Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+17
jamesbond007
Stuart Bailey
Marshal Bombast
Goldstar
Mike
Prunesquallor
SteelCityTyke
The Revenant
Deacon
J Flower
Richard D. Watts
Basileus
Papa Clement
revvaughan
count-de-monet
tkolter
Jason2
21 posters

Game 10

Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Number of posts : 676
    Registration date : 2019-06-16

Game 10 - Page 34 Empty Re: Game 10

Post by Jason2 Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:55 pm

An excellent summary on the month's reported events Marshal Smile

My only objection would be that the Maritime Powers are not a "unified team position" rather we are "three separate positions who in Glory are completely independent of each other and can even go to war with each other but in G10 work as a loose alliance in-keeping with all three nations and the early 18th Century"...though I feel "The League of Extraordinary Nice Gentlemen" sums us up better.

We talk to each other a lot in letters and come to common approaches on a lot of possible events that might occur, which means we often seem to speak with the same voice, as we worked out in advance what might happen, work out the likelihood of them happening and agreed a common response.

Unfortunately "Denmark suddenly seizing Scottish and Dutch ships in some strange way of raising the issue of Sound Dues" was considered as likely as "Scramble's Albion Corporation discovering inter-dimensional travel and invading G10" and so not something we agreed a unified response to.

Clearly we misjudged things...and as well as responding to Denmark now need to prepare for a Scramble cross-over invasion...
    Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 366
    Registration date : 2009-01-23

Post by Marshal Bombast Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:26 pm

Jason2 wrote:An excellent summary on the month's reported events Marshal Smile

My only objection would be that the Maritime Powers are not a "unified team position" rather we are "three separate positions who in Glory are completely independent of each other and can even go to war with each other but in G10 work as a loose alliance in-keeping with all three nations and the early 18th Century"...though I feel "The League of Extraordinary Nice Gentlemen" sums us up better.

We talk to each other a lot in letters and come to common approaches on a lot of possible events that might occur, which means we often seem to speak with the same voice, as we worked out in advance what might happen, work out the likelihood of them happening and agreed a common response.

Unfortunately "Denmark suddenly seizing Scottish and Dutch ships in some strange way of raising the issue of Sound Dues" was considered as likely as "Scramble's Albion Corporation discovering inter-dimensional travel and invading G10" and so not something we agreed a unified response to.

Clearly we misjudged things...and as well as responding to Denmark now need to prepare for a Scramble cross-over invasion...

Thanks Jason, it takes a lot of in game diplomacy to have a common response to a situation. I tend to take a tongue in cheek approach in my write ups where the chance appears. Hence contrasting how unified the Maritime powers were with France compared to the Sound Dues situation. All 3 responses were valid for the way the Maritime powers are set up, you have your own situations and parliaments and the right to do what you want with your position.

I love playing TGOK as with so many players can add a lot of chances for 'I didn't expect that' to arise. Looking forward to reading how the Sound Dues situation plays out Smile

Jason2 likes this post

Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Number of posts : 676
    Registration date : 2019-06-16

Post by Jason2 Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:35 pm

Don't worry Marshal, I know you and I always have our tongues in similar places when it comes to the games Smile Just know not everyone does Smile

I must admit I did enjoy writing up Melville's OTT response, when I did it I wasn't 100% sure Denmark had an ambassador in Edinburgh, which could have wasted an excellent speech.
    Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Marshal Bombast Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:52 pm

Jason2 wrote:Don't worry Marshal, I know you and I always have our tongues in similar places when it comes to the games Smile   Just know not everyone does Smile

I must admit I did enjoy writing up Melville's OTT response, when I did it I wasn't 100% sure Denmark had an ambassador in Edinburgh, which could have wasted an excellent speech.

Reminded me of how the Tsar was rather angry at the start and before he mellowed out lol

Jason2 likes this post

Michael0
    Freeman
    Freeman

Number of posts : 9
    Registration date : 2020-09-21

Post by Michael0 Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:02 pm

My reading of the newspaper is that Tuscany DID arm its populace, just in case.
    Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Marshal Bombast Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:02 pm

Michael0 wrote:My reading of the newspaper is that Tuscany DID arm its populace, just in case.

