Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+4
count-de-monet
Marshal Bombast
J Flower
Johntindall
8 posters

What’s your best Roman meme?

Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2568
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

What’s your best Roman meme? - Page 10 Empty Re: What’s your best Roman meme?

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:42 pm

Jason2 wrote:I've got to be honest Stuart, after reading your posts I wonder why anyone would even want to think about being Emperor...it's all too much hard work and expensive Very Happy   Maybe it's better for different players to grab bits of the Empire and declare independence Very Happy  

Can I just say that my character is a old style Republican in the style of Cato - he is basically against people trying to make themselves "Dictator" without following the proper process and is even more against them trying to make themselves "Dictator for Life" and hald a dozen other top posts at the same time. As such his accounts may rather stress the problems that anyone who tries to usurp the rights of the Senate and People of Rome may face.

Ok so in 69 AD the full restoration of the Republic was one of the idea's which was rejected. But the same can be said about five of the six possible claims to become Emperor so basically the whole game is about "Nero is mort..........what the hell to we do now?" so why not explore the Republic? Esp as none of the claims to be made Emperor have been that impressive so far and may indeed be Parthian Agents?

My character is even more against the concept of rebels and traitors trying to split chunks of the Roman Republic and set up their own Kingdom. I know sometimes people want to do really odd things in Agema games - the French revolution about 90 years early in G2 springs to mind. But as the Roman Players are all surposed to be roll playing members of the Senate, Great Roman Nobles and in many cases old Chariot racing and drinking budies of Nero. It does not seem right for them to be trying to set up their own Kingdoms not in 69 AD anyway.

Also a move like that would seem to give a player no advantages at all, would do nasty things to his social standing and would basically paint a large target on your back. Player who wants to do really, really well better off beating the hell out of the Barbarians to make himself really popular and obtain the required loot to pay the Legions their bonus and talking nicely to various players.

Think the Gov of Syria could have managed it and been accepted as Emperor by main player characters........problem is what would the Chaos Gods on Mount Agema do?

Jason2 likes this post

Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:04 am

Ad Infinitum for October 820 has shown up with further accounts of forum gossip and the trials and tribulations of a bunch of spiffing chaps in clean white toga’s with purple stripes as they try and make an honest denerii (from plunder, slave taking and farming…..but never trade) and save the light of civilization from being put out by various Druidic types, horse and camel nomadic raiders, pirates and assorted religious fanatics and traitors employed by the man in slippers and silk PJ’s the so called Parthian King of Kings.

For non players of Rome is Burning who may wish to consider joining the Toga Party (or perhaps even the smelly furs and leather party) here are the highlights as reported in Ad Infinitum:

1) Following the Romans finding out that their former ally King Radbod is a dirty snake in the grass and a failed attempt to liberate 24,000 Roman Citizens from Germanic slavery. Skirmishing has broken out all along the Rhine frontier.

In one such skirmish over a bridge the II Cohort of Legion XV got routed by a hundred beserkers with big axes. Which caused the whole Legion to move back from the frontier and leave Julius Civilis and his Batavian Cohorts as the sole defenders of that sector of the Roman west bank of the Rhine against their fellow Germans. Perhaps fortunately the Batavians dislike King Radbod the forked tongue even more than the Romans.

2) Back in Rome the Senate witnessed a lot of fawning over Consul Aulus D Geminus and a blazing row over how the treasury is being run. Which resulted in Lucius Aponius Felix who is both Procurator of Mosia and a Questor at the City Treasury launching into a passionate defence of the Treasury. Hitting the Senate with a ton of home truths before resigning his post and storming out of the Senate for a good sulk in Moesia. Probably with a lot of mates from the Moesian Cavalry who are also in a sulk over their rough handling by the rebel guard and lack of battlefield support.

Senator Gaius Aelius (yes yet another Aelii) the other Questor at the Temple of Saturn then calmed the row by agreeing that if in future a donation is given to the Treasury for a particular purpose then the Treasury Clerks will “ring fence” the money.

3) The fact however remains that both the city and the military treasury have regular spending is in excess of their regular revenue and are slowly going bust. While following the return of Lucius to Mosia both treasuries are now short of a Questor.

As next consular elections are not due May 821 and the need to fill these positions is urgent it is expected that the Consul in Rome will call for elections to fill the two vacant treasury positions. Any one standing will need to be of Senatorial Status, have a really thick skin and probably need deep pockets to help keep the treasury working while the great and good of Rome try and figure out a better funding system.

4) It seems that under Augustus and his heirs they basically used income from their private estate of Egypt to top up the Treasury and avoid upset to the Roman and Italian tax payer. The ex Questor before he resigned basically proposed to put this ad-hoc method on a formal basis with a 10% tithe of Egypt’s revenues being sent to the Roman Treasuries.

