Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+4
The Revenant
revvaughan
Kingmaker
Rozwi_Game10
8 posters

TGOK 8 [Swashbuckler] - Mister B. Yorke

Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Number of posts : 661
    Registration date : 2015-08-15

TGOK 8 [Swashbuckler] - Mister B. Yorke - Page 2 Empty Re: TGOK 8 [Swashbuckler] - Mister B. Yorke

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:50 pm

I received the current turn today, and Agema's response to my list of equipment etc.

###

[taken straight from my turn sheet]

Current situation:

Thomas Guy, Sir Richard, and Josiah Muddley listened intently as you outline the men and equipment necessary for guarding what you grandly call ‘the Royal Society expedition to Greenland’. They like that, and cordially agree it is a most suitable title.

“Every man needs the following equipment; warm, foul weather clothing, a leather shoulder satchel, a cork-stoppered bottle for drink -secured from shoulder by lanyard, a brightly coloured cloth strip to be tied around arm, or if needed all strips may be tied to a pole to signal with… and a supply of food in the form of dried ship's biscuit.”

“Mister Bartholomew Yorke,” pronounced Sir Richard, “You are a wonder to me!”

“Indeed! A gentleman of immense promise and talent, a veritable tower of strength who shall with voluminous grandeur our humble scheme,” declared Josiah.

Richard sighed. “May we get on. I fear this expedition will take years to arrange if we do not make haste with the arrangements.”

He leaned towards you, “My friends have a habit of drawing matters out, I warn you of that now, lest you be disappointed too soon.”

“And yet I spy a singular difficulty,” announced the sponsor, Thomas. “While indeed I find it no hardship to have most of these items supplied liberally for our use and those whom we hire, I cannot for the life of me reason what a dried ship’s biscuit might be!”

“A biscuit. That is dry?” ventured Josiah.

Thomas frowned and ‘harrumphed’, but with haste Josiah explained himself somewhat better, “They are used on ships, hard biscuits being most efficacious as a food on long journeys.”

“Ah, then I withdraw my dissent and concern, they too shall indeed by financed,” answered Thomas.

###

Readers of The London Gazette (the in-game newspaper for game 8 ) will have seen it read;

"It is being said that the Royal Society is planning an expedition to Greenland!"

The above statement being given as the 'And finally' bit of news under the location heading 'London'.

Now I wonder what that could be all about! rendeer
    revvaughan
    revvaughan
    King
    King

Number of posts : 778
    Registration date : 2008-07-15

TGOK 8 [Swashbuckler] - Mister B. Yorke - Page 2 Empty Re: TGOK 8 [Swashbuckler] - Mister B. Yorke

Post by revvaughan Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:01 pm

The Prime Minister may need to find you... I don't want to violate the rule of not playing the game on the forum so I will not ask in further. Be on the lookout.
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:34 pm

revvaughan wrote:The Prime Minister may need to find you...  I don't want to violate the rule of not playing the game on the forum so I will not ask in further.  Be on the lookout.  

What you'll probably need to do is get the British Government to contact the Royal Society, in game, as my Swashbuckler character isn't high enough in society to be found amongst the multitude of London. As remember that this Greenland scheme is Agema driven, so it is the specific non-player-controlled characters belonging the Royal Society, that I've mentioned, that you'll need to contact. I just answered a leaflet looking for recruits and don't have any control over what will, or won't, happen. That will be between yourself (as Britain) and the GM.

Same goes for Denmark and it's Danish ambassador to Britain, if they wished to look into the Greenland Expedition mentioned in this month's newspaper, I'd imagine.

Now that it has been mentioned in the newspaper the various governments can react to what has become common knowledge. Its a The Glory of Kings game plot now, so it has gone beyond the small-time Swashbuckler dealings and reached national diplomatic level.

[I know what you mean about not playing the game outside of the game, so I'm sticking within the rules too. Obviously I appreciate your concern for your TGOK game position, so can only suggest what I've said above - Contact the Royal Society as part of your Diplomatic Orders, as you would anyway after reading about the planned Royal Society expedition in the newspaper. Hope this helps Smile ]

Post by Guest Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:53 pm

If you're off to Greenland, you might want to stop off in NE Scotland to investigate the stories of "Finn men" from around this time...might give you valuable intelligence...or maybe not...
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:21 pm

December 1706

Right, summary of what I wanted to do this turn - Spoiler Alert! I had plans to borrow BIG money and purchase cargo to trade with when we'd reached Greenland. Yes, ahem, that didn't happen. No doubt due to the fact that my character's social rank is currently classed as "Unheard Of", so I couldn't secure a loan as I'm still considered an "Ordinary Joe", just another "Tom, Dick or Harry" trying his chances on the streets of London. My argument of "Don't you know who I am? I'm with the Royal Society's hirelings!" didn't work, either. Galling circumstances and all that!

