Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+7
The Revenant
J Flower
Ardagor
Regor
Basileus
Deacon
Stuart Bailey
11 posters

France V The Hapsburgs (G7)

Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2568
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

France V The Hapsburgs (G7) - Page 5 Empty Re: France V The Hapsburgs (G7)

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:25 pm

Regor wrote:Stuart, stick to irony, poetry is not your strong suit. Yes its a curious time. I hope to  make sense of european politics one day.

I really don't understand how France got so "burned" in the past 2 years. Surely its time for a renaissance. Yes I understand the Spain has simply kept her powder dry and moved forward but even the most dense princeling must see a stable France as a buffer against their compatriots aggressions?

So if anyone in Versailles is listening - get a grip.Exclamation sunny 

Spain and Portugal evidence of my statement above.

Interesting Russo-Swede war stories; I'd love to see the returns of both sides for the same month - any month indeed. Please??? Wink 

What is happening in Austria and with the Ottomans?

And England - don't go there.

Africa is quiet....... too quiet.....yet America seems to be the place to visit. Funny? Its weird as India is there................

Ah well too many questions where are the answers?France V The Hapsburgs (G7) - Page 5 3497527849 

And what is wrong with my poety? France V The Hapsburgs (G7) - Page 5 3465686019 

Actually the new government of Portugal confirming its alignment with the League of St George ie The Pope, Genoa, Venice, Malta & the Pope rather than joining an anti Hapsburg pro French Alliance seems fairly logical to me.

The new French Government and its staying power is still fairly unknown. In contrast the Government of Spain may be a bit odd but it has lasted a long time and has generally been "friendly" if not poked with a sharp stick (Ok I know the French, Blackbeard and the Navajo might not agree).

If I was running Portugal (which I am not) my concern about joining the French would be ........what happens if France does not last very long........and I am left to face a Charles Von Hapsburg and his merry crew on my own?

Clearly this is a problem for French Diplomat's in a number of area's and will probably only be solved with steady diplomacy over a period of time.

The Ottomans would seem to be a good example of this.......in theory you would have though the Ottomans would love to be courted by French Diplomacy and keen on a Ottoman/Bourbon alliance against the Hapsburgs .......but for reasons unknown our Ottomans in G7 all seem to be really "nice" and "civil" and not the bloody minded Warlords and Slavers found in other games.

While others would no doubt dream of loot, slaves, plunder and burning Vienna to the ground I think ours are seeing visions of France going NPC, Persia which seems to have close relations with the Hapsburgs doing something nasty in the East and in the West having to face an annoyed Emperor while his second son wraps himself in a banner blessed by the Pope and draws the sword of the Cid.

Thus the job of French Diplomacy would seem to be to convince prospective allies that the new French Govt has staying power and they will not be abandoned to face a Large German who seems to think it is still the C16. Where is Suleyman Osman when you need one?
    count-de-monet
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 379
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by count-de-monet Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:08 am

Regor - I think all here know I play the Russian position in this game....what exactly are you looking for in terms of information I am seeing ?
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:37 pm

count-de-monet wrote:Regor - I think all here know I play the Russian position in this game....what exactly are you looking for in terms of information I am seeing ?
    Is Regor a Swedish name by any chance?Suspect 

In which case he wants to know a) The size and location of Russian forces b) Their sickness levels and c) Their future plans?Very Happy 
    The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 489
    Registration date : 2008-08-03

Post by The Revenant Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:38 pm

Anyone got any ideas (however fanciful) about what's going on with the Di Llosa thing in London this month (November)?

