Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+14
Stuart Bailey
Richard D. Watts
Kingmaker
Basileus
Frank
The Hessian
Ardagor
Regor
Deacon
jamesbond007
baggins
Goldstar
tek_604
count-de-monet
18 posters

G7 - France vs. England

G7 - France vs. England - Page 12 Empty Re: G7 - France vs. England

Post by Guest Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:53 pm

Deacon wrote:
    IF I were England, I could agree to a lot, but surrendering the navy would have been catastrophic.

Just to clarify it was only England's Baltic Fleet which would have been surrendered, some 58SoL (from memory) out of a total of perhaps 150. Many of those SoL could really be heavy frigates, but are described as SoL in the newspapers. At the moment I think William still has 109SoL in the Humber where they are blockaded and deprived of port facilities, they are dropping to bits. That is the real catastrophe! I agree it was a tough clause, but at the time it was a response to that fleet's actions in denying grain supplies from a 3rd party reaching France to alleviate famine. If the fleet in question had only numbered 5SoL, then it would have only been a case of surrendering 5SoL.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:55 pm

Still, a third of the english fleet is quite a lot.

Though I could understand your position if they had denied you grain. It might be a legitimate war tactic to damage the economy of an enemy nation, but it isn't very honorable.

Post by Guest Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:37 pm

Deacon wrote:
    It might be a legitimate war tactic to damage the economy of an enemy nation, but it isn't very honorable.

Yes, it made me rather cross Exclamation

At the time the player for England was writing to France. He had admitted guilt (which he confirmed in public), but refused to make any amends. Although he didn't actually throw down the gauntlet and ask me what I was going to do to about getting satisfaction, his actions certainly left nobody in any doubt of his real feelings. France and England were not at war at the time, so he was simply rubbing salt in the wound. There is only so much provocation any player can put up with.

Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:44 pm

Wow. In peace?

I can barely see the legitimacy of it in wartime, but to do that to a country when not at war sure seems like a great Casus Belli to me! And doing it to a country with the power of France seems just... stupid.

I personally think that's a more legitimate cause for war than even the dredger thing.

Post by Guest Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:17 pm

Yes - stupid certainly.

I consider the famine was caused by the collapse in the canals caused by the non-arrival of the dredger mission. All this might have been a series of uncoordinated blunders rather than a deliberate strategy by the player for England. France could have suffered a famine anyway as that is just part of the game. But with such strained relations anyway, to be that provocative really was pushing me too far.

I hadn't thought of the fleet's actions as a Casus Belli, but now you point it out, it is rather obvious. I like things tidy and the dredger issue was a clearly documented breach which England had not denied and could not deny, whereas it is difficult to prove the actions of the fleet were ordered by the player and not simply a rogue admiral who wanted a few prizes.

You know how thorough I am in preparing a case Smile and the principle that a ruler should keep his word is basic. That principle is what the war was really all about, and this is something certain Hapsburgs still don't understand.

Post by Guest Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:28 pm

I must admit I agree with Deacon, the fleet actions do seem more of a reason for war than the dredger...though both combined were more than a reason!

Post by Guest Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:43 pm

Jason/Deacon, you may both be right - all I can add is that at the time I didn't think about it in those terms. Sometimes I guess a player gets too close to his own position to see other alternatives, and once the propaganda started it was even more difficult to present what was a complicated set of reasons and objectives.

I don't think it would have made any difference to the actions of other players, though, as the fleet's actions were detailed in the original peace terms offered, so everyone who read them were fully aware that it was on the list of French grievances.

Perhaps now you will understand just how difficult a campaign it has been. If I was simply out to destroy England then it would have been much easier, but at each stage I tried to offer each new player terms for peace whilst also negotiating with King James. The more damage I did to England, the longer it would be before England could defend itself and French troops leave. The overall cost to France has been very high, but I don't see I had any choice but to declare war.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:03 pm

If I were France, and the English fleet denied me grain when we weren't at war resulting in a lot of famine deaths, I think I'd give a rousing speech to the nation about the murderous English starving French babies to death, and try to extract a few pounds of flesh at least.