Well, nobody can say I didn't try. Also, I gave orders that my character would allow his 'workers' to have some time off to themselves (not at all to be read as, buying their loyalty), and that my character would rest up at his Inn lodgings so as to be well-rested and fit for the expedition to come.

So, onward to the...

My Turn Reply by Agema wrote:Current situation:

Attempting to secure a loan off a moneylender for 25 guineas proves
    more difficult than one would have thought. You find yourself at the
    Sign of Three, a pokey and dusty shop which is dark within, and
    manned by an unkempt shaggy-haired individual sporting ragged black
    clothing and fingerless gloves. He introduces himself as Josiah Snead.
    You ask for a loan of up to 25 guineas, and he looks surprised. He
    shrugs, “What have you got as security, my boy?”

You hesitate. He points to your walking cane, prompting you to show it
    him, and explain it to be a sword-cane. He examines it, and explains if
    this is left with him until payment is made back, he offers you half-a-guinea,
    as a loan up until January 1711 at which point either one
    guinea needs to have been paid to him to release the cane and clear the
    debt, or the cane becomes his own possession. You try to persuade him
    to make you a better deal, but it soon becomes clear that he is sure this
    is the best deal you will find! Do you accept the offer?

It is frustrating, because half-a-guinea won’t buy any goods even if you
    should agree, so dreams of buying goods to trade seem to be fading
    fast.

While there is still free time before sailing, you hand to Ern one guinea
    and allow him and his two mates time to spend it as they will (which
    appears to involve drinking far too much). Your insistence that they be
    fit and healthy, and present to set sail for Greenland when that time
    arrives notwithstanding (for the next day they seemed in good spirits,
    and in rude health, despite having over-indulged, albeit they tired later
    in the day and to a man became sullen).

As for yourself, you retired to the Old Thameside Inn, visited coffee
    shops, and led a quiet existence keeping yourself out of trouble as best
    you can.

It was with some gratification that a few items found a way to your
    lodgings courtesy of Thomas Guy, for your personal use. Namely,  a
    flintlock blunderbuss, powder and shot, a flint and steel necessary to
    light fire, a leather bottle of whale oil.

###

And there we have it. My current situation and where I shall begin my imaginings for next turn's orders. I'm not going to give up on securing trade goods (my character is a merchant after all), but I feel that the disappointment of failing to secure a loan, and suppressing said disappointment last month, means Mister Bartholomew Yorke will be using / allowing his Weakness of his Temper to become unchecked this next turn. You have all been warned!
    Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1673
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by Kingmaker Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:15 pm

I would suggest approaching a known trader and asking him if you can trade his goods at a percentage of the profits so he gets a nice trade and you earn some money and a good contact for the future
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:28 am

Thanks Kingmaker. I had wondered about such a course, but two of us coming up with the same idea certainly helps to suggest to me it isn't such a bad idea. Will certainly look into that (time allowing), and will have to swallow my pride at attempting to trade on my own.

A chap over on my blog (I post these Swashbuckler posts over on my toy soldier blog) has also suggested using my free time to learn knot tying, or skinning, amongst other things. Maybe the knot idea isn't such a bad idea, as I listed rope as a equipment necessity and someone is bound to need rescuing at some point.

###

Forgot to mention that this last turn was the December 1706 turn. Another reason why I gifted Ern and Chums a guinea, and allowed myself to rest.

Post by Guest Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:20 am

Sitting in a Croatian bar, killing 12 hours before my flight, something occurs to me. I believe at this time Denmark had a law in place banning non-Danes going to Greenland. Ok the Dutch and English broke that law...
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2601
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:48 am

"Attempting to secure a loan off a moneylender for 25 guineas proves
    more difficult than one would have thought."

See you should have joined G7 then you could have borrowed the money from the Royal Bank of the America's (is Greenland in America?)

Of course knowing Richard you would have probably have ended up in debt to the Royal Bank of Africa AKA the HWIC AKA Portobello Company AKA Breathern of the Coast and having to do a little job for Martel to clear your debts.

Which gets you marked down by the Jacobites, French, Russians as a Hapsburg agent.
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Number of posts : 633
    Registration date : 2009-04-07

Post by jamesbond007 Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:05 pm

Mister B Yorke.

You seem like a guy with trading potential. Try getting a loan from the Bank Of India. Delhi.
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:47 pm

Jason wrote:Sitting in a Croatian bar, killing 12 hours before my flight...

You're not trying to split from Split, are you?

