You know how slow things move in Glory? Well, this is slower still.
Things will play out in Richard time.
With Aprilis 818 issue of AD Infinitium and some better conditions (everywhere apart from Britannia) we actually seem to be have decided on a Plan(s) to rebuild Rome:
Plan A) The Emperor has declared war on the Parthians (now to be called vile Parthians in all posts).....In theory the loot of Ctesiphon and Seleucia should fund the rebuilding of Rome with some left over to build extra golden statues of Nero playing his lyre, Nero in his chariot, Nero as the avitar of Apollo etc all round the Circuis Maximus.
- The Gov of Syria who has been very vocal of the Parthian threat has been given a year and a large chunk of the Roman Army to sort out this little job.
- Taking no chances the Gov of Syria this month sacrificed no less than 100 white goats......fortunately the Omens for war with Parthia are really good.......nothing can go wrong, cake walk, should all be over by the Ides of March 819.
Plan B) Just in case over heads in the Parthian War are higher than expected or loot is less all 600 senators to cough up between 50,000 and 100,000 Denarii towards the rebuilding. Plus as a favour to his old Tutor and his Chariot racing cronies in Iberia the Emperor has said find me 400 men "worthy of the honour" and I will make them Senators and extend Roman Citizenship to the four Iberian Provinces. A man worthy of the honour in this case meaning someone who gives 100,000 Denarii to the Rome rebuilding fund.
This plan will cut down Imperial Paper Work but is probably going to lead to pleading from other "civilized" provinces and even individuals that they should be allowed to contribute to the 400 new Senators. Something Nero is likely to look with favour on as he seems taken with the idea that "All the World is Rome and he is Rome".
It also has the added advantage of giving Senator Claudius and his small minded Italian lobby an attack of the vapours! Claudius plan to ban all "foreigners" from Rome and been torn to bits mostly by the Iberian and North African lobbies who pointed out with deadly effect that the Claudius plan to ban all foreigners would cause food riots and would also mean that Nero would have to throw out his favourite Greek actors and other artists!
However, as the Gods are clearly annoyed about something or someone and someone has to be held responsible for the Fire and the anger of the Gods. Nero has banned Persian Magi (and other Parthians) and Christians from Rome unless they are slaves or captives. With the Emperor adopting a wider view of Rome does this ban now means Christians and Magi are banned form the city of Rome or the whole Roman Empire unless they are Slaves?.......clearly one for the lawayers here. Jews in general were considered for the ban but avoided this by making donations to the re-building fund.
Plan C) Reduce the number of people in Rome and have some proper fire and building regulations. By sending out "colonists" to Syria, Dalmatia etc, etc this reduces the number of new buildings needed. Well not new buildings exactly more like the number of storey's and allow some fire breaks. In theory if Rome can send a lot of its poor plebs elsewhere this should in theory mean the capital smells a lot nicer and reduce the chance of it burning down again.
Plan D) Invade other places to obtain Slaves for sale and building workers seems to be confused, called off or on hold:
- In Britannia the legate seems to be making trade and peace agreements with King Vellocatus and King Calgacus of the
Caledoni, rather than getting our Eagle back and gathering slaves. But he is also bust adding a fourth Legion to the forces in Britannia is this to invade Hiberia perhaps?
- Rhine seems oddly quite with the Legions employed building markets for the natives and exporting cattle across the Rhine. Guess the new markets could used to buy cheap slaves to help re-build Rome?
- North Africa tribes have vanished after raids and probably do not know much about building work anyway so that one seems to be cancelled.
- Big mystery is what the hell is going on in Moesia. Where Legate Marcus Aponius Saturninus is entertaining a son of the King of Dacia and a mounted Dacian War Band while in other parts of Moesia other Dacian War Bands are ripping the province to bits and have enslaved thousands. Either someone's orders have got really jumbled up or the Dacians are trying out a form of diplomacy commonly called "Black Mail".......basically one lines of "look how nasty it can get......but for a small fee you can get on with your was against Parthia without worrying about a 2nd campaign." Might work on a Legate who wants to be marching East to Glory. But its probably not going to go down very well in Rome or with the Emperor.