Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+14
Stuart Bailey
Richard D. Watts
Kingmaker
Basileus
Frank
The Hessian
Ardagor
Regor
Deacon
jamesbond007
baggins
Goldstar
tek_604
count-de-monet
18 posters

G7 - France vs. England

J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1239
    Registration date : 2012-02-16

G7 - France vs. England - Page 33 Empty Re: G7 - France vs. England

Post by J Flower Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:49 pm

I Guess the waiting for the next turn has made us all a bit jumpy.

Post by Guest Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:50 pm

Me? mad? Regor, I'll have you know I'm as sane as the next man...
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1239
    Registration date : 2012-02-16

Post by J Flower Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:16 am

Baa

Post by Guest Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:01 pm

Ok...the next, next man...

Post by Guest Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:44 pm

What will the future hold?

If KJ defeats JC (that's John Churchill, not Jesus Christ Very Happy ) then could we one day see a Grand Catholic Alliance? Could England's people become predominantly Catholic one day?

Has anyone ever attempted to change the religion of their position's population from one to another before? Is that why we have the rule on taking over administration of the church?

Post by Guest Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:52 pm

HMMMM...declaring war on the Son of God...now there's an idea... Twisted Evil

Post by Guest Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:03 pm

It'd be a new angle - I'd wager that even the RJC would think twice about killing The 'Real' JC. Laughing

Although....you never know.... It'd certainly unite the Catholic Powers...and give the Ottomans some breathing room.

Post by Guest Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:33 pm

I dunno, what's the phrase..."Godless English" Wink

Post by Guest Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:12 pm

Haha. I'll await that headline in the Herald.
    Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 458
    Registration date : 2011-07-01

Post by Basileus Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:04 pm

Englands getting a bit confusing at the moment. Does anyone have a clear synopsis of who controls what? I rather like the Puritan Republicans in East Anglia(thats me, not my game persona), the Jacobins dont seem to be doing any fighting but do seem to be gathering a Highland Army in Scotland, Williamites seem to recovering what they can, but which way are the dissertions going; left to right or right to left Arrow , whilst the Frenchies seem to be digging in Exclamation
    Regor
    Regor
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 350
    Registration date : 2010-02-15

Post by Regor Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:54 pm

Well, this is what I think the Williamites and the Sons are ini the driving seat at present. They are not too sure who their allies are or who they can trust/convert to allied status. These are putting pressure on the French and the Jacobites whose shilly-shallying has allowed the Williamites to gather rather more control than they had...

Moreover France has not stopped Austria from pillaging, well France!

Anyhow war-wearyness seems to be taking hold with towns declaring for no-one and various units deserting. Heaven knows what the guys honour scores are....

I don't know what anyone is actually planning but the temptation must be for Louis to place his units in England at the Disposal of James. This seems to make sense looking back at the games history. Meanwhile William and the Sons should keep them apart and carry on... looks like its a plan!

France should then stop worrying about peace at any cost: Use its huge fleet to protect its trade and continue to neuter the English fleet in Hull (No bargaining there anymore!) - or engage it now its escaped. France should then fight Austria tooth and nail to win a better peace! (And by that I mean diplomatically as well - surely France's support for a Catholic pretender in England is worth the Pope's and Catholic Europe's wordy assistance?

Well there it is: Only my opinion! Glad none of it is my problem. This mess will take years to resolve!

Post by Guest Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:21 pm

Having now seen a copy of the latest (May) newspaper, I can understand Basileus' confusion! It does seem unclear which parts of England are declaring for which character and with what objective. However, it perhaps becomes a little clearer when this month’s news is linked to that from previous months.

In England, Churchill’s position is untenable for several reasons:

