Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+2
Papa Clement
J Flower
6 posters

A Rough Index of LGDR Supplements

J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1239
    Registration date : 2012-02-16

A Rough Index of LGDR Supplements  Empty A Rough Index of LGDR Supplements

Post by J Flower Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:55 am

This is a rough Index to some of the Supplements available to us all in Games of LGDR, If someone has time to add the other supplements please, please fell free to do so. I hope it will be of some help to you all. At least it is a start point, please add & expand to it if you can, I think as a group we can probably manage to have a reference for us here on the Forum that would help us all. Not sure how to work it maybe PM me with your lists & I can alter & add to the post.
    Thankyou all in advance.

Defoe's Illuminations:
    p.3: Rat Catchers
    p.8: Stud farm Training
    p.9: Guard Dogs
    p.9: Arsenals
    p.11: Infantry Classification
    p.17: Building options (such as Harems and Shrines)
    p.18: Tobacco
    p.18: Cork
    P.19: Rinderpest
    P.20: Stud farm Selective Breeding
    p.21: Farm Tools
    p.21: Timber (types and uses and values)
    p.22: Water wells
    p.25: Mining matters
    p.26: Mining Improvements
    p.27: Trade matters
    p.29: Slave Work gangs

The Gentleman's Handbook:
    p.2: Gold or Silver Bullion
    p.4: Slave Markets
    p.4: Seed Grain
    p.5: Fresh Water Supply & Aqueducts
    p.14: Last Will & Testament
    p.15: Addressing Other Rulers

Carte Blanche:
    p.15: Animal Husbandry Academy

Book of Revelations:
    p.2: (military) Drilling
    p.3: (military) Shields
    p.4: (military) Patrolling Roads
    p.6: Converting Tribal Infantry to Regulars
    p.7: Fort Stockade
    p.7: Wooden Fortress
    p.7: Sluice Gates for Flooding a Fortress Ditch
    p.10: The Trouble with Road Repairs
    p.14: Settlers
    p.15: Covered Market
    p.15: Medical Care
    p.16: Buffalo
    p.17: Catastrophic Crop Failure
    p.18: Flax Crops
    p.19: Legume Seeds
    p.20: Potash

Advice for Princes:
    p.2: Night Soil Men
    p.2: (military) Pack Animals
    p.4: Loss of Prospecting Party
    P.7 (military) Troops on High Alert, and Guarding Prisoners
    p.27: Estate Revenues and Estate Revenues - Increasing Income
    p.29: Caravanasaries
    P.29: Surplus Grain as Animal Feed
    p.32: Tropical Hardwood
    p.34: Religious men for the army & for the population
    p.41: Southern African tribe - San
    p.42: Southern African tribe - Khoikhoin
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

A Rough Index of LGDR Supplements  Empty Re: A Rough Index of LGDR Supplements

Post by J Flower Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:08 am

While I am at it I did a bit of research that may interest a few new players as well I think this list of titles used to be in the rule book, but I think it has been edited out of the newer version.

List of Titles
                                                                     In Order of rank.

Emperor
    King
    Arch -Duke
    Grand Prince/ Duke
    Prince/ Infante
    Duke
    Sovereign Prince/ Fürst
    Marquess/Margrave/ Landgrave/ Count Palatine
    Count/ Earl / Graf
    Viscount
    Baron/ Freiherr
    Baronet/ Herditary Knight
    Knight
    Esquire
    Gentleman

In addition the following may also be used,

Dauphin in regards to the Heir apparent to France.

The Erb prefix is attached to German titles to indicate the heir to the title so for example Erbherzog  could be used.

Kürfurst is used to designate a German Prince who is also an Elector.

Letters between Monarchs can begin with “ Sir my Brother” Or “Madam my Sister” as this shows they respect the rank of their fellow Monarch. In closing the letter the phrase
    “Your Good Brother/ Sister”

If one Monarch is of superior rank to the other then the one of inferior rank refers to the other as “Sire,” Whist the monarch of the superior rank would replace the Brother/ Sister honorific with that of “Cousin.”

Rejection

It was not unknown for states to send a letter back to the sender if it was felt the contents were rude, or that the subject matter was inappropriate. So if you do feel bad language has been used, or other attacks on you personally you can always send letters to Agema to let them judge if the content falls into these categories & allow them to take action they deem fit. Or you can ask for the letter to be made public & let other monarchs see what kind of letters you have received. Either of these methods will hopefully lead to the other court reassessing their letter writing attitude.
    Papa Clement
    Papa Clement
    King
    King

Number of posts : 686
    Registration date : 2019-02-10

Post by Papa Clement Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:19 pm

While I welcome the idea of a general index to various rulebooks (and tried to compile one myself a few years ago), I'm not sure whether it is going to work without input from Richard, because:

1. The earliest supplement I have (Gentlemen's Handbook) dates from 2001 (20 years ago) and some entries from there have either been modified or significantly changed in later supplements.
    2. Some older rules have been dropped (or changed) as the game evolves.

