Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+20
Thelittleemperor
Rozwi_Game10
jamesbond007
The Revenant
Ardagor
Bearlord
Nexus06
count-de-monet
The Hessian
mmcdhoward
Regor
MarkTurner26
J Flower
Goldstar
Kingmaker
Basileus
one grain of grain
Stuart Bailey
Deacon
Redtroop44
24 posters

The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.

Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 479
    Registration date : 2015-04-14

The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.  - Page 11 Empty Re: The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.

Post by Nexus06 Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:01 am

Kingmaker wrote:all good stuff  The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.  - Page 11 169354432 The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.  - Page 11 3247665605

I hope so, surely i'm not getting bored Very Happy

But everything seems so quiet in the north...wonder why?
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.  - Page 11 Empty Re: The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.

Post by Nexus06 Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:29 pm

Life sucks!
    The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 489
    Registration date : 2008-08-03

Post by The Revenant Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:54 am

Something went wrong?
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Nexus06 Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:32 pm

jimbotten wrote:Something went wrong?

can't manage to make my Honor score go up, i'm getting quite frustrated.

Build churces, nope
    Build Accademy, nope
    Save a religious fracture in the stardom, lose points
    create theatre for Nobles Pleasure, lose points
    military parare, nope

Honestly is not a good period for me both at home and at work, and i was hoping that at least here things would get better.

well, will try harder Smile
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Number of posts : 621
    Registration date : 2009-04-07

Post by jamesbond007 Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:05 pm

Nexus06 wrote:

Build churces, nope
    Build Accademy, nope
    Save a religious fracture in the stardom, lose points
    create theatre for Nobles Pleasure, lose points
    military parare, nope

Honestly is not a good period for me both at home and at work, and i was hoping that at least here things would get better.

well, will try harder Smile

Agree with you. In a game of lgdr I have recently taken in battle 5 towns. Gained thousands of recruits, much more tax and income. Yet I was not given one honour point. I am thinking this is now a political building game, rather than a war game. How can you not get honour points for taking towns in battle.?

Have Agema heard of Genghis Khan or Alexander the Great.?
    Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1673
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by Kingmaker Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:46 pm

What country?
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Post by jamesbond007 Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:55 pm

Moghul game 8.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:00 pm

Honour is always tough. Losses and gains can seem inexplicable at times, and I think that is partly Richard's intention. He doesn't want the path to higher honour to be obvious.

My personal view is that honour can only go up a bit each turn and that you need a long term strategy, not quick fixes. Regular banquets and church building is a good baseline, but it will take game years to build up.

Also, I think the larger the position and the higher the current honour, the lower the effect of honour raising tactics. You have to do a fair number of them just to hold steady. And larger positions, with larger treasuries, are expected to do more. That's why focused smaller positions can often outstrip the larger in honour.

Taking over someone seems to be a mixed bag. Many conquests seem to yeild nothing, but I recall Kingmaker telling me when Russia in game 3 'liberated' constantinople it was an enormous burst of honour.

Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Kingmaker Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:11 pm

oh yes getting back a holy Orthodox city was a good boost, plus when I started getting all the Orthodox stuff back in place etc and the real Horses from Venice, for a large sum of money, honor went quite high!  The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.  - Page 11 3497527849

Post by Guest Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:35 pm

Honour is an interesting part of the game and I agree with Deacon, Richard I am sure keeps it mysterious to keep us all guessing Smile

I wonder Nexus, if its a case of not yet finding the right sort of thing to improve your honour? For example, in China parades, banquets, religious buildings-doing, building or hosting those won't increase your honour, the only thing that does is honouring the Emperor...and that is best done by sending him gifts. Of course, even then it's not simple as not every gift adds to your honour, for example if you send him something that someone else has already sent him then it doesn't benefit your honour...nor if he doesn't like the gift! Very Happy

Silly question, you have been opening the right sort of 'churches'?
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:34 pm

Richard does say he'll ding you for complaining about honour, but I think it's completely legitimate to ask trusted councilors what you could do to improve your standings in the people's eyes. I'd make sure to phrase it in-character and appropriately. It may be that there's something about the position that you're not 'getting' in terms of what's expected of you. Maybe there's something you're not doing that you should be doing.

Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Nexus06 Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:29 am

I think you guys are all right.

As most of you know i play a lare ortodox nation Smile but i'am do trying to innovate, modernize but keeping the respect of the orthodox tradition. It is probably true that a major impact must be brought into the game, i might be still too isolate in foreign activities. (But, honestly saying, after Saxony-Poland quitted the game, also Sweden seems to be quite silent in the last turns, it seems to me that we are very few players in this game).

