Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+14
Stuart Bailey
Richard D. Watts
Kingmaker
Basileus
Frank
The Hessian
Ardagor
Regor
Deacon
jamesbond007
baggins
Goldstar
tek_604
count-de-monet
18 posters

G7 - France vs. England

G7 - France vs. England - Page 42 Empty Re: G7 - France vs. England

Post by Guest Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:52 am

Deacon wrote:
    I'm actually happy, if terrified, about the transition.

Don't be terrified. As Oliver Cromwell said: “no one rises so high as he who knows not whither he is going.”

Deacon wrote:
    To say that I loathed my job would be an understatement. After the president of the company screamed at me for 10 minutes for doing something completely normal that I'd done many times before, I asked for, and was granted, a separation package.

It never ceases to amaze me that too many executives insist on behaving like little dictators. I don't know if this helps, but (having repeatedly been in similar situations) one thing I came to realise is that the trouble with such self-appointed monarchs goes much deeper than the effect on their own behaviour. Those who excuse or endorse systems of absolute power claim it fails merely due to the individual at the top: if the king is up to the job and rules wisely then the kingdom prospers. In their view the King becomes a hero figure who sacrifices his life for his country, taking on the burden of making decisions for others and by virtue of this moral superiority demands their obedience. However, the root problem is nothing to do with the king, but that it encourages his underlings to become courtiers. They start off trying to ingratiate themselves, fawning and grovelling, and very soon they are hiding things from him or deliberately lying to protect their own position or their image in front of their colleagues. This happens in every institution at some time in its history. Time and again professionals in organisations are compromised if they want to keep their job. The best just leave. And we wonder why institutions are failing the world?

I once worked for a company where during the 18 months I was there we had 150% turnover of staff at all levels! When my time came to get the bullet there were only 4 people there who had been with the business longer than me! You will not be surprised to learn that the company went bust a year later.

There may not be a perfect job out there, but I hope you avoid another situation like the one you have just left.

Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 458
    Registration date : 2011-07-01

Post by Basileus Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:49 pm

Sorry to see Deacon go. You played a good hand with what was a difficult position in G7. The Jacobean Restoration in England was where the money would have gone if there was a Glory of Kings booky. Where does that leave England and the Jacobean Restoration now.

And English diplomacy against Spain? There goes the last of the island colonies!Cornwall as a future province of the Spanish Kingdom?

The Russian/Swedish conflict is one that fascinates me. A set piece battle between the two armies would be worthwhile looking forward to.

I was quite pleased with how the war in France went. A town retaken, a stronger position at Chalons sur Marne and French counter attacks rebuffed. The Dutch picked up a French colony and are enhancing their foothold in France. By rights there should be a cessation to fighting on land next month with only naval conflict in the period up to the end of November whilst the peace talks progress.
    What do other players think the truce should mean for the position around Chalons. Clearly I shouldnt lob any mortar shells into the town or storm it, even though I hold the breach. So I think in broad terms instructions not to issue the "besiege" order. But equally does a truce allow the French to re supply, move through my siege lines, move troops in and out of Chalons? I think probabaly not. So does that mean I should/could "blockade" Chalons? What do people think?
    Needless to say, I will ask Richard with my next orders as to what is acceptable, but I would be interested in peoples views as to what counts as being within a recognised truce? The new rules will be interesting with regard to how these peace talks go and the resulting treaty.
    Oh, if only I had captured Louis at Chalons Wink
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2565
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:49 am

Have recieved a copy of the August 1706 La Gloire du Roi and for non G7 players here is the news in brief:

1) Big bad Lou is back ! Faced with the prospect of being blown to bits by Austrian Cannon big Lou seems to have shaken of his nasty case of the pox, dismissed that whimp son of his and decided to fight. He is still trapped in Chalons-sur-Marne but at least reinforcements are on the way with the French Army of occupation heading out of England and home at speed.

2) In theory the war could be settled at the Yorktown talks which still seem to be going ahead as planned but with Big Lou back and his whimp son who sent the French delegation downgraded to the role of a junior commander of Scouts (and getting defeated at Orleans) does the French delegation actually have any authority ??????? The Persian allies of the Hapsburgs certainly seem to think its all over since they have set free captured passengers and mail in Ormuz but I personally would not be so certain.

3) The Dutch have taken Cambrai & La Ravardiere but its still not sure what their war objectives actually are. If its to get the French out of England the plan seems to have worked. But if its to make sure the Stadtholder keeps his British Thrones they probably need more troops in Britain and less in France.