Since the divine Nero left his private estate to the Senate and People of Rome perhaps this is what he would have wanted and Roman Consul's may very well prefer this to a tax rise in Italia or other alternatives. But will the Authorities in Alexandria who are already having to cover deficit spending in Judea agree to co-operate?

5) In the Roman Legal field Consul Corbulo honoured another one of this election promises by strengthening Legal Protection for Roman Tennant farmers and olive trees. The other Consul did nothing to block this. Either he was not paid enough by “modern” farmers and speculators or recent experiences with slave labour pinching donkeys (property of the Danube Legions) has put him off turning so much of Italy into giant slave run estates which starves the Legions of their best recruits.

While the Senate tried to clear its backlog of legal cases ahead of possible treason trials for Cordus and his rebels. After letting off a couple of graffiti artists with a warning not to do it again. The Senate then tried to feed the Christian Apostle Simon to a pack of wild dogs. Unfortunately the mutts were off their food and so Simon avoided anything worse than a good licking and was let off with another warning and exile from the Roman Empire.

6) The noble Pontifex Maximus who is having a bad enough time keeping the peace in the Collegium Pontificum and lets not go into the rows between the Augars and the Vestals who object to animal entrails being left in their office space. Will no doubt be very unhappy about the Senate trying out new methods of execution……..which do not sodding work!

For an old style traditionalist like Marcus U Trajan the true Roman way is “Crucifiction” not a sentence to a petting farm. Basically if “Crucifiction” has worked perfectly well for hundreds of years why change something which works for something which does not?

7) South of Rome under the direction of the Field Consul Aulus Geminus and Aulus Vitellius (yes, yet more Aelii) the forces of the Senate and People of Rome spent month getting between the rebels and Rome and trying to trap the rebels in the toe of Italia. Lots of marching but no actual battles as yet.

Cool In Brunisium Senator Sulla who is the local Senator was busy with memorials and trying to patch up relations between the port city and the Navy and the other side of the Adriatic. At least this month no one got speared or had their memorial hit with a hammer.

9) Also trying patch up relations were the King of Marcomanni and local Danube Commanders. With 500 dead Roman soldiers and a load of stolen donkeys still missing this is a surprise to many who were expecting a stronger Roman reaction. However, it seems that the local Danube Leaders do seem to think the King has a point about armed Romans invading his lands without so much as a by your leave. But when have true Romans asked Barbarian Kings for permission to recover their own run away slaves and stolen livestock?

10) The legate of Britannia has confirmed that the province is a desolate waste. But believes that if Rome withdraws from the Island to save money this will hurt its standing and reputation. The Consuls were perfectly aware of this already. What they actually want to know is exactly how much the stalled invasion is costing and who is paying for it.

One possible clue relates to the “Iberian” raised Legions. Legion III Gallica are active as the very spear point of the Armies advance in the east. One is helping to hold the Rhine frontier against the barbarian hordes and a third is at home. While the other Iberian Legions apart from their depot troops and reserves are rusting on this god forsaken backwater. Dreaming of the sun and olive trees and writing home for extra warm socks, olive oil, silver, lead, their favourite fish source, extra horses, Spanish swords etc, etc etc. While sending their love to their favourite rope dancers and olive oil heiresses (sometimes the same girl) and pleading with the political and social leaders of Iberia like Glaba and Trajan for either withdraw to the sun or action.

Need for some type of action would seem to become even more pressing if Legion III Gallica win Glory, Loot and first dibs on all the best looking girls in Iberia by storming Ctesiphon and returning as Hero’s.

11) In Dalmatia they spent month doing Balkan type things. Though oddly no one reported as eat by a wolf, trampled by a rabid donkey, chewed up in a Harvester or knifed. This however was not enough to stop 3,400 citizens of Antioch taking one look at the region and turning on their heels and heading back to their civilized Greek Polis in sunny Syria.

12) In the East Cestus Gallus is building a new port for Antioch (whats wrong with the old one?) and twisting arms to demand more troops and displays of loyalty (Loyalty to Rome or Gallus is not fully clear).

With his already massive and impressive Army at Seleucia-Ctesiphon the troops of the most noble Governor of Syria have “convinced” 10,000 locals to work on field defences round Seleucia. While his crack Engineers have bridged the river from the south Seleucia bank to the northern Ctesiphon bank.

But oddly not a word, sign or even an arrow from the Parthians as the hob nailed boot of the Legions get ever closer to their capital. Some people thinks its “all rather quite…...too quite”.

13) Also out East in Emesa a new Legion – The Legion I Augusta Syriae is being raised. Leading some to ask if this means that Cestius Gallus is claiming to be Emperor since only an Emperor (Dictator for Life) can order the creation of a new Legion.

