Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

3 posters

Doh! I forgot about that one ... How many other historic facts have I lost track of?

Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Number of posts : 661
    Registration date : 2015-08-15

Doh! I forgot about that one ... How many other historic facts have I lost track of? Empty Doh! I forgot about that one ... How many other historic facts have I lost track of?

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Fri May 11, 2018 6:26 pm

Just been watching the tv program "Impossible Engineering" while having my evening meal.

The Eddystone Lighthouse in the English Channel. The first of the constructed towers being completed in 1699.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddystone_Lighthouse

It is the 3rd lighthouse, "Smeaton's Tower" which is relevant to my meaning, here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smeaton%27s_Tower

And it's designer, the civil engineer John Smeaton, rediscovering of the use of hydraulic lime, a form of concrete used in Roman times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_lime

I have heard of this stuff before and did make a mental note to myself that it would be useful in the game ...And then, subsequently, forgot about it.

I hate to think how much knowledge I've failed to retain that could has seen use in the game.

Doh! I forgot about that one ... How many other historic facts have I lost track of? Marc-aerophoto-img_7553-fort-louvois

What? Did you really think I was talking about building a lighthouse Doh! I forgot about that one ... How many other historic facts have I lost track of? 3247665605 The above will look good, off-shore, at Inhambane! elephant

The launching of Rozwi's newest ship of the line...

Doh! I forgot about that one ... How many other historic facts have I lost track of? African-native-slaver-s-canoe-carrying-captives-to-the-coast_a-l-4236902-8880731

Doh! I forgot about that one ... How many other historic facts have I lost track of? Empty Re: Doh! I forgot about that one ... How many other historic facts have I lost track of?

Post by Guest Fri May 11, 2018 7:58 pm

I know what you mean, there are a whole range of Chinese technologies that have been "lost" but are in advance of those generally available at the beginning of 18th Century, fit for rediscovery Smile

In Scotland there was a coal mine goin out under the sea http://www.bbc.co.uk/coast/series3/05_berwick_aberdeen.shtml (scroll down to "Culross"), now that technology could come in handy in games
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1239
    Registration date : 2012-02-16

Doh! I forgot about that one ... How many other historic facts have I lost track of? Empty Re: Doh! I forgot about that one ... How many other historic facts have I lost track of?

Post by J Flower Tue May 15, 2018 6:06 pm

Can the Rowzi please send a ship building mission to Russia in game seve, Iwe do like the new design you are showing here, it is certainly a lot better than what we currently have,
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Thu May 17, 2018 6:07 am

I've been trying to research hydraulic lime in game 8 for years with no results yet.

No real idea what I'll do with the invention, but it is far too cool not to try.
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Thu May 17, 2018 6:18 pm

Think the Hydraulic lime could be used to improve aquaducts, reduce leakage & improve water delivery.

On a similar but completly different subject, I think Historically Russia actually dug up Mammoth remains from the frozen tundra, think I saw a TV documentary about it once, have any other Russian players, or in fact anyone else tried this as an investment?
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Thu May 17, 2018 6:30 pm

I was considering the possiblity of building the panama canal, and thought hydraulic lime would be critical for that.

Probably would make building canals cheaper too, but not much help when they're all built up already!
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Sun May 20, 2018 9:22 am

May help lower Maintaince costs, or mean less dredgers are needed.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content