Post by Guest Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:10 pm

It's odd, isn't it? Could it simply be the Spanish are fearful of any government in London that is even vaguely Pro-French?
    The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 489
    Registration date : 2008-08-03

Post by The Revenant Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:54 pm

Not that I have a swashbuckling interest in this or anything... but, ahem, may have just made an(other) error of judgement...
    Regor
    Regor
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 350
    Registration date : 2010-02-15

Post by Regor Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:43 am

Stuart Bailey wrote:
    count-de-monet wrote:Regor - I think all here know I play the Russian position in this game....what exactly are you looking for in terms of information I am seeing ?
    Is Regor a Swedish name by any chance?Suspect 

In which case he wants to know a) The size and location of Russian forces b) Their sickness levels and c) Their future plans?Very Happy 
    Sadly no Regor is NOT Swedish but there is a connection. And No the Swedes nor Russians have any formal contact with me.
    Regor
    Regor
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Regor Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:05 am

jimbotten wrote:Not that I have a swashbuckling interest in this or anything... but, ahem, may have just made an(other) error of judgement...
    Ha ha ha - you may join me on the 'naughty step' once again I have completely mucked up my turn. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

On a lighter note: London. My take is [a] that England is the 'sick man of Europe' and there are still spies and agents from France, Spain, SoL, yada yada yada across London who are intent on mischief. scratch 

OR

[b] an idiot ordered Catholic's and Spanish chaps to boot to encourage the further break up of England. Perhaps at the same time as Defoe tried the same trick! ? Suspect 

Anyhow what a right royal "Carry on" it remains king jocolor 

Post by Guest Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:07 am

jimbotten wrote:Not that I have a swashbuckling interest in this or anything... but, ahem, may have just made an(other) error of judgement...
    You mean setting up the Colonial King James Appreciation Society? Wink

Though thinking more...maybe the Spanish hope to keep England divided so they can pick up some of its trade and colonial territory, combined with a desire not to see a pro-France English government?
    Regor
    Regor
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Regor Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:10 am

Jason wrote:
    You mean setting up the Colonial King James Appreciation Society? Wink

Though thinking more...maybe the Spanish hope to keep England divided so they can pick up some of its trade and colonial territory, combined with a desire not to see a pro-France English government?  
    I hear there are a LOT of Orangists slopping about the colonies at present but can the UDP capitalise on that?

Now your Spanish premise sounds far more likely!
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:02 pm

The Nov 1707 issue of Gloire du Roi has shown up and for non players of G7 here are the highlights:

1) The HWIC who's board of director's seem to fancy themselves for posts in King Williams new government have been very busy lobbying in England & the Colonies. Sadly their hard work for King William was rather underminned by the fact that as a multi national trading company many of their men like Di Llosa are Spanish or other foreign types.

- Some people have wondered if the Spanish Int Services are behind this campaign. I find this unlikely since if they were involved the proganda campaign would probably be better run.

- The current situation with the British Empire is that King William controls Scotland, King James and his Jacobites control England. But who the hell controls Ireland, British colonies in the America's, Africa and India?

- The landing of the Dutch Army to spearhead the restoration of King William and what happens next is awaited with interest.

2) In the Holy Roman Empire the Bavarian Army has marched into Hanover putting themselves between the Prussian Corp of Obervation in Rheinberg and Berlin. Legal rows continue over Minden continue but the main issue in the HRE would seem to be the belief in Vienna & Munich that the Prussians are a Franco-Russian 5th column.

3) Backing up this view is that the fact that Prussian ships seem to have joined in the Russian war against the king of Sweden........who is a fellow Prince of the Empire.

4) Nothing much to report from the GNW. Following failed attempt to retake Riga the Swedes seem to retired into winter quarters at Pernau while their garrison in the Pskov Kremlin etc continue to hold their positions.

- The Czar continues his diplomatic campaign in Poland, Prussia and with the Orthodox Church in the Ottoman Empire to isolate Sweden.

- The only possible problems with the Czar's master plan would be if the Hapsburgs turn on his Prussian ally or if the Dutch etc get fed up with Russian and Prussian yacht squadrons messing with their Baltic Trade and start sinking them to show the difference between real sailors and boat serfs.

5) In the America's the Creek & the Chickasaw are being courted by Spain and the locals in Yorktown are still getting wound up about a French army believed to be on route. French still to show up!

Post by Guest Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:51 pm

What is it about the Prussians in Glory and their desire to have yacht clubs...
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:55 pm

The other non naval powers which always seem in a rush to build a navy in Glory du Roi are Persia, China and Russia.

But you hardly ever see a major Polish or Austrian fleet in game.

Wonder why this is? And has anyone seen an Austrian Naval build up?

