Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+20
Thelittleemperor
Rozwi_Game10
jamesbond007
The Revenant
Ardagor
Bearlord
Nexus06
count-de-monet
The Hessian
mmcdhoward
Regor
MarkTurner26
J Flower
Goldstar
Kingmaker
Basileus
one grain of grain
Stuart Bailey
Deacon
Redtroop44
24 posters

The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.

The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.  - Page 10 Empty Re: The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.

Post by Guest Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:18 pm

A good question Smile I would be tempted to ask Agema for some guidance. My understanding that 'natural science' can cover a lot of disciplines
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 479
    Registration date : 2015-04-14

The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.  - Page 10 Empty Re: The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.

Post by Nexus06 Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:08 am

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
    Jason wrote:A good question Smile  I would be tempted to ask Agema for some guidance.  My understanding that 'natural science' can cover a lot of disciplines
    Ardagor
    Ardagor
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 427
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by Ardagor Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:38 am

I assume it would be for the study of the natural world around you. Collecting, studying, counting various living and non-living specimens to figure out how they work. I assume you just Select a what they should study and set them to work.

I have a team of botanist out collecting plant samples from across the nation. With another group back at a Academy trying to cataloguing them.
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Nexus06 Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:12 am

And have you had any interesting advantage doing this or it is youst to keep in touch with the spirit of the century (Wich is of course more than perfect)
    Ardagor
    Ardagor
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 427

Post by Ardagor Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:23 am

I suppose some interesting advantage may show up but I started the project just for fun. And to assemble the botanical knowledge of the nation in the Great book of Botany.

I once had a Science Acadamy and did not know of any project they could start on, so I told them to start working on anything they like and they came up with Improved knowledge of hunan anatomy.
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Nexus06 Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:26 am

Cool
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:10 pm

In game 8, I have an academy working away on cataloging microscopic life.

I have Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek working for me, father of the microscope.

I don't really expect any advantage out of it at all, but my king is quite interested in science, so it seems something he would do.

I think the game is richer when you play it as more than just a war/economy game.
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Nexus06 Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:12 pm

Deacon wrote:
    In game 8, I have an academy working away on cataloging microscopic life.

I have Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek working for me, father of the microscope.

I don't really expect any advantage out of it at all, but my king is quite interested in science, so it seems something he would do.

I think the game is richer when you play it as more than just a war/economy game.

I agree with you
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Nexus06 Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:14 pm

Taking on a different aspect; in this particular game things ar going very easy. But a war game isn't a war game without a war.

Wich will be, in your opinion, the next war in game 9?
    Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 458
    Registration date : 2011-07-01

Post by Basileus Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:57 pm

I think there are plans in the offing which will appear over the next few months. I do agree, fundementally this is a war game. We just like to stack up the advantages, but I cannot see how having a succesful botanist programme helps. That being said I tried in game 9 to have a naturalist explore Newfoundland but that seemed to just get me into diplomatic problems.
    I did try to engage in philosophy and the age of enlightenment in game 9 but just ended up in a seventeenth century style religous slanging match. Which I think other players with a 21st century set of sensibilities did not like. Personally, I have a pope Francis mug at work, but it seemed to be the right thing as a beligerent Sweden to have a go at catholic dogma.
    I have been reading too much from the list of Horus Heresy (warhammer 40,000) books recently and having Prince Eugene executed in game 7. So on the spectrum of being restrained and exploring natural philosophy or outright war -its blood for the blood god as far as I am concerned.
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Nexus06 Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:20 pm

Basileus wrote:I think there are plans in the offing which will appear over the next few months. I do agree, fundementally this is a war game. We just like to stack up the advantages, but I cannot see how having a succesful botanist programme helps. That being said I tried in game 9 to have a naturalist explore Newfoundland but that seemed to just get me into diplomatic problems.
    I did try to engage in philosophy and the age of enlightenment in game 9 but just ended up in a seventeenth century style religous slanging match. Which I think other players with a 21st century set of sensibilities did not like. Personally, I have a pope Francis mug at work, but it seemed to be the right thing as a beligerent Sweden to have a go at catholic dogma.
    I have been reading too much from the list of Horus Heresy (warhammer 40,000) books recently and having Prince Eugene executed in game 7. So on the spectrum of being restrained and exploring natural philosophy or outright war -its blood for the blood god as far as I am concerned.

