Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+8
Stuart Bailey
Deacon
Basileus
the great unwashed
Bearlord
revvaughan
Kingmaker
jamesbond007
12 posters

Game10

revvaughan
    revvaughan
    King
    King

Number of posts : 778
    Registration date : 2008-07-15

Game10 - Page 3 Empty Re: Game10

Post by revvaughan Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:47 am

Scotland may well be something of a treat!

Post by Guest Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:56 am

Maybe we should run a book on whether I get to January 1701 without being annexed by England... Razz
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Number of posts : 621
    Registration date : 2009-04-07

Post by jamesbond007 Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:10 pm

I would have to know who was playing England to know which way to bet.
    revvaughan
    revvaughan
    King
    King

Post by revvaughan Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:56 pm

The English player is very close!
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Post by jamesbond007 Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:30 pm

England again.? It will be a good game with you as England. It's such a tough position to play. But you must be the most experienced at it.
    the great unwashed
    the great unwashed
    Viscount
    Viscount

Number of posts : 176
    Registration date : 2010-08-15

Post by the great unwashed Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:34 pm

Since we're naming, I've thrown my hat in as Prussia.
    On that subject, can anyone recommend some reading material dealing with the Prussian army pre Seven Years War?
    revvaughan
    revvaughan
    King
    King

Post by revvaughan Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:24 pm

Looking forward to it... Prussia huh!!! Has always been a friend of mine.

Post by Guest Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:41 pm

This is shaping up to eb a good game Smile
    revvaughan
    revvaughan
    King
    King

Post by revvaughan Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:27 pm

Long may it remain so... I wonder how this is going to work since we seem to have always been allied or at least neutral to each other Jason! Looking a the maps north of current position.

Post by Guest Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:19 pm

well, in a way, we could look to history itself maybe? For work, had to do a bit of work and research this year on the Union (as part of its possible ending). In 1700 England wasn't interested in conquest of Scotland or union with it-what England wanted was simply the continuation of the union of the thrones so a Protestant monarch sat on both the English and Scottish thrones...Scotland (oddly perhaps) was more interested in a union of some sort (though the full political union we got was only one of a number of options being put forward) and access to English colonial markets.  
    The English dragged their heels on the trade issue or any idea of union (it just didn't appeal) and it was only when the attitude of the Scottish ruling class changed and started to propose that if England wouldn't give the trade concessions then perhaps the next monarch of Scotland might not be the same as of England (maybe a Stuart?  There was even a leading Scottish noble-whose name now escapes me-who supported the idea but on the understanding it would be him rather than a Stuart...and tried to get French support!) that made the English start to think in favour of the union.  Perhaps a less pig headed Scottish government might have got what it wanted from England in the end without Union (and without having to scare the English shitless with the idea of Stuarts to the North!)

As we're doing this in public, I can make this suggestion Smile  perhaps in G10 we could look upon England and Scotland as some sort of loose team position-two nations, one king, working together with a common agenda.  I suspect a friendly northern neighbour, who makes sure the back door to England is shut to the French and other nations potentially hostile to london, would be preferable to having to occupy Scotland and garrison it long term Wink  Plus, now New Caledonia is firmly established in-game...well...a nice friendly northern neighbour with a foothold in central America could be useful to English trade interests...

Oh, Great Unwashed...this might be useful for Prussia http://www.spanishsuccession.nl/prussian_army.html and http://www.wfgamers.org.uk/resources/C18/prusorg.htm and do remember you'll have a couple of mini-colonies in Africa

Last edited by Jason on Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Post by jamesbond007 Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:13 am

Good to see England and Scotland at peace. It will give the Scottish player a good run at it. Only France or Spain could ruin the party now.
    Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 458
    Registration date : 2011-07-01

