Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+27
Goldstar
mmcdhoward
HaroldB
Bearlord
MarkTurner26
one grain of grain
J Flower
Stuart Bailey
Mustang Shooting Stars
Basileus
The Hessian
Flanker79
baggins
Hammer of God
The Little Corporal
tek_604
jamesbond007
Moshe
Richard D. Watts
revvaughan
the great unwashed
Ardagor
count-de-monet
Deacon
Marshal Bombast
Kingmaker
Frank
31 posters

Game 8

the great unwashed
    the great unwashed
    Viscount
    Viscount

Number of posts : 176
    Registration date : 2010-08-15

Game 8 - Page 13 Empty Re: Game 8

Post by the great unwashed Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:52 pm

Mustang Shooting Stars wrote:Be interesting to see, say, a rich papal states recruit the pirates and some of the rebels as its land and sea forces and maybe even free the slaves of Africa as a massive unskilled army - for example Smile
    There are of course some who might frown on such talk of freeing the slaves of Africa, especially North Africa...
    the great unwashed
    the great unwashed
    Viscount
    Viscount

Post by the great unwashed Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:15 pm

Can't help but note that in the portal all have gone very quiet with this game.

Post by Guest Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:26 pm

I know...and what with the Burmese invading...the Spanish apparently going to attack the Dread Moghul whilst having a civil war at the same time...and the Japanese practicing a spot of urban renewal...there's a lot going on Wink
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:02 pm

I'm still baffled by the hole in the middle of the game.

What in the world is france doing not talking to anybody and almost pretending the position isn't in play?

It just makes the whole game weird!
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2565
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:22 pm

Perhaps he is just shy? Or has seen what happened when we have had active and dominant governments running France in G2 & G7.........almost before you could brink Germanic types were planning another war of the Grand Alliance.

Post by Guest Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:28 pm

...as long as you strange barbarians fight amongst yourselves, we civilised peoples care not... Twisted Evil
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:50 pm

Stuart Bailey wrote:Perhaps he is just shy? Or has seen what happened when we have had active and dominant governments running France in G2 & G7.........almost before you could brink Germanic types were planning another war of the Grand Alliance.

"Brink"? The truth is out! It's the Chinese conspiring to create war in Europe! Very Happy

I guess each to his own, but his silence I don't think will protect him if somebody wants to have a go. It certainly can't help his honour standings and his ability to keep his army in the field and working if it comes to that.

I guess it just baffles me. If you don't want to talk to anybody, why would you play this game? Just buy Civ, a great computer game, and play with yourself to your heart's content!

Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:38 am

BTW, Turn around time isn't great, march 28 for the last turn, april 25th for this one.

I don't relish playing the game in real time, I'll be dead before I accomplish much.

Any ideas if this will get better?
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Number of posts : 621
    Registration date : 2009-04-07

Post by jamesbond007 Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:30 am

Or perhaps Richard plays France in game eight? Or the player is playing but protesting the fact that certain friends have teamed up from the start and been given linked positions? who knows,all will be revealed?

Turn around times have been roughly a month per turn for the last year or so.I have to agree with Deacon, we could all be dead before game eight concludes.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:24 pm

Well, I don't know about the friends part. If you don't trust Richard to police that to ensure no undue advantage is taken, then might as well not play the game. I assume that's sort of the corollary of the game rule that you can't 'will' your position to a friend when you leave or set it up so he can just take over.

Why do you think that Richard might be playing France? One of the more recent additions to the game said it wasn't available as a position making me think it is in play. If Richard were playing it, I have no idea what he's on about! It would be a pretty strange choice for Richard to forgoe the revenue on the position to play it himself and then have it be so insular.

It's hard to have a historical simulation of 18th century Europe without France!
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:46 am

Odd.........G8 moaning that their Louis seems to have taken a vow of silence and does not speak.

While G7 was moaning about their Louis going on at great length and hectoring them in painfull detail.

I am forced to conclude that some people are never happy and perhaps G7 & G8 should consider a exchange of Sun Kings.

As a matter of interest what is the G8 Louis like as a war leader and dealing with rabid ferrets in leather gear?
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:29 am

Nobody has any idea. He has literally never spoken.
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Number of posts : 621
    Registration date : 2009-04-07

Post by jamesbond007 Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:38 am

Deacon wrote:
    Well, I don't know about the friends part. If you don't trust Richard to police that to ensure no undue advantage is taken, then might as well not play the game. I assume that's sort of the corollary of the game rule that you can't 'will' your position to a friend when you leave or set it up so he can just take over.