From the outside looking in, I view the dredger one as more of a mixed bag. They may have broken the treaty, but if you built a whole bunch of canals before you had the technology to maintain them, then that is your fault, at least in significant part.

I certainly lack the experience with the game that many here have, but in my short tenure, I've found that things go wrong with remarkable frequency, so best to have your insurance in place!

Post by Guest Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:18 am

Hmm,

in hindsight you have a point! I built the canals after the agreement was made with England and France had fulfilled its part of the bargain. There was nothing complicated there at all to hold the deal up. It took a year to build the canals during which England failed to send the mission, and it was a few more months after that before the canals collapsed. So England had about 18 months to comply with her obligations and each time I asked about it she kept promising all this time that she would send a mission.

I think you have to be prepared to trust the players you are dealing with. If you want to hire mercenaries then you send payment in the expectation those troops will be delivered. If you want to buy grain then you send payment in expectation the grain will be delivered. If you want to swap dredger missions and you send yours, you expect the other party to send theirs. It was a very simple, straightforward commercial deal which France fulfilled and England didn't. I guess I will never know why England didn't. It is very easy to view all players with suspicion and expect them to be hostile (particularly as France!), but in my long experience with the game such attitudes can be counter-productive. There always used to be a certain altruism in the game: if you help others, they help you. And that requires trust. This has changed over the years, but thankfully there are enough 'old school' players out there who operate on the same principles as I do. And that is why France went to war - to defend the principle that a ruler should keep his word. It is a principle so fundamental to life and the game, that it is worth going to war over. Where there is no longer a Court Agema to deal with breaches of treaty, what mechanism is there to encourage players to keep their word, but honesty and personal integrity? If, as a player, you are known for keeping your word then others will have confidence in dealing with you; if you break your word/treaty then how can others trust you not to do it again? If players want to be dishonest then they can play pirate kings where such behaviour is rewarded. Although many rules have changed over the years, I'm fairly sure that is somewhere in the explanation of standards of gameplay expected from players.

It probably seems odd to you, but I didn't want to be inflammatory and wanted good relations with all nations (as I still do). Perhaps having been given the opportunity to cause trouble for France, the player simply took advantage of the situation. If I was naturally touchy and belligerent then I could find excuses every month to declare war on just about anyone. I could, for instance, declare that only blue hats were to be worn at court, then because an ambassador wore a black one, claim the disrespect shown to King Louis was intolerable and declare war! We all have choices as to the game lines we play. I guess back then the player for England decided to be awkward, then when his gambit failed he left the game and other players have paid for his choice ever since.
    The Hessian
    Lord
    Lord

Number of posts : 85
    Registration date : 2010-09-28

Post by The Hessian Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:15 pm

Whilst this has been hugely informative, there is no positive proof that England actually signed a treaty with France I dont remember seeing any publication of said treaty with signatures that was broken so at this minute we are purely listening to the only player left from supposed agreement in the game and with no proof either way re the validity of Frances case!

Post by Guest Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:58 pm

The Hessian wrote:Whilst this has been hugely informative, there is no positive proof that England actually signed a treaty with France I dont remember seeing any publication of said treaty with signatures that was broken so at this minute we are purely listening to the only player left from supposed agreement in the game and with no proof either way re the validity of Frances case!

It was never necessary to publish the agreement as the player for England at the time freely admitted his own guilt in the Herald. Proof was supplied at the time to all relevant parties. I have no control over what is published in the newspapers. Even the Hapsburgs have accepted that the agreement was broken, so other than attempting to deliberately insult France and question my own honesty, I don't see the relevance of your post.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:03 pm

The Real Louis of France wrote:
    The Hessian wrote:Whilst this has been hugely informative, there is no positive proof that England actually signed a treaty with France I dont remember seeing any publication of said treaty with signatures that was broken so at this minute we are purely listening to the only player left from supposed agreement in the game and with no proof either way re the validity of Frances case!

