Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+14
Stuart Bailey
Richard D. Watts
Kingmaker
Basileus
Frank
The Hessian
Ardagor
Regor
Deacon
jamesbond007
baggins
Goldstar
tek_604
count-de-monet
18 posters

G7 - France vs. England

Ardagor
    Ardagor
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 427
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

G7 - France vs. England - Page 13 Empty Re: G7 - France vs. England

Post by Ardagor Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:08 pm

A bit confusing at the moment but it certainly appear so.
    Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 458
    Registration date : 2011-07-01

Post by Basileus Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:15 pm

Thanks for letting me know Smile

Post by Guest Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:33 pm

Certainly it would have a Jacobite king. But in a way, doesn't it still have a Prodesdant king too? The next few turns will be interesting. That's for sure.

And what of the people? Civil war? Could we see France now engaged in remaining in England after all?

And what about Europe? England was/is obviously in no position to even rid itself of an enemy force, let alone support an invasion of France.

And what will Russia do? And Austria? And Spain? And everyone with an interest?

And and and...

Of the three games I'm in, this is certainly the most soap-opera'ish.

When in doubt ask yourself, what would Dot Cotton do?
    Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Basileus Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:00 pm

I am fairly certain Dot Cotton would have a cigerette and say "invade France" Shocked
    count-de-monet
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 379

Post by count-de-monet Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:34 am

This is certainly a great game at the moment,

And with some selfish attention to detail it looks as if the Great Northern War has begun in a bit of earnest at last....the Swedes have finally moved militarily in an aggressive manner. Not totally clear from newspaper reports but I have received additional informaiton via my inteligence network.

Cant wait to see the next moves in England. A Catholic King on the throne now, and an active English player that is now, possibly, pro-French.

Post by Guest Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:43 am

Basileus wrote:I am fairly certain Dot Cotton would have a cigerette and say "invade France" Shocked

Dot Cotton vs. Pat Butcher - The Battle of Leviathans!
    The Hessian
    Lord
    Lord

Number of posts : 85
    Registration date : 2010-09-28

Post by The Hessian Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:05 am

Has the swede actually attacked? Actually is it the same player ? as that position has been so quiet for so long. Mind you the Count de Monet as russia should know whats going on. That is interesting, what are the Turks doing...now that would be interesting.

As for France ....invade and burn the place down particularly Versailles. Soo ostentatious.

Post by Guest Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:06 pm

Now that things may have ( we've yet to see what happens ) calmed down with France and England, is there a chance that France & Russia vs. Austria et al. will end in peace? Given the reasons for war as I recall them, there could be the chance now to call peace. France has gotten what she wanted, Austria's cause has been fulfilled and Russia must be keen to pursue her Northern War? England will be looking to recover and address the SOL issue.

I see a certain irony that with the Humber blocked its now England that will need a dredger mission.

Without wanting to start any out of game argument, could anyone post the Austrian and French terms?

Post by Guest Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:09 pm

Also, if England has become Catholic what is the effect on the balance of power? Seemingly now it would need to be Aligned to Bourbon or Hapsburg (and I'd wager that Hapsburg would be the sensible choice).
    Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1673

Post by Kingmaker Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:20 pm

I would imagine that even though England has a protestant King he will have to box cleaver the population are mainly Protestant so he cannot afford to pee them off by siding with France (Englands natural enemy) as he would then face a possible civil war!
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1239
    Registration date : 2012-02-16

Post by J Flower Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:38 pm

What role do the English Parliment play in this whole Soap Opera, there has been lots about the changing of Kings but surely they must be sanctioned by Parliment. It could also be the rallying point for those opposed to a pro Catholic Monarch
    count-de-monet
    Duke
    Duke

Post by count-de-monet Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:18 pm

I want to be careful what I type because 1) I have a biased opinion and 2) it might infringe on game rules but at a basic level if King James Stuart IS the recognised King, even though the new English player is the Duke of Marlborough (who remember was accused of having Jacobite tendencies) James owes his allegiance to France for their support.

I would suggest that the Duke of Marlborough will find things very tough if he suggests to King James that England sides with the Hapsburgs...they were fighting to protect King William !!

It would though make a wonderfully crazy game take another amazing twist
    count-de-monet
    Duke
    Duke

Post by count-de-monet Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:19 pm

Oh, and personally I hope this is the catalyst to give a new England player a chance to get his teeth stuck into England free of trouble and peace returns to Europe.

