Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+20
Thelittleemperor
Rozwi_Game10
jamesbond007
The Revenant
Ardagor
Bearlord
Nexus06
count-de-monet
The Hessian
mmcdhoward
Regor
MarkTurner26
J Flower
Goldstar
Kingmaker
Basileus
one grain of grain
Stuart Bailey
Deacon
Redtroop44
24 posters

The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.

Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1673
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.  - Page 12 Empty Re: The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.

Post by Kingmaker Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:33 pm

I had my Peter build his own workshop in the palace and hired a guy to assist him in it
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 479
    Registration date : 2015-04-14

The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.  - Page 12 Empty Re: The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.

Post by Nexus06 Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:35 pm

Kingmaker wrote:I had my Peter build his own workshop in the palace and hired a guy to assist him in it

Cool!

I'll copy that!
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:11 pm

jamesbond007 wrote:

You have to be very careful with the Hindu masses. They outnumber Moghul Muslims massively. So while they are nothing to your honour. If you ride roughshot over them. You risk an uprising. Like you said. " Moghul rulers razed their temples and put them down." That result being the Moghuls faded into oblivion and never reached the power they could easily have attained.

Perhaps a fair point, but mine was about honour. You get little honour in game for being practical. You get it for doing "honourable" things. Making nice with your Hindu subjects is practical, but it isn't going to please your nobles and clergy.

As an aside, I also think this is something that the Maharatans, played correctly, could exploit.
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Number of posts : 621
    Registration date : 2009-04-07

Post by jamesbond007 Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:57 am

Yes the Maharattans could exploit a weak Moghul player. But the other Indian princes are duty bound to join the Moghul.

I think you are right on honour. My point is though. If you are not given honour points for taking towns, thus earning recruits and revenue, the game is getting less like a war game , more of a nation builder and perhaps rather predictable at times.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:03 am

And I think that those things are their own reward. You need to do more if you want honour. Honour is very much NOT a score for who is winning...
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Post by jamesbond007 Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:25 am

Keep having balls and banquets every month and getting a few honour points each year seems to easy to get honour. I believe any population would be pleased to see their country growing bigger, stronger and wealthier through war and taking towns and should gain honour.

Seems to me, players are packing in positions earlier these days and games are dropping quicker. Perhaps the wargamers are getting frustrated.?
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Nexus06 Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:55 am

jamesbond007 wrote:Keep having balls and banquets every month and getting a few honour points each year seems to easy to get honour. I believe any population would be pleased to see their country growing bigger, stronger and wealthier through war and taking towns  and should gain honour.

Seems to me, players are packing in positions earlier these days and games are dropping quicker. Perhaps the wargamers are getting frustrated.?

To be honest i agree with you. I never thought about Glory of Kings as a war-game. I honestly do not even like them. I'm not good ad moving troops, ordering assaults, or tactically move units on a map. When i play a TW game i let the PC do the work for me, while i do not play tactical reconstructions with units or toy soldiers.

I'm a Role Play Gamer, i like building nations from the basis and interacting with players.

The very first time i met GoK was in early '90. A friend of mine played Grand Duke Cosimo de Medici in game 3. He used to deep research in order to use the most correct symbols and araldic colors for the game. He wrote his letters by hand, using a XVIII sec pen and proper ink. I remember how beautiful was to receive that pack full of papers and handwritten letters (One thing i miss playing via mail, but it is more practical on the other hand).

Therefore i agree with the explanation given in the advanced guide on this forum. Honor is a money, you spend it when you have to, you try to collect it the other moments by behaving as it is considered "Admirable" by the nobles in your society. Probably my playing is still too much influenced from my western formation (to me a behave correct for an aristocrat of that time is something versailles style, but Russia was a totally different thing with i still do not know enough. But that, for an RPG player, is christmas morning.

I hope this game will never limit itself to a war-game, because it would lose much of his attraction. I've never seen such an impressive, complex and complete simulation of a period, and for a player like me this is like living inside a disney park for a 6 years old boy!
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Number of posts : 661
    Registration date : 2015-08-15

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:16 am

I have to admit that I don't play TGOK as a wargame (though I found out about Agema through the adverts in the back of a wargaming magazine, and it was an old WW2 wargame that I first played in - "Panzers East").