It was never necessary to publish the agreement as the player for England at the time freely admitted his own guilt in the Herald. Proof was supplied at the time to all relevant parties. I have no control over what is published in the newspapers. Even the Hapsburgs have accepted that the agreement was broken, so other than attempting to deliberately insult France and question my own honesty, I don't see the relevance of your post.

I'm inclined to believe France on this score for the simple reason that if France were looking for an excuse to go to war, there are a lot easier ways to get excuses than this.

In Game 3, The Americans (independent) sent an ambassador to the Caddo indians. The indians killed and ate him. The Americans rather justifiably I think, declared war on the Caddo, and then France declared war on the Americans in defense of their allies. Off topic, I know, but if Game 3 France can declare war in defense of cannibalism(!), I'm pretty sure this France could have come up with something other than collapsing canals and failure to provide spoon dredger technology.

Post by Guest Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:22 pm

I agree with Nick...erm I mean Deacon Wink

It does seem that Game 7 seems to invoke more passion than most games, almost makes me wish I was in it Wink

Just out of interest, is Scotland involved in the war?

Post by Guest Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:49 pm

Jason wrote:Is Scotland involved in the war?

I don't know.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2571
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:33 am

I dont think even hard line opponents of the French deny that the Williamite English Government of the day failed to send France its promised spoon dredgers before dropping out of the game. Or that a series of short term English administrations did not handle the issue very well. Even though it has to be said that Louis has an outstanding ability to really wind up English, Hapsburg and Bavarian Leaders etc,etc.

Also not under dispute is Louis right to declare war on anyone he wants to declare war on.

What lead to support for England (even though it was in the wrong) was the view that Louis original terms were "unfairly" harsh esp to a new government which had not been directly responsible for the broken agreement and he was using a minor trade dispute as a vehicle to break the treaty which ended the nine years war, back out of his acknowlegement of William and put a French Noble on the throne of England. Most people also held that what caused the French Famine was shortage of grain not lack of means to move it.

Following the attack by the Emperor Louis terms for England are now fairly mild, only problem is that to get these mild terms the English factions will have to abandon their alliance with the Hapsburgs and the Dutch, and abandon their parliamentary and religious settlement in favour of a 17 year old youth brought up as a papist and frenchman since the age of six months.

So far four reasons have been hinted at why not one of the English factions (apart from the Jacobites) have publically accepted James as King and Louis mild terms:

1) The are honourable men who will not make a peace and abandon their allies

2) They dont trust each other and dont want to give their rivals a "propaganda" gift

3) They are scared of the Hapsburgs and the Dutch

4) They are waiting for a "German Prince on a White Horse" or perhaps "William Wallace Mk 2" to save them

Louis terms for the Habsburgs remain brutal inc the end of the HRE and execution of the Emperor by his own son. This means that after a famine and a war with England France is now faced with another we longer war but what the future holds for England, Scotland, Ireland and the Americas who knows?

On the bright side Letters of Marque should be good for a fair while yet. pirat

a hards abandoy hafoll

Post by Guest Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:56 am

Stuart Bailey wrote:What lead to support for England (even though it was in the wrong) was the view that Louis backed out of his acknowledgment of William.

Stuart - France never acknowledged William (the son), nor was ever obliged to. There are different translations of the Treaty of Ryswick - the historical sticking point seemed to be the translation of the Latin words which in English can mean recognise or acknowledge. I don't have the linguistic skills to debate this aspect further, but suggest that if the best linguists of the time couldn't agree among themselves as to the semantics, it is one of those areas where we'll have to accept there will never be agreement. As an example of how the words recognise and acknowledge mean different things, the Treaty of Tordesillas (1494) divided all lands outside Europe between Portugal and Spain. I can acknowledge Spain's claim under that treaty, but I do not recognise Spain's title. Recognition is much deeper, implying acceptance of all the claims of the other party, which historically it is documented that Louis did not. Agreeing not to attack someone does not automatically mean you agree with their right to be ruler, and historically both Louis and Leopold upheld the hereditary principle that the Stuarts were the rightful kings of England. It was one of the few things they agreed on!