This however is not the case since Rome currently does not have a Dictator other senior magistrates such as Cestius can raise Legions in an emergency. Such as a Parthian invasion.

Actually what is shocking about this new Legion is the fact that its been equiped with long swords like Barbarians! Probably only a matter of time before Cestius Gallus goes totally Greek and starts to equip troops with silver shields and pikes to better counter Parthian Lancers.

14) Roman columns have marched into Judea and Axum. Rather worrying for Senator Gaius C Tuscus and his men the omens are not good. In fact they are bloody terrible.

No doubt some will say that this is what happens when a Christians from Alexandria are allowed to insult the Gods of Rome even in Rome itself and the worst punishment is to be licked by a puppy!

ALLOW NOT THIS MOCKERY OF THE GODS FOR MARS CAN SEE ALL ON THE BATTLEFIELD AND VERILY HIS TERRIBLE D20 OF FATE WILL SMITE DOWN ALL WHO BELIEVE NOT.

15) The Lady Barbatia (Trajan mother) has made it safely to Carthage to visit her sister (the one married to Titus Flavious). Her sea captain and his crew now need a drink.

Regor likes this post

Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Number of posts : 676
    Registration date : 2019-06-16

Post by Jason2 Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:50 pm

Many thanks for the latest summary Stuart, as ever detailed and informative...

...I suppose I can now reveal I have returned to Rome...

...but in a regeneration similar to the latest Dr Who one (though possibly a darker one), I have some confusion as I now seem to be wearing a toga and watering down my wine...

count-de-monet and Stuart Bailey like this post

Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:45 pm

Jason2 wrote:Many thanks for the latest summary Stuart, as ever detailed and informative...

...I suppose I can now reveal I have returned to Rome...

...but in a regeneration similar to the latest Dr Who one (though possibly a darker one), I have some confusion as I now seem to be wearing a toga and watering down my wine...

Help! Help team Rome is being infilrated from within. First it was the introduction of long swords in a legion next it will be the Army getting Chariots and beer and strong spirits being offered instead of wine !!

Jokes aside I am sure everyone is pleased to see the return of Jason2 to RIB and certainly beer was produced and drunk in parts of the Empire. Though I am unsure about spirits though I guess mead was also made in parts of the Empire. Does anyone have any information on Roman drinks other than wine?

On subject of Roman weapons trying to find out on how 1st Century AD Roman Marines were equiped and trained? Agema seems to have started them with a spear and that it !? Think three possible options seem likely a) That like in the Punic War the marines are basically standard Roman Infantry equiped for boarding b) That they were light Infantry equiped with missile weapons - as per many Greek galleys trained to target rival helmsmen, rowers, officers etc or c) They were something in between like a Greek Peltast.

In lack of evidence think the more blue water fleets from Greek ports of Southern Italy, Black Sea and the East are likely to be options b and c as more handy against fast and mobile pirate ships which still might pop up from time to time. While the more river taxi services of the northern frontier and which seems to have been under effective Army Command may have just used Army kit as that was what was to hand.

From what went before and then after with Venetian and Byzantine fleets I also wonder if instead of the traditional Roman land swords like the gladius the Roman Navy retained single bladed chopping swords like the Greek Kopis and the Iberian Falcata which later developed into the Falchion beloved by later Venetian and Balkan sailors. Since on a ship such heavy almost axe like blades are better of dealing with ropes and sails which may need to be cut away and long blades just get in the way.

And Romans being a very pragramatic bunch aways seem happy to adopt the best tool for the job. Sure Jason 2 will be able to help team Rome with such points while helping to improve the standard of Senatorial debates. Question remains is Jason 2 a Republican at heart or does he fancy himself in purple?

Jason2 likes this post

Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:39 pm

I shall keep a little quiet on the political leanings of my character for now...in part because I am not sure yet myself Smile  Though have plans for making a bit of a statement...which this space...

On Roman drink, other than wine I do know they drank something called Posca, a mix of vinegar/poor quality wine, water and various herbs.  Odd thing is the explanations I've seen of it vary a little on the vinegar/wine element-some talk of it including vinegar and others say poor quality wine or wine that had gone off.  Ok, it could be a case that vinegar = poor quality wine = wine that had gone off, but some descriptions talk of it including both vinegar and poor quality wine.  I suppose it could be a case of "using what you had to hand" and sometimes that was "vinegar" and sometimes "poor quality wine".  It does seem to be a drink of the civilian poor and also the rank and file of the army.

I did do a bit of googling and some of the better online sources talked of various wines with things added, such as honey (so a mead wine I guess?) and herbs and spices.  A Wiki article on Roman cuisine did talk of a recipe for a blend of wine, seawater (?), rosin (!) and pitch (!!!!) saying it was an acquired taste (!!!!!!!)  It doesn't sound like a taste I would like to acquire.