In G7 I guess the Emperor can leave the major development of Hapsburg Naval power to his 2nd son but I hope the Grand Admiral of Austria gets to replace his lost galley and the Austrian Navy is once again restored to the "famous four" or is that the "frantic four" when trying to dodge 100 French Lineships?

Post by Guest Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:48 pm

Good point on the non-naval powers. I guess with Russia it's partly because they did (historically) start to build up their fleet around 1700 onwards?

I can't speak for Persia...but in regards China, for me the need for a navy is partly defensive-long coastline and one historically that was prone to pirate activity...and I'm not sure that following the historical example (basically abandoning the coast areas most prone to piracy) is acceptable.

Unless you are going to play China as a 'closed country', I think a navy is essential if you want to be able to expand China's influence...much easy for China to send a fleet than march an army to persuade a neighbour (well...ok, easier to send the army to Tibet I guess Very Happy) and much easier to keep those naughty Barbarians from expanding in you back yard too.

Also, without getting all "1421" Wink China did have a long naval heritage (one you could argue it is trying to recover at the moment) so, for me when playing the empire, I'm more about trying to restart an old tradition of marine activity than anything else...
    count-de-monet
    Duke
    Duke

Post by count-de-monet Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:37 pm

hi guys, this is being a bit lazy (but dont have access to my game files at the moment). I have received correspodence suggesting the Swedes have offered a peace proposal to end the Great Northern War.

Has this appeared in the newspaper and which month ? What was the offer ?

Thanks in advance.

Post by Guest Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:22 pm

I've very quickly gone through the papers for 1707 and can't see any reference to Swedish peace proposals
    count-de-monet
    Duke
    Duke

Post by count-de-monet Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:21 pm

thanks for looking Jason and responding.

I didnt think I missed it in the newspapers (and no letter) but a near death experience in the Moscow River had me doubting myself....although of course all this does is 1) prove vodka IS the answer to every question and 2) I am invincible mwah hahaha
    Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 458
    Registration date : 2011-07-01

Post by Basileus Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:57 pm

I thought that the Swedes offered peace to Russia on the term of returning to the the pre war situation. Now I may have been told that and it might not have any truth in it at all. Thats diplomacy for you. If I misunderstood - apologies.
    The Austrian navy will probabaly stay at its current level of three galleys rather than return to full strength of four. It probably has just as significant a deterrent effect  Very Happy 
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:15 pm

January 1708 issue of Gloire du Roi has now arrived and for non G7 players here are the highlights............not that many and distinct lack of blood shed........cries of boring, boring bring back RKL etc.

1) In a terrible warning against the perils of mixing Swimming with Vodka......Pyotr Tolstoy did drown and the Czar & the Great Patriarch nearly drowned when swimming in the Moscow River. After this display of panic and Russian inability on the water one wonders what will happen if the new Russian Navy (which is currently blockadeing Swedens Baltic Provinces and annoying the Dutch, HWIC and Swedish Merchants) ever has to fight.

2) The Dutch & the HWIC may however be a bit busy with events in England, Scotland and the America's to show the Russian Landlubbers up. Not really sure what the hell is going on but to say King James grip on the People's Republic of Yorkshire & the Heavenly Kingdom of New York is looking shaky is an understatment.

3) The Poles have said they are not getting involved with the Austro-Russian War which is just as well since nither are the Russians or the Austrians! If nither side are willing to cross Polish territory it looks like the Russians are going to have to sail into the Adriatic to fight this war but to date they have been detered by the famous three galleys of the Austrian Navy pirat 

4) In the HRE it seems like peace has broken out with Minden all set to become a free city. However someone may have Kidnapped the Austrian Chancellor and the Austrians are reviewing their Military tactics in the light of war time experience. While the Elector of Bavaria seems to have upset the Elector of Hanover.

5) In the America's the French Army/Navy believed to be on route to Yorktown to help King James keep control over his (revolting?) colonies seems to have vanished - recalled? lost at Sea? No one seems to know. Suspect Meanwhile Spain is playing its own parallel game of Wedding Planning and the development of a Latino Society which seems to be slowly creeping North.

King James is not yet Wed, England and its American Colonies lack a Queen and a heir but the inside back page of the Gloire reads like the Mexico City version of Tatler.

