Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+6
MarkTurner26
Deacon
Basileus
Stuart Bailey
Rozwi_Game10
Richard D. Watts
10 posters

Ancients game and Sci-fi missions planned!

count-de-monet
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 379
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Ancients game and Sci-fi missions planned! - Page 3 Empty Re: Ancients game and Sci-fi missions planned!

Post by count-de-monet Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:56 am

Looking forward to giving this a go, but as fair warning to some of you who appear to be ancients experts my knowledge of that period is appalling - don't ally with me !

Now, do I go for The People's Front of Judea or The Judean People's Front ?
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2564
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Ancients game and Sci-fi missions planned! - Page 3 Empty Re: Ancients game and Sci-fi missions planned!

Post by Stuart Bailey Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:30 pm

count-de-monet wrote:Looking forward to giving this a go, but as fair warning to some of you who appear to be ancients experts my knowledge of that period is appalling - don't ally with me !

Now, do I go for The People's Front of Judea or The Judean People's Front ?

Thing playing Judean Rebels in 65AD will be about as tough as playing French or Hungarian Protestant Rebels in Glory with the added disadvantage that Protestants rebels may be fairly popular and have support from other players while in 65AD basically everyone else hates you. Going around saying other peoples Gods do not exist is a oddly hard sale at this time.

But if non Roman players are allowed in the game I would quite like to be a Parthian (Silk Slippers, Spices and own Harem whats not to like?).........can offer you a really nice place of exile in Babylon as an alternative to making your last stand at Masada.

Though I guess you could always try to dodge the 2nd Legion do a deal with some dodgy merchant types and vanish with the treasures of the Temple and join Jason in the German Forest were you could become either the lost tribe or convert the locals to the one true God.
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1239
    Registration date : 2012-02-16

Post by J Flower Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:20 pm

Most of my ideas about Romans are based on Asterix & Obelix SO I may well make the perfet ally for comte-de-monte.

Wonder if in new Game Rome will take the place of Paris in LGDR; as being the place everyone wants to visit/ fight have a kebab & try & find a taxi home
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:50 pm

J Flower wrote:Most of my ideas about Romans are based on Asterix & Obelix SO I may well make the perfet ally for comte-de-monte.

Wonder if in new Game Rome will take the place of Paris  in LGDR; as being the place everyone wants to visit/ fight have a kebab & try & find a taxi home

If people want to get a taste of Rome which is not going to give them flashbacks/nightmares about Latin classes they wish to forget but may give a bit more information than Asterix or Carry on Cleo. Not that I wish to belittle either of these classic works! May I that a light and fun way to look at the period with a game in mind is to read :

a) The Falco books by Lindsey Davis which are very firmly set in the period of the Agema game.........nothing much about the military but some good clues about how to ruin a your Noble rivals reputation.

b) Mythic Rome which can be ordered from www.aeongamespublishing.co.uk...............This a supplement for roleplaying in Italy up to the end of the Republic so some of it is a bit obsolete/out of date by 65AD but its got good appendix for Latin Profanity and of Gods/Goddess which is handy for when you send a curse tablet against you foes or make offerings to the Gods for help.

Plus it gives plenty of detail about how grisly the foundations of the Roman Empire were.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:25 am

I am most curious about what kind of game it is.

Is it like Glory with 'nation/statebuilding' or is it more a pure wargame where you aren't doing economic/social and other things?

I'm more interested in the former than the latter.

Post by Guest Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:05 pm

Delenda Carthago Est, although of course it already had been by 65 AD.
    Four Years before the Year of the Four Emperors, and the end of the Julio-Claudians. The first round (Imperial Age) of I have a big army & I am going to be Emperor... We are still well off the Third Century crisis & entering what could be argued is the Imperial Golden Age.
    The Pax Romana holds. In five years, the second temple of Jerusalem burns. In ten years, Agricola is hammering the Picts @ the edge of the world (Tacitus’s view on Caledonia).
    The Senate is a shadow of its former self. The real power lies in the hands of governors of provinces holding legions.
    I foresee a game of serious politics. A war game, but one where you stand a high chance of being murdered by your own troops, if you have not made the right political moves...

Sent from Topic'it App
    Richard D. Watts
    Baron
    Baron

Number of posts : 116
    Registration date : 2008-04-21

Post by Richard D. Watts Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:20 pm

There shall be non-Roman as well as Roman positions!