Why do you think that Richard might be playing France? One of the more recent additions to the game said it wasn't available as a position making me think it is in play. If Richard were playing it, I have no idea what he's on about! It would be a pretty strange choice for Richard to forgoe the revenue on the position to play it himself and then have it be so insular.

It's hard to have a historical simulation of 18th century Europe without France!

I do trust Richard to police the game. Which is why i am playing it in the proper spirit.But perhaps the French player does not see it like that. Perhaps he sees husbands and wife's in the same game as in game diplomacy. Perhaps he sees best, out of game friends who team up with positions of the same faith and geographicly next to each other as clear in game diplomacy. Perhaps he hears and reads two of the above, making the biggest noises, about not indulging in ingame diplomacy and preaching to others as very hypocritical.Perhaps this is why he is playing the position as he is.

For the record, i don't believe that Richard is playing france. It was suggested to me by an in game player.I also have no problem with any of the above.But it does make sense that the French player could. It would explain his actions.It would be hard to find any other ingame action, as to why he would play france as he is.Perhaps all will be revealed after the spanish succession?
    Ardagor
    Ardagor
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 427
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by Ardagor Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:39 pm

I have not seen any activities from France in the London Gazette, not as much as a party, trade mission or ambassador and it seems few if any letters have left Versailles in the last 18 months, I assume France is active because somebody else would have taken over if not. It certainly seems like a strange way to run any nation and in particular a powerhouse such as France. I wonder what he is doing, just talking to his ministers in private and building stuff? Must get boring after a while.
    France will have to talk to Austria/Spain at least when King Carlos dies or he may be left out of the Spanish succession altogether.
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1239
    Registration date : 2012-02-16

Post by J Flower Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:52 pm

I wonder have there been any troop movements from France, or Fleets moving around as they are usually pointers that players are doing something? Normally some kind of reports find there way into the Gazette, if nothing else it gives the player a feed back on there actions in Game.

Isuppose all of us have our own particular style of play, mayhap this is a new one.
    count-de-monet
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 379
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by count-de-monet Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:59 pm

Early in 1700 a few key French officials realised the Sun King was a loon, and in fact could turn out like the Game 7 incarnation and see leather clad ferrets who barked in every shadow.

His identical twin brother resided in a secret prison wearing an iron mask.

So a switch has taken place, The Sun King is now Phillippe not Louis but he darent show his face, or utter a single word for fear that he may be found out.

The Truth is Out There
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:17 pm

I just went back and looked, in the first 6 months, no ambassadors, no trade missions, nothing. And I don't recall anything since.

But I know the position has done something since some of the specials I've tried to hire have already been engaged by France.
    The Hessian
    Lord
    Lord

Number of posts : 85
    Registration date : 2010-09-28

Post by The Hessian Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:49 pm

Portugal....Portugal....Portugal.....
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:15 pm

The Hessian wrote:Portugal....Portugal....Portugal.....

What? You want me to confess I'm secretly running France too? Very Happy
    the great unwashed
    the great unwashed
    Viscount
    Viscount

Post by the great unwashed Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:21 pm

Perhaps Louis has a cunning plan. How can others formulate a strategy towards him when no-one has any idea what he's up to. Perhaps he's just waiting to see what develops and then all will be made clear. The problem with that is it could leave him isolated with no friends.

Post by Guest Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:52 pm

count-de-monet wrote:Early in 1700 a few key French officials realised the Sun King was a loon, and in fact could turn out like the Game 7 incarnation and see leather clad ferrets who barked in every shadow.

His identical twin brother resided in a secret prison wearing an iron mask.

So a switch has taken place, The Sun King is now Phillippe not Louis but he darent show his face, or utter a single word for fear that he may be found out.

The Truth is Out There

Silly man, it's not the ferrets that are the threat...it's the Pandas...
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:21 pm

Perhaps G8 Louis has studied the history of the ferret in leather gear in G7
    ........two friends, two wars started to help friends, two "friends" drop out leaving Ferret in deep trouble..........or has had similiar bad experiences with Friends and allies himself and has decided to do without.

After all if you are planning to annex the whole of the Spanish Empire as soon as King Carlos pops off you really dont want to be distracted or feel compared to share do you?

As Jason said "The truth is out there".........Louis is plotting to annex the Spanish Empire and does not want to talk to anyone who may not support him. To quote the Ferret "simples"

Post by Guest Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:50 pm

Only annex the Spanish Empire? shows a distinct lack of ambition...I mean, what about the rest of the world Very Happy
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Game 8 - Page 13 Empty Quotes of Louis XIV

Post by Stuart Bailey Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:10 pm

Today Spain................Tomarrow the World. sunny

Post by Guest Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:49 am

...tomorrow? You'll be a day later... Razz

Sponsored content