I'm not sure it says either way whether the muskets were issued but the recommendation of where they'd be stored changed "muskets issued to the Mantua
    levy should be held centrally, rather than at their homes"

Also accept that muskets are likely available to the levy as a result though
    Hapsburg
    Viscount
    Viscount

Number of posts : 160
    Registration date : 2008-06-20

Post by Hapsburg Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:10 pm

Peace gives you a different perspective and chance to develop different areas of the game. Never had time for Emperor Leopold to write letters of commendation and condolences to a levy and patrols. Similarly I was able to write 14 letters last month.

An opportunity to analyse trade, seek ministers' advice, and identify areas for expansion. Perhaps trade treaties that grant zero trade tariffs to foreign merchants are not the correct approach?

Jason2 likes this post

Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Marshal Bombast Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:04 pm

The turn arrived earlier this week with the Lord President of Scotland reclaiming the top of the Honour Table. The Doge of Venice leapt over the Changamire and the King of Portugal pushed the Grand Duke of Tuscany out of his way to reach 10th most admired in the world.

1. The post Christmas slump seems to have affected international tact and diplomacy as the French Secretary of War was vocally less than impressed with the Portuguese offer of help.

King Frederick of Denmark was upset that the English navy left without saying goodbye.

The Tsarevich was less than gracious to his host, who just wanted to know if he had navigated the Prussian administration ok!

Wars have started for less, which is why it’s better to have Christmas in January so the February slump has everyone in the northern hemisphere too cold to waste time on such trivialities.

2. Troops were returning from war to nations other than those they fought for. French released prisoners made their way to Portugal and to the HWIC in Amsterdam.

While Brussels scrapped numerous French commissions, including their pensions as they’re no longer contributing to Flanders.

3. Diamonds aren’t forever as the Asante withdrew from the Antwerp Diamond Exchange. They closed their London trade office too. Perhaps their tea offering didn’t take off in Europe?

Or maybe the collapse of the diamond mine near Accra was part of the cause. Could this be related to the arson by locals that was determined to be the cause of the Accra Granary fire last year?

The Akanthene Emperor was disappointed with the shower of praise he took with his armed forces as they entered Akwamufie, but fared better when retiring for dinner.

4. The Lord President announced Scotland should have elections soon. Not sure whether this is the reason for the Honour table jump or the fact that he further upset the Danish ambassador Saltum.

Maybe Denmark’s poster boy ambassador will have a better time in Vienna?

5. France freed the Imperial city of Strassburg from their control. Sweden’s last army left the Paris area.

Meanwhile the Saxon army was less than impressed with the sights and sounds of Chalons-Sur-Marne, as were the Fiume Regiment at Rauris. Though the latter were happily able to leave for somewhere better.

6. It was a sad day when the Elector of Saxony and his mistress lost their newborn child this month.

Niccolo del Giudice, Cardinal Protector of Flanders died in his sleep, while the Governor and Treasurer of San Diego both died this month too.

With life so fragile in the world it’s no wonder Russia would need 1,000 orphanages to look after all their orphans.

7. Vienna saw the Diet give permission to ban Spanish trade due to market saturation and diminishing returns, to help their own merchants turn a profit.

His Sacred Majesty later wrote about the need for fair trade Poland apparently didn’t agree and banned Saxon trade. Publicly this was due to the occupation of Danzig, but maybe it was because the King of Poland was showing up the Regent by restoring Danzig to its former glory and founding a new village.

Was further retaliation seen in Graudenz? His Majesty’s one man army Colonel Lucjan ‘Lone Wolf’ Pulaski was arrested when trying to ‘persuade’ Graudenz to declare for Augustus II. Will the gaol hold him long? Reports are that when taken away he said ‘Violence is my last option.’

Maybe there’s something in the air as Turin arrested a group of Portuguese recruiters.

Did people not get the Christmas presents they wanted?

8. St Christopher has been seen in Portugal, where he miraculously saved a mother and child from drowning in flood waters.

Somewhat less believably King John has had his long hair cut off, maybe it was getting in the way when working at his carpentry business?

9. Malmo saw some vandalism take place overnight, much to the annoyance of the ship’s crew who had to make it good in the harsh winter weather.

Spain’s Court Circular complained of the Genoese arrest of another Spaniard, just in time for said Spaniard to confess to being a Spanish spy.

Just to show the Spanish strength of feeling towards Genoa a Spanish army occupied Rapallo just inside the Genoese border with Tuscany.