Post by Basileus Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:54 am

So it appears as if an export license for tartan clad elephants will no longer be required. But just think of the effect of a charge of highlanders and elephants. Never mind. I am sure that I can recruit tribal infantry to do the same job. Infantry armed with swords and shields seems to have been one of the elements of Moghul armies. Individually the soldiers seemed to have been brave and skillled but from what I have read their weakness was in a lack of co-ordination.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2567
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:50 am

Jason wrote:well, in a way, we could look to history itself maybe? For work, had to do a bit of work and research this year on the Union (as part of its possible ending). In 1700 England wasn't interested in conquest of Scotland or union with it-what England wanted was simply the continuation of the union of the thrones so a Protestant monarch sat on both the English and Scottish thrones...Scotland (oddly perhaps) was more interested in a union of some sort (though the full political union we got was only one of a number of options being put forward) and access to English colonial markets.  
    The English dragged their heels on the trade issue or any idea of union (it just didn't appeal) and it was only when the attitude of the Scottish ruling class changed and started to propose that if England wouldn't give the trade concessions then perhaps the next monarch of Scotland might not be the same as of England (maybe a Stuart?  There was even a leading Scottish noble-whose name now escapes me-who supported the idea but on the understanding it would be him rather than a Stuart...and tried to get French support!) that made the English start to think in favour of the union.  Perhaps a less pig headed Scottish government might have got what it wanted from England in the end without Union (and without having to scare the English shitless with the idea of Stuarts to the North!)

As we're doing this in public, I can make this suggestion Smile  perhaps in G10 we could look upon England and Scotland as some sort of loose team position-two nations, one king, working together with a common agenda.  I suspect a friendly northern neighbour, who makes sure the back door to England is shut to the French and other nations potentially hostile to london, would be preferable to having to occupy Scotland and garrison it long term Wink  Plus, now New Caledonia is firmly established in-game...well...a nice friendly northern neighbour with a foothold in central America could be useful to English trade interests...

Oh, Great Unwashed...this might be useful for Prussia http://www.spanishsuccession.nl/prussian_army.html oh and do remember you'll have a couple of mini-colonies in Africa

Feel that if both Scotland & England are run by William of Orange Loyalists working in reasonable co-operation (will the English Government agree to pull the Scots out of their financial black hole caused by the New Caladonia with a big contract to supply Cannonades to the Royal Navy?) then the any Jacobite player is going to be faced with a real challenge.

If the Anglo-Scots ministers are joined by more of Williams Loyal Ministers running the UDP this could actually create a position in G10 were the French have to view them as a equal and re-creates in Game the diplomatic clout of William of Orange when the partition treaties were signed.

With Scots/English/Dutch in active co-operation it might even worry the Spanish enough about their colonial position - Scots on the make and no doubt flogging the Indians Whisky is a terrible thing from a Spanish point of view - that they are driven into the Arms of Louis XIV and the creation of a Bourbon Super Power.

nd is run by William of Orange Lloyalists, England is run byatIf EnJ
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Post by jamesbond007 Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:10 am

Be wary of forming any formal alliance between England,Scotland and the U.D.P. This may unite the Catholics of Spain,Portugal and France against you. I would be surprised if any U.D.P player would openly go against the Catholic nations. There is no sea keeping them separate from the Spanish and French.

Post by Guest Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:12 pm

We'll see what happens Smile  But we always get a few unions/takeovers in-game that didn't happen historically in 18th Century-the Kalmar Union seems popular-why not have one that did happen, not happen.

Just out of interest, has anyone ever signed up for the Duchy of Lorraine?  Now there is one position I've always imagined having a short life...
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Post by jamesbond007 Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:35 pm

I would be surprised if England would want any kind of military alliance with the udp. Scotland and the udp would add very little militarily to England. France would still be very dominant. But any commitment from England to defend the udp would be madness from England. If i was England i would be very careful what treaties i entered into regarding the udp.