4) Great Northern War continues with Russians taking Riga and getting the best of the Propaganda War in Poland. But they have also sadly lost the Czar good friend the Prince of Moldavia who passed away this month. The loss of this most pro Russian of the Ottoman leaders must make the Russians less sure of their Southern border.

5) The King of Spain was talked out of starting a war with Enland over his violated Embassy and arrested ships. Since his advisors seem to think that a war with England over a "late and unlamented French pilot (think this should read pirate?) and arsonist" is kind of dumb. King James, the Duke of Norfolk, The Sons of liberty and the HWIC all seem to have got the same letter & treaty to clarify Spains position which was asked for last month by the Duc de Norfolk. Pity the good Duc could not be bothered to wait and attacked a Spanish Port instead since in current circumstances the offer of the Queen of Spain's sister, £1M Dowry plus Grain to sort out the bad harvest might have won favour in some Royal & Merchant circles.

Poor Charles Hapsburg.......he needs to help his dear old Dad now big bad Lou is back and the Duc de Norfolk has thrown his sister in law, £1M quid and a lot of grain back in his face. Sad

6) The Duc de Norfolk also seems to have burnt down 10% of London so he can blame it on his political opponents and has arrested 300 of them for the fire in a operation which either shows the Duc's troops as very effecient or pre-warned about the fire. The House of Lords seems to accept the former while the Commons clearly think the destruction of a large part of the English Capital and the whole attempt to whip up "War Mania" V Spain are the actions of desperate men. The Duc de Norfolk and the Whigs have now lost their majority in the Commons to John Henry & the Tory Party with no less than 47 Whig Members of Parliament defecting to the Tory Party.

Other than the above not much else to report.....some stuff in the America's and the Grand Vizier if offering £10 per ton for grain which shows just how much the Grand Old Duc de Norfolk threw back in the face of the King of Spain.
    count-de-monet
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 379
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by count-de-monet Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:20 am

"The Russian/Swedish conflict is one that fascinates me. A set piece battle between the two armies would be worthwhile looking forward to"

are you kidding ? I dont even have muskets that are any good ! Apart from the nutcase Streltsy fanatics, who would pick a fight with just about anyone and not worry about weapons it would be too one-sided for me Very Happy
    Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Basileus Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:42 pm

You'll be fine Count de Monet. Like the real Russians at the time, you can lose lots of battles whilst you improve your tactics and weapons. You can lose at least four or five battles before you even notice it. For the poor Swedes, they can only lose once, and then they are done for if they lose the army as well.
    You must have tons of recruits and lots of money, loads of land and towns. Get yourself some good muskets from the Spanish.

Oh, just remembered, we are still officially at war! You might not want to take any notice of me then.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:06 am

Basileus wrote:Sorry to see Deacon go. You played a good hand with what was a difficult position in G7. The Jacobean Restoration in England was where the money would have gone if there was a Glory of Kings booky. Where does that leave England and the Jacobean Restoration now.

And English diplomacy against Spain? There goes the last of the island colonies!Cornwall as a future province of the Spanish Kingdom?

The Russian/Swedish conflict is one that fascinates me. A set piece battle between the two armies would be worthwhile looking forward to.

I was quite pleased with how the war in France went. A town retaken, a stronger position at Chalons sur Marne and French counter attacks rebuffed. The Dutch picked up a French colony and are enhancing their foothold in France. By rights there should be a cessation to fighting on land next month with only naval conflict in the period up to the end of November whilst the peace talks progress.
    What do other players think the truce should mean for the position around Chalons. Clearly I shouldnt lob any mortar shells into the town or storm it, even though I hold the breach. So I think in broad terms instructions not to issue the "besiege" order. But equally does a truce allow the French to re supply, move through my siege lines, move troops in and out of Chalons? I think probabaly not. So does that mean I should/could "blockade" Chalons? What do people think?
    Needless to say, I will ask Richard with my next orders as to what is acceptable, but I would be interested in peoples views as to what counts as being within a recognised truce? The new rules will be interesting with regard to how these peace talks go and the resulting treaty.
    Oh, if only I had captured Louis at Chalons Wink

Ref the Austrian cease fire offer my view is that the French Govt agreed to send someone to the peace talks in Yorktown but never agreed to a cease fire and the two should be seen has seperate. For instance in 1648 the fighting went on right up to the final peace agreement.

The French may want to explore the Peace talks but they may not wish to give hostile troops time to dig in on French territory!

However in view of the position at Chalons etc the new Government of France may wish to accept your cease fire offer (are they even aware of the offer?) so you should send a messenger to King Louis at the very start of the month and give French the option again.