On beer, there is the usual thing about Romans seeing it as a barbarian's drink and not for them, fair enough.  At the same time there are archaeological finds of beer brewing in legionary bases and also a "pub" in Northern Britain that apparently showed evidence of "Romans" and local drinking in the same place.  My own take on it is the beer brewing archaeological evidence and the pub seem to date to the late 2nd C onwards.  I suppose the beer brewing evidence could be down to the legion being drawn from somewhere where beer drinking was the local tradition but I also wonder if beer drinking is something that becomes accepted later in the empire?  As citizen rights are extending more beyond Italy and more "non-Roman" traditions become more acceptable?  But in the game time period, it was beyond the pale for all upstanding (and falling down drunk?) Romans?

Did come across some references to cider and Romans, with dear old JC coming across it during his two holidays in Britain.  I have no issues with cider-brewing taking place at that time but the claims some make that JC then introduced cider drinking to Rome don't seem right to me.  No one seems to quote a roman source for that, I'm tempted to see the idea of Romans on the cider as a nice myth.

Can't see any references to any spirits being drunk by the Romans though I am sure I have heard of the Persians distilling some sort of spirit by this time?

Afraid I know nothing about Roman marines but I did find this article that might help https://brill.com/downloadpdf/book/edcoll/9789047430391/Bej.9789004160446.i-589_013.pdf
    Did find some online discussions that while in theory looked informative, they didn't include sources so no idea if they were accurate-for example this one https://www.quora.com/What-are-Roman-marines-equipped-with

Last edited by Jason2 on Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typos)

Regor likes this post

Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:39 pm

Since bee keeping gets more than a few mentions in Roman writers and honey was used in both Roman cooking and also in medicine to clean wounds. Happy for people to drink mead (Honey wine). Though its a lot easier to make large amounts of wine from grapes and lacking cane sugar to replace the honey they take Roman bee keepers would be limited in the amount of honey they can remove from hives without their bees dieing. (so Igor can stay out of Cooks valuable honey supplies and the Medicial chest and drink wine like normal people!).

Really do not like the sound of "Posca" and the other one with what sounds like resin or even pitch in it. Sounds like someone so desperate for a drink that they are hitting the cleaning fluid!! (Igor put the cleaning fluid down!).

Jason 2 says that evidence of beer drinking in Celtic areas in the north. I am also aware that beer was drink by the working man in Egypt and the Middle East as it was included as part of their pay. But like the Glori "small beer" debate question arises was it basically flavoured water and a way of making water supplies safer (bit like the Roman army mixing water with wine) or were a lot of the population half cut a lot of the time?

Probably safe to say the both Romans and Greeks were wine drinkers and social elite of other areas took up wine drinking as part of the whole being "civilized thing" along with several social layers below them esp in Urban areas. But no doubt many rural areas continued to brew their own beer esp if they could not grow own grapes easily and would have to import wine.

As for how strong it was - watched a program showing a modern brewer using old pre hoops methods of brewing and conslusion was such beer was perfectly good to drink but had virtually no shelf life. You litually made it with what was to hand and had to drink it within a couple of weeks if not days - so unlike wine its no use as a export product or in Army stores. Also strength of beer along with its taste would vary wildly depending depending on the batch.

But its probably fair to say if your Army/Tribe is drinking water wine or beer its a lot more sober than a Glori force hitting the Gin/Vodka/Rum etc.

As for Roman Marines interesting that they seem to have a seperate command structure to the actual Navy. With standard members of the Legions used as extra marines if required esp in the first Punic War and at other times such as under Nero when the Army needed troops in a hurry whole new Legions being raised from the Navy. Assume under Nero that with trained fighting men needed in a hurry we are talking about Marines taken from ships and used a regular Infantry rather than new troops being raised from rowers and other members of the Navy.

Interestingly in the first century AD the Marines were considered Auxiliaries and in theory lacked the citizen status required to serve in the Legions. So we have a bunch of Marines from Egypt who were entited to citizen status after 25 years service but got moved early to one of Nero's new legions argueing with success that reward of citizenship was based not on 25 years service but reward for honourable discharge on completion of service plus they had to be citizens to have ended up in a Legion in the first place. I agree with them......true mark of Roman Citizens ability of a large bunch of armed men able to argue their case in a court of law!

The fact that in 1st century AD the Marines on ships are classed as Auxiliaries rather confuses how they were trained and equiped since by this period the Legions (unlike earlier) were pure heavy Infantry/combat engineers with some artillery specialists. While the Auxiliary formations included Archers, Skirmishers, and basically every type of troop up too Infantry almost as heavy as the Legions.