Apparently His Holiness’ Papal Office received a letter from merchants saying that Spain won’t give up slavery and they were proof and that a Papal Legate in Spain was aware. The letter continued to say that slavery may be banned within a few years. Though I may have to request another translation from the relevant collegium.

10. The response to the Grand Duke of Tuscany’s letter to Mantua was one of loyalty to Grand Duke Cosimo.

11. The Doge of Venice explained his thoughts about transparent government not always being appropriate and went on to say that trade was the way forward for the nation. Count Piccolo then pointed out that as Spain was annexing Italian towns war was inevitable. Perhaps this was taken to heart as another closed session happened the following day to discuss security.

12. Constantinople saw the passing of the Manpower edict but not the one setting an empire wide tax rate on foreign merchants, where the Ey’s and Bey’s were evenly split.

13. Kowloon celebrated the incoming Year of the Pig, though the Dutch Pacifisch Squadron weren’t invited. Perhaps they were making too much noise with their repairs?

Hapsburg and jamesbond007 like this post

Married to the Sea
    Freeman
    Freeman

Number of posts : 6
    Registration date : 2023-10-27

Post by Married to the Sea Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:08 am

Excellent summary. Dealing with the Venetian Senators is like spinning plates. Time for a bit of Melville stomping and shouting at the next senate meet methinks.

Marshal Bombast likes this post

Hapsburg
    Viscount
    Viscount

Post by Hapsburg Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:38 pm

Thanks again for the summary.

Didn't expect the turn deadline before Christmas; thought it would be in the new year so better get cracking lol.

jamesbond007
    King
    King

Number of posts : 621
    Registration date : 2009-04-07

Post by jamesbond007 Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:13 am

Hapsburg wrote:Thanks again for the summary.

Didn't expect the turn deadline before Christmas; thought it would be in the new year so better get cracking lol.

When you see the write up, summary for game 7 of Glori. Game 10 follows it. It usually takes a week, give or take a day from that point. There are a few more players in g10 than other games now so often a week and a day after g7 nowadays for the turn to land in our inboxes.

Just a quick tip on when to expect the turn to land.
    Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Marshal Bombast Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:00 pm

Hapsburg wrote:Thanks again for the summary.

You're welcome, I write forum post while thinking of my turn orders and this month the reply date has been zooming up, only just sending in today.

Hapsburg wrote:Peace gives you a different perspective and chance to develop different areas of the game. Never had time for Emperor Leopold to write letters of commendation and condolences to a levy and patrols. Similarly I was able to write 14 letters last month.

Must admit the possibility of going into Polish Commonwealth has given a different set of priorities, and my letters are either all or none received each month. 5 years of active play and still plenty more to do!

Hapsburg wrote:An opportunity to analyse trade, seek ministers' advice, and identify areas for expansion. Perhaps trade treaties that grant zero trade tariffs to foreign merchants are not the correct approach?

Suspect it depends which personality you ask, and the size and location of nation you have.

Colbertism (Carte Blanche)
    High tariffs are encouraged to protect own trade

Wealth of Nations has some research points (Court Circular)
    Tariffs hurt trade and trade is good

Mercantilism (Glory & Argument)
    Encourage your own population to purchase domestic goods (limited protectionism)

Hapsburg likes this post

Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Marshal Bombast Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:21 pm

Apologies for the double post but you might want to see this one

Game 10 arrived earlier this week with a new king of the Honour Table - The King in Prussia. His Majesty leapfrogging over the Lord President of Scotland who dropped 2 places to rank below the Elector of Saxony. In further excitement the Doge of Venice and the recently crowned King of Portugal both leapt ahead of The Akanthene of the Akan Union. Perhaps having the nuns pray for His Majesty’s soul is working?
    1. Tempers are fraying in Paris following how to receive offers to help rebuild following the peace, as evidenced by the slapping and shouting in front of His Most Christian Majesty’s court. Perhaps Portuguese rhyming poetry isn’t to French tastes?

Might not just be these 2 fine nations as Copenhagen saw a further upset Scottish Ambassador.

2. An announcement stunned its audience when the Dutch said they were giving away San Francisco to the Spanish as a gesture of goodwill.

Was this to do with a change of thoughts in Dutch economic planning as further information was shared about how they understood area trade to be finite in value? Perhaps we’ll find out more in the trade ministers conference being arranged for July.