As i said, what Peter did when he didn't succeed was trying harder. I'll follow his path.
    Bearlord
    Lord
    Lord

Number of posts : 38
    Registration date : 2008-07-04

Post by Bearlord Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:42 pm

I play in this game as well and I have been quite lucky with the Honour score so far but sometimes you don't get it when you expect it and then you can get a boost retroactively or when some underlying effect kicks in. I recieved 4 points in one turn at one time, not all them came from actions I did in that turn.

As some has said here already I think there are different ways to improve Honour for different postions. For me as a Catholic with absolute power, showing and supporting faith in public, hosting banquets and supporting culture and science seem to have worked quite well. Also developing the army, trade and the economy as a whole and reporting it back to the nobility I think may have helped.

Hold on to it Nexus. We need you in this game. I think interesting things will develop for the game in the coming months.
    Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Kingmaker Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:54 pm

remember honor is not the masses, BUT what the nobles church etc think of you.  Try putting up nobles taxes and watch it plummet, do the same for the common people and not a dickie bird....
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:20 pm

Kingmaker wrote:remember honor is not the masses, BUT what the nobles church etc think of you.  Try putting up nobles taxes and watch it plummet, do the same for the common people and not a dickie bird....

I think Honour is a combination of nobles, church, and commoners, but I do agree the lion's share is what your nobles think.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2568
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:49 pm

[quote="jamesbond007"]
    Nexus06 wrote:

Agree with you. In a game of lgdr I have recently taken in battle 5 towns. Gained thousands of recruits, much more tax and income. Yet I was not given one honour point. I am thinking this is now a political building game, rather than a war game. How can you not get honour points for taking towns in battle.?

My experience of playing a Muslim position like Moghul India is that you only gain "honour" for beating up unbelievers and you lose it by fighting fellow believers esp if they are from a close or related position.

So for Moghul Nobles fighting Afghans is basically a civil war with relatives and even a victory is not going to be popular. But the same scale of victory over Hindu foes will gain lots of honour points.

With Rumelia in G2 (like Moghuls - Muslim Nobles, but most of population not muslim) years of wageing Jihad against historic foes like Venice, Habsburgs, Poles etc got honour score up to 50 plus.

Then the sodding Janissary Corp stabbed me in the back.......ended up taking control of Anatolia, Egypt, Syria and drove the Persians back but my the time I broke the Janissary Corp had lost 30 honour points!

Still think this was harsh since they started it and they allied to the Persian Heretics. But some times you just have to grit your teeth and take the pain. Just because your Nobles do not like something......like wiping out treachous, double dealing Afghans and Janissary types does not mean its wrong!

Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:56 pm

Agree wholeheartedly.

If you're convinced it's the right course, then go for it.

Do everything you can to raise honour, but understand it's a losing battle until you're past the change and that your honour raising actions are just triage to help limit the damage as you remake the position.
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Post by jamesbond007 Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:07 am

Stuart Bailey wrote:
    jamesbond007 wrote:
    Nexus06 wrote:

My experience of playing a Muslim position like Moghul India is that you only gain "honour" for beating up unbelievers and you lose it by fighting fellow believers esp if they are from a close or related position.  

So for Moghul Nobles fighting Afghans is basically a civil war with relatives and even a victory is not going to be popular.  But the same scale of victory over Hindu foes will gain lots of honour points.

With Rumelia in G2 (like Moghuls - Muslim Nobles, but most of population not muslim) years of wageing Jihad against historic foes like Venice, Habsburgs, Poles etc got honour score up to 50 plus.

Then the sodding Janissary Corp stabbed me in the back.......ended up taking control of Anatolia, Egypt, Syria and drove the Persians back but my the time I broke the Janissary Corp had lost 30 honour points!

Still think this was harsh since they started it and they allied to the Persian Heretics.  But some times you just have to grit your teeth and take the pain.  Just because your Nobles do not like something......like wiping out treachous, double dealing Afghans and Janissary types does not mean its wrong!

Trouble is. You go after Hindu foes and you upset your own massess. As the majority of Moghuls are Hindu. So you lose your popular support that way. Just seems as though if you play the game as a war game it's very difficult to succeed either way.

Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2568
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:36 pm

[quote="jamesbond007"][quote="Stuart Bailey"][quote="jamesbond007"]
    Nexus06 wrote:

Trouble is. You go after Hindu foes and you upset your own massess. As the majority of Moghuls are Hindu. So you lose your popular support that way. Just seems as though if you play the game as a war game it's very difficult to succeed either way.

So if I understand correctly the problem with playing Mogul India is:

a) If you attack fellow Muslims this upsets your Muslim Nobles and your honour goes down.
    b) If you attack European Christains this ruins trade and your economic health goes down.
    c) If you attack Hindu's this upsets your Rajput Nobles & the masses and your honour goes down.

So unless you want to be really unpopular and spend all your time crushing revolts the only way to play the Great Moghul is as a really nice guy who spends his time hunting and acting as a Patron of the Arts.

