Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+6
MarkTurner26
Deacon
Basileus
Stuart Bailey
Rozwi_Game10
Richard D. Watts
10 posters

Ancients game and Sci-fi missions planned!

Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 458
    Registration date : 2011-07-01

Ancients game and Sci-fi missions planned! - Page 2 Empty Re: Ancients game and Sci-fi missions planned!

Post by Basileus Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:58 am

I think geese were sacrificed more for divination, reading their entrails which the romans picked up from the Etruscans as a form of divination. Bulls were the prestigous thing to sacrifice, northern and eastern Europeans went in for sacrficing horses.
    Emperor Caligula made his favourite horse a senator. Which rather than being a sign of madness I thought was just a powerful insult to the other senators.
    Gladatior/slave/social revolts seemed to have calmed down more by this time but national revolts were still taking place - Iceni, Germany, Judea etc.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2564
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Ancients game and Sci-fi missions planned! - Page 2 Empty Re: Ancients game and Sci-fi missions planned!

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:18 am

J Flower wrote:Can I officially burn Rome down in this Game?

Officially you can only burn down Rome if you are playing:

a) Revolting slaves
    b) Parthians
    c) Germans

Unofficially burning may result from

d) Dodgy Senatorial property developers looking to by up cheap fire damaged properties.
    e) Loony Emperor aiming to improve his view & blame the Christians.
    f) Fine upstanding Commander of the German or Danube Legions having enough of dodgy Emperor's & Senatorial property developers and getting on "Republican on their arse" ......and their Golden House as well........pity the wind changed direction.

Personally I see Jason as F

Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sun May 01, 2016 9:33 am

Stuart Bailey wrote:

a) Revolting slaves
    b) Parthians
    c) Germans

d) Dodgy Senatorial property developers looking to by up cheap fire damaged properties.
    f) Fine upstanding Commander of the German or Danube Legions having enough of dodgy Emperor's & Senatorial property developers and getting on "Republican on their arse" ......and their Golden House as well........pity the wind changed direction.

Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sun May 01, 2016 9:41 am

Stuart Bailey wrote:
    Stuart Bailey wrote:

a) Revolting slaves
    b) Parthians
    c) Germans

Seems we have a volunteer for c) The Germans.............a weird German Priest who claims to come from the Gods/future and wants to unite the Tribes.

Surely this must generate a "Hero" who wants to save Rome from this Germanic nutter? Before his mad speaches about Blood, Iron & Germanic Unity causes real trouble. Perhaps a fine upstanding Legionary Commander from the new Britannic Province (nice little Villa near Derby)

Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1673
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by Kingmaker Sun May 01, 2016 11:10 am

Sounds like am early von der Decken is needed.....   Ancients game and Sci-fi missions planned! - Page 2 2962972013
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:27 pm

Any news on Roman Game?
    Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Basileus Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:05 am

Richard had previously said to me, and I am sure he doesn't mind me copying it here - The Rome game is still in development, and there’s a great deal to finalise so no certainty as to the launch date. The intention – at least currently – is to have the game begin with a Roman civil war but with plenty of barbarian invasions, resulting in a Roman Empire (or two…) and other states on hand so it will then resemble Glory of Kings in order to give some longevity to the game after the initial civil war.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:16 am

Basileus wrote:Richard had previously said to me, and I am sure he doesn't mind me copying it here - The Rome game is still in development, and there’s a great deal to finalise so no certainty as to the launch date. The intention – at least currently – is to have the game begin with a Roman civil war but with plenty of barbarian invasions, resulting in a Roman Empire (or two…) and other states on hand so it will then resemble Glory of Kings in order to give some longevity to the game after the initial civil war.

Good start for a game may be 392 with Eugenius taking power in Rome as the last Pagan Emperor........and triggering a civil war with the Eastern Christain Emperor in Constantinople.

Oddly up to this point the Western Army had been better than the Army of the Eastern Empirers which had suffered defeats at the hands of the Persians & the Goths at Adrianople. But at the two day battle of Frigidus in 394.......& with a bit of help from a divine wind plus Alaric and a Army of Visigoths......the Western Army suffers a defeat from which it never really recovers.

Think this is a interesting point since:

1) There is still a balance between East & West.

2) There is still a balance between Catholic Christains, Aryan Christians & Pagans.

3) "Barbarians" like the Goths, Franks, etc have settled in the Empire & some are raiding it but for many Barbarian leaders like Alaric the objective is not to destroy the Empire & set up Kingdoms on its territory but rather to get High Military Command's in the Empire and good settlements for their men. In this respect commanders like Stilicho & Alaric are not that different to Roman Generals in the later Republic.

4) The Roman Army with its organization, 800 year traditions, bath houses & pension clubs etc is in crisis but it still exists and can in theory be restored to its old standards.............or due to immediate needs players may find it cheaper to hire big units of Barabarian Troops under own Chiefs?