3. European weather is making life uncomfortable for the armies returning from France with the French not providing much comfort on their way. Unless they get paid double time that is. This seems to be causing some frank discussions within the allied contingents. At least they’re well fed.

4. Strassburg was grateful to His Most Sacred Majesty, their liberator, and gracious in saying he’d be welcome to visit them to promote closer ties between them.

5. Edinburgh saw Scotland drop tariffs on Dutch and English merchants, saying the English needed Scottish help at this time. Denmark seemed to agree when stating that her economy was doing better than England, and proceeded to drop tariffs on Spanish merchants.

Dundee’s School of Shipbuilding were grateful for the gift of knowledge sent by the Tsar.

6. Dutch militia in 4 provinces have been stood down resulting in great celebrations.

7. Hanover has banned foreign recruiting following abuse by their neighbours.

8. King Frederick in Prussia sent a personal donation to the French Huguenots and said they’re welcome in Prussia should they so desire.

Meanwhile his ambassadors to neighbouring nations were promoting mutual free trade arrangements.

9. In Dresden Maria Aurora Spiegel was found to be in good health, albeit in mourning.

Regensburg saw Saxon suggestions put forward on how the Imperial provinces could be enfeoffed to maintain imperial prerogative, while maintaining the Stadtholders position in the United Dutch Provinces.

10. Austria saw the introduction of a tax inspectorate and the removal of tariffs for Dutch merchants.

11. During their Lenten celebrations the Portuguese court and society were discussing the impacts of Spain abolishing slavery and the free giving of land to the poor.

12. King Frederick Augustus of Poland has kept up his publicity campaign for restoring his rule, while gathering troops and recruits in Danzig.

13. Genoa closed the Spanish Embassy there following the admission of a caught spy. The Republic also called on its neighbours to help defend Genoa from Spanish aggression in the taking of Rapallo stating if they didn’t help they’d be next on Spain’s list of acquisitions.

Tuscany had similar thoughts as their navy arrived and refused entry of Spanish transports to Rapallo, much to the indignation of the Spanish General there.

14. Savoy found the reason for presumed low morale in their troops in that Spain didn’t honour a promised reward.

15. The Venetian Doge visited Pola where he discussed and invested in mining, before opening a library and giving out alms, which has gone down very well with the locals who are often overlooked.

16. The Ottoman Sultan was blessed with his consort falling pregnant, perhaps as a reward for his piety.

17. Cairo saw the appearance of the new Wali, Hasan Pasha, following the death of Quran Pasha. Welcome to who I assume is the new Ottoman Egypt player.

I’m not sure whether Hanover has a new player too, but welcome if you are.

18. The Akanthene was unhappy with previous treatment of his person and for poor behaviour in general of the latest nation to join the Akan Union. This matter soon escalated with the Great Army marching into Akwamufie and the subsequent death of the Akonno Panyin at the hand of the Otumfuo-King and leaving the Great Amry’s commander the Kontihene wounded.

19. Quito saw a request of Spanish terms for the peaceful return of the city to Spanish rule.

20. West Indies saw the apparent rise of another pirate captain, one Captain Kidd. Indeed ‘a new age of the pirate has arisen!’

21. Kowloon saw Lord Fong recognised as the most highly educated man in all of China. Hope that The Celestial Emperor doesn’t take offence. Perhaps though it was an overenthusiastic response to the public trialling of the Jiao ni chuan dredger?

22. A fond welcome as the next instalment of the Apollo Association arrives.

Nexus06, Michael0 and Married to the Sea like this post

Married to the Sea
    Freeman
    Freeman

Number of posts : 6
    Registration date : 2023-10-27

Post by Married to the Sea Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:15 pm

Thanks for the summary informative as usual. Nice to see more players joining although Egypt probably not a fan of Venice!! Getting a quick return in as off to New Zealand for 5 weeks but return for Game 10 looks like it will fall nicely on my return. Should be an interesting next session as Trade issues raise their head and diplomacy gets a little fraught.

Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 479
    Registration date : 2015-04-14

Post by Nexus06 Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:47 pm

Thanks Marshall for the precious summary and greeting from Cairo. Happy to be in G10 and hoping not to be wiped out immediately.

Should you wish to drop an in game letter to Hasan Pasha feel free and encouraged to do so, he is a chatty nice guy.

