Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+3
MarkTurner26
Kingmaker
mmcdhoward
7 posters

How long in a position?

mmcdhoward
    Freeman
    Freeman

Number of posts : 13
    Registration date : 2011-11-09

How long in a position? Empty How long in a position?

Post by mmcdhoward Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:19 pm

A thought that I had. While I have a five year plan in my current Game 9 position and have no intent of leaving until the entire country is a reflection of the vision I have for it, I thought that perhaps other players may prefer to bounce around a bit. With that in mind, how long do you guys play a position usually, and what usually drives you to switch it up?
    Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1673
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

How long in a position? Empty Re: How long in a position?

Post by Kingmaker Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:53 pm

some times it is because I have run out of things to do or achieve, some times it is work presure

Post by Guest Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:39 pm

I tend to try and hang around for a good few years and like you have 5 (and even 10) year development plans. I should say my development plans are not just for the military but also civil infrastructure, so it is about roads, canals, doctors, lawyers, trade improvements, etc. In fact as my time has gone on I have found myself more and more focusing on the civil infrastructure and its improvements there that give me greater pleasure.

When I have dropped out of games, it is usually for 21st Century financial reasons-only had one game where I dropped out of a position because I wasn't enjoying it. Currently fighting off the urge to go 'sod it' and look seriously into joining G9.

Last edited by Jason on Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Bulked out response)
    MarkTurner26
    MarkTurner26
    Marquess
    Marquess

Number of posts : 260
    Registration date : 2012-11-03

Post by MarkTurner26 Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:12 pm

Jason come join us mate...

I find I need to move on, I have flitted around a few games, being in game 2,3,6,8 and now 9, some nations I found it hard to settle on. Much like Korea now...

Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:27 pm

I've only ever dropped for financial reasons, like Jason I like the nation building play, so even if there isn't wars or the like going on, I find the game quite fun.

I can see dropping a lesser position after a while because it got boring though.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2567
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:47 pm

I like try different positions with different objectives and play them in different ways so the amount of time spent playing a position will vary.

Dropped my Rhineland Electorate after being made Emperor for a time, dropped my French Corsairs position when the French Govt wanted to make me a Colonial Official and tell me exactly what to do.

But generally I have lost positions when games folded ie Assyria's End, Ground Zero and often just as I was starting to make progress! LAK & Crusade.

I also like running "losser" positions and seeing if I can do better than history. Oddly my oldest position is my Ottoman Military one in G2 played since 1705 in game. Its remarkable how many foe's a Rumalian Pasha can pick up along the way. Guess being attacked by the Sultan and the Janissary corp on my first turn should have been a bit of a clue! It was a misunderstanding!!

Have now fought Moldavian/Wallachian rebels, the Jannissary corp & their allies in Rumelia, Sultanate, Egypt & Syria, Poles X2, Persians, Venice X3, Knights of St John, Papal States, Spain, France X2, England, Ireland, Russians (minor misunderstanding caused by a Russian Army taking a very funny route home), Austria X3, Tuscany, Portugal & L-C.

Too this day I claim my X2 Characters in this game (1st one .....assassinated! starting a very long blood feud) are misunderstood and put upon civil servents.
    Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 458
    Registration date : 2011-07-01

Post by Basileus Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:09 pm

Is it time for a return of Assyrias End? In hindsight I regretted dropping that game.I didnt really take to Crusade and never tried Ground Zero. Anyone else want to ask Richard for a return of Assyrias End?
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2567
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:16 am

Basileus wrote:Is it time for a return of Assyrias End? In hindsight I regretted dropping that game.I didnt really take to Crusade and never tried Ground Zero. Anyone else want to ask Richard for a return of Assyrias End?
    I note that following the success of Scabble in taking the place of Gunship Diplomacy, Richard is now planning a new "Space Opera" game to take the place of Ground Zero.

So perhaps a new Ancient period game may follow the "Space Opera" to replace Crusade & Assyria's End.

Liked the period but in my view Assyria's End was the weakest of the Agema games and would need a total rewrite to make it work. Crusade worked better but in its first version the Crusade never left Anatolia and the Holy Land Players got bored waiting for them.

This may have been the fault of the players rather than the game but my feeling is that the game would have worked better if we had started with Crusaders already in the Holy Land and Crusaders having the option to sail direct rather than try to fight though hordes of Turks in Anatolia.

To give the Muslim players something else to worry about other than putting a "sharp" on their blades while waiting for Crusaders who fail to show up a game set in say the 12OO's would also have the Mongol Khans.

The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 489
    Registration date : 2008-08-03

Post by The Revenant Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:59 am

I've "only" been playing for about 5 years in all, and only in two positions (sequentially). I started with a small nation, to get a feel for the game, and got addicted. For quite a while I played to the minimum number of orders, with a self-set target of EH and Honour. And - with friendly pc neighbours, many surrounding inactive nations, and one large powerful neighbour which kept dropping out - nothing much got in the way of my plans (apart from Richard). After almost 4 years I had achieved my goals and there seemed little left to do (no challenge from outside), and an opportunity came up to take over a much larger nation in a different game, so I swopped (and was fortunate to find another player willing to take on my little nation and keep it going). At that point I also took on a Swashbuckler position in my first game to keep an eye on things there. My new nation was in a reasonable condition EH etc-wise, though with one or two entanglements that I am only just straightening out after a year of play. So plenty of refreshed interest, though now I spend far too much money on multi-order turns, but there you go...
    Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 458
    Registration date : 2011-07-01

Post by Basileus Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:25 pm

I know its off topic but any news on what this space opera game is going to be like?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 10:53 am