Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

Glory Info in the National Museum of Scotland

Glory Info in the National Museum of Scotland Empty Glory Info in the National Museum of Scotland

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:31 pm

Just back from one of my regular visits to Edinburgh and went in to the National Museum of Scotland. I do on every visit but usually focus on the pre/early history gallery (more my area of specialty) but this time decided to spend some time in the bits that cover Glory's period.

There are two galleries that are of interest for the game. The first is "Kingdom of the Scots", which covers from about 1000AD to 1699, so its only the later part of this gallery that is of interest for the game. It helps give a good understanding of Scotland as the Stuarts are deposed and highlights some of the advantages and tensions of the 'dual monarchy' of England and Scotland. It also has a small section on the Darien scheme, Scotland's attempt to establish a colony in the Americas. It explains why it was a good idea (location good for trade...in theory) and why it wasn't a great idea (location not healthy, hostility of Spain and the reluctance of English colonies to aid the Scots incase Spain took it out on them). I did know the colony had effectively been blockaded into surrender by Spain but I didn't realise that the final surrender took place in April 1700...so technically within the game time...

"Scotland Transformed" deals with Scotland from 1700 onwards, with a small bit of looking back to the 1690s. It had information on the Bank of Scotland (established in the 1690s and producing bank notes) as well as banking generally in Scotland in the early 1700s. There is a 6 pdr cannonarde on display (much smaller than I expected) and a Newcomen Engine (still used into the 20th C). The gallery also looks at the advances Scotland achieved in the early 1700s and also the darker side-I had not realised that serfdom was not abolished in Scotland until 1799 and that in the 18th C many miners in Scotland were actually serfs tied to one mine. They also have the only tartan suit surviving from before 1750 on display, a gift to an English Jacobite on his visit to Edinburgh.

All in all a good source for information either if you were playing Scotland or just generally on the early 18th Century

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 6:26 am