Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+4
Hapsburg
Deacon
count-de-monet
Kingmaker
8 posters

Game 3

Ardagor
    Ardagor
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 427
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Game 3 - Page 2 Empty Re: Game 3

Post by Ardagor Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:59 pm

Game 6 was my favorite as well but I messed up the economy so bad I was forced to quit in the end. First time this have happened, I have dropped positions before after loosing interest but not one I did enjoy.
    count-de-monet
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 379

Post by count-de-monet Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:47 am

I know the thread is moving away from its title, but I think G6 has been particularly hard in terms of economic and financial performance. My own position has equally been destroyed (to be fair, to a degree to some of my own actions). I have managed to hang on in there. Fingers crossed I am coming out "the other side" and its now improving.

Jason, no letter received yet but I shall await the next turn.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2571
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:39 pm

count-de-monet wrote:The news of the French declaration of war was a BIG surprise I must admit !!  I had been expecting it from Spain but not France.

Dont worry about lack of correspondence.  This game is a bit of a "closed shop" to new players.  I have never succeeded in generating a diplomatic flow with other players!

So nothing like G2 were not answering letters esp those sent from the Holy Roman Emperor and the Sultan can be classed as as close to a declaration of war.

Post by Guest Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:05 pm

Surely in G2 looking at the Sultan in an odd way is a declaration of war?
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:30 pm

Jason wrote:Surely in G2 looking at the Sultan in an odd way is a declaration of war?

I do not think we have had a declaration of war for looking at the Sultan in a odd way - so far the most hard core Ottoman declarations of war in G2 include:

1) The Sultanate attacking a new Rumelian Player on his first turn for the prior Beys failure to answer letters! I was that attacked Rumelian and I did finally get a royal pardon.

2) The Sultan ordering a declaration of war against the rebel Bey of Moldovia for laughing at him............probably fair to mention the Bey was also a rebel who had taken over Wallachia & Bulgaria and was allied to the Poles.

3) A declaration of War on Venice following the assassination of the Grand Vizier............general view now is that the Venetians were not actually responsible for his crime and it was probably the Bey of Egypt who ordered the assassins.............at the time the Ottomans did not have a clue who did it but the Doge was clearly a bad lot and it might have been him.

4) The attack on a new Doge of Venice who a) Failed to answer a letter and b) called his character "The hammer of the Turks".........in G2 if you are going to say things like that you should really mean them!

Sadly in G2 the days of Jassy when the Sultan, Grand Vizier and the Bey of Egypt's son showed up on the same battlefield and broke the Polish Cavalry are long gone. The Empire is a semi oriental backwater over shadowed by the great powers of Prussia, Russia , France & England. But at least in G2 its not run by large ladies and pastry cook's!!!!!
    Ardagor
    Ardagor
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Ardagor Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:54 pm

Interesting development in the war between France and Americas Republic.

England have always maintained a strict neutrality in the war and warned everyone involved repeatedly that causing trouble for English trade would have consequences.

The English goverment declared a few months ago that they wanted to see the end of the war due to it`s impact on English trade and offered the use of Hampton Court Palace for peace talks.

The Republic immediately agreed to this proposal of course, the French response was to bombard Boston the following month, Causing quite a bit of destruction and sinking a dozen American liners. Perhaps more important, 3 English merchantmen was also sunk in the attack.

I can only imagine the reaction in London to this. King Louis of France appear to have a quite active imagination as well as we saw a declaration from Louis this month in the newspaper that France would be prepared to start Peace talks at Hampton Court Palace in about 3 months time. This should be interesting.

Last edited by Ardagor on Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)

Post by Guest Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:14 pm

Very interesting...I seem to recall the England in G3 was always very touchy around honour and how he was treated so I suspect there'd be quite an angry outburst over the sunk liners...now if France hadn't also now agreed to peace talks I would half expected to see England declaring war on France because of it or making not too veiled threats of revenge
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:06 pm

Jason wrote:Very interesting...I seem to recall the England in G3 was always very touchy around honour and how he was treated so I suspect there'd be quite an angry outburst over the sunk liners...now if France hadn't also now agreed to peace talks I would half expected to see England declaring war on France because of it or making not too veiled threats of revenge

Yeah, super touchy. When I played the pope, I said I wouldn't hear his confession when he said he didn't regret anything, and he started attacking me for it. I finally had to excommunicate him to remind him that I wasn't some random king he was having an honour feud with...