Hapsburg
    Viscount
    Viscount

Post by Hapsburg Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:41 pm

13. Genoa closed the Spanish Embassy there following the admission of a caught spy. The Republic also called on its neighbours to help defend Genoa from Spanish aggression in the taking of Rapallo stating if they didn’t help they’d be next on Spain’s list of acquisitions.

Tuscany had similar thoughts as their navy arrived and refused entry of Spanish transports to Rapallo, much to the indignation of the Spanish General there.

The Tuscan blockade caught me completely by surprise!

Enjoy your holiday in New Zealand. I take my laptop and end up writing game letters on a balcony or terrace with a few drinks in the early evening. Last July it was so hot in Sardinia I had to stay inside with the air conditioning on!  Game 10 - Page 34 1f602.

Great to have another new player, welcome to the game.
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Post by jamesbond007 Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:17 pm

Hapsburg wrote:

The Tuscan blockade caught me completely by surprise!

Enjoy your holiday in New Zealand. I take my laptop and end up writing game letters on a balcony or terrace with a few drinks in the early evening. Last July it was so hot in Sardinia I had to stay inside with the air conditioning on!  Game 10 - Page 34 1f602.

Great to have another new player, welcome to the game.

Let’s get it right.!

The Tuscan galleys did not blockade. They were stationed just outside the port. Not blocking entry.

There were no Spanish transports. They were Merchant ships carrying goods to Rapallo. Those captains decided to turn back.

Be interesting to see what the Tuscans do next month.?
    Hapsburg
    Viscount
    Viscount

Post by Hapsburg Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:11 pm

I am sure the Grand Duke will confirm the Tuscan galleys' intentions next month.
    Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Marshal Bombast Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:12 pm

Game 10 arrived yesterday with The Elector of Saxony skipping over the King in Prussia to take first place on the Honour Table and the Akanthene jumping over the King of Portugal to make it into 8th position.

The biggest shock though was the Stadtholder taking 4th place from me. I mean you go quiet while sorting out international issues and someone just waltzes past stealing your glory! (all good fun and keeps me on my toes, I’ll have to plan something big for later 😊)

1. London saw Westminster Palace burn down and in true form some blame the Spanish and some don’t.

2. Lots of embassies closed this month, anyone would think there are bills to pay to local wigmakers coming soon. The winner was the Dutch Provinces who closed 6 embassies to Scotland’s 1, Denmark’s 1 and Austria’s 1. Perhaps closing embassies is a good way to climb the honour table?

3. Troops are still moving to return home or find better winter quarters, with Bordeaux, Dijon & Franche-Comte returning to French civic control.

4. Various Imperial states took different approaches to dropping trade tariffs ranging from yes to no. Seems like the Holy Roman Empire may be having as many issues agreeing an empire wide trade policy as the Ottoman’s had recently.

The Spanish let it be known that they didn’t invest as much this year as they could have done in an effort to help others recover their trade income.

Austria increased trade tariffs on Spanish merchants as did the Danish on Scottish merchants after it appeared that a Scottish Kidd had captured Danish merchant shipping.

5. I’ve lost the plot with respect to peace treaties but another one promoting peace between France and other nations appeared. Might be my translation department again but I doubt there’s any point in voting on this one.

6. Leipzig will see a Bank open next month offering a guarantee scheme for Saxon merchants.

7. Spain is boarding random merchant ships due to the extent of false flag activities and found a French smuggler. While Madrid saw the arrest of 3 Austrian Merchants on charges for spying or murder.

8. The city of Genoa saw various high level diplomatic exchanges with the city folk saying that the Tuscans are saving them and that they’ll never forget this.

9. Savoyard dragoons turned round 2 French regiments, sending them back to Spanish controlled Milan.

10. The Ottoman Sultan has announced his intention to go on pilgrimage within the empire. Hopefully he won’t come across the Maltese ships patrolling the coastline as he heads for Egypt.

There’s an interesting story about Sir Mortimer Cochrane who commanded the Pelican against the Ottoman’s, which may just be a story given the Pelican was, according to some, rumoured to now be part of Blackbeard’s fleet.

11. The Akanthene celebrated the final unity of the Great Akan Union and welcomed the Army of Akwamu to the ranks of the Greater Akan Union’s army. This was only overshadowed by the death of the Kontihene and a subsequent outbreak of disease in the army.