The nornal practice in such circumstances is to allow the movement of Civilians, wounded and food to replace the amount consumed across your siege lines but not military supplies or reinforcements. Not sure if Louis counts as military or civil?

The historic disputes used to occur over taking advantage of a truce to carry out work on the attackers siege lines or the defences. As a rule of thumb it seems both sides would do it and claim it was in reply to truce violations by the other side.
    Ardagor
    Ardagor
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 427

Post by Ardagor Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:11 pm

The title seems to be a bit wrong now, as France and England appear to be allies against the Alliance of Austria, Spain and the UDP. Certainly no sign that any kind of peace is in the immediate future.

And yes, France is now at war with Spain and the Spanish army is advancing.

Regor
    Regor
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 349
    Registration date : 2010-02-15

Post by Regor Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:44 pm

I have just two words to say "Bloody Hell!" and it don't get much better than that! Stuart - your views as soon as possible. Smile

Post by Guest Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:23 pm

But which England is France allied with now? I'm confused Question
    Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Basileus Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:38 pm

Good point Jason, which England? A few turns ago it was possible to count four or three English factions (possibly even 5). I am hoping my turn is in tomorrows post. Hurrah for the Spanish (forgive me, I am biased), however as Austria I didnt know I was at war with England, when did that happen I wonder?

Post by Guest Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:04 pm

I'm not sure how Austria is at war with England, unless King James declared war on you?

Even more confusing is I think King James is about to marry a Spaniard!
    Ardagor
    Ardagor
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Ardagor Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:10 pm

England is only at war with Spain I think, France is at war with everyone.

France do not approve at all of any state marriage between King James and the Spanish Princess, dishonourable is the word they use.

Post by Guest Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:19 pm

Thanks Ardagor, think I need to wait to the weekend and read the paper when more awake...

On a separate note, is it my imagination or has turn around time picked up a bit?
    Ardagor
    Ardagor
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Ardagor Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:30 pm

The deadline for games are as follows

6 12th December

3 13th December

7 14th December

So probably just to get all turns in before the Christmas post chaos slows things down and then the games can start in January again after a long holiday.
    The Hessian
    Lord
    Lord

Number of posts : 85
    Registration date : 2010-09-28

Post by The Hessian Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:27 pm

That certainly has now ruined the neighbourhood! TRKL has returned to France affraid ! His totally unique style of diplomacy shines through the darkness of time! The Dark one pig has returned. Raise the Blod Flag as it shall be fight to the death and no quarter!! cherry
    Damn and just when the game was getting enjoyable. Sleep
    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition boys!! Laughing

Post by Guest Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:36 pm

Oh what nonsense Hessian...what with the Hobbit film coming out on 13th, Smaug has some spare time on his hand and has decided to give the game a go...just wait until next turn and suddenly Louis' inner dragon appears on the battlefield drunken
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:09 pm

Basileus wrote:Good point Jason, which England? A few turns ago it was possible to count four or three English factions (possibly even 5). I am hoping my turn is in tomorrows post. Hurrah for the Spanish (forgive me, I am biased), however as Austria I didnt know I was at war with England, when did that happen I wonder?

Gosh.....Austria seems to have a problem with treaties but if you have one with your son (Possible or not ????) it may just just have been triggered when:

a) The English seized all those Spanish ships
    b) Invaded the Spanish Embassy in London
    c) Blasted a Spanish Port

At least you are in good company since the Pope, Genoa, Venice, Portugal and all the other Knights of St George would seem to be in the same boat.

The question now is can Ferrets Swim? scratch
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:48 pm

Ardagor wrote:England is only at war with Spain I think, France is at war with everyone.

France do not approve at all of any state marriage between King James and the Spanish Princess, dishonourable is the word they use.

I agree 100% with the French........The elder Spanish Princess is only about three or four years old. I know the House of Austria likes its weddings but that is just wrong.

Have not recieved my copy of Glori du Roi but I think King James was actually considering the Queen of Spain sister who is an Italian Comtessa (funny how often people end up marrying someone like their Mum on the basis that Mary of Modena is his Mum and not a warming pan).

Its a tricky one for Le Duc de Norfolk since clearly James Stuart needs to marry someone and produce a heir if the Catholic restoration is to be established. So if he talks wee Jimie off the Italian bird he is going to have to come up with an alternative sharpish and one which a half Italian Scot is going to like a much as an Italian Female and a £1,000,000 quid.

