Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+14
Stuart Bailey
Richard D. Watts
Kingmaker
Basileus
Frank
The Hessian
Ardagor
Regor
Deacon
jamesbond007
baggins
Goldstar
tek_604
count-de-monet
18 posters

G7 - France vs. England

Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

G7 - France vs. England - Page 23 Empty Re: G7 - France vs. England

Post by Deacon Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:05 pm

Yes, mad as in furious.

I can see the roleplaying fun of playing a off-his-rocker monarch, but I think that would be a bit unfair to the existing players to come in and not play the position 'straight' as it were when much of the current politics revolves around these issues.

Though that does give me ideas if game 9 ever starts. Transplant mad ludwig to the 18th century? Very Happy
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2568
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:42 am

Hi Deacon,

I dont think you need to transplant Ludwig to the early 18 century a period already rich in Royal mad men.

No1 has to be Charles of Sweden who was mad as in mad and mad as in beserker. Philip of Spain is another but to achieve something like the effect of his bi-polar condition you would probably need to send in double orders when on a high, normal the next and then NMR and answer no letters when depressed.

The good news is that Wars (and oddly music) seem to have brought on Philips "highs".

While Philip was actually ill so trying to roll play the Character true to life may be considered to be in bad taste you could always try Peter the Great or Augustus the Strong who were both true Royal Eccentrics. Well I guess its not wise to call a 6' 7'' Giant with a warped sence of humour who can have you killed on the spot "nuts" even if he thinks building a city on a swamp is a good move.

Look forward to seeing how you play the Jacobites (Is London worth a Mass?). Current lack of active French government may actually help you to get away from the general view in G7 that the Jacobites are the black operations squadron of the French Navy.

But if you are leading the vanguard of the proposed pincer move on G7 from G8 & G3 does this now mean Regor, Jason & Asdagor are following the Van? And which one is going to take up the challenge of planting the Lilly Banners on London, Vienna, the Hague and Madrid?
    count-de-monet
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 379
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by count-de-monet Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:48 am

thats a 6' 7'' Giant with a warped sense of humour AND a fondness for the kind of vodka that could take the coppering off the bottom of a warship in less than 30 minutes Very Happy
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:04 pm

Sorry, I forgot to add true role players need to bring out the fact that Peter was a drunk and Augustus should be always played as being a bit worn out. Well to judge from the number of children he fathered he could not have got much sleep!

Have recieved Feb issue of Gloire du Roi and Deacon was not Kidding about his JEFS being mad (as in upset) !!! None of those dodgy Charles II type backroom deals for this Prince on the lines of give me the head of Churchill plus the throne and I will marry a nice Habsburg and take the Anglican communion to bring peace and justice to England. No what we got was:

1) The abolishment of the House of Parliament with all current Lords & Members of the House of Commons to be arrested. Well that should keep the English Civil War going!

2) An arrest warrant for a foriegn head of state (William of Orange......Stadtholder of the UDP)

3) Lots of abuse towards the House of Austria...........The House of Austria which seems to have spent month trying to disown its alliance with Protestant Regicides....... will no doubt be delighted to be battered in public and have the "King over the Water" promise eternal friendship with their hated France foes.

Or perhaps the Emperor and the Hapsburg chiefs will be happy with JEFS?Their original concern was that the Jacobites were French Poodles......Then the concern was that Churchill was going to betray them but now we seem to have the Jacobite Tail is wagging the French Dog and keeping the best of the French Commanders & 100,000 French troops in England while the House of Austria takes its losses back.

And as the RKL has pointed out in the past.........If the Emperor cared about England rather than getting back his lost lands why are Austrian troops not in England?

Question for the new French Government is probably going to have to answer is what is more important to France........a Jacobite on the Throne of England or Franche-Comte? Please send answers on a post card or by e.mail to Agema.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:25 pm

I guess it depends a lot upon how right RKL is about his ability to handle both fronts, and whether now Richard agrees with him, being he is Louis for the moment.

Post by Guest Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:40 pm

Deacon wrote:I guess it depends a lot upon how right RKL is about his ability to handle both fronts, and whether now Richard agrees with him, being he is Louis for the moment.

Not entirely, as I'm not Louis any more. In the last couple of months Richard seems to have a rather original (and very inactive) way of playing France!