He first recognised King James, then murdered his father, alienating both sides and polarising Europe. One consequence of this is that various characters have appeared (such as Sir Christopher Myngs and possibly the Duke of Ormonde) who are likely to be spies controlled by other players. These players have their own agendas reinforced by propaganda and are likely to be deliberately obstructing RJC for their own ends. So RJC is not only fighting King James, but factions who could well appear to be supporting him in words, though not in deeds. Trying to make any sense of this must be very hard on the player. It also means that he will be tied up trying to submit orders some of which will be undone or contradicted by these various characters beyond his control. It may be more obvious to RJC than to others, but it is clear that England is not under his control any more. Instead it is being used as a political football by other nations. I do not include France among these nations: as usual, France has the moral high ground. RJC made a settlement with France, though with some of his troops attacking French troops, perhaps in defiance of their orders, it appears that the agreement is being strained. France appears to be honourably holding to that agreement whilst negotiations with King James are taking place. However, it appears naïve to assume that France can conclude positive negotiations with King James that are not to the disadvantage of RJC, and consequently it would make more sense for France to at least contain RJC’s forces so that the relative strength of the position he inherited does not decline during this period of negotiation. That, as Regor suggests requires a greater use of the French navy, though I am not convinced of his suggestion to transfer control of troops to King James. There is no evidence that France is struggling to get military orders done, but then that is perhaps because there is no evidence such orders have been issued! The new player for France may not be aware that previous standing orders permitted French troops to defend themselves when challenged. Of course this may have changed in the 6 months since I left the game, but it would have been a very odd order to have rescinded during a time of open hostilities. If by accident rather than design RJC’s forces have broken the agreements with France then France is obliged to respond.

In Parliament, RJC has a slightly different set of problems based around one simple flaw: his core argument does not stand up to rational analysis. As demonstrated by the statement King James made, you cannot remove the subject of the treaties from their object. Despite protestations to the contrary, William has no legitimacy in England. And the more players (I will not describe them as nations, for some are not) who interfere in the conflict, the harder it will be for all to figure out who has the upper hand. They are trying to debate different issues whilst denying the legitimacy of the argument their counterparties are making. The result, understandably is paralysis and confusion among the voting. And when there is such confusion, gentlemen of honour look to their own consciences for guidance. With this, what we are starting to see is fascinating.

The Duke of Somerset, a senior Anglican noble, has decided he can no longer support RJC. I am reluctant to read too much into this because there is a history of hatred between RJC and Somerset. However, if this is a symptom of what is to come then clearly RJC is in trouble. If your army is 70% loyal, but you subdivide it into sections, some of which may be only 40% loyal, then you are exposing yourself to huge risks. The Williamites have never understood the strength of support which the Jacobites had in England. Certain parts of the country (mainly the old Catholic parts which includes the North and Yorkshire, the NW, SW and isolated pockets in the south) were very supportive and the martyrdom of King James has given them a banner to rally behind. Wales also had a loyal and traditional Catholic population at this time. I am a little surprised that King James has not enlisted the support of local Catholic martyrs from the 1500s. In York (which rather oddly has now changed back to William) we have St.Margaret Clitheroe, in Rochester Bishop Fisher. There are also several examples of popular risings in favour of the old religion such as the Pilgrimage of Grace. Although many major noble Catholic families turned recusant or were dispossessed of their lands, people forget that the southern squires remained solidly Catholic albeit unwilling to go against the major Lords who held power in their counties. Quite how much of this will be brought out in the game remains to be seen. The point I am making is that the religious map of England at this time is full of surprises which astute players could make use of.

It is also significant that in Scotland the Highland Clans have mobilised. It is unclear who they are supporting, but historically they were loyal to King James. It appears as though the Presbyterians who are in power in Scotland will be challenged by the Clans who historically wiped the floor with them! Ireland is still loyal to King James and it appears as though the people of Ireland are somewhat unforgiving of Spain’s attitude, blaming Spain for not recognising King James earlier and rallying to the cause.

Meanwhile a few Lincolnshire puritans have taken to the streets. I do not consider this particularly serious – Protestants are always protesting about something, hence the label! King James has declared religious toleration for all, so presumably that includes puritans; if they don’t like it then the historical course was to resettle in the Americas.

Parallels between England and Austria
    There is one further observation I feel obliged to make. Leopold has made the quite outrageous claim in the Herald that he is no longer fighting France because of England, but because of France’s declaration of war on Austria just before I left. This claim has been treated with the contempt it deserves by his own nobles and by the Pope.

France’s statement detailed the justification France had to declare war on Austria, namely that in addition to breaking his peace treaty with France, Leopold has broken several clauses of the Treaty of Westphalia. Austria immediately rejected French claims that she was in breach of the Treaty of Westphalia, so she cannot have it both ways: either France’s claims were true and Austria is in breach of the treaties, or they are unfounded. For Leopold to suggest a 3rd option seems to be logically impossible without in some way admitting guilt. This is certainly the view of the Pope and the majority of Austrian nobles. Just as RJC has found himself in an indefensible position through his own actions, so Leopold has by his own desperation.