However, think needs of shipborne service would seem to indicate lighter armour and esp avoiding plate armour prone to rust. Greater use of missiles and perhaps longer spears.......probably note the very long pikes of the Swiss or Macadon but something more like a boarding pike in length. Handy to keep people off your ship or clear a space if you want to board someone elses ship.

But other players may equally validly equip Marines as standard Roman Infantry. I suspect both are correct at different times and places.

Regor
    Regor
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 350
    Registration date : 2010-02-15

Post by Regor Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:38 am

Welcome homme Jason2. Good decision four us other players.

All, currently flooded out of Scotland and re-based in the Lakes scowling and shaking my fist at the North. (Very impressed with Vindolanda if you get chance to visit).

Thanks as ever Stuart for your observations and advice …… I wonder if we can ever catch the Guard and if we do will the troops actually fight them?

I wonder if the Consuls thought thier term would only involve “housekeeping”?

And I wonder if the chief of the gods, with his dice cup thought the game would ever take such a turn? He may have thought everyone would want to be king of the world!

Stay safe and I’ll start plotting on Sunday…
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:59 pm

Regor wrote:Welcome homme Jason2. Good decision four us other players.

All, currently flooded out of Scotland and re-based in the Lakes scowling and shaking my fist at the North. (Very impressed with Vindolanda if you get chance to visit).

Thanks as ever Stuart for your observations and advice ……  I wonder if we can ever catch the Guard and if we do will the troops actually fight them?

And I wonder if the chief of the gods, with his dice cup thought the game would ever take such a turn? He may have thought everyone would want to be king of the world!

Sounds like we could end up with the Geminus Wall being built in Britannia rather than round Rome. Well its probably a lot cheaper and you can use Army man power rather than dealing with the Roman Builders Guild and their rip off prices, Senatorial planning and probably complaint from all and sundry that you have ruined the view.

My guess is that depending who is actually in control of the Guard they will either escape by sea using gap when sea is still ok for merchant ships but too rough for War Galleys or they will just disband and vanish into the country-side due too high sickness level. Allowing Field Consul and other commanders to claim a success but nothing really impressive. The type of success which would allow a commander to walk a consul election or even get made Emperor by his troops.

Think being Consul for a year allows a player in RIB to see if he fances the job of Emperor, since the Consul has basically the same powers but only for a year after which he can face legal charges if he has done anything too outragious. Also all of this actions can be subject of other Consul's veto. Also allows other players to see if they think Consul would make a good Emperor.

Currently think two possible routes to the Purple either a) Player such as the current Governor of Syria covers himself in such glory by beating up Barbarians that he gets proclaimed Emperor by large chunk of Roman Army. Makes a few promises and has not fallen out with many fellow Romans resulting in other players going along with his claim to avoid a civil war b) Agema makes the smooth running of Republic so hard that the main Army Commanders agree on a experienced Senator to keep the Home front ticking over, try and balance the budget etc while they do the fun things.

Oddly game does seem to be split into three seperate game areas with Italy in the Middle for new players esp ones who fancy a shot at the purple I would say you have three types of Roman position I) Eastern - Probably the strongest player positions are in The East a land of great wealth with proper military campaigns. Problem for players who want to claim the Imperium from a Eastern base is that when you already control the best bits the rest seems a long way off and nothing like as important as problem on your own door step some of which could go up in flames with one careless match. II) The Northern Frontier zone includes the Rhine, Danube and British Legions - very strong in military terms put a bit poor in other ways. Military campaigns and raiding as likely as in the East and you do have a marked military advantage over the tribes in a stand up fight but how many troops can you move away from frontier to do other things without triggering something nasty in the woods III) Iberia and North Africa a quite zone were players can do social and political things.

Think its going to be interesting to see which of these three areas Jason 2 joins. As for the other side of the fence think RIB really could do with a player King of Dacia and perhaps a player King of Armenia for game balance. Bit like I always say Glori needs more Ottomans even if all they do is grow roses, dig canals and eat Turkish delight.

Regor and Jason2 like this post

Regor
    Regor
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Regor Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:53 pm

Stuart Bailey wrote:
    Regor wrote:Welcome homme Jason2. Good decision four us other players.

Thanks as ever Stuart for your observations and advice ……  I wonder if we can ever catch the Guard and if we do will the troops actually fight them?

Sounds like we could end up with the Geminus Wall being built in Britannia rather than round Rome.  Well its probably a lot cheaper and you can use Army man power rather than dealing with the Roman Builders Guild and their rip off prices, Senatorial planning and probably complaint from all and sundry that you have ruined the view.

My guess is that depending who is actually in control of the Guard they will either escape by sea using gap when sea is still ok for merchant ships but too rough for War Galleys or they will just disband and vanish into the country-side due too high sickness level.  Allowing Field Consul and other commanders to claim a success but nothing really impressive.  The type of success which would allow a commander to walk a consul election or even get made Emperor by his troops.

