Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+20
Thelittleemperor
Rozwi_Game10
jamesbond007
The Revenant
Ardagor
Bearlord
Nexus06
count-de-monet
The Hessian
mmcdhoward
Regor
MarkTurner26
J Flower
Goldstar
Kingmaker
Basileus
one grain of grain
Stuart Bailey
Deacon
Redtroop44
24 posters

The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.

Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Number of posts : 661
    Registration date : 2015-08-15

The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.  - Page 24 Empty Re: The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Mon May 07, 2018 3:52 pm

Lord Yea of Shanghai isn't so much lazy, but more aware of costs for Rozwi in Game 10.

At present the financial scales are weighted 2:1 in Game 10's favour - with the need to strengthen the grip on the Ovambo lands we've successfully invaded and are holding (so far 100,000 conquered souls - the area is lightly populated). The problem being, the land we've taken is in central-to-Africa Ovambo territory, and the Ovambo military are all in the west-coast region of Ovambo Africa. Possibly there'll be a war...or not. It'll take the Ovambo a year to march the troops to fight us - or the months needed to raise a force.

Shantung Province in Game #9 is still in the setting up stage, which could take three of four more turns before all my planned for 'starting position' logistics are in place. Then I can move Lord Yea forward into the game...and address the problem of all the foreigners polluting Chinese soil with their barbarian stench! (only joking) The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.  - Page 24 169354432

The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.  - Page 24 Empty Re: The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.

Post by Guest Mon May 07, 2018 8:13 pm

Oh come now Roy, don't be modest...as you are learning the only good Barbarian is one who stays in Europe but still acknowledges the superiority of the Eternal Empire Wink

But you're right, the positions do work out expensive and a lot of work if you're not careful. In any of the core provinces, you have a large population (possibly the biggest? or second biggest in Glory) but a surprisingly low recruit base...and before Stuart starts, as one of the few people who have played a southern Chinese position as well as Manchuria, I can assure you there is no difference in recruit numbers...so developments take a lot longer.

But Chinese positions are fun Smile you have access to a lot of weapons no one else does...and anyone in G9, do get hold of the "Miscellany" and look up the historically accurate versions of Harpoon/Exocet missiles in there...and yes, my navy has them Twisted Evil
    Goldstar
    Earl
    Earl

Number of posts : 187
    Registration date : 2010-09-13

Post by Goldstar Mon May 28, 2018 12:19 pm

June 1705

1. The Naval mutiny at Portsmouth has reached a peaceful resolution, after fair treatment and an extra tot of rum is promised to the disgruntled English sailors.
    2. King Charles XII of Sweden has arrived in Rostock after issuing as less then subtle warning to Russia to cease it’s meddling in Sweden’s Baltic provinces. The eyes of the Lion of the north are now firmly fixed on Moscow. Sweden is now at peace with Spain, the Russian threat appears to have caused them to step away from supporting the English.
    3. Depending on your point of view either the James Stuart or James II of England, Scotland and Ireland has publicly thanked King Louis XIV for his protection and support. After which he promptly fell violently ill, with either the vomiting sickness or something more sinister.
    4. The Peace conference delegates are on the move from Vienna to Koingsberg, but King Joseph Hapsburg appears to have become lost enroute and arrived in Berlin.
    5. At Versailles the Elector of Bavaria has announced he would be honoured to accept the title of Prince of Flanders from his most honourable host King Louis XIV. Having buttered up the French, the former arch Catholic how hopes to be all things to all men. As Flanders is now officially in the HRE, surely only the Emperor can grant such a title.
    6. Speaking of Emperor Leopold he appears to have tired of trying to reason with the Milanese nobility. The Milanese and Austrian Armies have paraded in front of the Ducal Diet to pledge allegiance to their new Duke and receive their new colours. The nobility promptly hailed Leopold as Duke of Milan.
    7. 2 Austrian armies, commanded by Prince Eugene and Count Duan have marched into Bavaria, arriving at Munich and Regensburg. The Bavarian army have merely observed their movements, despite the reservations of the locals. The Austrian troops have behaved impeccably.
    8. Infanta Christiana has become the darling of her Guards Regiment and is to go on procession throughout Spain with the Cardinal-General. The Dowager Queen will remain in prayer at the El Escorial.
    9. King William appears to have recovered and is hosting a celebration in London.
    10. Dacca remains in open revolt against the Moghuls, the Hindu rebels announce their intention to overthrow the Moghul Empire and march on Delhi.
    11. Lord Fong has asked for and received a private audience with his Manchu Emperor after paying a large tribute. What diabolical schemes is he plotting?
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 479
    Registration date : 2015-04-14

Post by Nexus06 Mon May 28, 2018 8:40 pm

The main reason I play tgok is, no doubt, being mentioned in Goldstar summary of the month. It is better than an honour jump!