12. Quito saw Prince Chavez offer to surrender if a general amnesty was given but the Spanish General was intent to bring the prince back to Spain.

While this may seem a similar length to other write ups there is a lot more activity going on with this month’s paper being about 50% longer than last months at 31 pages so it seems like there are more players being more active now which can only be good for the game.

Hapsburg likes this post

jamesbond007
    King
    King

Post by jamesbond007 Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:34 am

Thanks for the write up as usual Marshsal. Very good of you to keep all enlightened.

You make a very good last point. There are more smaller nations and players in g10 than I have ever known in a game of Lgdr. Fantastic on one hand but perhaps another reason why every nations income in g10 seems lower than available income in other games of Lgdr.
    Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Marshal Bombast Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:24 am

jamesbond007 wrote:Thanks for the write up as usual Marshsal. Very good of you to keep all enlightened.

Cheers, it keeps me off the streets Smile

jamesbond007 wrote:You make a very good last point. There are more smaller nations and players in g10 than I have ever known in a game of Lgdr. Fantastic on one hand but perhaps another reason why every nations income in g10 seems lower than available income in other games of Lgdr.

Possibly part of it, I understand though that the trade areas grow which should increase the pool of income available for nations to share in.

If it's a percentage growth and given that I believe larger share nations would have to invest proportionally more to stay at their current position let alone increase their share. This should mean it's easier for a smaller nation to grow their trade income than a larger nation. Extrapolating to even if Spain had invested large sums of money from another nation as some assert then it would still be problematic for Spain to maintain that position as a one time injection has less and less effect as time goes on.

Generally one time injections don't happen and the outcome for Japan shows the issues with sending income abroad to the home player position. Russia's got plans for what to try with the Far East alcohol trade being dominated by Japan, so it'll be a good experiment for me to see how it goes.

To an extent then and in order to maintain that position larger share nations would have to keep investing their trade rather than spend the increased income on improvements etc, most of which could be knocked out by a war in that trade area or especially in their own lands. War with France will have affected trade confidence in Maritime Europe and Europe. Pirates in the Americas is likely having similar effects to a war there too. Rumblings of conflict in the Levant between Spain and Austria would have reduced merchant confidence there, probably further reducing incomes with the numbers of Ottoman players investing and moving up the trade report tables.

I'm finding it great to have multiple active Islamic positions in game as it's getting me to think more historically about all Russia's borders and having to make more strategic choices of what to do and where. Hopefully we can get more players to join the Ottoman team faction and really make an impact on the game's dynamics Smile

Hapsburg likes this post

jamesbond007
    King
    King

Post by jamesbond007 Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:01 am

Although trade areas grow. According to how many players are playing, but do they grow enough.? Some players are very skilled and they can grow their trade to very high numbers.

I do find it funny that Spain gets accused of great trade results due to Japanese money. Does anyone really believe that.? lol.

Good to see the Ottoman position played. A good game needs them. A good ruler may even unite them all under one banner. That would be potentially a threat to many. Would like to see that though. Rare these days to see a strong Ottoman position.
    Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Marshal Bombast Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:44 am

jamesbond007 wrote:Although trade areas grow. According to how many players are playing, but do they grow enough.? Some players are very skilled and they can grow their trade to very high numbers.

I trust Richard knows what he's doing to keep the game going and interesting but suspect each game has a different twist to it and G10 may be a bit harder to get the trade income, possibly due to reduced size trade area pools of income to share. Though as you say when it works, it works.

jamesbond007 wrote:I do find it funny that Spain gets accused of great trade results due to Japanese money. Does anyone really believe that.? lol.

I'd need to do some research in to the truth of the situation, assuming I had time given other pressing matters [see next turn]. When has the truth ever gotten in the way of TGOK propaganda though?

jamesbond007 wrote:Good to see the Ottoman position played. A good game needs them. A good ruler may even unite them all under one banner. That would be potentially a threat to many. Would like to see that though. Rare these days to see a strong Ottoman position.

Team play worked well with the Maritime Powers so far, but each country had their own sovereignty in this instance. With the Ottoman position, while each nation has its own sovereignty, not many want to be a Sultan if it meant leading a team I suspect, and not many would want another player telling them what to do. If a Sultan could enable different play styles and these weren't detrimental to the team approach I suspect the Ottoman's could be unstoppable, partly given ability for so many orders per turn due to number of players.