Think being Consul for a year allows a player in RIB to see if he fances the job of Emperor, since the Consul has basically the same powers but only for a year after which he can face legal charges if he has done anything too outragious.  Also all of this actions can be subject of other Consul's veto.  Also allows other players to see if they think Consul would make a good Emperor.

Currently think two possible routes to the Purple either a) Player such as the current Governor of Syria covers himself in such glory by beating up Barbarians that he gets proclaimed Emperor by large chunk of Roman Army.  Makes a few promises and has not fallen out with many fellow Romans resulting in other players going along with his claim to avoid a civil war b) Agema makes the smooth running of Republic so hard that the main Army Commanders agree on a experienced Senator to keep the Home front ticking over, try and balance the budget etc while they do the fun things.

Oddly game does seem to be split into three seperate game areas with Italy in the Middle for new players esp ones who fancy a shot at the purple I would say you have three types of Roman position I) Eastern - Probably the strongest player positions are in The East a land of great wealth with proper military campaigns.  Problem for players who want to claim the Imperium from a Eastern base is that when you already control the best bits the rest seems a long way off and nothing like as important as problem on your own door step some of which could go up in flames with one careless match.  II) The Northern Frontier zone includes the Rhine, Danube and British Legions - very strong in military terms put a bit poor in other ways.  Military campaigns and raiding as likely as in the East and you do have a marked military advantage over the tribes in a stand up fight but how many troops can you move away from frontier to do other things without triggering something nasty in the woods III) Iberia and North Africa a quite zone were players can do social and political things.

Think its going to be interesting to see which of these three areas Jason 2 joins.  As for the other side of the fence think RIB really could do with a player King of Dacia and perhaps a player King of Armenia for game balance.  Bit like I always say Glori needs more Ottomans even if all they do is grow roses, dig canals and eat Turkish delight.  

Well thats a great description but I think that being Emperor with all the Roman factions so disjointed looks like too much hard work and err, expense! I do agree that we need more and varied barbarian players. Otherwise we face the gods and their dice. I find it difficult to imagine all the Roman players wanting a shot at the purple or that that could agree the resources to send a relief column to a threatened province under the present ‘system’ …. Could anyone suggest how this could be overcome?

Jason2 likes this post

Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:56 pm

Thanks Regor Smile Will be interesting to play a Roman this time. I will keep quiet about who I am for another turn or so. No deep or dark reason, just want to work out how I am playing my character (for the greater glory of Rome of course).

Yep, Scotland was badly hit by the weather last weekend. luckily this part of Aberdeenshire got off lightly but still bad enough.

Must admit have no desire to wear Purple. I think anyone who ends up wearing it is going to need to be quite the diplomat, more so than a warrior.

Regor
    Regor
    Duke
    Duke

What’s your best Roman meme? - Page 10 Empty A polite reply

Post by Regor Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:30 pm

Totally agree! J2 but as someone else said, “politics is the art of the possible” and if Rome is to thrive then we have (as romans) to work mostly together.

Stuart is correct - players need to take a turn as Consuls to have an idea of how limited the power is!

I’d go further and suggest that the senate needs to be the place to suggest and debate policy and then allow it to happen…. Rather than just throw rocks…..

Anyhow glad you are safe as are we near Keswick now…
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:41 am

Jason2 wrote:Thanks Regor Smile  Will be interesting to play a Roman this time.  I will keep quiet about who I am for another turn or so.  No deep or dark reason, just want to work out how I am playing my character (for the greater glory of Rome of course).

Yep, Scotland was badly hit by the weather last weekend.  luckily this part of Aberdeenshire got off lightly but still bad enough.

Must admit have no desire to wear Purple.  I think anyone who ends up wearing it is going to need to be quite the diplomat, more so than a warrior.  

Sounds like Jason2 thinks what Rome is Burning needs is a Emperor in the style of Narva a very experienced Senator who took over as Emperor after the assassination of Nerva as a "stop gap" and a safe pair of hands who no one objected too.

Narva who was rather elderly and had no direct heir managed to rule for over a decade, balance the books and went down as one of the five good Emperors - only he failed to build a wall or a tower etc so is not so well remembered as the others.

Got round the lack of heir problom by "adopting" Trajan as is heir so clearly a spiffing chap. Though it should be noted that this Trajan is not the same Trajan as my character in game.

Assume Narva is alive and in his prime in RIB but not sure what he is doing.

Regor likes this post

Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:07 pm

Regor wrote:Totally agree! J2 but as someone else said, “politics is the art of the possible” and if Rome is to thrive then we have (as romans) to work mostly together.

Stuart is correct - players need to take a turn as Consuls to have an idea of how limited the power is!