Without any more details, it is hard to comment, though I hope you have realised from back issues of the Herald and my comments on the forum that my policy towards England was always one of winning over the disgruntled majority, seeking to subdue rather than conquer. Perhaps I misjudged the desire to avoid another civil war in England! I sought to dispel fears of an absolute monarch in England in favour of one modelled more on Charles II. This, I thought, would be more acceptable to the people and still retained a role for Parliament. That policy seems to have failed, though, so perhaps you'll have more success.

I would still have been somewhat reluctant to blame Parliament rather than Churchill for your father's murder. That way you would retain the support in Parliament which your father enjoyed and which the more moderate elements could rally behind. Until last month it looked like this support was enough to get the treaties passed by both houses, so a majority therefore accepted you as King on those moderate terms. But, I'm sure you have your reasons and I don't want to get drawn in to comment further without reading first hand what has happened.

A death warrant for William seems reasonable, as does attacks on the Hapsburgs. I would also expect you to gain backing from the Pope (if you ask for it) which would have more serious consequences for France/Austria. The initiative is now no longer with France or Austria, but with the Pope. As stated previously I do not see how Austria can continue to attack France given Leopold's consistent argument that he was doing so to support William's claim on England, not for any other reason. Of course in the game Leopold will make things up as he goes along and is quite capable of changing his stance to deciding he wants to grab French territory instead - the alternative of withdrawing from France on the orders of the Pope would be a most bitter blow for him. If the Pope was to order Austria to withdraw from France and break its alliance with William, then if Richard is being consistent in following the way I played France, I would have accepted the will of the Pope. After all, the primary reason I backed the Jacobite cause in 1701 following a letter from the then player was to bring French policy in line with Papal wishes, which was subsequently rewarded by the Pope agreeing to sell Ancona to France.

Under the treaties you would have to request the support of France just to leave the French commanders in no doubt where their duty lies. If I was still France then I would be ordering the destruction of the English navy in the Humber (assuming it refused to surrender to you), the seizure of all towns/areas where French troops are still stationed (which gives you 70-80% of English territory) and then support a massed assault on London with overwhelming naval power (a few French galliot fleets and a blockade should remind the heretics how hot hell is for murderers). Any troops loyal to Churchill would have to leave London or be destroyed, and once he quits London he's lost.

Somehow I think there are rather a lot of Englishmen who regret not dealing with the much more reasonable King Louis. Pity they couldn't see past the propaganda!

Post by Guest Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:59 pm

A new French puppet in the making eh? Rolling Eyes Lol

Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:58 pm

Deacon wrote:I guess it depends a lot upon how right RKL is about his ability to handle both fronts, and whether now Richard agrees with him, being he is Louis for the moment.

Are you sure this quote should not read "I guess it depends a lot upon how right RKL is about the ability of the French War Machine to handle four fronts, and whether now Richard/New French Govt agrees with him"

In theory its easy.......Army of the Rhine & Army of the South use use interior lines to win war in France and smash Austrian Invaders and their Allies. Army of the North & Fleet with their Jacobite allies smash anti English Factions and the Dutch. Bring back Veterans from England for final drive to victory bringing the multi headed hydra of the House of Austria bay in its Vienna lair. "Simples" what could go wrong? (Ok who coughed and said Spain?).

I say send for Ragnor.........after "Bloodngutz" he has loads of practice at getting French Armies across defended river lines!
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:37 am

Ha! now the shoe's on the other foot. You get to critique my moves and I have to stay silent and let the paper and the game do the talking.

I have my reasons (which may or may not be good ones!)

Post by Guest Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:27 am

Looks like I better go and buy more popcorn, G7 is going to remain a fun one to watch Smile
    Regor
    Regor
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 350
    Registration date : 2010-02-15

Post by Regor Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:41 am

NOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooo.....! Shocked How can you guys do this to me? I've been v busy for the past 14 days and have only read the newspaper on a mobile phone. Now I read here that the issues I thought had moved in one direction have now rotated again!

Brilliant. Very Happy

Jason, grab some popcorn for me: in game I think I'll visit China - even Japan will be less fraught than poor old Europe.

Stuart - neat slip of the "pen" I'd love to be Ragnor Twisted Evil but wouldn't that need me to have my eye clawed out? As for BnG: I recall we won? But oh, all those glorious guardsmen I had killed..... Crying or Very sad

My challenge to you all (et Msr Watts) is go on then, make next month even more enthralling!