Have you considered beating up Sikhs (viewed as Heretics by everyone) and Buddists?

It also helps if you establish a proper cause before you attack someone........surely the Moghul Propaganda Machine has something to say about:

Mitha = Bandits, Pirates, etc
    Kabul = Timurid home land.......needs to be liberated from the oppressive yoke of Uzbeck bandits so Noble Moghul Ladies can visit the tombs of their forefathers withut being robbed and outraged!
    Persians = Not muslim brothers! But nasty horrible shia heretics who oppress Sufi Saints and Sunni brothers.

I find it helps if you write your Propaganda like you really believe it and dont hold back.......no matter how extreme your attacks on someone you can always find a historic example from the period which is more extreme.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:34 am

I think sometimes players bring too much modern sensibility to the game. I can't fault them because some things during the period are pretty horrific.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_Hindus#In_the_Mughal_empire

Islam denotes that polytheism is pretty much the worst sin that exists: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirk_(Islam)

So while The Moghul may rule over Hindus, what the Hindus think of you should mean pretty much zero to you. They're incredible sinners. Moghul rulers regularly razed their temples and put them down.

I think this is one of the positions where the opinion of the common hindu is going to mean nothing to your honour rating unless you're too soft on them, in which case your fellow muslims will look down on you.

To be fair, there is also other evidence of rapprochement between the two cultures, so taking a friendlier tone isn't outside the realm of reason.  But I think this fundamental theological point is hard to miss if you're really going to play your faith.

So I don't think I'd agree with the "you lose honour whatever you do." I'd suggest instead that unless you're doing something that brings honour to all of your nobles, they don't care. Invading a neighbor that hasn't insulted you enriches the moghul emperor, but what does it matter to his nobles? Make it about defending the nation's honour or bringing the true faith and it might matter more to them.

I also think your nobles may take more of a wait and see approach. The honour for these victories may show up a year later when you've really consolidated the gains..

My take anyway.
    Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 458
    Registration date : 2011-07-01

Post by Basileus Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:32 am

For my two penny worth - I did a bit of research on the Moghuls as I thought that I was going to play them at one time in game 10. My advice to raise their honour would be around promoting Persian art and architecture. Seems strange, but the Moghuls used this to gain support in their diverse terrotories and the Indian nobilty really appreciated it. Think of the Taj Mahal amd Indian palaces.
    To improve the honour of Russia, the Russian people are very backward and superstitious in 1700, so play to that. A Russian Tsar in 1700 in the game would be far better seen worshipping at icons in the churches than building theatres for the nobility, remember, these are Boyars not the educated nobility of western Europe. There is no point in building a theatre if you havent got a theatre company to put on plays, and plays translated into Russian for them to watch. (Sweden is still in game 9 and about to attack within the HRE)
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Post by jamesbond007 Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:31 am

[quote="Deacon"]I think sometimes players bring too much modern sensibility to the game. I can't fault them because some things during the period are pretty horrific.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_Hindus#In_the_Mughal_empire

Islam denotes that polytheism is pretty much the worst sin that exists: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirk_(Islam)

So while The Moghul may rule over Hindus, what the Hindus think of you should mean pretty much zero to you. They're incredible sinners. Moghul rulers regularly razed their temples and put them down.

I think this is one of the positions where the opinion of the common hindu is going to mean nothing to your honour rating unless you're too soft on them, in which case your fellow muslims will look down on you.

You have to be very careful with the Hindu massess. They outnumber Moghul Muslims massively. So while they are nothing to your honour. If you ride roughshot over them. You risk an uprising. Like you said. " Moghul rulers razed their temples and put them down." That result being the Moghuls faded into oblivion and never reached the power they could easily have attained.

Last edited by jamesbond007 on Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wrong insertion.)
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Nexus06 Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:47 am

Basileus wrote:
    To improve the honour of Russia, the Russian people are very backward and superstitious in 1700, so play to that. A Russian Tsar in 1700 in the game would be far better seen worshipping at icons in the churches than building theatres for the nobility, remember, these are Boyars not the educated nobility of western Europe. There is no point in building a theatre if you havent got a theatre company to put on plays, and plays translated into Russian for them to watch. (Sweden is still in game 9 and about to attack within the HRE)

That's a good hint surely. My vision of Peter is still not complete as he was a western man with an eastern cultural ground. Happy to see you didn't quit.
    Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Kingmaker Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:57 am

Also going down to docks to help shipwrights, and other stuff will improve he was a very practical man wanting to know how stuff worked and was not afraid to get his hands dirty
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Nexus06 Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:06 pm

Kingmaker wrote:Also going down to docks to help shipwrights, and other stuff will improve he was a very practical man wanting to know how stuff worked and was not afraid to get his hands dirty

True!

Anyway, i like this thread is getting alive, i don't want game 10 and 7 get's all the attention Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 11:50 am