Post by Guest Mon May 28, 2018 9:02 pm

I would just like to deny the rumours that Lord Fong is meeting with the Emperor to discuss his plans to burn Vienna to the ground...there is absolutely no truth in this...honest
    Goldstar
    Earl
    Earl

Post by Goldstar Mon May 28, 2018 9:27 pm

Lord Fong's hostility towards Austria and kindly old Emperor Leopold is most perplexing? His Sacred Majesty has been merely been curious about the workings of the Chinese Empire and Lord Fong's province in particular.  Is Fong now plotting a Manchu alliance with the Ottoman infidel to attack Austria and destroy the sword and shield of Christian Europe.  The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.  - Page 24 2962972013 The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.  - Page 24 2962972013 The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.  - Page 24 2962972013 The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.  - Page 24 2962972013
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Nexus06 Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:11 pm

Oh! C'mon! A cossack riot? Seriously?

Oh God!
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2571
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:54 pm

Nexus06 wrote:Oh! C'mon! A cossack riot? Seriously?

Oh God!

So what is the difference between a Cossack Riot & a normal night on the town?
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:53 am

A Cossack Riot is the away version of the home game.

Post by Guest Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:41 am

I'm afraid I have bad news. Due to 21st Century issues, I've had to drop Kwantung in G9 so Team China is (alas) no more Sad
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Nexus06 Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:04 am

Jason wrote:I'm afraid I have bad news.  Due to 21st Century issues, I've had to drop Kwantung in G9 so Team China is (alas) no more Sad

So sorry about that! I enjoyed exchange mail with you!
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Nexus06 Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:43 pm

Stuart Bailey wrote:
    Nexus06 wrote:Oh! C'mon! A cossack riot? Seriously?

Oh God!

So what is the difference between a Cossack Riot & a normal night on the town?

At the end Cossacks dies.
    Goldstar
    Earl
    Earl

Post by Goldstar Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:27 pm

Despite the occasional cultural misunderstandings, the pronouncements of Mighty Lord Fong will be greatly missed by all.
    Ardagor
    Ardagor
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 427
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by Ardagor Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:03 pm

Jason wrote:I'm afraid I have bad news.  Due to 21st Century issues, I've had to drop Kwantung in G9 so Team China is (alas) no more Sad

Sorry to hear that, thank you for all assistance and friendship. It was most appreciated.

Post by Guest Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:30 pm

I just wanted to say thank you for your kind words Smile It was a hard decision to leave G9 but alas finances dictate it.

If by any chance things improve I will try and rejoin the game
    Goldstar
    Earl
    Earl

Post by Goldstar Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:40 pm

July 1705

1. Somewhat belatedly the government of Scotland declares war on France in support of their King William III, just in time for the peace conference.
    2. The English Naval mutiny at Portsmouth appears to have ended, with prize money being paid to the disgruntled crews. Five ringleaders are looked at a long drop on a short rope however and Captain's have been warned that it is their duties to maintain discipline on their ships.
    3. King James II of England, the VII of Scotland or Mr James Stuart, pretender depending on your political standpoint has full recovered from his illness. The overtly rich fare served in the Kitchens of Versailles has been blamed, snails and Frog Legs not being to his taste.
    4. The Bavarian Army order of the day has declared that the Austrian Armies currently on the march in the Electorate have official permission to do so. This is just as well as Prince Eugene has decided to remain in Munich with his troops, Count Daun has marched out of Regensburg however.
    5. King Charles XII of Sweden has remained in Rostock and is making himself comfortable at the Mecklenburg Court.
    6. Tsar Peter is not having a good month, an agricultural experiment appears to have failed and the inventor responsible informed that his head will be the price if he fails again. The demonic temper of the Tsar has also been stoked by the statements of King Charles XII and Swedish actions in the Baltic. To top it all a force of rebel Cossacks have seized Poltava, declaring that the Tsar needs to be rescued from the clique of evil advisors surrounding him. Swedish gold appears to have a long reach.