I guess we could very well end up with another Howard Queen of England.......pity about the first one.
    The Hessian
    Lord
    Lord

Number of posts : 85
    Registration date : 2010-09-28

Post by The Hessian Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:54 am

Smaugs columns soundly repulsed by Austrian line volleys!! Excellent!

English catholic king wanting virginal spanish crumpet, age is so wrong!!!

Peace be damned as Smaug will never surrender(unless it is the fine print and even then it will be wrong ) Anybody short of ammunition as this will be a slaughterfest in central france!
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:36 pm

Is there a new jacobite player?

Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Basileus Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:15 pm

I am not certain if the treaty between Austria and Spain is still running, probably so. But Austria has always been more concerned about doing the right thing, and standing by Spain would be the right thing. But I dont think that means Austria or even Spain would be at war with England. Rather, helping in a police action against rogue Jacobin English elements. Austria still hasnt recognised any other King of England than William of Orange.
    Anyway we will see what happens. I am still waiting for my turn by postal delivery Crying or Very sad , thats what comes of living in the land of snow and sheep (Wales).

Post by Guest Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:38 pm

Wales-where Men are Men and the sheep are scared...
    Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Basileus Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:38 pm

Post just turned up, but Jason, the higher up you go up into the hills and mountains you reach a point where the men are scared of the sheep. The mountain sheep are tough buggers. When riding along the Kerry Ridgeway I got chased whilst on horseback by a gang of scarry mountain sheep! Shocked
    That being said, I have been chased by pigs whilst on horseback on the New Forest. Hmmm, possibly there is a theme here.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:40 pm

Post has now showed up and for non players who like to watch the odd goings on in G7 (while thanking their lucky stars that their games are saner) here are the highlights:

1) France has said it will be willing to settle the Franco-Hapsburg/Dutch War at the Yorktown Talks but will only be talking to the Austrians. While the other Hapsburgs can not object to being represented by the Head of the family what an insult to the Dutch! Do French diplomats hope to split the Dutch & Hapsburgs in the same way as they split the Anglo-Dutch alliance Suspect ?

In efforts to improve their position at the Yorktown talks -

2) Hapsburg (and Moldavian?) troops have crossed the Franco-Spanish frontier. And we have had our first war crime in Europe itself when the Moldavian Cavalry poured 500 bottles of Chateau Latour into a mash for their horses. God war is hell!

3) The French declined offers of a cease fire while the talks go on and in effort to improve their position attempted to break "Big Lou" out of Chalons-sur-Mare sending in four attacks with cold steel against Eugene lines which. The French did recapture the breach but all other attacks wilted in the face of Austrian fire power.

4) The Dutch are carrying out repairs at Cambrai, which is jolly nice of them if the Yorktown talks restore it to France.

Thus we have an odd position - the war could be over and terms settled at Yorktown prior to the largest battle of the whole war.

other than that not a lot to report other than

5) Czar in mourning over the death of the Hopsdar Prince of Moldavia so great Nortern War on hold.

6) England........Oh my God the English have actually agreed something with a Whig proposed Act for the "Establishment of the Reverence of England" being passed by both the Lords and the Tory Dominated House of Commons.

It is not clear if the English have agreed who is king with the Duke of Norfolk and the Whigs saying its King James Stuart due to "normal" rules of succession while John Henry and the Tories say the 1680's act of Succession was never revoked (only the 1690's anti Catholic legislation) so its King William.

Its even less clear who is going to be Queen. King James with the support of the HWIC faction wanted a Catholic Italian bride but the Prime Minister who some are calling Le Duc de Norfolk is violently against this since it would annoy the French. Also it seems that Norfolk wants James as a "puppet" of the Howards and the Nobility - not getting idea's of his own! Norfolk has yet to say who he wants as Queen.

John Henry has also yet to say who he wants as Queen. Perhaps he hopes for James to die without issue allowing the Protestant Queen Anne to succeed her half Brother. Princess Anne best Friend since childhood is Sarah Churchill the widow of the man Norfolk killed in a daul.

If James Stuart goes the same way as his Dad...... John Henry has Norfolk on toast.

Post by Guest Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:40 pm

Basileus wrote:Post just turned up, but Jason, the higher up you go up into the hills and mountains you reach a point where the men are scared of the sheep. The mountain sheep are tough buggers. When riding along the Kerry Ridgeway I got chased whilst on horseback by a gang of scarry mountain sheep! Shocked
    That being said, I have been chased by pigs whilst on horseback on the New Forest. Hmmm, possibly there is a theme here.

Afraid 3 years in Carmarthen gave me more than enough experience of Welsh sheep...Highland Sheep are scarier! Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:41 pm