I prefer the role playing and city building aspects of the game, and am quite happy to just set up my military as a small defensive force suitable for parades and sailing expeditions.

I can very well imagine it to be frustrating for a player to come into the game when all they want is to fight a wargame campaign and all their neighbours are peaceful city builders. I also, sometimes, wonder if this same issue frustrates Agema, as a good war helps to move the game along and create excitement and opportunities - It must get boring to just keep writing newspaper stories about social events?

But, there is no right or wrong way to play the game. And that's one of TGOK major benefits, I suppose.
    The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 489
    Registration date : 2008-08-03

Post by The Revenant Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:40 am

Meanwhile, over in 7 there's war and to spare..!
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Nexus06 Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:08 am

jimbotten wrote:Meanwhile, over in 7 there's war and to spare..!

True, but i think also in game 9 is just a matter of time....
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Post by jamesbond007 Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:38 am

The good thing about lgdr is you can play anyway you like. War game, political or nation building. I just think the way the honour points are given out seem to prefer the political, nation building stance, and seem to be harder to acquire for the war gamer. But a great game whichever way you play it.
    Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Kingmaker Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:06 pm

Originally there was a lot more war gaming in the game, but over the years it has be come more refined and war is less easier to practice now.

TBH when I played I liked to write flowery letters with nice colorful letterheads etc and to receive them, some people do not.

As to honor there are many ways to earn it, it is not all banquets and cathedrals etc, some form of historical stuff is required......
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2571
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:02 pm

Kingmaker wrote:Originally there was a lot more war gaming in the game, but over the years it has be come more refined and war is less easier to practice now.

TBH when I played I liked to write flowery letters with nice colorful letterheads etc and to receive them, some people do not.

As to honor there are many ways to earn it, it is not all banquets and cathedrals etc, some form of historical stuff is required......

Ref Honour........The key point is that not all positions gain honour equally or for doing the same things. Basically to gain honour you need to act in the correct historical manner for your position and like with trade & military strength some positions have greater potential and problems than others.

As already commented if you run a position which is spilt on religious lines like Moghul India you are probably going to have problems some of which may effect honour which other more united positions do not have.

If your ambition is to see your characters name top of the honour list your best option would seem to be....take a German State act as a Patron of the Arts, Music & Science say lots of nice things about the Empire in the Diet, dont beat up the neighbours but show up with your nice well drilled Army if the Empire is invaded by those nasty Ottomans, French or Swedes.

But note that this does not unite Germany or build up your positions economic or military/naval power.

Ref the effect of "Honour" on your military at one stage this was very linked to how well your troops fought but now its just one factor and unless one army is on the verge of mutiney its probably not even a major factor. Basically your troops may love you to bits but if they are inexperienced (all their Generals have done is attend balls for last five years) and SL 4 6............and get attacked by SL 0 troops who's generals have been on campaign and winning for last five years. I know who my money is on if the attackers do think their King is a bit of a git.

"Honour" may help with who quickly your troops gain or lose sickness levels but what really matters on the battlefield is numbers and condition. That and not running out of gun powder!

Goldstar
    Earl
    Earl

Number of posts : 187
    Registration date : 2010-09-13

Post by Goldstar Wed May 18, 2016 1:27 pm

August 1703.

1. King Charles XII of Sweden has fully recovered from his mystery illness and has departed for Stockholm, his presence may be urgently needed.
    2. 20,000 heavily armed Swedes have entered Northern Munster apparently en-route to the border of the Spanish Netherlands. They have been intercepted by Reicharmee Dragoons who suggested that they return from hence they came as they are have enter the Bishopric with out permission. The Swedish commander awaits orders from Stockholm, which may or may not plunge the Reich into conflict.
    3. King William returns to his beloved UDP, bring with him large amounts of English Grain to help the Dutch state to recover from its recent bad harvest. The Elector of Saxony also offers to supply a large store of Potatoes to help the Dutch.
    4. The Emperor announces that a celebration will be held to mark the 20th anniversary of the battle of Vienna. Also the various Austrian Diets adopt a Codified system of Law and standard units of measure.
    5. The Emperor's son, King Joseph calls upon King of Denmark to cement the growing friendship between the 2 nations.
    6. The Elector of Bavaria continues to try and drum up recruits in the Minor German states and Northern Italy.
    7. The Tsar grants toleration to the old believers, much to the displeasure of the official Orthodox Church.
    8. Lord Fong of the Empire of China, considers the Reich Emperor to be soft for not properly disciplining his subjects as a proper absolute monarch should. The Lord Fong has offered to sent a mission to properly instruct the foreign barbarians.
    Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Kingmaker Wed May 18, 2016 3:35 pm