And I think that includes you RKL. bom
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:27 am

Deacon,

No criticism from me about how you are playing James III of England. In the circumstances he has every reason to be upset and go for Catholic Absolutism or bust!

Quite clearly James is morally right to condemn not only the Protestant Killers of his father but also all those trimmers, & fudgers like the HWIC & the Hapsburgs who want him to abandon the restoration of the true faith and divine right for dodgy deals with Protestant Heretics.

I much prefer a nice clean split - Englishmen having to actually decide if they are loyal to their true King or their Anglican Faith and Parliament. Its funny watching people who have spent years trying to avoid the issue being forced to face it head on.

If its such good politics from the Jacobites ????? I think this will need lots of pop corn to answer.

As for the new French Government........it would seem the fudge option is out. Your Ally and Honour calls upon you to smash the English & the Dutch Very Happy

The fact you are already fighting round XXXI of your eternal struggle with the House of Hapsburg...........who cares? Are you mice or French Hero's? In the words of Regor/Ragnor "Today is a good day to lose a eye"
    Regor
    Regor
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 350
    Registration date : 2010-02-15

Post by Regor Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:37 pm

Aye, Stuart - now hum the theme tune in your head - I promise you it will stay there for hours and hours LOL and this might prevent you being quite so controversial and pot stirring.

Meanwhile what about the Swedes and the Russians - how do you see that playing out?

And the Sons offering to run a peace conference!

This is an awesome conversation. Stay safe
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:16 pm

Oh no its Rob Roy MacRegor !!

"Controversial & pot stirring" Me ??????????? I think my style is more gentle whimsey brought on by having to watch the rain when I should be playing cricket.

For info I think the Swedes hit the Czar too early.........I would have waited for the Czar to have actually invaded Austria then I would have hit attempted to hit St Petersburg from my Finnish bases and burnt the heart out of Russia from St Petersburg to Moscow and back before the main Russian Armies could leave Austria.

As it is Raval is a impressive tactical victory but all its going to do in the long run is really, really annoy the Czar & his hordes. Poor lads have marched all the way to Kiev expecting to see (and loot) the fleshpots of Vienna, Prague, Budapest etc and now they have to march all the way home famous in nursey rhyms as:

"The Grand Old Czar of Russia,
    He had 100,000 men,
    He marched them to Kiev,
    And then he marched them home again."

To defeat Russia in the long run the Swedes either needed to fight hard in 1700 and keep the Russians out of the Baltic/Building Fleet. Now to stand a chance they need either Polish or even better Ottoman allies.

Charles of Sweden plus the new Grand Vizier attempting to "Chain the Bear" and save Eastern Europe from forced Vodka drinking and endless meetings about Oxthodox Dogma.............I say bring it on Very Happy

Even if it does put young love in a difficult position in Moldavia. Wonder who the Prince of Moldavia is really loyal too if push comes to shove? His overlord? Or the new in laws?

As for a peace conferance in Yorktown........I agree 100% with the Marquis de Bridgemont. If the Emperor agreed it was only because he is getting on a bit and his hearing is a bit weak after all the hunting and thought they said York. Towne

Post by Guest Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:31 pm

Well, I'm impressed! Thanks to some kind soul sending me a copy of the newsletter I've been able to read the detail for myself.

Deacon - I take my hat off to you and begin to see what you are doing. You have a rock solid case and are prepared to state it forcibly. If only I could afford to return to the game as France it would be a pleasure to support a player who values honour as much as I do.

As to the Spanish/Austrian manoeuvrings, I can only laugh. Rather presumptious of Austria/Spain to announce they want Franche-Comte as part of a peace agreement with France. Personally I don't see how Austria can demand any gains from its attack on France given not just its manner (breaking the treaty), but its indirect effect (the death of King James). The only honourable course is for Austria to withdraw and do some public act of penance. The trouble is only just beginning for Austria as we saw from the hit to his honour and the opinions of his own nobles. I did chuckle at the actions of Vivaldi, as I'm sure do others who remember how keen Leopold was to grab Bach from Prussia earlier in the game.

If Spain does declare war on Churchill that would be a game changer! Though how he can fight against Austria/UDP over England and for Austria/UDP over France is a conundrum which might even puzzle that exceptionally fine player! Perhaps we might see Spain split into Bourbon and Hapsburg factions as it was at the start of the game, with the Bourbons fighting for Catholicism and honour, whilst the Hapsburgs fight for selfish family interests? Now that would be a game changer!

