Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

5 posters

Question about GOK Positions

tkolter
    tkolter
    Viscount
    Viscount

Number of posts : 160
    Registration date : 2018-06-15

Question about GOK Positions Empty Question about GOK Positions

Post by tkolter Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:01 pm

I was wondering if someone wanted to play in a game a Native American Tribe or part of one or some other indigenous positions the Indian Thugee can one do that? (It seems odd its not offering positions like that openly with some others available like pirates)

Question about GOK Positions Empty Re: Question about GOK Positions

Post by Guest Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:28 pm

Richard does say minor positions, not listed, can be added to the game if you really want to play them.

Some of the supplements give a lot of detail on the North American tribes so Richard has doe research into them
    tkolter
    tkolter
    Viscount
    Viscount

Number of posts : 160
    Registration date : 2018-06-15

Post by tkolter Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:39 am

Just curious for now these games are so fun but maybe later in another game, later on, but was just wondering.
    Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1673
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by Kingmaker Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:17 pm

he is open to suggestions as advised above
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Number of posts : 661
    Registration date : 2015-08-15

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:46 pm

I rather like the idea for the Native American tribes. Obviously there's lots of scope for the central (USA/south central Canada) Plains tribes and, possibly, those of the Southwest and the Plateau/Great Basin tribes. Northwest Coast too, probably. Such as those shouldn't impact on player positions for France/England-UK/USA (if used), I'd imagine.

Possible conflict point for the Thugs would be that the lands they'd be operating in, for their base of operations, would be belonging to player positions that would also be their victims (Thuggee being particular to India? As far as I'm aware, given the Hindu religion link). So they'd be in open conflict with the players they'd be forced to share a land position with and create internal strife with Honour and Economic Health, etc.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2556
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:02 pm

Rozwi_Game10 wrote:I rather like the idea for the Native American tribes. Obviously there's lots of scope for the central (USA/south central Canada) Plains tribes and, possibly, those of the Southwest and the Plateau/Great Basin tribes. Northwest Coast too, probably. Such as those shouldn't impact on player positions for France/England-UK/USA (if used), I'd imagine.

Possible conflict point for the Thugs would be that the lands they'd be operating in, for their base of operations, would be belonging to player positions that would also be their victims (Thuggee being particular to India? As far as I'm aware, given the Hindu religion link). So they'd be in open conflict with the players they'd be forced to share a land position with and create internal strife with Honour and Economic Health, etc.

Think a Native American position may be a bit limited unless you are really into the fur trade or raiding and want to see if its possible to drive the White Man back into the sea. A task which makes turning France Protestant look really easy.

If we could get more than one active Indian player at any one time I think India has the lot.......trade, industry, culture, and the massive Moghul Empire to either prop up or knock down. Plus its got Elephants and really, really big cannon!

Think playing the Thuggee would be a bit like a Pirate position.......kill a load of merchants, rob them, repeat, annoy major power who tries to stamp you out.

Going totally against currently known historic facts if you were playing one of the several Hindu positions of various sizes you could use the Thuggee as your Int service..........bit like a Hindu Version of the Ninga or the Assassins devoted to the destruction of the Muslim Moghul Invaders. Not totally impossible as some Indian rulers did use religious fanatic's as storm troopers and assassins.

Problem with the Thuggee is that most of the information we have on them comes from HEIC/British sources from a much latter date and shows them as professional bandits and as a family profession. But you could always claim that your Thuggee in 1700 are inspired by religion rather than profit and are a purer and more driven version.

Bit like the Knights of St John who fought to the death to defend Malta from the Ottomans compared to the later order which gave up a vastly stronger fortress to the French in the 1790's in a morning with hardly a shot fired.
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 479
    Registration date : 2015-04-14

Post by Nexus06 Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:17 am

I've several times tried to understand which positions were actually available to tGoK, or which extend and depth the in-game action could go.

I think anyway that the best is the interaction with other players, an element that might be lost playing Indian-American tribes.

Even European minors are not allowed (I've asked Richard for Milan, which should be a nice position to play, but it's absolutely NPC).
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:01 am

You'd certainly have to create your own goals and driving aims with the Native Americans. Technology and culture -wise they'd, probably, be considered the same as Rozwi in-game, and the player would just interpret the build options how they wish to. To my mind the issue would be population. Unless such a position comprised of a confederation of Tribes there'd just be not enough population to do anything meaningful with in the game. Obviously the position would be more appealing to a player who welcomes the isolation of very limited contact, and who'd be understanding that to play the position it would require working within the constraints of historical ability for the tribal peoples. I suppose if the main power base was housed in the Plains Tribes area and the position was made up of a confederation of the Great Plains Indians and what was left of the free Eastern Woodland Indian tribes, then one area of contact/conflict would be with the Europeans colonies or the fledgling USA (a what-if position, gaining independence a century earlier).

Post by Guest Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:10 am

Nexus06 wrote:I've several times tried to understand which positions were actually available to tGoK, or which extend and depth the in-game action could go.

I think anyway that the best is the interaction with other players, an element that might be lost playing Indian-American tribes.

Even European minors are not allowed (I've asked Richard for Milan, which should be a nice position to play, but it's absolutely NPC).

I wonder, with Milan, was it because its part of the Spanish position?
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:42 am

Just looked at the positions available on the Agema site and the Italian ones listed are those which would be considered independent of other nations. The Duchy of Milan and the Two Sicilies aren't listed as available, you'd think because, as you've said, of the importance to Spain and WSS.
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 479
    Registration date : 2015-04-14

Post by Nexus06 Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:45 am

Jason wrote:
    Nexus06 wrote:I've several times tried to understand which positions were actually available to tGoK, or which extend and depth the in-game action could go.

I wonder, with Milan, was it because its part of the Spanish position?

He told me Milan was too little to be independent from Spain. I think he tied up the position because when I was playing g3 as the pope back in the '90 Naples was a position, while now isn' t

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:34 am