My hope as the expression goes is probably two-fold...no hope and Bob Hope
    Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1673

Post by Kingmaker Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:14 pm

also envelope....
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:56 am

count-de-monet wrote:I want to be careful what I type because 1) I have a biased opinion and 2) it might infringe on game rules but at a basic level if King James Stuart IS the recognised King, even though the new English player is the Duke of Marlborough (who remember was accused of having Jacobite tendencies) James owes his allegiance to France for their support.

I would suggest that the Duke of Marlborough will find things very tough if he suggests to King James that England sides with the Hapsburgs...they were fighting to protect King William !!

It would though make a wonderfully crazy game take another amazing twist

I have interacted a fair bit the the Jacobite King in game 3, and my guess is that the English player will have to take something of a similar line, which is to focus more on 'religious liberty' and downplay the catholicism. I don't think the king will have a ton of freedom to go off and make too much of any catholic alliance without risking rebellion.

Though, who knows? This may well tie to the other thread! If the Jacobite works hard to raise honour, then maybe he will be able to get away with more stuff!

The Hessian
    Lord
    Lord

Post by The Hessian Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:32 pm

It will be very interesting how successfully France can extricate itself from England. marlborough is very vulnerable to a savage protestant officer lead ripost by both navy and Army leadership. let alone the protestant majority of thecountry. Louis has to support james but if military support is french boots on the ground that could cause so much more problems by their mere presence.King William is somewhere in England and so is Ex King james. Constitutional conundrum...interesting times.

Post by Guest Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:06 pm

I agree. I think Marlborough has done the right thing in biting the bullet. Someone had to do it as England couldn't remove the French by force. But he will need to distance himself from what he's done quickly, and whatever his long term plans, they can't include the French forces remaining on English soil.

As for Austria and France, I don't think it's too late for peace but with too strong personalities so opposed it may need another Marlborough to take the plunge. And that could be a long time in coming?
    The Hessian
    Lord
    Lord

Post by The Hessian Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:11 pm

Unfortunately France will never give in unless all his demands are met and having you own head chopped off by your son is not likely to encourage the Austrian to the bargaining table. Spain has put a treatise togehter which Austria has agreed to but France declared war so another wasted opportunity. Sadly looks like Louis will only diplome genuinely when allied troops are marching up versailles boulevard! and even then Im not sure he will agree.

Post by Guest Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:10 pm

Loosing ones head is never very agreeable Shocked

Do you know which Herald that treaty and the Spanish one was in?
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2571
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

G7 - France vs. England - Page 13 Empty Yea Olde Soap Nov 1705

Post by Stuart Bailey Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:18 am

In this months manic program:

The struggle to become landlord of the Merry England became even more confused. Dutch Boy William claims to own the deeds, Wee Jimmy Stuart claims it's his because it used to belong to his Dad and more importantly "The Big Bad" says its his. And now we have new kid on the block Johnny Churchill putting in a claim.

Johnny Churchill, Williams ex bouncer in chief seems to have deserted the Dutch Boy and is .seeking a deal with "The Big Bad" and his side kick. Where-by Wee Jimmy Stuart is acknowleged as Freeholder but then leases the Merry England to Johnny on a pepper-corn rent. Some how this hack does not tsee this plan going down well with the regulars or wee Jimmy who wants to run the Merry, not let it out to an ex toy boy of Uncle Charles girlfriend!

Elsewhere, and rather spoiled by events concerning the Merry England, the Duchess somehow got all the Habsburgs Clan lined up and agreeing to sign the treaty of Brussels. Its believed she may have hidden their moonshine to get Pa and Carlos to sign.

"The Big Bad" responded to the treaty of Brussels with a declaration of War! No mere female says to the "Big Bad" what he can and can not do!!

"The Big Bad" plans are believed to count on the active support of trapper Pete. Unfortunately Trapper now seems to being having problems in the top field. He also seems more interested in hitting the communion vodka/seeking the holy spirit with his Orthodox Ottoman drinking buddies. Quite what the Sultan & GV will say wheb they find out how much drinking is going on in the Ottoman Empire is anyones guess.

Finally, hopes that the Crown Prince of Portugal might be just a little bit macho flopped. The Boys in Brazil will not be at all happy if they find out their King to be prefers poetry to riding, shooting, Red Heads and Latino girls!