Most of the speech is way too "slang" for me to understand. What you are saying is that the game itself push you on war?
    (Sorry but many elements of your post are really hard for me to translate.)

I think our game 9 is too badly impacted by the fact that we are few players, and many important positions in central Europe seems to be missing. I find it hard to crete a net of diplomacy when most of the main position are missing (I think that Prussia, Hannover and UP are not active, and i have doubts concerning Poland (which is silent from a long time), the whole of Italy, all Ottoman and Persian positions.

How many are we active players? (I do not even know if this question is correct to ask)
    Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1673

Post by Kingmaker Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:36 pm

some not all players come on  the forum some players do not even answer in game letters, I had a french player do that to me, never answered any ones mail but was waging a war
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Nexus06 Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:14 pm

I really can't get the point of playing without interacting with other players "in game". To me it's half of the fun!

Post by Guest Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:30 pm

I do agree, interaction with other players is what makes this game so much fun. Having said that, there are a couple of times I have kept a low profile-when in positions I felt were weak and I wanted time to develop them so didn't want to attract attention to myself for a bit
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Nexus06 Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:07 pm

Goldstar wrote:An interesting month.
    1.  King Charles XII is taken ill during a visit to France, poison or a dodgy garlic eclair.
    2.  A large number of heavy armed French Tourists land in New Orleans just in time for Mardi Gra.
    3.  The Orthodox Church generously offers to employ unemployed Streltsy in the Church Militant.
    4.  Emperor Leo is offering cash for Volunteerers for his Reicharmee.
    5.  Prince Eugene is enjoying the beer in Pilsen Whilst his Army marches around and shoots up some canvas target.
    6.  The Swedes look to bring a legal cases before the Imperial judicial court, Judge Judy?

Goldstar i'm missing you comments on this turn, can you... Smile
    Goldstar
    Earl
    Earl

Number of posts : 187
    Registration date : 2010-09-13

Post by Goldstar Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:34 pm

More interesting Events this month.

1.  The Swedes bring a case before the Reichskammergericht, claiming the Spanish Netherlands based on a son of King Canute IV being Count of Flanders in 1119 AD!!!!!! Talk about opening a can of worms.
    2.  Tsar Peter is most displeased with the Orthodox Church's scheme to employ former Streltsy and has threaten to get all Ivan the terrible on their asses unless they bow before the supreme Autocrat.
    3.  Heir to the HRE King Joseph of Germay is visiting the various Electors, Dukes, etc of the Reich, bestowing generous gifts on the rulers and alms to the poor.  The current tour is in no way connected the Emperor constant recruiting drive for the Reicharmee.
    4.  The Elector of Bavaria visits the Holy Father in Rome, determined to prove himself the most devoutly papist monarch in Europe.  Not that he has much competition. King Louis XIV has granted toleration to the Huguenots and freed the serfs, whilst the HRE openly supports the peace of Westphalia settlement in the Reich Diet.  Perhaps young King Phillip of Spain will be a true son of the Holy Church.
    5.  The Emperor enquires if the Duke of Wurttemberg will allow him to build the 18th Century equivalent of an Autobahn from Ulm to Bresiach, purely to help trade you understand.
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Nexus06 Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:09 pm

Goldstar wrote:More interesting Events this month.

1.  The Swedes bring a case before the Reichskammergericht, claiming the Spanish Netherlands based on a son of King Canute IV being Count of Flanders in 1119 AD!!!!!! Talk about opening a can of worms.
    2.  Tsar Peter is most displeased with the Orthodox Church's scheme to employ former Streltsy and has threaten to get all Ivan the terrible on their asses unless they bow before the supreme Autocrat.
    3.  Heir to the HRE King Joseph of Germay is visiting the various Electors, Dukes, etc of the Reich, bestowing generous gifts on the rulers and alms to the poor.  The current tour is in no way connected the Emperor constant recruiting drive for the Reicharmee.
    4.  The Elector of Bavaria visits the Holy Father in Rome, determined to prove himself the most devoutly papist monarch in Europe.  Not that he has much competition. King Louis XIV has granted toleration to the Huguenots and freed the serfs, whilst the HRE openly supports the peace of Westphalia settlement in the Reich Diet.  Perhaps young King Phillip of Spain will be a true son of the Holy Church.
    5.  The Emperor enquires if the Duke of Wurttemberg will allow him to build the 18th Century equivalent of an Autobahn from Ulm to Bresiach, purely to help trade you understand.