I’d go further and suggest that the senate needs to be the place to suggest and debate policy and then allow it to happen…. Rather than just throw rocks…..

Anyhow glad you are safe as are we near Keswick now…

Think in RIB if you are elected Consul the main possibilities for your character are:-

a) Ability to pass legislation - which seems to have zero effect in game but may put your honour score up........or down.

So far the Home Consul sat in Rome has just passed a lot of legislation in total accordance with the manifesto on which he stood for election.  Which seems to be the safe option and has yet to cause any riots, revolts etc.

b) Command of the Roman Army

So far the Field Consul has chased the rebel guard around southern Italy using the forces of his friends and allies.  Do not think he has sent orders to any NPC's or Player characters and had them either acted upon or ignored.

Possible exception is the ordor to review the strength and condition of the troops in Britannia which has lead to a lot of armour polishing and drilling.

c) Call for information esp concerning the financial state of the Roman Empire and spend treasury money on pet projects perhaps named after the Consul

Basically we are going bankrupt and if you want to mark your period as Consul with some fancy walls etc - prepare to pay for it yourself.

d) Appoint your friends and allies to plum posts.

So far the Consuls have appointed their mate to the plum post of Gov of Asia..........pity the province was already in a state of revolt with its former governor claiming to be Emperor and probably taking back handers from the Parthia.

They have also given a new additional province to the governor of Egypt who also got a social promotion in Nero will.  The bad news is that the additional province was Judea generally accepted as the worst job in the Empire and a sink hole for a characters money.  

Suspect that my the time of the next election as consul the main election issues are going to be:

1) What to do about Britannia - once reports are in.

2) Revolt of Cordus will probably be over but the new Field Consul may need to still sort out revolt in Asia.

3) Its not sure but I think the East may have exploded in one way or another

Question is will be get a active election or players going "after you, no after you" since the one certain thing about being Consul is that you get the blame (or the credit?). Sure Jason will have a lovely time as Consul - we could even have the "Year of the Two Jasons". What could possibly go wrong?! Just as long as water and some woman called Medea is not involved.

Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:39 pm

Sorry but the idea of "The Year of Two Jasons" did make me laugh Very Happy

The greatest year Rome would ever know Very Happy
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:52 pm

Jason2 wrote:Sorry but the idea of "The Year of Two Jasons" did make me laugh Very Happy  

The greatest year Rome would ever know Very Happy

I would vote for the "Year of the Two Jasons" which will probably go down as a year of peace and plenty in which all the girl babies born were strong, boy babies handsome and various things involved with brewing and distillers were invented. Along with new foods which involve a stuffed sheeps stomach.

PROVIDED THE WILL OF THE GODS IS HONOURED AND THE CONSULS NEVER STEP ON A BOAT.

Actually to be on the safe side the whole Roman Army and Navy should not go anywhere near the sea or large rivers.

Regor
    Regor
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Regor Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:03 pm

The Year of the Two Jason’s the first year of a new direction for Rome ….. stand by….. err…. J2O.

I’ll hat my coat!🙄

Jason2 likes this post

Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:05 pm

Regor wrote:The Year of the Two Jason’s the first year of a new direction for Rome ….. stand by….. err…. J2O.

I’ll hat my coat!🙄

Oh god...if that's the level of jokes in the game, bring on the barbarian invasions Very Happy

Oh, I attended this online lecture this week on the Picts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=Ug3gHWYpX1A&fbclid=IwAR1KgG6FjLy93N9opuh3HTSOzZLV7MR403DV09LFtFHpVKgDAy85PWW1i84

Maybe not of a great amount of relevance to Rome but there are a few bits on how Rome viewed Northern Britain at various times from 1st-4th century. Plus I was anachronistically using Gordon Noble's research on the Picts when I was painting my face blue and yelling "Freedom" in the game (was doing a "Celtic Twlight" vibe)
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:46 pm

Jason2 wrote:
    Regor wrote:The Year of the Two Jason’s the first year of a new direction for Rome ….. stand by….. err…. J2O.

I’ll hat my coat!🙄

Oh god...if that's the level of jokes in the game, bring on the barbarian invasions Very Happy

Pretty sure that if a Consul or an Emperor cracks a joke its "funny" and you are surposed to laugh - even if you are too lacking in wit to understand the great man.

However think its fair to say that senior Romans with their emphasis on "Dignitas" and "Gravitas" were probably not great comic's and laugh a minute guys. Rather more dour accountants, plumbers, engineers and sports fan types.

I mean these were guys who needed to import Greek playwriters and Greek "Comedy" to even explain what a joke was and a lot of what is termed Greek Comedy is not exactly laugh a minute.