Post by Guest Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:59 pm

What would be interesting is if Churchill ignores the Jacobite/Williamite issue and creates a very Nationalist England - perhaps taking this as a chance to remove monarchy as a whole in England.

What would Europe do?

Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Basileus Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:03 pm

I think the opportunity for peace now that matters have changed in England was determined by France's declaration of war.
    To answer Albreda, the terms of the peace brokered by the Spanish Netherlands would have been in Octobers newsletter. Fundementally it built on previous Spanish peace proposals. I dont think Louis still wants Leopolds head chopped off by Carlos of Spain, but he has never clearly said this, just said that his language and comments were inappropiate (in reality I think Louis does really want this but knows he went too far in demanding this Suspect )
    Strangely I think that Louis really does want peace but when he sends letters discussing this he just ends up using inflamatory and insulting language and through his nature is locked into continuous war because he cant just say "lets have peace" which is rather ironic. Well thats my two pennyworth. So I suspect this will run and run which hopefully makes good reading for other players. My inherent nature would be to seek peace but I think its not going to happen. - Just my views or what has previously been put in the newsletter.
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1239
    Registration date : 2012-02-16

Post by J Flower Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:08 am

As someone not in Game 7 (yet) I must say I agree with Basileus comment this thread has definatly to date made interesting and at time entertaining reading. Long may it continue.

It seems to have more twisty turns than a twisty turny thing.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2571
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:46 pm

I was just wondering if the Hapsburgs accept Louis terms to end the war and Carlos of Spain cuts his old Dad's head off does he get to inherit the Austrian Lands?

Historically Charles the No2 son in 1700 became Emperor following the death of his father and Elder brother without issue.........assume in G7 the Emperor and elder son are still feeling well?

Execute father but become HRE.........wonder if that puts honour up or down?

Finally if Charles Hapsburg did execute Leopold Hapsburg to end current war and inherited would the French then declare war to keep European balance of Power?

Post by Guest Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:00 pm

Basileus wrote:I don't think Louis still wants Leopold's head chopped off by Carlos of Spain, but he has never clearly said this, just said that his language and comments were inappropriate.

If you had ever bothered to read the comment in context, you would have realised it was made in reference to Spain sorting out the errant Hapsburg (Leopold). Whether Charles chopped off his head or not was irrelevant (no one took that seriously, except the Hapsburgs who fed it into their propaganda machine). The point was that any peace deal would have had to have been brokered by Spain because Leopold broke the last deal so blatantly. This is still something you don't accept was wrong, yet it is your action in this which completely destroyed trust between France and Austria. In all my years of playing various games of LGDR, I know of no other instance of a ruler making a treaty with the objective of deliberately and unnecessarily breaking it a few months later. In any case the comment was withdrawn, it was apologised for, both publicly and in private, but you were so busy trying to twist what was said that you failed to notice.

Basileus wrote:Strangely I think that Louis really does want peace but he can't just say "lets have peace".

This was covered yet again in the letter you should have received from me this month. I never wanted war with Austria - you attacked me! So please don't keep trying to make out that I am the one preventing peace. The only proposals you seem prepared to accept would require me to break my own treaty with King James and alter what are now established facts in the game. They are not serious attempts at peace, merely designed to prolong the wars so you can burn down more French towns. I judge you by what you do, not what you say. If you want to end the Austrian war then the first step is to accept the elements contained in the French Declaration of War published last month. If readers of this thread would like it reprinted here, then they only have to request it.

Basileus wrote:When he sends letters discussing this he just ends up using inflammatory and insulting language.
    I have many letters from you, other Hapsburgs and your not-so-secret allies which are far more insulting than anything I have sent you. I have also seen copies of extracts of letters your allies have sent to other players in which the terms you describe France and me are far worse. You seem to consider anything to be insulting if it doesn't fit whichever propaganda line you are spreading that month. 18 months of spite has got you nowhere other than poisoning the atmosphere of the game and (by the evidence from my postbag) and upsetting many other players. To give just one example from this month, one of your not-so-secret allies wrote to me "I keep informing her that the French are the historic foes of the Hapsburgs, the evil allies of Turks, heretics and the anti-Christ, but she believes you are misunderstood! The woman is wearing rose-tinted glasses and has probably been drinking too much of her own beer." And what was Countess Mary's crime? Oh yes, she dared to produce her own peace proposals to try and avoid her own country being dragged into your war. Clearly her initiative had not been previously discussed by HQ before it was issued!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 4:10 am