6) In Rome the Jusuits want to reach out to the heathen before they perish. Assume this means a Jusuit Mission in Moscow preaching about the evils of the demon drink? Very Happy 

Post by Guest Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:41 pm

Yorkshire is revolting! Some things never change Very Happy

And it looks like the bagpipes won't be marching south...shame, maybe the Scots could have offered 'protection' to the Peoples Republic of Yorkshire...

Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:33 am

Yeah, I think James as an unplayed position can't hold. I understand why, but I often think it's unfortunate that Richard doesn't play some of the unplayed nations more actively, because they fall so far behind in games that picking them up later they can't compete.

I think I mentioned elsewhere I picked up the papacy in game 3 in 1736. My economy was crappy. My national debt was 3x the national income, and I had zero inventions. NOthing. nada.

I just roleplayed and learned things (and screwed it up a bit more!), but other than the bully pulpit that the papacy offered it wasn't really capable of being relevant on the world stage.

Here I think the problem is that James has to actually do things to consolidate control. Just sitting around with a thumb up his bum as a non-played position isn't ever going to get the job done, and so you end up with a foregone conclusion when it would be much better for the game if James acted and the matter remained in doubt.

Oh well.

Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:41 pm

I dont think England has suffered in G7 from shortage of players and lack of development.

Rather its problem has been too many active players........most of whom do not get on.

To date we have had Blackbeard, The Sons of Liberty, The HWIC and various Williamite & Jacobite Governments in London. Some of which have flipped even switched their position 180 degree's.

If anyone wants to take on the English Government in G7 I suspect its still a very good position in terms of cash, resources and development but with a really low honour score.

A score not helped by the French who have lumbered you with the mill stone of a Catholic King. Scotland still has the original Protestant King.

Basically this is a position crying out for a 1st Minister who likes a challenge or alternatively does not mind a bit of High Treason.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:28 am

I was talking about James. He's a different position than England, and unplayed, is going to end up dead sooner or later and England will slide back to its anti-catholic ways. If James were played, England might end up in a different place.

I do think England in g7 would be an interesting challenge. I think it might be fun to ask Richard for a republican position, and try to advocate the overthrow of the monarchy and the establishment of a "pure" democracy without the king. Maybe you could play that as England and just try to do away with the king.

The problem is that if you take william, the king has the right, as I understand it, to set foreign policy. As the english player, I wouldn't be too keen on a foreign king doing that.
    MarkTurner26
    MarkTurner26
    Marquess
    Marquess

Number of posts : 260
    Registration date : 2012-11-03

Post by MarkTurner26 Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:41 am

Stuart Bailey wrote:I dont think England has suffered in G7 from shortage of players and lack of development.

Rather its problem has been too many active players........most of whom do not get on.

To date we have had Blackbeard, The Sons of Liberty, The HWIC and various Williamite & Jacobite Governments in London.  Some of which have flipped even switched their position 180 degree's.

If anyone wants to take on the English Government in G7 I suspect its still a very good position in terms of cash, resources and development but with a really low honour score.

A score not helped by the French who have lumbered you with the mill stone of a Catholic King.  Scotland still has the original Protestant King.

Basically this is a position crying out for a 1st Minister who likes a challenge or alternatively does not mind a bit of High Treason.

Did I hear my name called, my name isn't Mark "I like a challenge" Turner for nothing.
    Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 458
    Registration date : 2011-07-01

Post by Basileus Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:12 am

One of the things to remember about England in game 7 is that a big European war was fought over its fate. The outcome of which was that France replaced William on the throne with James but in turn was obliged after losing the war in Europe to renounce miltary, economic and espionage support to the Jacobite crown in England for a three year period. This is one of the reasons why England is so exposed.
    Jacobite Englands other potential ally in Europe, Spain, is going to be conscious that the England of the Stuarts has been a French poodle. Marrigage offers came from the Spanish but were turned down in the face of the last English government seeming to take an anti Spanish position.
    The Dutch shouldn't be forgotten about in all this.
    Mark I would wish you well if you take on the challenge - you possibly have up to three options in England that I am aware of, and probably more. Good luck if you go for it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 2:56 am