Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+2
Deacon
Stuart Bailey
6 posters

Game 6-War between Austria and the Twin-Kingdoms?

jamesbond007
    King
    King

Number of posts : 621
    Registration date : 2009-04-07

Game 6-War between Austria and the Twin-Kingdoms? - Page 2 Empty Re: Game 6-War between Austria and the Twin-Kingdoms?

Post by jamesbond007 Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:51 pm

As the position was played by the count de Monet . Paul. I would suggest trying to send him a message and ask. Good luck.
    count-de-monet
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 379
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Game 6-War between Austria and the Twin-Kingdoms? - Page 2 Empty Re: Game 6-War between Austria and the Twin-Kingdoms?

Post by count-de-monet Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:28 pm

I still come into the forum and read posts, but haven't logged in as a member until this evening for months. So jamesbond007 my huge apologies for missing your kind message of May, asking about the personal situation. Your ongoing support and understanding is a massive boost.

In terms of the Game 6 war, obviously what follows is a biased interpretation but I will try and keep it as factual as possible, which Richard would then be able to confirm (or deny!) more easily.

Game 6 began with a Spanish Bourbon and Hapsburg position. I began as Portugal.
    The Spanish Succession was resolved in favour of the Bourbon Family with Philippe, duc d'Anjou being named King
    A falling out occurred between the new Spanish King and his grand-father the French King (Louis XIV)
    King Philippe abdicated the Spanish throne in favour of King Pedro (who had been supportive of his early rule)
    King Pedro as King of the Twin-Kingdoms was accepted fairly universally, but the Hapsburg South (of Spain) objected
    While I was bringing peace to Spain a personality appeared in Milan and declared for Austria (my opinion is that this personality was an action of the Austrian player - but could have been Richard).
    Conveniently and amazingly, an Austrian force appeared almost literally immediately and took the Duchy.
    I had declared that upon Succession the Spanish Empire would remain Spanish sovereign soil (as a thank you to King Louis for not objecting to the Spanish Succession I leased the Duchy of Flanders to France)
    Austria refused to recognise Spanish sovereignty over Milan or enter into discussions on a lease agreement
    Thus (again in my opinion) Austria had taken Milan from Spain illegally, and this was supported, eventually by Rome.

Hope this helps some - and it would only be fair for whoever was the Austrian player at the time to give their view on events.

I think I still have the newspapers saved electronically on my PC so I should be able to put actuals dates to the events above as reported in the newspapers.
    The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 489
    Registration date : 2008-08-03

Post by The Revenant Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:47 am

Thanks for that (as ever), a very helpful nut-shell - and obviously fated that you should log-on at this particular moment! Still not sure who King Philip-in-Naples is ("historically"). I'm trying to work out his family links (apart from the fact that he is married to a daughter of the Emperor). Hope things are more settled for you in the real world (perhaps logging-on is a sign of that), and you might even be tempted back to GoK, somewhere, somehow..?
    count-de-monet
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 379
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by count-de-monet Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:58 pm

sorry Jim, the bit you wanted to know, and the bit I missed off !......

Philippe, King-in-Naples is the Duc d'Anjou and previously onetime King of Spain. Due to the falling out with his grandfather he didn't want to return to France upon abdication in Madrid, so I offered him title and "sanctuary" in Italy.

I do believe sometime after his abdication I was able to reconcile him to his family in France but he remained in Naples, serving the Spanish Crown.
    The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Post by The Revenant Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:27 pm

Excellent, thank you, just what I wanted to know, and as I suspected - which does give me an on-going family-blood reason to keep poking Austria on the sore wound that is Milan (you might be pleased to know).
    The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Post by The Revenant Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:14 am

A distant round of applause is heard for the Holy Roman Emperor..

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:51 pm