###

jamesbond007: India does feature in my characters plans, to be visited at some point in his future. No idea when that will be, however.
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Number of posts : 633
    Registration date : 2009-04-07

Post by jamesbond007 Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:10 pm

When in India pop to Delhi for tea with the Moghul.
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:02 pm

January 1707. London.

Current situation:

In the shop you shout out in agitation, “I WON’T PAWN MY SWORD
    CANE!” [explanation: I used my 'Temper' Weakness, this turn]

Josiah Snead physically moves back as if you had struck him, and
    waves both hands before him, “Well you’re free to leave, this is a
    respectable establishment, we don’t need any trouble.”

He then hesitates before calling out, presumably to some fellows in the
    back, “Isaiah, Jeremiah, will you come in here please, could be trouble
    brewing!”

You immediately feel embarrassed by your outburst, nod in a feeble
    attempt at civility, and leave.

Still annoyed from last month's failure to secure a loan, you attempt to
    secure a job in a merchant's shop. You enter the premises of Mister
    Harry Collins, a dealer in books. He looks over his round glasses and
    with a flourish welcomes you to his humble store. His smile and
    friendly manner changes somewhat on learning you are after a job, or
    news of a merchant’s shop where work may abound. “Times are not
    hard, but not good either, you could try Jones the fishmonger. He’s
    always in need of helpers… mainly because he is so ill-tempered
    no one can stand working with him for long.”

You take your leave to go to the shop of the said fishmonger, and find
    him to be just as foul mouthed and unpleasant as Mister Harry had
    warned. However, he offered you work for one guinea per four months,
    paid in arrears. “If you don’t like the terms, clear off! I’m not a charity!”
    he sneered.

Retiring for the evening you were most pleased to find 75 guineas had
    been forwarded to your person from the Duke of Halifax. It seems you
    have your much needed patron after all!

Josiah Muddley visited you come the morning. “Good news, sir, the
    Duke of Halifax has graced us with no less than 500 guineas, the race
    for Greenland is on!” He is effusive as he speaks of the wonders and
    riches to come. He then got to the point of his visit. “I have heard the
    gracious Duke has sent you a tidy sum as well. Would you care to
    invest that as well into our venture? The more you invest, the more
    handsome the share of the reward you shall receive when we succeed!
    Come now, there is not a moment to lose, invest in the Royal Society’s
    most wonderful adventure to Greenland!”

#

Further to the, above, turn report

From the The London Gazette, January 1707

First news item:

London
    "Having read of the possible expedition to Greenland, the Duke of Halifax
    has given a donation of 500 guineas to the Royal Society to help, and sent a
    further 75 guineas to Mister Yorke for his efforts."

Last news item (the Reader's Letters):

Danish-Norwegian Government Statement
    "Greenland is an integral part of the Kingdom of Denmark-Norway and has
    been since its settlement by Norwegian settlers in the 10th century. The
    Danish Lutheran Church has also been active amongst the native population
    of the island. Any foreigners visiting Greenland without the express permission
    of the Danish government will be considered trespassers and dealt with accordingly.

#

Further bits to the above found here: http://nevermindthejankers.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11/agemas-swashbuckler-pbem-turn-7.html - My blog post, where I've written up better explanations and other thoughts, for those reading who aren't familiar with AGEMA or PBMs
    Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1673
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by Kingmaker Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:05 pm

75G why Sir you are a most wealthy person it seems.... TGOK 8 [Swashbuckler] - Mister B. Yorke - Page 2 3497527849

Post by Guest Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:05 pm

An interesting blog Smile

I wonder what the Danish punishment for trespassers is? Exile to Greenland perhaps?
    revvaughan
    revvaughan
    King
    King

Post by revvaughan Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:42 am

The expedition is one of trade and not conquest is it not?

Mr. Yorke is indeed wealthy it would seem.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:59 am

I would read the Danish proclamation that Greenland is closed to English trade. England closes all its colonies to trade from other nations (with a few exceptions), so it isn't at all unprecedented in game.

Hispania closes most ports to trade to those who close its ports to it.

This is generally not a period of free trade.

Last edited by Deacon on Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:00 am; edited 1 time in total
    revvaughan
    revvaughan
    King
    King

Post by revvaughan Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:09 am

Danes are allowed to trade in certain ports in the colonies in Game VIII. At least that is what I think we have in place.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:49 am

revvaughan wrote:Danes are allowed to trade in certain ports in the colonies in Game VIII.  At least that is what I think we have in place.  

I didn't track who the exceptions were for, just that the Danes can reasonably close Greenland to trade/exploration if they wish.
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:57 pm

February 1707: [last turn]

Current situation:
    Mister Harry Collins, dealer in books, smiles slightly as you reenter his shop. “Ah, hello,” he says mildly.