Post by Guest Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:04 pm

Did he take notice? I wonder if it did him some good at home, can imagine a lot of the English being impressed at their king being excommunicated by the anti-Christ Wink

On the other hand, if you were one of his friends, he was incredibly loyal
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:27 am

No idea, I had to drop game 3 shortly thereafter for monetary reasons. I tried to be reasonable with him, but he seemed to think that the pope was there for his convenience.

He wasn't a very good catholic, in any case. He said he was catholic, but didn't actually do anything catholic, and in fact let his child be raised a protestant, so effectively passed the throne over to the protestants making sure he was the last catholic king of England.

Then he wanted to give his confession to the pope about everything he didn't regret. Then got enraged when the pope took a pass on hearing that confession.

At least that was my take when I was playing the papacy.
    Ardagor
    Ardagor
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Ardagor Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:06 pm

Deacon, I can confirm that James III notice being excommunicated. He wrote page after page in the paper until finally apologizing and the excommunication was finally lifted in April 1739. I can send the papers you do not have if you want to read it all.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:47 pm

Yeah, I'd actually be interested. As Pope, I tried to have a light hand with him, but he just wouldn't let it go. once it became public and he started attacking the papacy, I felt I needed to excommunicate him. If he'd kept his attacks to private letters, I could have just ignored it, but....
    Ardagor
    Ardagor
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Ardagor Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:53 pm

Deacon wrote:
    Yeah, I'd actually be interested.  As Pope, I tried to have a light hand with him, but he just wouldn't let it go.  once it became public and he started attacking the papacy, I felt I needed to excommunicate him.  If he'd kept his attacks to private letters, I could have just ignored it, but....

I would of course need your e-mail and the last paper you have available if you want these.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:45 pm

Thanks, a bit slow, but I've now read them all in detail, and have to laugh.

Richard certainly put the screws to James more than I would have (I wouldn't have interdicted England, since I think that just feeds the protestant idea of the tyranny of Rome, but I can't say Richard didn't have a point either.).

On the other hand, James seems to, even to the end, not really get what Benedict was upset about.

Since it's water under the bridge and I'm out, I'll say that James approached me about hearing his confession, which I thought could be some good roleplay. I asked him some questions, some that probably pricked him a bit, and he replied that he did not regret any of his actions and who was I to ask these questions? Nobody understood how difficult it was for him, blah, blah, blah. (Apparently the spiritual head of your church shouldn't ask you such questions, they should just pat you on the head and call you a good king.). As pope, hearing the king of a nation whine about how rough it was and how he had to sell his children down the river to ensure he could have his crown didn't much impress me. Had his answers been more nuanced and less defensive and insulting, it still might have gone somewhere interesting.

I then replied that I declined to hear his confession, since he had no regrets. As pope, I didn't care to sauve the conscience of a king who had manifestly abandoned his faith for temporal gain (letting his children be raised protestant to ensure his throne) and didn't want to express any doubt or regret about it. I, of course, knew that it wasn't fixable now, and didn't expect some miraculous change, but I wasn't going to just say that this was all ok. Being King doesn't give you a free pass on your sins in my book.

All this was private. James then got more angry and sent more attacking letters, which I replied to as properly in-character as I could, repeating that if he had no regrets, then he should speak to his own confessor. As Pope, I figured he would sort it out in purgatory if he couldn't sort it out before then.

Only when James boiled over into public insults on the authority of the church and the pope did I issue the excommunication. I couldn't let a Catholic King continuously attack the spiritual authority of the papacy. He seemed to think he could attack the pope like any other person who pricked his honour.

I get the impression reading the long-winded insult-laced apologies that James doesn't even seem to be aware when he's insulting people.  Shocked Excommunicating James wasn't exactly a win for Rome, just necessary.