I'm sure I am not alone in being caught out by relying on older rules and assuming they are still operating.

Clearly there is a use for an index of some kind, but if there is something that a player particularly wants to use, the options are either to ask a question on the forum (to get a rough idea) or to ask Richard as part of the game turn.  Asking Richard is surely the only way to be sure and if there has been a rule change or modification we can rely on him making it known through the back pages of the next game newspaper so all players know.
    Papa Clement
    Papa Clement
    King
    King

Post by Papa Clement Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:52 pm

J Flower wrote:While I am at it I did a bit of research that may interest a few new players as well I think this list of titles used to be in the rule book, but I think it has been edited out of the newer version.

List of Titles
                                                                     In Order of rank.

Emperor
    King
    Arch -Duke
    Grand Prince/ Duke
    Prince/ Infante
    Duke
    Sovereign Prince/ Fürst
    Marquess/Margrave/ Landgrave/ Count Palatine
    Count/ Earl / Graf
    Viscount
    Baron/ Freiherr
    Baronet/ Herditary Knight
    Knight
    Esquire
    Gentleman

In addition the following may also be used,

Dauphin in regards to the Heir apparent to France.

The Erb prefix is attached to German titles to indicate the heir to the title so for example Erbherzog  could be used.

Kürfurst is used to designate a German Prince who is also an Elector.

Letters between Monarchs can begin with “ Sir my Brother” Or “Madam my Sister” as this shows they respect the rank of their fellow Monarch. In closing the letter the phrase
    “Your Good Brother/ Sister”

If one Monarch is of superior rank to the other then the one of inferior rank refers to the other as “Sire,” Whist the monarch of the superior rank would replace the Brother/ Sister honorific with that of “Cousin.”

Rejection

It was not unknown for states to send a letter back to the sender if it was felt the contents were rude, or that the subject matter was inappropriate. So if you do feel bad language has been used, or other attacks on you personally you can always send letters to Agema to let them judge if the content falls into these categories & allow them to take action they deem fit. Or you can ask for the letter to be made public & let other monarchs see what kind of letters you have received. Either of these methods will hopefully lead to the other court reassessing their letter writing attitude.

On titles/modes of address, the above tends to apply mainly to European positions rather than African, Asian, Ottoman positions, etc.  Even within Europe rank was more a matter of disagreement than agreement.  An Italian Count could hold his title based on a tiny piece of land, whereas a French Count would own a large land area.  An English Duke was certainly not the same as a French Duke; and there is a significant difference between a Duke and a Dukedom.

Ecclesiastical titles are a different matter again and are always superior to their secular equivalent.

A further consideration is whether one ruler recognises the title claimed by another.   To use one obvious example JFlower will be familiar with from G10, the Papacy recognises William of Orange to be Stadtholder of UDP and refers to him as such; it does not recognise him as King of England (etc), holding that James Stuart is King.   Historically various other nations followed the Papal lead, but it is surely down to each player to choose whether they wish to make an issue of this.  In G10 I have treated Stadtholder William with the respect he has shown the Papacy, and so far there have been no complaints from either of us.  Letters from various other players have deliberately addressed the Papacy incorrectly, sent as insults which I have not risen to.  It would also be quite correct historically to change the mode of addressing letters as a result of a character being excommunicated or through losing his titles.  The Papacy (and others) recognise King Karl Hapsburg as King of Spain in G10, not Roderigo the renegade and excommunicant.  It would be completely out of character for them to address a letter to Roderigo as 'King', indeed it is probably more historical for them not to write to him at all.  

This is not simply a G10 issue.  The latest letter I received from Spain in G7 began 'your Grace' - no doubt a deliberate insult from Stuart, or another breach of the Treaty of Scotland which requires Spain to recognise my character as King of England, etc.  But as a player I'm not going to start complaining to Richard and expecting him to censure Spain.  Nor am I going to declare war on Spain for this insult!  If a player is determined to take offence at something written in a letter or said by a character in the newspaper, then no doubt he will use it within the game to serve his purpose, but to expect Richard to read letters sent between players is as unrealistic as it is unnecessary.