You ask after an illustrated quarto book of the flora and fauna of England, which you require for a boat journey. He stands, nodding his head, “Oh yes, I’m sure I have something with wood etching illustrations to hand.”

He rummages, perusing several densely packed shelves, and then raises a finger in triumph. “Ah yes! Here it is!”

He carefully removes a small book with a marbled cover. “English fauna and flora, by Mister Hailey of Buckinghamshire. Alas the price reflects quality, as is always the case, and stands at 85 guineas.”

You are embarrassed. Again. For this is beyond your means.

He looks thoughtful. “Well I would like to sell it to you. What can you afford?”

+++

At the Old Thameside Inn the innkeeper’s wife, Abigail Smith, is taken aback when you ask to see her husband. She does as she as bid, however, and before long Mister Horace Smith is standing before you, cleaning a pewter tankard with a cloth which could have cleaner. From the midst of his ruddy complexion his piggy eyes give you full attention as you inquire if it be possible to invest in his business.

He licked his lips, “Yes sir, I think that can be arranged.”

He puts down the tankard and cloth of a nearby bar and rolls up his sleeves. “So, sir, how much and what for?”

###

March 1707: [turn that arrived today]

Current situation:
    Mister Horace Smith nodded in a manly or resigned manner upon being informed yours had been an initial enquiry only, ‘and I'll speak to you upon my return from Royal Society expedition.’

“Right enough,” he concurred. “Now you take a care while about that business, parts abroad are dangerous enough for flesh and blood when good English Christians are scarce.”

+++

Josiah Muddley seemed a little nervous when you visited, but this dissipated as 15 guineas were handed over for the coming expedition. “Oh you are a wonder! We now have a tidy sum to be going on with.”

You asked if there are any tasks you could perform for him as ‘I'm currently at a loss for things to do while waiting for expedition to sail.’

He frowned.

“I will level with you, you’re a good solid fellow. We have a tidy sum, true, but need help. Please keep this to yourself, but it is proving impossibly hard to hire a ship, any decent ship, for a half-reasonable price for the expedition. If you have any leverage with the government, or the other fellows of the Royal Society, please use it to try and secure us the hire of a ship for say, a period of six months? The alternative will be to bite the bullet and just use the expedition money to hire one, but that really could be leaving us in risk of financial scandal before we even set sail. It might work, but if we could just get a ship for hire, there would be no such risk looming over our heads likes the sword of Damocles!”

“Hmm, this is a real Gordian knot we must untie, so can you give succour? Do you know a ship owner, perhaps, or can you secure a suitable vessel?”

-

[an excerpt from this month's newspaper:]
    "According to Josiah Muddley, one of the gentlemen adventurers involved, the much-vaunted Royal Society expedition’s progress is stalling due to the need for a suitable ship to hire at a decent price for the purpose."
    revvaughan
    revvaughan
    King
    King

Post by revvaughan Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:09 pm

His Grace received a letter this month as well. We shall see how this transpires...
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:44 am

revvaughan wrote:His Grace

Oh 'eck! I've just reread it and spotted that I addressed the letter (to a Duke) as if to an Ambassador.

I guess that's me Black-Listed then affraid

... after much grovelling later, but all to no use, I now find myself being shanghai'd to a penal colony at the other side of no-where. I guess we'll all know why! coffin

It'd solve the Iceland affair, however  lol!

Feel free to drop a ton of bricks on my character's head to teach me a lesson, revvaughan
    revvaughan
    revvaughan
    King
    King

Post by revvaughan Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:11 pm

Only a ton of bricks... What ever shall I do with the remaining boat load that was ordered for this event. lol!
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2601
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:20 pm

Whats wrong with addressing a Duke as "Your Grace" scratch ???

Its not like he is someone important like "Your Most Catholic Majesty" or "Your Most Christain Majesty" or even a "Your Majesty" ?? (Jumped up Civil Servant who bribed his way to the top.......not even Old Nobility........did you here about his father and the 4th under maid?)

The classic insults on letter heading in this period has to be from the Cossacks starting with "Goathead of Babylon" and similiar parodies of every title the Ottoman Sultan had. In G2 this style was copied by the Sultan and the tradition was continued by Rumalia taking the view that if your are going to insult a fellow player you make it so wild and over the top that no one is going to take it personally.

For classic insults not intended the best one was from a Jacobite player (not the current one) to Spain in G7. Sent to King Charles of Spain it started your Grace and ended "His Most Catholic Majesty James II".........Not using someone title is one thing, but to actually pinch it for own use is bit much. Nasty if intended but in this case I dont think it was.
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:33 pm

The letter was addressed, "Your Excellency". As I simply cut and pasted the letter's heading from the month before, which went to an ambassador.
    It'll teach me to try and cut corners.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 18, 2024 7:14 am