It seems that at last, Leopold had some bad luck, namely that the Austrian ambassador was in the room when the murder happened. This will always be exploited by King James and is unanswerable. Just as it is wrong to kill a king, so it was wrong to break a treaty and attack France. This is Austria's Achilles heel - it always has been and always will be. Any gains from dishonourable acts (be they murder or breaking treaties) are equally unjust, so I do not see that Austria has any alternative but to withdraw from France, apologise for her dishonourable actions, and do public penance. If she did that, then I can see a future French government being generous and accepting that in the interests of the Church, France should not attack a discredited Austria. Better that Leopold should live with shame than waste Catholic lives.

However, I suspect it would take many months of falling honour and diplomatic outrage for this to sink in, with the Hapsburgs digging themselves a deeper hole each month until it does! If Leopold (and their Catholic allies) sacrifice their souls to worldly gain by continuing their attacks on France, they will lose the support of Catholic states within the HRE and outside. What price then unifying the empire?

Post by Guest Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:45 pm

Thanks for that bit of an update RKL.

I might regret saying this, but G7 is becoming just too fascinating...I might need a chat with the bank manager... Wink
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:49 pm

Jason wrote:Thanks for that bit of an update RKL.

I might regret saying this, but G7 is becoming just too fascinating...I might need a chat with the bank manager... Wink

Come on in, the water's fine*!

*By fine I mean, shark infested.

Post by Guest Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:56 pm

Deacon wrote:
    Jason wrote:Thanks for that bit of an update RKL.

Come on in, the water's fine*!

*By fine I mean, shark infested.

The other half keeps telling me sharks get a bad press Wink I'll just have to buy shark-repellent spray Very Happy
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:28 pm

And Ferret-away. Don't forget the Ferret-away as there is quite the colony...

Post by Guest Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:31 pm

I shall deploy the Royal Corps of Meerkats against them...
    count-de-monet
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 379
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by count-de-monet Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:17 pm

"The Grand Old Czar of Russia,
    He had 100,000 men,
    He marched them to Kiev,
    And then he marched them home again."

The Russian Army has a new and very apt theme song.
    Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 458
    Registration date : 2011-07-01

Post by Basileus Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:38 pm

Well I still havent received my turn yet, snail mail still, plus Bank Holidays arent going to get it to me any time soon. But RKL - I am conquering France, like it or not, and however much you think I should give up, aint going to happen. Not certain what happened but I can lose lots of musicians etc. I've lost lots of honour, money, troops and heaven knows what - and the reason I did it was because the honourable thing for Austria to do was to help to protect England from the un reasonable French attack - because it was a long time ago and RKL you have claimed that this war was because you were supporting the Jacobites you think some of us have forgotten but you started it over the dredgers and it was an excuse in order to attack England. So all this talk about you being the honourable one and the rest of us on the other side not being honourable is just tedious.

Post by Guest Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:44 pm

It is never honourable to break a treaty. I'm amazed after so long you still don't recognise that. Just keep digging that hole, though, if it makes you feel better. I hope your turn arrives soon.

Post by Guest Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:36 am

Interesting to note is that the Concorde and Ascension were signed between France and James Stuart the younger as 'king'. Are they valid, in the opinions of the pro-French players/commentators given that The Younger was not king, in any sense of the word, at that point? His father, James II, was the self proclaimed (or rightful depending on your angle) king as at Sept 04 when he crowned himself in England.

Post by Guest Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:50 am

That is a good question which I think I answered before.

Yes - because:
    1. If (as it now appears) King James the elder was crowned in 1704, then he was King and accepted by Churchill and Parliament at the time the Concorde and Accession documents were passed into law.
    2. The documents specified King James b.1688.
    3. As the player points out in his statement in the Herald, he needs no additional coronation and succeeds his father following his murder.
    4. By killing King James the elder the succession was already confirmed by those documents.

I can see what you are trying to argue, but such an argument collapses because of the unique situation whereby King James the elder was the reigning King from 1685. If restored (as appears to have happened) then his authority is simply affirmed due to his earlier coronation. Historically he never accepted he had abdicated, and by their actions in recognising him again, Parliament were clearly of that opinion as well.

Clearly when you murdered King James you expected it to end the Jacobite claim, thinking it was King James b.1688 who had died. If you had killed that King James then you would have a much stronger case.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 5:39 am