That said. I would be surprised if a French player was too interested in the udp. Spain and the succession should keep it busey. So any three way union in my opinion would be better off flying under the French radar. Not drawing attention to itself. That is how i would play England or the udp. Keep treaties to trade and friendship/relationship builder, rather than any military treaties and potentially dangerous military committment.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:19 pm

Agree, Spain and France both can threaten the UDP a lot easier than England.

jamesbond007
    King
    King

Post by jamesbond007 Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:38 pm

Have you any plans to join game 10 Deacon.?
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2567
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:21 pm

jamesbond007 wrote:I would be surprised if England would want any kind of military alliance with the udp. Scotland and the udp would add very little militarily to England. France would still be very dominant. But any commitment from England to defend the udp would be madness from England. If i was England i would be very careful what treaties i entered into regarding the udp.

That said. I would be surprised if a French player was too interested in the udp. Spain and the succession should keep it busey. So any three way union in my opinion would be better off flying under the French radar. Not drawing attention to itself. That is how i would play England or the udp. Keep treaties to trade and friendship/relationship builder, rather than any military treaties and potentially dangerous military committment.

Historically prior to the Spanish Succession crisis England, Scotland, and the UDP are all lead by William of Orange and have recently spent the nine years war fighting the French in alliance with the Austrian & Spanish Hapsburgs & German Princes (several of whom with related to William).

So in theory England, Scotland & the UDP are like the Ottomans and the Polish Commonwealth a "team position" and unlike the Ottomans they even have historic allies and plenty of stuff like dredgers, drill missions etc to offer to allies. But as we all know these "teams" are more likely to break up than remain united. But perhaps Jason & Rev can be the exception Suspect

Will be interesting if the UDP starts with its historic Flanders barrier fortresses at the start of G10?

If Spain stays Hapsburg the UDP is militarily OK and its Hapsburg Flanders which needs Dutch support. However, if Spain turns Bourbon it looks like really bad news for the UDP & Portugal and usually is in game.

jamesbond007
    King
    King

Post by jamesbond007 Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:28 pm

All depends on who has Spain and France. Experianced or inexperianced players. Political leaders or warmongers.? From memory, nobody has claimed either of them i believe.?
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:02 pm

jamesbond007 wrote:Have you any plans to join game 10 Deacon.?

Very tempted! Thinking about what would be an interesting position that isn't too big.

Don't have time at the moment for another big position.
    Bearlord
    Lord
    Lord

Number of posts : 38
    Registration date : 2008-07-04

Post by Bearlord Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:58 pm

I think Bavaria and the House of Wittelsbach is one of the more interesting among the smaller positions in Europe, at least politically. They have claims on both the Spanish and Polish thrones even if the first may be rather weak compared to others, and in the case of Poland having a formal claim may not even be noted. Being a Protestant willing to convert to Catholicism can sometimes be enough.

Historically in 1700 Maximilian II Emanuel of Wittelsbach was the Governor of the Spanish Netherlands which would have been interesting to see at the start of a LGDR game.
    He is also one of the more ambitious personalities of the time, on par with Charles XII, even if he may be less known in the battlefield.
    Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 458
    Registration date : 2011-07-01

Post by Basileus Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:15 pm

If anyone goes onto the agema website you can see which positions have been taken for game 10. Including Madagascan pirates, which worries me.

Post by Guest Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:03 pm

Thanks Basileus Smile  Hadn't seen that page.  Hmmm...not sure I have encountered that sort of pirate as an active position before...
    the great unwashed
    the great unwashed
    Viscount
    Viscount

Number of posts : 176
    Registration date : 2010-08-15

Post by the great unwashed Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:49 pm

Thanks Jason. A good start.
    After 19 years as The Moghul I'm hoping this will present different challenges.
    Good Luck Basileus. Not sure I can offer any advice since it was 1725 when I seized power.
    We're certainly getting a good and experienced crew together for this game. Should prove interesting especially if France can be persuaded to take part. In game 8 I do feel there is a void resulting from French inaction. Maybe it's just me...
    Good luck all and now, what with school having finished till the new year, I'm off to do some research.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 03, 2024 12:14 am