Glad it is sorted out now, but I doubt even now James really gets what went wrong in the conversation and probably like his son just thinks it was the Pope being "uppity."

I did find the hypocrisy of James' Son pretty breathtaking though. He screamed like bloody murder that I was interfering in things that weren't my business when I said something about the Holy Roman Emperor, but he apparently felt not the slightest shame in suggesting that as a protestant king he had something useful to say about a catholic matter.

Post by Guest Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:04 pm

So...how is G3 going...are the French and Americans still fighting?

How is the rest of Europe?  Anyone else at each others throat or are everyone else just getting on?
    Ardagor
    Ardagor
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Ardagor Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:49 pm

The Peace talks have been going on for 4 months now and the positions are moving slowly, altough the war is still grinding on.

The process is as follows, I (Americas Republic) write to England with my proposals. King James then send a letter to King Louis of France with the American position, Louis reply to James and James write a letter to me to tell me what Louis have answered. Quite convoluted and time-consuming, I have never been in direct communication With the French, everything is through King James.

The Spanish and the Chinese keep bashing away, the Chinese have superior numbers and are slowly overwhelming the better equipped and led Spanish forces, suffering Heavy losses in the process.

Prussia and England is insulting each other in the press.

Otherwise not much is happening.

Post by Guest Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:16 am

Thanks Ardagor Smile  Hope you get peace soon

Amazing that the Spanish-Chinese War still drags on!  By now I think I'd have given up if I was Spanish.  
    Why are England and Prussia insulting each other?
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:52 pm

Are the evil hordes of the Manchu attacking Manila or have they invaded the Spanish America's?

In terms of % of total forces that the player can put on the battlefield Spain has got to be one of the worst positions in the game.....but I am pleased that at long last someone is standing up to the Manchu.

Bunch of second generation flea bitten horse nomads and suddenly they are claiming god knows what.

Post by Guest Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:02 pm

I think it's a case of the naughty Spanish invading the Mandate of Heaven...or trying to...think they started trying about 15 years ago...and so far think their biggest achievement is giving future archaeologists a headache when they discover the graves of dead native Americans in Spanish uniforms on Taiwan!
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:25 pm

Jason wrote:I think it's a case of the naughty Spanish invading the Mandate of Heaven...or trying to...think they started trying about 15 years ago...and so far think their biggest achievement is giving future archaeologists a headache when they discover the graves of dead native Americans in Spanish uniforms on Taiwan!

Very strange..........can not think why the Spanish would wish to invade China other than a quick raid to kidnap some Potters and make off with some Tea Seed but that does not take 15 years.

Bet the new time lapse on orders from Madrid is a bit of a problem.
    Ardagor
    Ardagor
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Ardagor Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:10 am

The problem between England and Prussia seems to be related to Swedens efforts to get some Territory in Germany back. Pommerania from Prussia and Holstein from Hannover. The Germans refuse due the time these territories have been under their Control (over 30 years) and the Reichkammergericht have thrown the Swedish claims out due to lack of evidence. The Prussians and the Swedish have been flinging dirt at each other for some time, and then King James joined in, England and Sweden is of course close allies.

I have no idea who have the best claim, but it is quite entertaining.
    Ardagor
    Ardagor
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Ardagor Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:48 pm

December 1740 was a good month. The Americas Republic Army of Maryland attacked the French forces in Philadelphia, 10-12,000 from the French army was killed or captured (roughly half the French force) and the city was liberated.

Last edited by Ardagor on Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1673

Post by Kingmaker Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:05 pm

now that is good news..... cheers
    Ardagor
    Ardagor
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Ardagor Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:28 pm

There was also a incident at New York. A French fleet was drilling, 64 SOL`s and 65 Cruisers, but no French ships on patrol. 3 American Frgates aproached New York, and the entire French fleet had to cease drilling and hide in port. That made me laugh, probably the last time a big French fleet will train without some cover.

Post by Guest Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:05 pm

3 Frigates make 120+ ships run and hide...since when are you employing Cochrane as an admiral? Wink

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 1:59 am