During the time she was claiming to be at war over England, Austria claimed she wanted nothing for herself or her allies, yet now demands territory and cash worth many millions of pounds. On what grounds? It is simple extortion. To grab lands she has no claim to and expect France to buy some of them back is to make a mockery of historical norms and behaviours of the time and expected in the game. Austria should be paying France damages for breaking her treaties, not demanding payment from France to allow her to continue breaking those treaties! The victims do not pay criminals to continue to commit crimes against them!

Meanwhile once again we have seen that despite claiming to want peace, Austria makes war on France by taking towns to destroy their infrastructure and damage France's economy. If the new player for France considered that much of the spite generated by this campaign was personal between Leopold and me, then he has surely been made to see that it was not. Instead we have a clear pattern: Austria will continue to act in an aggressive manner against all nations, to plunder and pillage at will. Leopold’s word means nothing. The only justification for continuing to attack whilst pretending to ‘negotiate’ is to seek to extract even more humiliating terms from France. Leopold should be paying France damages as the wronged party, instead of demanding territory and cash worth many millions of pounds, and this remains the case however outlandishly he dresses up his claims.

Leopold started the war dishonourably and he has continued to fight it by making war on civilians. He has been condemned by the Church, his own nobles and many neutral or non-aligned nations. None of this seems to make a blind bit of difference to him. He is establishing a reputation, but not one which will do him any credit if he seeks a long term future in the game.

It is instructive that we have seen RJC struggling in the game after a string of dastardly, dishonourable acts. It may take longer for Leopold’s actions to catch up with him, but they surely will. Perhaps we may see the HRE itself collapse in a state of civil war as the component nations find they cannot support an ‘emperor’ who claims to act in their name? The HRE was always no more than a lose confederation so the ties which bind it together should be easy to break. Bribing some nations to retain their loyalty can only achieve so much.

The rules (confirmed by the Discourse on Treaty Rules topic) state quite clearly that “where a country breaks a treaty there is steady downward pressure on its honour until the matter is resolved. This inevitably means that the nation in question will collapse in rebellion and other internal pressures eventually if the matter is ignored. That is a strong reason to comply with treaty obligations, or if you cannot to make a comparable offer to solve the problem.” It is “simply not worthwhile deliberately breaking treaties as those who do so will end up risking losing everything” And if that isn’t enough, it is confirmed that the effect is most sharply seen by reference to “what is deemed morally right in the eyes of your own aristocracy and/or contemporaries.”

I can only assume that the new player for France is taking the GM at his word and relying very heavily on this rule. If so then Austria has a choice: continue to occupy parts of France and ultimately see your support collapse, or accept your guilt and the judgement of the church, withdraw and pay damages to France which are acceptable to the new player.

Of course, if the player for France has judged incorrectly and it transpires that the GM cannot be trusted to implement the rules he has designed then the game as a whole becomes a farce. All players ultimately have to trust the GM. Consequently I suggest it is more likely France has judged correctly and he is prepared to accept more short term damage to France in favour of longer term humiliation of Leopold. A brave and high risk strategy which would not necessarily have appealed to me, but I salute him for giving it a try. Personally I would prefer to see Austria defeated on the battlefield and directly humiliated rather than France sitting back and expecting the GM to do all the work, even if the result is ultimately the same. In the words of Psalm 111: The good man conducts his affairs with honour, his sons will be powerful on earth; the children of the upright are blessed.

With England peacefully under the rule of King James and Leopold consigned to hell, we will then see a much simpler game with the only war in western Europe being between UDP and France, which will be very interesting to comment on.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:06 pm

I will only say that I'm satisfied with how things are developing for King James.

The rules do say that treaty breakers suffer honour loss, but as I posted in Richard's clarifications, they need to be called out on it, probably repeatedly. This really hasn't been done.

I imagine France is determining if negotiations are possible before bringing out the propaganda stick and starting to beat upon Leopold.

As a player, I think Leopold should have made more of an effort to build a defensible casus belli before going to war, which makes him vulnerable now on the honour front.

But Austria has also said here in the forums that he's prepared to take a honour hit, so we'll have to see how it plays out.

Post by Guest Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:28 pm

Deacon wrote:
    I will only say that I'm satisfied with how things are developing for King James.

I imagine you are Smile

I am not against negotiation, but there has to be some prospect of agreement between the parties to allow negotiation.