Goldstar wrote:8. Lord Fong of the Empire of China, considers the Reich Emperor to be soft for not properly disciplining his subjects as a proper absolute monarch should. The Lord Fong has offered to sent a mission to properly instruct the foreign barbarians.

lol...... The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.  - Page 12 2847117503

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2016 6:32 pm

Lord Fong, whose wisdom and might knows no bounds, does not consider the Emperor soft...rather he feels the Emperor may be in error in his tolerance of such impenitence from his subjects...who can doubt that teaching the German Princes to Kowtow would be anything other than beneficial...
    Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Kingmaker Wed May 18, 2016 6:37 pm

I was a Lord Fong in Gunboat Diplomacy if any one remembers?

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2016 9:28 pm

Never realised! Chinese positions are always fun to play Smile
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Nexus06 Thu May 19, 2016 11:55 am

I must admit Lord Fong is one of my favorite characters in this game. Jason you are a genius! Smile

Hey, i'm in the top 10 honour rulers of the game. Never happened before! I've celebrated the event with a bottle of Bonarda and a grilled steak!

Post by Guest Thu May 19, 2016 7:25 pm

Nexus06 wrote:I must admit Lord Fong is one of my favorite characters in this game. Jason you are a genius! Smile

Hey, i'm in the top 10 honour rulers of the game. Never happened before! I've celebrated the event with a bottle of Bonarda and a grilled steak!

Me? A genius? Well, who am I to fly in the face of popular opinion Wink

But, seriously, thank you Smile I do feel Lord Fong allows me a bit more freedom. My other characters tend to be your usual Northern European honourable types, with Lord Fong I feel I can treat others with more disdain and pity them for not being so lucky to be Chinese. I don't think I could ever get away with being as rude as that if I was playing a European Wink

And congrats for getting into the Top 10 Smile
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2571
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Thu May 19, 2016 9:24 pm

Nexus06 wrote:I must admit Lord Fong is one of my favorite characters in this game. Jason you are a genius! Smile

With all this talk about honour and player glee at getting onto the honour list. I wonder if players would like a more detailed split? In LAK we used to have:

- Honour........How popular you are with your Nobles.

- Piety........How popular you are with the Church.

- Popularity.........How popular you are with the masses.

Might be of particalar interest to Great Moghuls to see what effect their "Glori du Roi honour neatral" actions are having on different sections of the community.
    Goldstar
    Earl
    Earl

Number of posts : 187
    Registration date : 2010-09-13

Post by Goldstar Fri May 20, 2016 8:57 am

Whilst the wisdom of Lord Fong is always welcome, I am rather more concerned by The actions of the Swedes.
    Sweden recently lodged a very dodgy claim to the Spanish Netherlands with the Reich Court, Austria then presented evidence which appeared to confirm Spain's legal right to Provence.  The court has still to rule on the matter, but a 20,000 strong Swedish Army is now marching on the Spanish Netherlands.  After the recent dispute over Munster it now appears Sweden is determine to start a war in the Empire.  Is Sweden acting alone?  Are the French, English and Dutch involved? How will the HRE react? The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.  - Page 12 3247665605

Post by Guest Fri May 20, 2016 6:48 pm

The actions of the Swedes are a worry, but I wonder if they are leaving themselves open to a little visit from the Russians? Are the Swedes up for a war on 2 fronts?
    Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 458
    Registration date : 2011-07-01

Post by Basileus Sat May 21, 2016 11:35 am

The Swedes are not really a worry if this is a wargame and we are 3 years in without any fighting so far.
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Nexus06 Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:13 am

Should be about time for the new turn to come...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 4:25 am