Thank You!!!!!
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2571
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:04 am

[quote="Goldstar"]More interesting Events this month.

Are you implying that the "Miracle Baby"....... young Phillip of Spain.........he of the suspect parentage is actually the Son of Cardinal Portocarrero? Or some other Churchman?
    Goldstar
    Earl
    Earl

Post by Goldstar Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:13 pm

Whilst the Venetian puppet Cardinal Portocarrero is certainly capable of Borgia style degeneracy, I do not believe that the Dowager-Queen would have debased herself with a 65 yrs old corrupt cleric. King Phillips birth was indeed a Holy miracle, brought about by the sincere prayers of the Spanish people. I merely commented that it must be hoped that King Phillip will be a devout servant of the Holy church, as King Louis XIV and the Emperor have become surprisely ecumenical in their old age.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:05 am

Goldstar wrote:Whilst the Venetian puppet Cardinal Portocarrero is certainly capable of Borgia style degeneracy, I do not believe that the Dowager-Queen would have debased herself with a 65 yrs old corrupt cleric.  King Phillips birth was indeed a Holy miracle, brought about by the sincere prayers of the Spanish people.  I merely commented that it must be hoped that King Phillip will be a devout servant of the Holy church, as King Louis XIV and the Emperor have become surprisely ecumenical in their old age.

Portocarro? Please. Handsome young stable boys are all the rage in Spain.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2571
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:27 pm

Deacon wrote:
    Goldstar wrote:Whilst the Venetian puppet Cardinal Portocarrero is certainly capable of Borgia style degeneracy, I do not believe that the Dowager-Queen would have debased herself with a 65 yrs old corrupt cleric.  King Phillips birth was indeed a Holy miracle, brought about by the sincere prayers of the Spanish people.  I merely commented that it must be hoped that King Phillip will be a devout servant of the Holy church, as King Louis XIV and the Emperor have become surprisely ecumenical in their old age.

Portocarro? Please. Handsome young stable boys are all the rage in Spain.

Stable boys? I think you slander the Dowager-Queen of Spain & the morals of the Hapsburg Family in G9.

I was told it was a handsome young Noble who did the dirty deed.

The real mystery was why a baby and the Queen's maid then shipped out to the America's. My guess is that the Queen gave up a baby girl to stop the French screaming "Salic Law".

So who the hell is King Phillip?
    Goldstar
    Earl
    Earl

Post by Goldstar Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:11 pm

King Phillip is a convenient excuse for Austria and France to avoid the war of the Spanish succession.
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Nexus06 Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:47 pm

Well, Just got the turn, two things:

1)Goldstar, You aldready know what i'm waiting for. Very Happy

2) Oh, dear! I'm screwed!
    Goldstar
    Earl
    Earl

Post by Goldstar Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:58 pm

Another Turn passes.

1. The former 1st Minister of Spain and Prince of the Holy Catholic Church, Cardinal Portocarrero has decided to retire in deepest darkest Yorkshire, under the protection of the staunch Calvinist King William III. The Holy Spanish Inquisition is known to very keen to have a quiet chat with the former Cardinal.
    2. The German speaking rulers of the Reich are selling off their spare manpower in a manner that would make a Crimean Tartar blush. The Emperor, the English and the Dutch are engaged in a bidding war for extra recruits and the various Electors, Dukes, Landgraves, etc are eager to sell. The youth of Germany can look forward to fighting the Turk on the Danube, getting scalped in North America or dying of various tropical diseases in the West / East Indies.
    3. The Finance Minister of Spain has been sacked for being a drunkard, apparently this is considered bad form, will his sober replacement prove any better?
    4. The Monastic communities in Russia have funded a Brigade of former Streltsy to free the Tsar from the clique of evil advisors and foreign devils who surround him. How they plan to achieve this is unclear, but Knots and hot pokers may be involved
    5. The Holy Father in Rome has agreed to support the new catholic order of St George in Germany, with the Elector of Bavaria as its Grandmaster. The Holy Roman Emperor is too busy Hunting and funding Operas to match the devoutness of the House of Wittelsbach.
    Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1673

Post by Kingmaker Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:54 am

all good stuff  The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.  - Page 10 169354432 The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.  - Page 10 3247665605

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 10:01 pm