In the case of King James vs RJC, it would appear that only one of you can rule England. So Deacon, unless you are prepared to forgive RJC for murdering your father, it would be a waste of time negotiating with him. You would be rightly criticised by your own followers if you continued to send peace envoys to RJC only to find they were butchered by him? I suggest that the only prospect of an agreement between you and RJC would be if RJC admitted his guilt, offered to pay compensation and threw himself on your mercy. At that point it would be down to you, as the injured party, to determine how generous you would be towards him. Until he does that, there is nothing to negotiate between you. And of course, if he does surrender to you, then presumably it will be because he is no longer in the game and you take your rightful place as King by default.

With Austria vs France we have a similar situation in principle: France is wronged, yet far from admitting guilt, Austria compounds the offense by continuing to attack. It is not in Austria's gift to extract a penalty from France, so that Austria can then continue to go on offending. So until Austria admits her guilt and offers reparations to France it would appear there is nothing to negotiate about. And under such circumstances the rules are very clear: Leopold will (not might, but will) find his ability to wage a dishonourable war affected, Austria will therefore collapse in rebellion due to internal pressures. If you read the guidance again, carefully, the consequences are not merely felt in terms of an honour loss. Leopold can afford an honour loss, but he can't afford a breakup of the HRE. The honour loss is likely to occur at the same time, but internal rebellion is also a consequence of breaking treaties. How this plays out is down to the GM, but it seems quite clear that in a lose confederation of states already split by religion, it would require the protection of a higher honour score to hold such a confederation together than it would for a single nation state like France. So Leopold may not have as much leeway as he thinks. This makes sense in the context of history: lesser Lords owed allegiance to greater Lords, but that allegiance was conditional on them acting as Lords, being honourable and trustworthy, otherwise the whole structure of society was threatened, and rebellion ultimately happened. An incompetent Lord could survive for a long time supported by competent underlings, but a dishonourable Lord was quickly replaced by a more honourable underling who could command the respect of his peers by his actions. The French people rioted not because I was untrustworthy, but because they thought I was behaving dishonourably through seeking a negotiated peace with the enemy rather than allowing the French army to do its job and avenge their honour. It may not be the modern way of thinking, as we seem to prefer appeasement and compromise, but it is the historical way of thinking in 1700.

A key moment was seen when you (I assume it was you) were able to persuade the Pope to declare Saint King James a Martyr. The Pope then issued a powerful broadside against all Catholics who oppose your just and honourable cause. It would be rather odd if this was a one-off rather than a warning with more to come if the aggressor (Leopold) did not stop his attacks on His Most Christian Majesty. No Catholic nation can put itself in opposition to the Catholic church without there being serious consequences for internal stability. As France I suffered low honour over an extended period for a variety of factors, including not fighting back strongly against the invader, but what saved me was that I had moral right on my side. Austria does not have that defense. So for Austria to avoid the consequences of her actions (i.e. internal rebellion), then she must make restitution. That is what the phrase 'comparable offer to solve the problem' means in the context of treaty breaches. The terms issued by Spain and Austria are not offers to solve the problem, but to compound the offense. Until that changes, it is clear that the only reason for her to continue to attack is if she is deliberately seeking to cause economic damage to France and take the new player for a fool. Although it is always nice to occupy the moral high ground to gain diplomatic respect, events have secured to France that moral high ground. To indulge Austria's phoney diplomacy simply to retain diplomatic advantage requires the prospect of a diplomatic solution. Until Austria repents and offers reparation such a solution looks elusive.

Of course I can only comment as an outsider based on what I read in the newspaper. Players have different styles and I respect that. Jason's diplomatic genius may have already won the day and he may be conducting secret negotiations to find Leopold a way to make a face-saving u-turn. Consequently there is the risk I may be doing Leopold a dis-service in which case I will be only too happy to apologise to him once he surrenders his army, leaves France, calls off his pirates and agrees to transfer substantial assets to France in compensation for the damage he has caused.

Post by Guest Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:40 pm

Damn, Louis has guessed...there's just one clause that still needs to be sorted...and as soon as RJC agrees to lend me his axe... Very Happy
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2571
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:31 am

Jason wrote:Damn, Louis has guessed...there's just one clause that still needs to be sorted...and as soon as RJC agrees to lend me his axe... Very Happy

Sorry to spoil the mutual Bourbon-Jacobite back slapping over the last turn but the the last time I looked at the honour table France and the Jacobites were not on it but it did include a couple of Hapsburgs and a couple of non Jacobite English.

