Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+3
jamesbond007
Deacon
J Flower
7 posters

'Micro' Player nations

'Micro' Player nations - Page 2 Empty Re: 'Micro' Player nations

Post by Guest Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:17 pm

Tonga did seem to avoid the attentions of Europe for quite some time, despite the Dutch visiting in 1616 (though that was only to an out-island, the main island was visited by the Dutch for the first time in 1643) and Cook's visits in the 1770s. Missionaries turned up late in the 1790s and 1820s and in 1900 the islands became a British protectorate, but they do seem to been have left alone largely.

Now, an expansionist or at least exploring-minded China might make contact...
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1239
    Registration date : 2012-02-16

Post by J Flower Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:27 pm

Have those Exploring -minded Chinese chaps thought of Australia & New Zeeland, they claimed they were there first but no flag was ever found.

Post by Guest Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:48 am

I have always planned to send some ships off there in the various Chinese positions I have played but the big problem has always been the need to actually create a fleet in the first place. For China, its like being Russia multiplied four or five times, given the long coastlines of the empire, it always amazes me how long it takes to build up a decent sized navy (it shouldn't surprise me but I always think this time I can do it better and quicker and it never works).

I have always found the theories on Chinese exploration interesting and it was after reading "1421" that I actually decided I would like to play China in Glory. I don't believe all that Menzies claims (esp in his sequel book "1433") but I think he is right on some of the aspects.
    Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 458
    Registration date : 2011-07-01

Post by Basileus Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:41 pm

It was a very interesting point of view and seemed to have some credibility, but I would agree the later claims seemed to go too far Smile
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:46 pm

China claims it's great expedition reached Australia years before the Europeans. In Game terms in 1700 it is still undiscovered( well apart from the people who live there but as non-Europeans they don't count)
    I one Game an expedition from Europe has dicovered & claimed the territories of Australia & NZ. If you want a micro position I suppose acting as Governor or Viceroy of either of these could be an option.
    Regor
    Regor
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 349
    Registration date : 2010-02-15

Post by Regor Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:54 pm

Going back a bit in the discussion I thing J Flower and TRKL hit the point re Pirates. I was one once ;-) and did OK until my base was raided and my "treasury" captured. pirat

A few months later I was forced to (game) suicide. bom

I started well but never got to make the grade - I guess diversifying is the trick.

[The Rowzi position seems a pretty formidable one especially if you can keep the Europeans at arms length.]

And as for tricky Micro's how about the Inuit? No change for eons how long could you stick at that position?? Question

Regor
    Regor
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 349
    Registration date : 2010-02-15

Post by Regor Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:55 pm

[China claims it's great expedition reached Australia years before the Europeans. In Game terms in 1700 it is still undiscovered( well apart from the people who live there but as non-Europeans they don't count)
    I one Game an expedition from Europe has dicovered & claimed the territories of Australia & NZ. If you want a micro position I suppose acting as Governor or Viceroy of either of these could be an option.]

I'd be up for that! Gov of New Zealand - all those great Maori stories to emulate .... Very Happy
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:38 pm

If your interested I can make the position avaliable to you, let me know. The sheep are already there.

Post by Guest Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:11 pm

Basileus wrote:It was a very interesting point of view and seemed to have some credibility, but I would agree the later claims seemed to go too far Smile

Oh yes, def had some good reasoning and evidence behind some of the claims...plus the book was useful for giving appropriate Chinese admiral names Smile

Post by Guest Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:34 pm

J Flower wrote:If your interested I can make the position avaliable to you, let me know. The sheep are already there.

That's ok...until someone sends a boatload of wolves to invade Wink
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2565
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:12 am

Now all the Prussians need to do now is invent larger, faster and refridgerated ships and they may actually find a use for all those sheep

Post by Guest Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:13 am

Stuart Bailey wrote:Now all the Prussians need to do now is invent larger, faster and refridgerated ships and they may actually find a use for all those sheep

They could market NZ as a holiday destination to the Welsh?
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:15 am

Prussia needs to create a navy first , then it can think about more complicated things like ships.
    Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 458
    Registration date : 2011-07-01

Post by Basileus Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:20 am

Dear God Jason, (talking about sheep and the Welsh) there is a discussion in the France v England thread about good mental health. Well I live in rural Wales at the moment and can now identify different breeds of sheep and go to sheep dog trials for entertainment Crying or Very sad

Post by Guest Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:10 pm

You have my deepest sympathy (after 3 years at uni in Carmarthen, I mean that most sincerely Very Happy )

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:34 am