7. The new Spanish government is a whirlwind of activity. Spanish Ambassadors are meeting with various rulers in the Reich and Italy, after recruits perhaps? The Dowager Queen appears to have retired from public life and the Cardinal-General is in command. Toledo Cathedral has been renovated for the glory of Spain and the Holy church, various diplomatic and economic reforms have also been announced. The Carinal-General supports the current peace talks in Prussia and hopes agreement will be reached soon.
    8. Talking of the peace talks, delegates appears still to be confused as to the location, with some still heading to Berlin. King Joseph Hapsburg has turned up at the right location this month, but missed the Elector of Brandenburg, King In Prussia.
    9. The Emperor has returned to Vienna having dissolved the Milanese Diet after hosting a round of celebrations to mark his confirmation as Duke.
    10. The lowlifes of a Hamburg dive bar once more offer us their wisdom. King William III is full of hot air, King Charles XII is a bad ally and the Dutch are cowards. The Emperor is a sly opportunist, with a very partial view of Imperial law and the Cardinal-General is handing out Spanish territory like it's going out of fashion.
    11. The Shogun shows he is not a man to be trifled with, handing down the Emperor's justice to a wayward Daimyo.
    Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 458
    Registration date : 2011-07-01

Post by Basileus Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:34 pm

Swedish gold, surely not...… I have commented on this previously, and its not just about game 9. In the current world when we play this game we view Russia through the eyes of it becoming a major power in the eighteenth century and a superpower in the twentieth century. Coming out of the seventeenth century it was fractured, rebellious and weak and certainly considered second rate to nations such as the Dutch.

Players have been influenced by this later perspective and so tend to choose Russia as one of the plum choices in the game. Perhaps if one version of Russia is torn to shreds it will help us to re evaluate Russia in the game Twisted Evil
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Nexus06 Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:49 pm

Basileus wrote:Swedish gold, surely not...… I have commented on this previously, and its not just about game 9. In the current world when we play this game we view Russia through the eyes of it becoming a major power in the eighteenth century and a superpower in the twentieth century. Coming out of the seventeenth century it was fractured, rebellious and weak and certainly considered second rate to nations such as the Dutch.

Players have been influenced by this later perspective and so tend to choose Russia as one of the plum choices in the game. Perhaps if one version of Russia is torn to shreds it will help us to re evaluate Russia in the game Twisted Evil

Unfortuntely, this is not gonna happened in G9 Smile

Post by Guest Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:56 pm

Basileus wrote:Swedish gold, surely not...… I have commented on this previously, and its not just about game 9. In the current world when we play this game we view Russia through the eyes of it becoming a major power in the eighteenth century and a superpower in the twentieth century. Coming out of the seventeenth century it was fractured, rebellious and weak and certainly considered second rate to nations such as the Dutch.

A fair assessment Smile

I think the same could apply to England and Prussia, there can be a tendency to see them as much stronger powers than they actually were in 1700.
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Nexus06 Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:05 pm

Jason wrote:

A fair assessment Smile

I think the same could apply to England and Prussia, there can be a tendency to see them as much stronger powers than they actually were in 1700.  

While i can agree on Prussia, i disagree regarding both Russia and England.

England is a major power, thanks to both a technical and an Economical advantage (on which Richard itself has admitted that rules regarding trade are designed to provide an advantage to England almost regardless players actions).

Russia, in 1700, was experiencing an acknowledgement of his power, due to massive resources and recruits. Being not supported by a western power could be seen as probably the only way to delay the advancement of Russia as a geographical power. Surely not Sweden nor Poland can match Russia in the east, and even the Ottoman Empire might have issues in trying to advance north enough.
    Swedish army, as polish did, could reach Moscow and try to nominee a new Tsar, but chances of suffering severe attrition while trying to do so might be extremely dangerous because Sweden is weak in numbers, and cannot afford to lose too many men. Especially if the large part of it's army is landlocked in the east and unable to provide the security of the homeland.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:48 pm

Agree about many players treating Prussia as a major power in 1700 when at best its a weak 2nd rate power.....inferior in many ways to other German States like Bavaria.