Would also point out that in the historical 1700's the Pope refrained from upsetting the Hapsburgs due to their Military Stength in Italy. How many days are the Spanish Armies in Italy from the Papal states? Cardinal Portocarrero for Pope?

As for Bourbon's playing the Catholic propaganda card......all I can say is that in the Historic War of the Spanish Succession and in Louis XiV other wars religion was not really an issue since his historic allies included the Dutch V England & Spain, Cromwell V Spain , Protestant German Princes, Swedes and protestant Hungarians allies V Austria. While in Game since 1700 the major French Allies have been Protestant, Orthodox or Ottoman.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy the fine piece of Propaganda as much as the next man........perhaps more! But at the end of the day its a War Game and while Propaganda may fire up the fighting spirit of the Clans and the men under the Lilly Banners its not going to take London.

The other interesting thought I had about Jason borrowing an axe, for Leopold? is that in G2 the Janissary Corp killed the then Grand Vizier and his son declared blood feud. A feud which has had the odd gap such as when the son was burning down half of France, killing the King of Poland and blowing up Venice but the feud has always been in the background of G2 only slowly ending as Agema are now running out of Janissaries first in Rumelia, then Anatolia, then Egypt now in Syria.

Students of nasty hand writing may care to note that the loyal Rumelian scribe in G2 seems to have a close relative working for the Hapsburgs in G7. First they stole his Island, then they burnt his trade mission in Dublin, then the said nasty things about him in a Church, then the chopped the head of his dear old Dad.......as one blood feud ends so another one starts.

I do so enjoy it when Papists fall out...........nothing like a good feud to add spice to a game and keep Privateers gainfully employed!

Finally I think it is unfair for the RKL to claim that other English factions and Patriots like Sir Christopher have not provided loyal support to their King - Good King William & his Prime Minister the RJC. 250 French Ships have been lost in the last year and a half fairly sure they were not all taken by storms and Sea Monsters.

Post by Guest Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:03 am

Stuart Bailey wrote:
    Jason wrote:Damn, Louis has guessed...there's just one clause that still needs to be sorted...and as soon as RJC agrees to lend me his axe... Very Happy

Sorry to spoil the mutual Bourbon-Jacobite back slapping over the last turn but the the last time I looked at the honour table France and the Jacobites were not on it but it did include a couple of Hapsburgs and a couple of non Jacobite English.

The other interesting thought I had about Jason borrowing an axe, for Leopold?

Who knows Stuart, maybe I see RJC as a role model and considering copying his example in France? Wink

And in all fairness, I've only been playing the game for 4 turns (starting with an honour score of 3!!!!!) and the Jacobite player not much longer so it would be a bit of a surprise if either of us were in the honour table.

Believe me, when either we get peace (or after I get so fed up trying to failing to achieve anything and walk away from G7), I will give my honest views on the situation I found myself in...might be interesting.

Post by Guest Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:17 am

As to what I am going to do next, be assured you will all find out next turn. Also be assured it will be my choice of action...but perhaps not one anyone will expect of me.

Post by Guest Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:25 am

Haha! That is just TOO tantalising to bare! Will it be war? Will it be peace? Will it be handing over of all French forces in England to King James?

Or something unexpected as Jason says? Surely not another regicide? A French conversion to Protestantism? France appointing their own Pope? Surrender to Austria? Declaration of War against Spain? Handing over of French assets to the Ottomans? bom

I jest of course. But I can't wait to see what happens!

Post by Guest Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:30 am

Jason wrote:I will give my honest views on the situation I found myself in...might be interesting.

It will be very interesting and I for one will look forward to reading them. It is not the situation you find yourself in, but the situation you create that makes the difference. When you took over France you were generous in your praise over what you had inherited and I thank you for that. You have already made far more diplomatic progress than I could have done and from your earlier comments you appear to be planning some very interesting surprises over the next few turns to keep us all entertained.

Stuart Bailey wrote:Don't get me wrong I enjoy the fine piece of Propaganda as much as the next man........perhaps more!

Propaganda, moi?

I have merely pointed out inconsistencies between the deeds of certain characters and their stated objectives, all within the framework of the rules. There should be no major surprises in there.

Sir Christopher Myngs and his pals
    Stuart asserts that RJC has rock solid support, but that is not the evidence of the newspapers. Instead, as Basileus suggested, there seems to be several factions each fighting for their own interest. The point I made was that they may think they are supporting RJC, but they are likely to be making things difficult for him just as spies acting as public mouthpieces for other interests make things difficult for other players.

