Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+2
revvaughan
The Revenant
6 posters

Large well-developed position on offer (maybe)

The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 489
    Registration date : 2008-08-03

Large well-developed position on offer (maybe) Empty Large well-developed position on offer (maybe)

Post by The Revenant Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:15 pm

If anyone is interested in taking over France in Game 8 I'm quite happy to drop the reins in their favour. I feel as though I've done all the major stuff I wanted to and am now treading water, and thinking the game as a whole might benefit from a change of personality at the helm (I can't do schizophrenia) - while on the other hand I don't want just to drop. We all know it is large position, but I reckon to have done all the tedious build-up stuff; the economy and military are healthy, we have plenty of modernisations and cultural developments, but there is scope for expansion in trade and colonial exploration - not to mention political wheeling-and-dealing and/or skulduggery - so I reckon the position could be run on a reasonably low real-world cost in terms of time and money by someone with a different approach/emphasis. Anyone interested can send me a private message and I can go into more detail. Or feel free to comment open-thread on whatever comes to mind...

Large well-developed position on offer (maybe) Empty Re: Large well-developed position on offer (maybe)

Post by Guest Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:43 pm

I will put my hand up for it. Will drop you a PM.
    revvaughan
    revvaughan
    King
    King

Number of posts : 778
    Registration date : 2008-07-15

Large well-developed position on offer (maybe) Empty Re: Large well-developed position on offer (maybe)

Post by revvaughan Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:24 pm

I hate to see you leave Game 8... I thought things would get interesting in the coming months.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2567
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:29 pm

Any good wars going or about to happen in G8 which France is involved with?
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:14 am

France's challenge in game 8 was the position was in limbo for the first 5 years. I _think_ somebody played it, but they never wrote or responded to letters or did any diplomacy at all. It made the early years of game 8 kind of surreal. Can you imagine a history where Louis had no opinions? Very Happy

As a consequence, a lot of the game landscape politically was in place by the time the real Louis arrived without a French place in that landscape. Certainly France is a big dog and can always start something. But existing alliances can mean some of those choices are more dicey.

I would be also sorry to see our friend drop the position, but he is also correct I think that it's a good juncture since the position hasn't committed to any major course. A new player would have a lot of latitude on how they wanted to move on the political landscape.
    The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Post by The Revenant Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:37 am

revvaughan wrote:I hate to see you leave Game 8...  I thought things would get interesting in the coming months.  

They still might! it is the political potential I will miss most - but there feels like so much treacle to wade through to get there these days (or I'm just getting old and time-poor). Our twin "dancing on the edge" has been about the best bit of the game for me, what's kept me in as long as this. So thanks!
    The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Post by The Revenant Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:41 am

Stuart Bailey wrote:Any good wars going or about to happen in G8 which France is involved with?

Well, the situation with England is teetering on a knife-edge. Given the right provocation... Apart from that Game 8 is a very peaceful world (unless you're in India, or Ingria). The European power-blocs are about equi-poised, with no-one eager to start a fight.
    The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Post by The Revenant Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:46 am

Deacon wrote:
    France's challenge in game 8 was the position was in limbo for the first 5 years. I _think_ somebody played it, but they never wrote or responded to letters or did any diplomacy at all. It made the early years of game 8 kind of surreal. Can you imagine a history where Louis had no opinions?  Very Happy

As a consequence, a lot of the game landscape politically was in place by the time the real Louis arrived without a French place in that landscape. Certainly France is a big dog and can always start something. But existing alliances can mean some of those choices are more dicey.

I would be also sorry to see our friend drop the position, but he is also correct I think that it's a good juncture since the position hasn't committed to any major course. A new player would have a lot of latitude on how they wanted to move on the political landscape.

A spot-on summary. The initial player I think did not play for long, but long enough for folk to spot that the country was in play. Because he did no diplo or publicity no-one noticed when he dropped, which meant that folk were wary and uncertain, somewhat inhibited, for long afterwards. The one thing he did was to micro-name (in French) all his battalions and squadrons... I had fun re-building the position and establishing a public presence, but that is wearing off now. Hopefully a good time for new blood to take things in a fresh direction, without letting-down old allies.
    revvaughan
    revvaughan
    King
    King

Number of posts : 778
    Registration date : 2008-07-15

Post by revvaughan Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:18 pm

I am not certain what the future in the game will look like, but I think that the economic and nation-building aspect can only hold our attention for so long. Perhaps I could shoot at you, if that helps! sword lol!
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1239
    Registration date : 2012-02-16

Post by J Flower Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:17 am

Have personally long considered France the nucleus of the game, having an active France is key to having a good game, a lot of game actions are driven by France, or reacted to by the other positions. There is a certain fear/ respect balance for Franc ein the other positions, so I hope for the sake of other players in G8 that you are able to find someone to take up the baton & continue keeping the position active.
    count-de-monet
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 379
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by count-de-monet Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:19 pm

slightly diverting away from the main theme of this thread, totally agree with J Flower about importance of France, especially to other European positions. As obvious from other threads, I do play France in one of the games and I think its important for France to play a certain way....my own experience in G9 and what happened initially in G8 would seem to bear this out. To a degree, Europe feeds off a kind of belligerent France position. I needed to understand this a lot earlier than I have in G9 !

For G8 I hope the position is picked up if Real Louis does step down. It is a prime game position and the game world needs it. Good luck to whoever picks it up

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 5:24 am