If players want to play up their "Comitas" - courtesy, friendliness and good humour and their "Humanitas" - humanity or more precisely learning and culture by our period this is ok. But some still see this as effeminate corruption introduced by the Greeks.

The way I am playing my faction is little Hardrian and his twin sister may tell a joke, Trajan Junior and his sister will laugh and their Grandfather Trajan Senior will smile in confusion. However, he is likely to laugh his head off if a rival to his beloved Blue's Chariot team fails to make the corner and crashes out (now that is a good laugh).
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:49 pm

When I was the noble Caledonian Stuart I did try to bring a bit of Sir Billy humour into the game...perhaps now I wear a toga, I ought to try something a bit more Up Pompeii
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:25 pm

Jason2 wrote:When I was the noble Caledonian Stuart I did try to bring a bit of Sir Billy humour into the game...perhaps now I wear a toga, I ought to try something a bit more Up Pompeii

I thought the German faction in RIB had already got the "comic slave" market cornered with a cross between Frankie Howard in Up Pompeii, Rocky horror show and various mad inventors.

While Otha was going for full Sid James trying to win a over a wealthy widow played by a young Barbara Windsor while not being distracted by his crack team of Rope Dancers.

Meanwhile Trajan Mother is 100% Cher from the 2nd Mama Meia...................its not easy being a Priest and basically Mr Respectable when your mother was the wing woman for Aggripiana the Younger (Mother of Nero). I am sure Trajan and his rather ordinary wife is and always will be a major disappointment to her. But perhaps her Grandchildren can do better?

Of course if you really want to get type caste as the "Scot" in Agema games the vacant positions at the treasury would seem to be a good start for your faction. Though I am not sure about the humour value (Ronnie Barker in Open all hours?) in the Roman Treasury..........its really not a laughing matter!! In fact its probably on a par with getting the Egypt player being made Gov of Judea.

While we seem to have almost as many Jewish factions as in Life of Brain we are still waiting for the "He is not the Massiah, he is a very naught boy" moment. Probably only a matter of time !!

However, not matter what path your Character follows I am sure he will improve the standard of debate in the Senate. Pity you seem to have missed the two year debate on fire safety and the one on land reform. But we still are due the one of drains, Walls parts 1-5 and the not to be missed "Shall we give the Iberians Latin rights just to shut them up?"

And if anyone is thinking of voting against......just remember hell has no fury like a Iberian scorned. You could get a visit from "Cher"

Regor likes this post

Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:35 pm

Thanks Stuart Smile does seem there is a lot of humour potential already underway in Rome Very Happy Must admit, wonder if taking inspiration from the US sitcom "Parks and Recreation" might be something, the work of the poor hard put-upon Treasury officials as they try to balance the books...or perhaps "Yes Minister", I mean making Sir Humphrey fully Roman wouldn't be that much of a push.

It does sound like we have some epic debates ahead Smile I came, I saw, I conquered the fatbergs

i think I now understand why the Year of Four Emperors happened...after debates on things drains and city walls, a civil war might come as light relief Very Happy

Regor likes this post

Regor
    Regor
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Regor Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:51 am

Stuart, how very Roman of you to bring the comedy thread back to latin rights……. Rather proving your point. 😉  

Meanwhile i see we have uppity tribes rising on the Rhine and Danube so ignoring the “Year of No Emperors [in Rome]“ perhaps the gods of A are tempting us to look back at our borders? [Aside with rolling eyes 🙄:] it is frustrating that the chaos of various internal conflicts has been unable to be thrashed out by either individual or groups of players.

I’m up for playing up the comedy as a  stress reliever but worry that we are not quite making Roman-like progress? Perhaps my understanding of history is a bit weak?

Jason2 likes this post

Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:13 pm

A good point on the borders. I guess also if someone goes and remind the barbarians of the might and glory of Rome and how inferior they are by comparison (did I just type that? Calcagus-Jason must be spinning in his grave), they could then gain enough prestige to put Rome in order.

Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:28 pm

Jason2 wrote:A good point on the borders.  I guess also if someone goes and remind the barbarians of the might and glory of Rome and how inferior they are by comparison (did I just type that?  Calcagus-Jason must be spinning in his grave), they could then gain enough prestige to put Rome in order.

You are not playing the Gov of Syria by any chance? As thay seems to be his current plan in Parthia.
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:06 pm

Stuart Bailey wrote:
    Jason2 wrote:A good point on the borders.  I guess also if someone goes and remind the barbarians of the might and glory of Rome and how inferior they are by comparison (did I just type that?  Calcagus-Jason must be spinning in his grave), they could then gain enough prestige to put Rome in order.

You are not playing the Gov of Syria by any chance?  As thay seems to be his current plan in Parthia.

No, not me Gov, honest! Thinks a bit too much of a military focused position for me Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 5:20 am