If they are spies then it will be interesting to discover which foreign government they are in the service of and whose real interests they are promoting. Looking through the newspapers it appears there are even more factions acting as loose cannons than I originally thought.

In February, SirCM claimed to speak for most Londoners. Interestingly that same month the Orangist mob prevented RJC from reaching Parliament. So it is clear that the Orangist mob are not controlled by RJC, but by someone else. SirCM seems a likely figurehead as the next month when SirCM decked himself out in rather sartorially dubious garb, the Orangist mob allowed RJC to pass.

In April, SirCM was at it again, stating that ‘under the normal laws of England you cannot assault a man’, though the month before he was asking the crowd to ignore the ‘moral shortcomings’ of RJC which presumably include murder. Perhaps murder is not seen as a more serious form of assault by SirCM? He then really goes off-script somewhat, criticising RJC for his use of emergency powers (though nobody exactly knows what they are), and he seems to suffer from it when Defoe and Thackery leave his employment without permission. In May, SirCM directly obstructed RJC by putting forward a private amendment to RJC’s bill causing it to be delayed. The amendment is also rather puzzling in its detail as it creates a 4th claimant, one Prince George of Hesse-Darmstadt. Historically the Landgraf of Hesse-Darmstadt was Ernest Ludwig (1667-1739) who ruled from 1678-1739. They had no children named George, though his son, Ludwig VIII (b.1691) did have a son called George following his marriage in 1717. So unless I am missing something obvious it would appear that the amendment is wrong in fact. Neither is there any provision for what happens should Princess Anne refuse the crown. Historically she was most reluctant to accept it because she knew King James had the stronger claim.

With this level of evidence I am forced to conclude that SirCM seems to be more extreme than RJC in his condemnation of King James and more fanatical in his support for William.

Hapsburgs upsetting the Pope
    Stuart seems to be suggesting that the Haspburgs would use their strength in Italy to attack Papal lands if the Pope did not back them. Well I can’t deny there have been Catholic rulers in the past who have decided to physically attack the Pope. They didn’t last long and the verdict of history on them has been damning. If this is what the Hapsburgs are planning then I don’t see how they can escape excommunication.

Post by Guest Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:17 am

I would imagine that if a player wanted to then actually invading the Papal States would be easy enough. But given the politics in G7 at the moment I can only imagine how the Catholic Powers would respond?

Post by Guest Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:41 am

albreda wrote:Haha! That is just TOO tantalising to bare! Will it be war? Will it be peace? Will it be handing over of all French forces in England to King James?

Or something unexpected as Jason says? Surely not another regicide? A French conversion to Protestantism? France appointing their own Pope? Surrender to Austria? Declaration of War against Spain? Handing over of French assets to the Ottomans? bom

I jest of course. But I can't wait to see what happens!

Appoint my own Pope...now that would be very French... Wink but a bit 14th Century perhaps and lacking in ambition...now, maybe I'll just declare someone else to be Holy Roman Emperor Very Happy or even decide I've had enough of The Williamites and Jacobites and maybe what the English really need is a strong, fair ruler as King, someone untainted by the bad blood between their two kings...Louis I of England does have a certain ring to it doesn't it king lol!

I think we can safely assume that neither of those two will be my actions...though number 2 did cross my mind at one stage it has to be said...along with simply pulling out of England and letting the Jacobites and Williamites slaughter each other for the next 10 years...afterall an England weak, divided and in anarchy sounds like heaven to France Wink
    count-de-monet
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 379
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by count-de-monet Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:36 pm

"maybe I'll just declare someone else to be Holy Roman Emperor"

that would give us THREE "Holy Roman Emperors" in the game Very Happy

Post by Guest Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:35 pm

England - a French Colony Smile It sounds almost quaint.

I suppose if Mary hadn't invited the Williams over back in the 80's none of this would ever have happened. Rolling Eyes

Post by Guest Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:40 pm

Regor wrote: Well there it is: Only my opinion! Glad none of it is my problem. This mess will take years to resolve!

Think of the number of dead if it does take years, I have at times wondered if the only solution is simply to fight until everyone and every nation is so exhausted, bankrupt, run out of weapons and men, that we get peace by default with a wasteland in large parts of England, France, Austria, Germany and the Baltic.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 7:19 am