Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

5 posters

Book Recommendations

count-de-monet
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 379
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Book Recommendations Empty Book Recommendations

Post by count-de-monet Tue May 05, 2020 9:19 am

It seems clear we have some posters that know this period quite well.

My knowledge is very poor on this period and limited to basic state education level (pre-exams) - my history studies/exams focused on the 19th and 20th centuries.

If I am honest I am struggling with Histories and Annals that Richard recommended to me. I am struggling to digest the text and I think its mainly because of not being familiar with names, both of personalities and locations.

I would really welcome some book recommendations that start at quite a high level of information and give me a feel for the mechanics of the Roman Empire, impact of emperor/senate, the military, infrastructure etc without going into the detail. At this stage I dont need to have an extensive knowledge of who the senators were, who plotted together and what the family politics are. That can come ! The Roman Empire covered a period of several hundred years, so ideally I am only interested in the 1st century AD although I accept I have to go backwards to understand the context.

Try to imagine someone studying for an O level (for those who are British and old like me!)

cheers guys

Paul
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Number of posts : 672
    Registration date : 2019-06-16

Book Recommendations Empty Re: Book Recommendations

Post by Jason2 Tue May 05, 2020 11:58 am

I've not read it but have been told Mary Beard's "SPQR: A history of ancient rome" is fairly good. It is more than the 1st Century, starts with the foundation myth and ends around 200 AD, however I believe it is quite easy to get hold of from libraries or fairly cheap 2nd hand

Regor likes this post

Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Number of posts : 672
    Registration date : 2019-06-16

Post by Jason2 Tue May 05, 2020 12:58 pm

Another option, are you one for podcasts? There is quite a good one called "The History of Rome" https://tunein.com/podcasts/History-Podcasts/The-History-of-Rome-Podcast-p346127/ The series starts with the early days of Rome and goes on to the end of the Western Empire. Around Episode 60 it's close to the time of the start of the game.

Regor and Johntindall like this post

Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2555
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Tue May 05, 2020 2:02 pm

I assumed that the Count would be joining James & Jason in reading his Livy, Plutarch, Dio Cassius, Frontinus & Polybius in the Latin.

But for some light and easy reading why not check out:

Adrian Goldsworthy & Peter Connolly books on the Roman Army (The Osprey books are also handy).

Tom Holland for the Political History (Rubicon on the Republic & Dynasty on the Early Empire)

The Linsdey Davis "Falco" novels for a Plebs eye view

Plus if your Character is a Priest of the Imperial Cult (ie all Roman Governors) and responsible for putting on Games and Gladiator Shows (the two were not the same!) you might like to look at Philip Matyszak book "Gladiator" - The Roman Fighters Manual (unofficial) ISBN 978-0-500-05167-2
    count-de-monet
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 379
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by count-de-monet Tue May 05, 2020 9:24 pm

Cheers guys - will look to pick up some of these. Responses appreciated

Post by Guest Thu May 07, 2020 5:46 am

Welcome to the ancient world, my first & greatest love (@ least until I found the opposite sex).

First off, I second Jason’s SPQR by Mary Beard. Excellent introduction, engagingly written. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it last year.

& Stuart is spot on with any of Peter Conolly’s books. I remember poring over his Roman Army book in 1986, sat in the school library, while the Manchester rain came in sideways. Loads of cool pictures! I think his books, along with my 3rd Form Latin teacher, Chris Urwin, are the source of why I took Classics at University.

Of course, once you have a feel for the times, I support reading the original Roman texts. There not as tough as you might feel, once you have context (which is important), and you will find a lot of in game inspiration.

Cicero is one of the greatest recorded orators, with speeches that have inspired rhetorical structures throughout the ages.

Suetonius is great fun. He wrote Histories of the First Twelve Emperors. He was a scandalous old tart, who loved his gossip. It is a 1st Century equivalent of National Enquirer/ Private Eye. Gives you a good idea on what might drop your or others glory.

Of course, per Stuart, Livy, Plutarch, Dio Cassius, Frontinus & Polybius, but don’t worry about the Latin (or Greek for Polybius or Plutarch). The Penguins are serviceable translations & cheap as chips. No need to blow a fortune on Loeb Classical Library.

Tacitus, the Agricola was a personal favourite, both in Latin & English. War against the British, with Calagacus’s (probably ephemeral) epic speech on freedom, that still resonates 2,000 years later.

For the Jewish War, read the ultimate turncoat, Josephus.

I am pulling some of my old books out of storage & buying a few new ones. I’ll share reviews & recommendations as I progress.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2555
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Thu May 07, 2020 7:25 pm

Kerensky wrote:Welcome to the ancient world, my first & greatest love (@ least until I found the opposite sex).

Or combine your two loves and read........Ovid or Catullus.

NB If playing a crusty old Senator (was there any other kind?) in this game and your catch your son and heir reading this stuff its clearly time to either pack him off to the Army or marry him off. Give the little "Hircus" a quick dose of proper Roman reality.

Regor likes this post

Johntindall
    Johntindall
    Lord
    Lord

Number of posts : 77
    Registration date : 2020-08-15

Post by Johntindall Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:34 pm

Colleen McCullough’s ‘Rome’ series is quite good, and you can zero in on our period. My character is reading Caesar’s Commentaries and various Histories for ideas. And although it’s quite specific and scholarly, if you like Military Intelligence, then may I recommend "Exploratio: Military & Political Intelligence in the Roman World from the Second Punic War to the Battle of Adrianople" By: N. J. E. Austin, N. B. Rankov’?

Last edited by Johntindall on Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:16 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling & spacing)
    Johntindall
    Johntindall
    Lord
    Lord

Post by Johntindall Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:47 am

Edit: Colleen McCullough's Rome series ends in 27BC with 'Antony and Cleopatra'. I haven't read it myself, but Nero is there, possibly as a secondary character..

Regor likes this post

Regor
    Regor
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 346
    Registration date : 2010-02-15

Post by Regor Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:54 am

I'm re-reading Ceasars Conquest of Gaul, Plutarch and just to keep it light, I Claudius and Claudius the God. Very Happy

Johntindall likes this post

Johntindall
    Johntindall
    Lord
    Lord

Post by Johntindall Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:14 am

Thank you for this recommendation. I am finding I'm listening and re-listening to to these episodes. A great tip, thank you!
    Jason2 wrote:Another option, are you one for podcasts?  There is quite a good one called "The History of Rome" https://tunein.com/podcasts/History-Podcasts/The-History-of-Rome-Podcast-p346127/  The series starts with the early days of Rome and goes on to the end of the Western Empire.  Around Episode 60 it's close to the time of the start of the game.
    Regor
    Regor
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Regor Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:48 pm

These will be on my litstening stream. I couldn’t type it you see😉
    Johntindall
    Johntindall
    Lord
    Lord

Post by Johntindall Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:46 pm

Regor likes this post

Regor
    Regor
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Regor Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:00 am

Looking good: waiting for the turn to drop.
    Johntindall
    Johntindall
    Lord
    Lord

Post by Johntindall Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:04 pm

Frontinus’ “Stratagemata” is a relatively short read written in our period. It suggests strategies and tactics for a wide range of scenarios.

Copies online are quite cheap.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:38 am