G10 has 2 active players, including the Sultan in Constantinople who comes across as wanting to work very well with other Ottoman positions. A couple of other Ottoman nations have boosted up in some trade areas so they may be quietly active. Wouldn't need many more for a full house around the Mediterranean Sea. Now seems a great time to give an Ottoman nation a go!
    Hapsburg
    Viscount
    Viscount

Post by Hapsburg Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:53 am

Thanks again Marshal and thank you for not reporting my gaff with the Doge of Venice! Yes, a larger newspaper due to a welcome increase in the number of players. I still print my turn results as easier to work on, but harder to staple this month lol. We all wish the new Ottoman player well, it’s a tricky position to take on and has been neglected since the start of the game.

We will never know the in-game trade mechanics, an Agema secret, but we all agree that trade expands, and contracts based on in-game events. And populations can only purchase a finite number of products, so vast trade investments undeniably saturate markets – there are only so many “general goods” you need.

I do find it funny that Spain gets accused of great trade results due to Japanese money. Does anyone really believe that.? lol.

Yes, experienced players do lol. Based on factual events, investigations, statements, and character interactions reported in the newspaper over the years. Well, you did ask the question.

Jason2 likes this post

Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Marshal Bombast Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:59 pm

Game 10 arrived showing minor changes on the Honour Table with the Stadtholder and Tsar swapping places. Portugal and Tuscany rose while the 2 African nations on there dropped

1. The European section of the paper has some positioning statements before the Trade Ministers conference in Amsterdam, which almost meant overlooking the unhappy Dutch farmers

2. France has begun the post war clear up, while more military forces left for their homelands.

12,001 Huguenots decided to move to a new homeland

3. Following high taxation on Spanish merchants in Austria, they’ve now found their trade outright banned in Austria, Naples and Sicily. The Spanish ambassador, possibly upset at missing comforts from home, closed up shop and left

Madrid meanwhile saw the Austrian ambassador expelled for spying and a 20% tax rate introduced to Austrian merchants in Spain

4. Leipzig saw the ‘Banco de Depositi’ opened right before many Easter celebrations were held across the week

5. Edinburgh saw parliamentary elections with Lord Melville being replaced by Lord Johnstone – not sure if this means a new player but welcome if so.

It’s thought Lord Melville stepped down following difficulties with Denmark, but not it seems before the Danish trade office staff were sent home.

6. Lisbon saw King John declare his thoughts on the title of Prince of Brazil, with the person who said he was the Prince deciding to make himself very scarce. Rumours were then abound as to who he was and where he went.

7. Russia sent her forces into the Polish Ukraine and Trieste and I should have remembered that whenever Russia goes to war it’s winter yet everywhere else is fine 😊

Still the Russian army seems better equipped for the weather than Prussia’s which left Danzig around the same time.

8. The Mediterranean section saw 4 Spanish, presumably, fireships sink and the French infantry in Milan refuse to sign up to the Spanish flag. Further Spanish disembarking was refused in Spezia.

Tuscany continued with its patrolling the Tuscan and Genoan shoreline area while diplomatic efforts continued between the 2 nations

For the first time this century the paper reported an Ottoman fleet as active around Malta and Tripoli.

9. Venice saw the law laid down on how to keep her nobility’s integrity and traditions alive, but at what a cost!

10. Slightly confused with the next diplomatic appointment but it seems a Spanish grandee has been appointed as ambassador to Venice for Austria?

11. The Akanthene having fulfilled the prophecy that spoke of the Akan speaking nations being reunited decided to step down and hand the reigns of power over to those he trusted the most. Walking away to his estates perhaps to sample some of the vintage wine produced this year.

Sorry to see you leave the game, you made an infrequently played area of the world come to life and you’ll be missed. Those who’ve not seen it do look at The Revenant’s separate post on the forum

12. The Sultan continued his pilgrimage to Mecca before finally moving out towards Cairo to meet the new Wali, probably next month

13. Changamire of the Rozwi made an announcement in Mozambique that he desires a crewed great ship to sail the seas in

14. The Chinese expedition to the Colombia river seems to be having a rough wet time but did manage to land foodstuffs at their new settlement

15. As Papa reported in the G7 thread there are 2 new rules detailed for Lightly laden carrying capacities and Supply patrols. Both coming into force in G10 in September 1707

Michael0 likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 6:51 pm