before the lads on the Rhine get too comfortable on their Jolly boating holidays (Do we the tax payers of Rome actually fund this?!) you probably need to check with the saced chickens about what they think about Rhine Maidens, Evil Dwarfs, Dragons, Girls in rings of fire only a true hero can cross, and large fair haired types with magical swords.

I watched the Ring Cycle and it was all about your Enchanted Woodlands.

But if you are going into the woods just remember Rome needs a lot of new timber to help the rebuild.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:13 pm

And after six months of Rome is burning is everyone feeling happy that they have signed up to a much more stable sign line than the historic one? Very Happy

So far compared to the historic timeline:

- The conspiracy of Piso has not happened so some of Rome very best authors and leading Senators have not have to kill themselves and Senator Piso continues to target his arch foe Senator Claudius in the Senate with wit and cutting remarks.

- Rome best and most loyal General has not been forced to kill himself and has instead been sent to Britannia (a sort of honourable internal exile......the Otha Solution after the Empress first husband and old friend of Nero who had done nothing wrong but who the Emperor wanted out of Rome). Ok Britannia is a lot colder, wetter and lacks the friendly natives and good wines and olives of Hispania but Rome also needed someone to drag the slackers out of the Bath House and get our Eagle back!

- Nero eastern campaign seems to be getting started early without the the boy in the purple needing to leave Italy and then get stopped by revolts in Gaul.

- And perhaps what could really send the timeline totally off. The Empress has not been kicked to death in a fit of passion and has come to term. Unless she and the baby die in childbirth (always very possible in this period) would be new Emperor's face the prospect of the best looking woman in the Empire getting to the Legions with the infant heir of the Julio-Claudian family in her arms. One suspect a rush of Generals into the divorce courts and the campaign going very "Troy" on us, with a mass scrap over who gets to comfort and protect the new widow. Some people never learn that Red Heads can be bad for your health!

So in the first part of this new timeline what has most upset the players in RIB who are Romans? For me its:

- The terrible inflation in Roman building costs. Planning is a nightmare, everything costs x10 and takes x5 longer than you thought it would. Basically its just horrid to be a Roman wanting to help rebuild the city. Think if it continues the Constantine solution of lets build a new Rome on a cheaper green field site with a proper port and not a a flood plain may get some serious consideration.

- Also upset about the fact that the commander of the Guard seems to be a Woman hating Pycho and total PR disaster for the Roman Government. Wonder if the Otha solution would work for him as well? Diplomatic envoy to the Huns or Alans perhaps?

So if Romans are upset about builders and civil servents (1st world problems?) how are players on the wrong side of the frontier finding things? Does the Roman Empire look ripe for spoil and plunder or scary from the other side of the fence?l

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 6:30 am