5) Rome is no longer the unrivaled super power. Much as some senators may wish to wipe out smelly barbarians with the Huns to the North, Persians to the East & a civil war to fight for God (or the Gods) they may represent a vital source of Military Manpower.
    Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Basileus Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:00 pm

I would love 394 AD but I think it is going to be 60AD if my previous calculations on the time were correct.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:21 pm

Basileus wrote:I would love 394 AD but I think it is going to be 60AD if my previous calculations on the time were correct.

Embarassed My error forgot earlier confirmation.
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Number of posts : 619
    Registration date : 2009-04-07

Post by jamesbond007 Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:27 pm

If it is based on lgdr but I different time. Then I think it will be great and breath fresh air into lgdr. Looking forward to giving it a go.

Post by Guest Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:24 pm

Sure I've said it before...but never been a big fan of the Glory that was Men in Bedsheets Wink

But 60 AD could be fun, esp if Boudica is revolting, the Parthian War is raging...

I'm not great on the history of Nero, when did he go from being 'ok' to 'nutter'?
    Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Basileus Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:40 pm

Probably Nero's biggest problem in reputation was that he was one of the first emperors to persecute christians - he who writes the histories and all that. The old BBC episodes of I Claudius wouldnt be a bad introduction to the period and politics of Rome. On the Total War Center there is a new free game starting up where you role play being a senator which again could be an introduction, but it is based on 80 BC Social Wars and the games tend to suddenly stop just when you are getting into them.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:00 am

Basileus wrote:Probably Nero's biggest problem in reputation was that he was one of the first emperors to persecute christians - he who writes the histories and all that. The old BBC episodes of I Claudius wouldnt be a bad introduction to the period and politics ssof Rome. On the Total War Center there is a new free game starting up where you role play being a senator which again could be an introduction, but it is based on 80 BC Social Wars and the games tend to suddenly stop just when you are getting into them.

I always liked the board game "Republic of Rome" in which players took factions in the Senate.

In theory faction could win but most of the time players were too busy trying to avoid total defeat for everyone and getting lynched the mob to worry about winning.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:15 pm

Any news ref "The Glory of men in bedsheets"? as one of the Jason's has called the latest Ancient period game?

If the Parthians win do we have to start calling is "The Glory of men in silk pajamas" ???????
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1239
    Registration date : 2012-02-16

Post by J Flower Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:42 am

Just wanted to raise the question again as it seems a while ( look at date of prior post on this thread.)

Anyone know if there has been any progress on a launch date, please?
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:49 pm

J Flower wrote:Just wanted to raise the question again as it seems a while ( look at date of prior post on this thread.)

Anyone know if there has been any progress on a launch date, please?

The Pyromanic of yea Oldie German Forest is getting twitchy again..........how many times have we said "No you can not burn Rome down.....marble does not burn very well"
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:06 pm

It's just on my list of things to do! Burning Rome down has a certain charm to it afterall.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:01 pm

J Flower wrote:It's just on my list of things to do! Burning Rome down has a certain charm to it afterall.

A Noble and worthy ambition which I hope you get to make happen in the new game when it starts.
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:25 am

So no ideas of a launch date?

My kids have endured years of Latin at school so I need to get them to put it to practical use.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:15 pm

I got the impression at one point that Richard wanted to wait until Glory turns were more regular before launching. Given that they seem to remain slow, I'm guessing that either life, or turn volume in glory has put the ancient game on the back burner.
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:23 am

Wonder if....

Looked at New format of Agema website & Rome is burning Game is featured as an Agema game, also the last couple of turns of LGDR have been a tad quicker, which was part of Richards criteria for a launch of the Roman game, could it be we are getting nearer to a start up?

Anyone got any inside information? Please.
    Richard D. Watts
    Baron
    Baron

Number of posts : 116
    Registration date : 2008-04-21

Post by Richard D. Watts Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:31 am

Well…. the main issue has been checking all the map locations against what was there in 65 AD. It's turned into an enormous job but should be worth it in the end! The huge map is 'finished' but is being edited each week as more information comes to light. Once that's done the map will be published, then the gazetteer to explain what each location looks like. The intention is to have entries for all locations from the beginning of the game.

Then a waiting list will be announced, then the game will launch! That at least is the plan here at AGEMA HQ. But we all know what happens to plans... Laughing
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:33 pm

Thank you for the info,

as to plans , well best plan is usually make it up as you go along & hope no one notices.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:40 am

J Flower wrote:Thank you for the info,

as to plans , well best plan is usually make it up as you go along & hope no one notices.

As in "Yes I know its hot and we are almost out of water but keep marching and the river Tigris is somewhere over those Dunes" & "Don't worry about the horse archers they will soon run out of arrows"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:29 am