Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

5 posters

Colonial Roads

The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 489
    Registration date : 2008-08-03

Colonial Roads Empty Colonial Roads

Post by The Revenant Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:25 pm

So far as I can tell, standard road-and-canal investment only applies to the home-nation. Anyone any experience or ideas concerning building roads (and/or canals, but especially roads) in overseas territories? Seems like it should be a good idea...
    revvaughan
    revvaughan
    King
    King

Number of posts : 778
    Registration date : 2008-07-15

Colonial Roads Empty Re: Colonial Roads

Post by revvaughan Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:38 pm

In Game VIII I have started improving canals and roads in all colonial holdings. As yet I don't know what the results are, but we are working away at it.
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Number of posts : 661
    Registration date : 2015-08-15

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:21 pm

When I took control of Jamaica, as Blackbeard, there was no road/canal network given to me as the Island's stats. But I asked about it, and in response began working on improving the road network. I just installed a governor and ran the island / settlements as if it was a country, using just the normal info from the rules books and it all worked as you'd expect. (although in a smaller capacity for recruit / investment returns, and cheaper costs for roads / canals, due to the island's size)

J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1239
    Registration date : 2012-02-16

Post by J Flower Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:17 am

I simply asked Agema the cost for the colony I wanted to improve, then next turn I got a reply & it appeared on my monthly turn sheet in a similar way to the home nation, started both roads & canals at level E then just had to invest as usual
    The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 489
    Registration date : 2008-08-03

Post by The Revenant Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:11 am

Excellent. Thank you one and all. So simple (you only have to ask).
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1239
    Registration date : 2012-02-16

Post by J Flower Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:28 am

Sometimes it is hard to make simple things more complicated
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:15 pm

I just asked on my turn (game 8 Hispania) and it was a cool 1.3 Million for roads in south america. The viceroyalty of mexico is practically a steal at just 400K. Then I have a number of the Caribbean islands listed, with Cuba at 100K, and going down from there.

I have the money to burn, so I'll probably do it, but as much for the hope it might cut travel time in south america more than I think it will really pay for itself with trade improvements.

Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:43 pm

I wouldn't like to guess how much it would cost to properly do roads in Rozwi territory ... would such a thing be possible in Sub-Saharan Africa to a Tribal nation?! Or will I have to invite some South Americans to make me my own Inca road system Colonial Roads 3465686019

I'm guessing canals are out of the question for Rozwi too Razz
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:23 pm

My guess is that you'd pay less than that, but that it would be a very bad use of your money. Since roads improve the underlying economy, you'd need an enormous economy to make it a useful expenditure.

The real problem would be the fact that you'd have to pay the maintenance on them after you built them.

Canals I'd guess would probably be right out without some european engineering help.
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:20 pm

In truth, I have ordered the improvement of roads from E to D, and you're right about the upkeep cost being the bottomless pit that'll see money thrown at it, again and again and again.

Its just the age old problem of vastness, wildlife and wilderness. They don't allow for easy travel in Africa. But, its historically correct, so I'm not going to argue against it Smile
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:24 pm

Rozwi_Game10 wrote:In truth, I have ordered the improvement of roads from E to D, and you're right about the upkeep cost being the bottomless pit that'll see money thrown at it, again and again and again.

Its just the age old problem of vastness, wildlife and wilderness. They don't allow for easy travel in Africa. But, its historically correct, so I'm not going to argue against it :)

Well, since you don't have to pay for upkeep if your roads are being improved, you might as well just take them all the way to A then!

Not sure what poor relief looks like for the Rowzi, but typically the poor relief money defrays the upkeep cost. If your poor relief is great enough, then you don't have to fund the upkeep since it is paid for out of poor relief.

In Hispania, I just upped my poor relief to make sure I covered the upkeep of roads so I didn't have to think about it.

Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:38 pm

£100,000 poor relief upkeep a year, at present road level. I asked last turn and was informed if I give the order it'll be made a standing order that the monies will be taken from the treasury come April.

I'm also having a surveyor mission look into the cost and viability of a private road connecting Town A to Town B.

As at present Town A is only connected to Place D which goes to Settlement E. Everywhere else is cut off by the vast wilderness of Africa, which is probably the same for Portuguese East Africa and Dutch Cape Colony (if it has other settlements?)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 6:57 pm