Think the game does a good job with England in it being a first rate and growing mercantile and naval power but a minor land power which needs allies and hired help for a land war.  The nine years war and the War of the Spanish succession show's how far English financial power (ability to raise tax and loans) had developed since the 1660's when Charles II government basically went bankrupt after two years of Naval War against the Dutch.

Russia is the odd one in that many players seem to think its victory over Sweden, Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and the Ottomans is a given.  While in 1700 most of Europe thought it was the weakest of the four, a Asiatic Power like the Ottomans and its Army was a bit of a joke.

While it can be claimed that Europe under-estimated the Czar and the power of Russia in 1700 I do find it odd that while the Commonwealth and the Ottoman Empire are seriously split up in the Game the same is not done to Russia which was just as feudal as the Ottomans.

The other game problem is now to re-capture in game form just how fearsome a foe the Swedish Army was and the general adversion to dealing with Orthodox Russia.......wonder if the Swedes being a United Protestant Power should have a built in honour advantage while Russia and dealings with it get a built in honour disadvantage (at least 10%-25% of the population think Peter, his Church and his European style Regiments are the anti Christ).

While Russia becomes more European and respectable during the period and esp after the building of St Petersburg in a European Classical style certainly in 1700 doing deals with Russia esp to the disadvantage of fellow Protestants should is viewed in the same way as dealing with the Ottoman Sultan or Lord Fong.  May have to be done but Czar Peter is not a fellow civilized European he is a nasty Asian Despot who has personally tortured people to death in the basement of his palace.
    Goldstar
    Earl
    Earl

Post by Goldstar Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:19 pm

Russia historically had quite a few lucky escapes in this period.

If the Swedes had pushed their advantage after Narva, they could have straggled Peter's westernising regime at birth. King Charles XII considered the Russians the weakest of his enemies and turned against Augustus' Saxons and Poles, giving Peter time to recover.

The Ottoman's had Peter and his army surrounded in Moldavia and only a hefty bride to the Grand Vizier saved his skin. A old style Ottoman would have destroyed Peter and his Army on the Pruth as King Charles XII urged them to do.
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Nexus06 Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:56 pm

Goldstar wrote:Russia historically had quite a few lucky escapes in this period.  

If the Swedes had pushed their advantage after Narva, they could have straggled Peter's westernising regime at birth.  King Charles XII considered the Russians the weakest of his enemies and turned against Augustus' Saxons and Poles, giving Peter time to recover.

The Ottoman's had Peter and his army surrounded in Moldavia and only a hefty bride to the Grand Vizier saved his skin.  A old style Ottoman would have destroyed Peter and his Army on the Pruth as King Charles XII urged them to do.

True

Russia becomes a primary force after 1720.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:59 pm

Goldstar wrote:Russia historically had quite a few lucky escapes in this period.  

If the Swedes had pushed their advantage after Narva, they could have straggled Peter's westernising regime at birth.  King Charles XII considered the Russians the weakest of his enemies and turned against Augustus' Saxons and Poles, giving Peter time to recover.

The Ottoman's had Peter and his army surrounded in Moldavia and only a hefty bride to the Grand Vizier saved his skin.  A old style Ottoman would have destroyed Peter and his Army on the Pruth as King Charles XII urged them to do.

You probably need to add in some truely savage court power struggle with Sophia, other family members and the Boyars both before and also in our period which Peter must have been lucky to survive and Cossack leaders who showed a total lack of leadership and nerve.

Just think what Richard does to your honour score if you slaughter most of your old Guard Units and kill your own son and heir.

Partly it seems luck but to a great degree it seems that Peter made his own luck being such a huge and scary man that opposition which would have crushed a lesser Czar froze or paniced when dealing with Peter. Plus being large and scary resulted in Peter being able to scare up resouces of men and money which other Russian leaders before and after could not. Again a very hard factor to build into a game.

France under Louis XIV and under Louis XV & Louis XVI seems the same. There is no reason to think that France in the 1750's had a much lower taxable population or fewer possible recuits than France under Louis XIV or Revolutionary France from 1790's onwards. But the French Army called up to fight in the Seven Year War etc seem to be a shadow of the earlier and later forces.
    count-de-monet
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 379
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by count-de-monet Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:01 am

Got to admire the scottish sense of (bad) timing. Taking on France just as peace is agreed and without being part of that peace leaving them isolated.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 2:39 pm