I have made it clear throughout that the French interpretation is that Louis promised not to support James Stuart (the father) to regain his throne during the lifetime of William of Orange. However, this obligation ended when the original protagonists (William or James) died, which they both have done now in the game. In the game I have (perhaps predictably) followed the French interpretation of that Treaty, backing James Stuart (the son, the current King James) after the death of his father in 1701, which was the first time I was contacted by James. I think I still have the letter somewhere.

Constitutionally William was not king in his own right, but because he was married to Mary Stuart. France was never obliged to acknowledge William's son following his father's death. In real history, of course, William didn't have a son and the crown passed rather reluctantly to Anne (Stuart). Her reluctance to accept was because she knew her own claim was not as strong as that of her close relative, James! No matter which way you look at it, a Stuart ended up as King/Queen of England.

The terms you refer to regarding the Hapsburgs were withdrawn having been rejected by both sides. France has not published any new terms and is not likely to: as I stated in published comments in the newspapers over the last few months, it is down to the aggressor (Austria) to justify her actions and propose peace to end the separate Austrian-French war. The rules of the forum prevent me from commenting any further on this, so we will all have to wait for developments, frustrating though that may be for many.

The Hessian
    Lord
    Lord

Post by The Hessian Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:17 pm

so other than attempting to deliberately insult France and question my own honesty, I don't see the relevance of your post[b]

Im sorry since when was it deemed that one had to have your permission(France) to post on this forum just in case you dont like it or feel its nothing to do with Frances point!

That response of yours was damned rude and you should be ashamed particularly as you wish so publicly for everybody to feel sorry for you. I stated a legitimate point and as I have been in the game since the start I said it as I remember it. If you dont like then tough. Now I see exactly why you have so many public and silent enemies.

Post by Guest Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:13 pm

Hessian - I don't police this forum, and have never suggested people need my permission to post. I take exception to anyone who suggests so blatantly that my word is not to be trusted, be it within the game or on this forum. You seem to have some personal issue with me or my character. To save you further embarrassment I have referred your comments to the moderators who I am sure will take the appropriate action.

The Hessian
    Lord
    Lord

Post by The Hessian Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:16 pm

Excuse me I have done no such thing as to state your word is not to be trusted, I merely asked for PROOF! as I have been in this game from the start and cannot remember seeing such a document. That is all I stated and you ripped into me and now you send my comments to the moderators for appropriate action ! Now you sound like the class prefect, will it be lines after school. Really if your skin is that thin you shouldnt really indulge in the way that you do on this forum.
    Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1673
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by Kingmaker Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:05 pm

Ok guys cam it down I will re read the posts
    BUT remember this is a forum to exchange ideas meet and general enjoy the game not a place to slag each off.

THIS IS A GAME PLAYED THROUGH CHARACTERS, NO REASON FOR REAL WORLD TO GET INVLOVED AND ACCUSSE EACH OTHER OF ANY THING.
    Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1673

Post by Kingmaker Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:45 pm

Ok reading the subject it was a disccusion on how the war started and the cause, reasonable so far. But please do not accuse ppl of anything, remember things happen that players are not aware of or even privvy too , the way the GM likes it and more real world than anything.

I think further discussions on the this subject should be limited to game play and stuff.

I will just say that from now on I expect ppl to post in a respectable fashion and not insult or abuse ppl.

If I see any more I may take the unusal step of barring ppl or restricting what they can do on here....
    count-de-monet
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 379

Post by count-de-monet Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:41 pm

well, well, well who saw that coming (news from London) ?

The Austrian reason for war is now over....and if they wish to progress their action against France, they can focus wholly on mainland Europe.
    Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 458
    Registration date : 2011-07-01

Post by Basileus Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:57 pm

Eh? Has a turn come out today? I'm thinking that being in deepest darkest Wales I am a day behind because of slow postal delivery.
    Whats happened? Smile
    Ardagor
    Ardagor
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 427

Post by Ardagor Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:19 pm

The (new) English player has accepted the peace treaty already signed between James Stuart and France. And France declares war on Austria over one page, so no peace in sight.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2571
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:01 pm

Does this mean that England has turned Jacobite?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 5:14 pm