As players we should make allowances for those who have not studied court protocol and modes of address in forensic detail.  We should also remember that not every player has English as a first language and it is completely unreasonable to expect them to understand subtleties of what to them is a foreign language.  I am sure that most of us value the contribution from players worldwide, who bring new perspectives on our understanding of history and will behave with tolerance and understanding to encourage them to enjoy the game.
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:44 pm

As I pointed out it is only an idea to try & help find articles a little more quickly it is something I hope others can use as a tool . it won't be perfect but maybe printing it out or adding your own note & reference will act as a quick reference.
    The Titles bit was again a guide line, It has always been a strength of LGDR that the rules, protocols & player interactions are flexible

Not trying to tell other people what the must or must not do simply sharing my own views & experiences of playing over the years. If players want to use it then fine if not then well, that's fine as well.

The idea of possibly getting Richard involved has merit, maybe compiling an index here on the Forum then getting him to have a peek at it to see if it can be updated & old information highlighted. (bit like getting teacher to check our home work)

Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2565
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:46 pm

If I have called anyone "your grace" when they rate a "your majesty" or even a "Your Imperial Majesty" (did the same to the Shah :pale).  Then that was an error my me the player over typing a letter rather than a culculated insult by my character.

If my character is going to insult anyone else's character I always try and make it so over the top and use as much "olde fashion" language as possible so no one is going to see it has an attack on them personally rather than the "rotton cad, bounder and whore of Babylon" they happen to be playing.

Think the only time I have wondered if my character should take offense about how letters were addressed was when prior Jacobite player in G7 (not current one) started to use title of "Most Catholic Majesty" in letters to King of Spain.  Pinching someone's title because you like the sound of it is one thing but then using it to the real owner is a bit much!
    Papa Clement
    Papa Clement
    King
    King

Post by Papa Clement Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:20 pm

Fair enough JFlower - as I wrote, it is a good idea.  

Over the years as players we have requested so many research developments, improvements or clarifications that there are now twice the number of rule supplements than there are games running.

I'm as guilty as anyone of adding layers of complexity, but no new player should feel put off by this.  

I just think we should be careful trying to compile a list of extracts from rules that evolve, then reaching a forum consensus based on that list rather than the rules of the game as applied by Richard.

Stuart Bailey wrote:If I have called anyone "your grace" when they rate a "your majesty" or even a "Your Imperial Majesty" (did the same to the Shah :pale).  Then that was an error by me the player over typing a letter rather than a calculated insult by my character.

If my character is going to insult anyone else's character I always try and make it so over the top and use as much "olde fashion" language as possible so no one is going to see it has an attack on them personally rather than the "rotton cad, bounder and whore of Babylon" they happen to be playing.

Think the only time I have wondered if my character should take offense about how letters were addressed was when prior Jacobite player in G7 (not current one) started to use title of "Most Catholic Majesty" in letters to King of Spain.  Pinching someone's title because you like the sound of it is one thing but then using it to the real owner is a bit much!

Thank you for the clarification, Stuart ... in G7, King James was granted the title of His Rightful and Most Catholic Majesty by the Pope, which is the correct formal mode of address and sent out on replies from England.   It could have been that a previous Jacobite player misunderstood that the whole point of being referred to in this way is not to stress that King James happens to be Catholic, but that the House of Stuart are the Rightful royal line.  I am quite willing to accept Your Majesty from most rulers, especially in introductory letters, but then King James is known for his relatively relaxed and helpful attitude.  Smile

I checked back in the Gentlemen's Handbook and that simply states (p15):

"There are a variety of ways of addressing people in letters, here are a few of the more polite honorific titles:

Your Excellency - when writing to an ambassador
    Your Eminence - addressing a Cardinal or Bishop
    Your Grace - title usable to most people below the rank of King or Emperor
    Your Holiness - the Pope
    Your Most Christian Majesty - the King of France
    Your Most Catholic Majesty - the King of Spain
    Your Most Faithful Majesty - the King of Portugal
    Your Imperial Majesty - the Holy Roman Emperor"

There is then a long section on court protocol.
    SteelCityTyke
    Squire
    Squire

Number of posts : 16
    Registration date : 2020-02-13

Post by SteelCityTyke Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:50 am

Great idea... it is extremely difficult for a new player to catch up(possibly even vaguely impossible in some aspects).

Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 362
    Registration date : 2009-01-23

Post by Marshal Bombast Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:48 pm

Hi all, following Jason's suggestion I've posted the indexes I've typed of all of the TGOK supplements in another thread so the indexes are at the top of the thread.

Let me know what you think.

Regards Mark

J Flower likes this post

SteelCityTyke
    Squire
    Squire

Number of posts : 16
    Registration date : 2020-02-13

Post by SteelCityTyke Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:50 pm

That my friend, is spectacular work.

Kudos
    The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 489
    Registration date : 2008-08-03

Post by The Revenant Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:06 am

I'll echo SteelCityTyke. This will be really really useful. As in my own lapse of memory, the question needing answering is often not a complex one, not worth bothering Richard with (and wasting a couple of months on).

Well done everyone involved!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:40 am