There will be economic, political and diplomatic elements as well as military aspects.

And it's an Agema game, so expect spies...

As much as I admire the Asterix books (and, er, actually have some in the office!), a better read for period flavour would be Tacitus, The Histories. It's actually a quite entertaining read!  study
    count-de-monet
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 379
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by count-de-monet Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:55 pm

Thanks for the tip off Richard on the book. If anyone has a kindle this is free from amazon
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:49 pm

Kerensky wrote:Delenda Carthago Est, although of course it already had been by 65 AD.
    Four Years before the Year of the Four Emperors, and the end of the Julio-Claudians. The first round (Imperial Age) of I have a big army & I am going to be Emperor... We are still well off the Third Century crisis &  entering what could be argued is the Imperial Golden Age.
    The Pax Romana holds. In five years, the second temple of Jerusalem burns. In ten years, Agricola is hammering the Picts @ the edge of the world (Tacitus’s view on Caledonia).
    The Senate is a shadow of its former self. The real power lies in the hands of governors of provinces holding legions.
    I foresee a game of serious politics. A war game, but one where you stand a high chance of being murdered by your own troops, if you have not made the right political moves...

Sent from Topic'it App

Actually by 65 AD someone may have already re-built Carthage or at least be thinking about the footing's and site clearance. So perhaps Kerensky can flatten the place for a second time.

Getting a bit concerned about all the potential pyro-manics in this game. Seems everyone wants to burn somewhere down!

Post by Guest Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:59 am

Ancients game and Sci-fi missions planned! - Page 3 15418410

If the bloodthirsty Dacian’s are in play, I could be persuaded. I have form...

Sent from Topic'it App

Post by Guest Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:09 pm

Ohhh, now non-Roman does get my interest Smile A nice Caledonian kingship...though I do recall reading (many years back) Geoffrey Ashe talking about Roman records of a British leader in the mid AD60s leading a resistance campaign against the early Roman occupation in the Somerset area. He advanced the idea that it was an off-shoot of Boudicca's rebellion that somehow survived a few years longer. What made it stick in my mind he mentioned the leader's name was recorded and if you squinted, turned your head and had a pint before looking at it, the name looked a bit like "Arthur" (no, he wasn't suggesting it was somehow an origin of the legends, just one of those strange historical co-incidences)
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Number of posts : 661
    Registration date : 2015-08-15

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:15 pm

Extra gravitas should be awarded the player who names a male slave Lurcio! And remember... A funny thing happened on the way to the forum

Post by Guest Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:33 pm

I would make a comment, but I doubt I'll finish the prologue
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:57 pm

We seem to have interest in:

Man in Blue paint

Man in Hairy Shoes

Man in leather with pointy teeth

Man in silk PJ's

But who actually wants to be the Man in Purple Bed Sheet?

At this rate we would end up with Ancient version of G10 and the Ok who wants to be King of Spain problem?

I mean who cares that the last three holders of the Job seem to have had the odd problem with mushrooms, sharp knifes, etc
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:12 am

Could well be that you get an Agema run NPC Rome, with all the enemies of Rome positions being taken.

Theory is Rome should be the most powerful, all mighty position in the Game, problem is every man & his dog will be out to get you, even the Generals on your side probably can't be trusted.

If there is a "team" Rome with a few players ready to work together then it should be a position that holds its own, but if you are on your own as Roman Emperor then it could be a difficult position to play.

Post by Guest Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:00 pm

J Flower wrote:
    What about Sparticus? Surely "I am Sparitcus..." must appear somewhere

Not unless we're playing Zombies and Romans Wink
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:31 am

Hope there is scope for a slave revolt
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:13 pm

J Flower wrote:Could well be that you get an Agema run NPC Rome, with all the enemies of Rome positions being taken.

Theory is Rome should be the most powerful, all mighty position in the Game, problem is every man & his dog will be out to get you, even the Generals on your side probably can't be trusted.

If there is a "team" Rome with a few players ready to work  together then it should be a position that holds its own, but if you are on your own as Roman Emperor then it could be a difficult position to play.

Guess you could have a NPC Emperor and the Roman players are the Senate or Imperial freemen Ministers backing "their" man.

If anyone has played a board game called Republic of Rome in theory the Senate factions played by the players have lots of ways to win the game but most of the time its a backs to the wall campaign to save Rome from military defeat and/or the Senate getting beaten to death by the mob.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:59 pm