Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+7
count-de-monet
jamesbond007
Deacon
Basileus
Stuart Bailey
J Flower
LordCarter
11 posters

ROME PBM

Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2565
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

ROME PBM - Page 4 Empty Re: ROME PBM

Post by Stuart Bailey Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:31 pm

Jason2 wrote:
    J Flower wrote:Hopefully  we get the rule book before the first turn

Surely for positions we're playing, the rule book is "Kill the men in bedsheets" Wink

I thought that the "Great Barbarian Conspiracy" was not due for another 300 years?????
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:42 pm

Deacon wrote:Well, some have slightly different rules, "Capture the barbarians, haul them back to Rome and host a murder party* while feeling smugly superior."

*Civilized people, of course, call this a triumph with all the wonderful civilized games that involve barbarians getting killed in splendid and bloody ways.

Clearly someone who intends to follow the Julius blue print - Sloppy Aristo conquers Gaul or another bunch of Barbarians - Write own account of Wars to make you look really good - Keep mob happy with lots of Blue painted types being torn to bits by wild haggi - become first citizen of Rome.

Actually I was thinking about a return to proper Republican Virtue.......guys like Cato did not merely keel smugly superior the knew they were superior.
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Number of posts : 676
    Registration date : 2019-06-16

Post by Jason2 Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:12 pm

Stuart Bailey wrote:
    Jason2 wrote:
    J Flower wrote:Hopefully  we get the rule book before the first turn

Surely for positions we're playing, the rule book is "Kill the men in bedsheets" Wink

I thought that the "Great Barbarian Conspiracy" was not due for another 300 years?????

"The Great Jason Conspiracy"...hmmm now there's an idea... Twisted Evil lol! sword
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:41 pm

Hummm.......I wonder if before the great Jason conspiracy kicks off if it will be possible to bring the IX Hispanna home?
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:38 am

Stuart Bailey wrote:
    Deacon wrote:Well, some have slightly different rules, "Capture the barbarians, haul them back to Rome and host a murder party* while feeling smugly superior."

*Civilized people, of course, call this a triumph with all the wonderful civilized games that involve barbarians getting killed in splendid and bloody ways.

Clearly someone who intends to follow the Julius blue print  - Sloppy Aristo conquers Gaul or another bunch of Barbarians - Write own account of Wars to make you look really good - Keep mob happy with lots of Blue painted types being torn to bits by wild haggi - become first citizen of Rome.

Actually I was thinking about a return to proper Republican Virtue.......guys like Cato did not merely keel smugly superior the knew they were superior.

Indeed, superior people do not stab other superior people. It just isn't done. Well, mostly anyway.

But, someone MUST be stabbed clearly. A stab-free existence is unthinkable! It's the very thing we have words like 'nefas' for.

So the only reasonable solution is to stab other people, no? Besides, those people wrap themselves in their bedsheets entirely wrong. One must drape your body elegantly in your bedsheet bleached white with urine. That really shows the world who you are. I mean how can those barbarians properly sneer wearing clothes like that?

Also, You must remember to call your bedsheets a 'toga'. It is important that foolish barbarians think that you own two sets of clothes.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:14 pm

Have today rec'd the maps and locations guide:

Note that Rome burnt down in AD64 is still mostly in ruins while Londinium burnt to the ground in AD61 and its population slaughtered by the Iceni has been rebuilt and its population is now up to 50,000.

Surely the Gov of Britannia must be spared from cracking the heads of the Caledonii (sorry I mean teaching them the benefits of Roman Civilization) to lead the Senate Committee planning the rebuilding of Rome.

Note that all the locations in my Province are tiny but I do seem to have a lot of ports (probably for all the Olive oil exports) and one location with write up "Notable as a centre for Roman philosophers, poets, and orators".......clearly its Quality which matters most.
    Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 363
    Registration date : 2009-01-23

Post by Marshal Bombast Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:36 am

Stuart Bailey wrote:Have today rec'd the maps and locations guide:

Note that Rome burnt down in AD64 is still mostly in ruins while Londinium burnt to the ground in AD61 and its population slaughtered by the Iceni has been rebuilt and its population is now up to 50,000.

Surely the Gov of Britannia must be spared from cracking the heads of the Caledonii (sorry I mean teaching them the benefits of Roman Civilization) to lead the Senate Committee planning the rebuilding of Rome.

Note that all the locations in my Province are tiny but I do seem to have a lot of ports (probably for all the Olive oil exports) and one location with write up "Notable as a centre for Roman philosophers, poets, and orators".......clearly its Quality which matters most.

Thanks Stuart, you reminded me to order my copies.

RIB's web page lists the game as a wargames campaign so would there be much intrigue and economy generation as TGOK, I'm not sure - but am eager to find out when the rules come out Smile
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:08 pm

Marshal Bombast wrote:
    Stuart Bailey wrote:Have today rec'd the maps and locations guide:

Thanks Stuart, you reminded me to order my copies.  

RIB's web page lists the game as a wargames campaign so would there be much intrigue and economy generation as TGOK, I'm not sure - but am eager to find out when the rules come out Smile

Maps show location of gold/silver mines and marble while various locations are mentioned as ports so I would guess money may come into the game since all of those chariot races and gladiators do not come cheap! Plus I assume you will need to bribe various Barbarians to play nice while you are away from the frontier getting yourself made Emperor.

Aternatively, if like some of the Rhine and Danube Legion commanders you have lots of man power and not much in the way of ready cash you may need to beat up various Barbarian Tribes for Slaves who can then be sold to pay the Army its traditional and very expensive bonus on arrival of a new Emperor.

Historically, in the year of the four Emperor's one Emperor forgot to pay this bonus and did not last very long at all. While the winner paid the bonus and for the rebuilding of Rome including new Colusium from the proceeds of crushing the Jewish revolt inc at least 100,000 slaves as well as the loot from the 2nd Temple. While most of the actual fighting was done by his allies from the Danube Legions.

The other key factors in Verpasian's victory was support of Imperial freemen who controlled a lot of cash and Rome's grain supply from Egypt and good ralations with the Parthians so he did not have to dodge a arrow in the back while trying to get measured for the Purple.

Since Empire already has a perfectly good road system and a highly trained and well equiped Army and players are taking part of Roman Senators most of who are thinking Nero is a nut case who gas to go and what would they look like in purple. I assume emphasis is going to be less on position development and more on political faction development.

Think Glori but everyone playing a Spanish Noble with a possible claim to the throne.

Not saying every player is going to go for the Purple but they should all be doing their best to win honour and glory for their Senatorial families (ie end up on winning side).

I believe that some strange people are also going to be playing Barbarians - Think Glori pirate position. Bit of a pain but will no doubt be crushed once this small internal problem is solved.

PS If a faction wants to recruit my character in game and they want some good Omens - Just make me Pontifix Maximous with a sharp knife and a supply of Goats or perhaps Scot's.

Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:26 pm

Stuart Bailey wrote:

I believe that some strange people are also going to be playing Barbarians - Think Glori pirate position.  Bit of a pain but will no doubt be crushed once this small internal problem is solved.

I was more thinking a certain "Burn our way across Europe" Ottoman position as the comparison..combined with Lord Melville's speeches...and I do have an in-period model for those speeches...

*Ponders* can I invent whisky 1400 years early...

...and will be interesting to see if I have Brochs in-game and which theory Richard goes with on their use/purpose...
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:54 pm

Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:38 pm

Roman Senator's do not eat burgers on the public highway! Like a bunch of Slaves!! And we only drink watered wine like civilized folk.

Think style is going to have to be based on Marcus Porcius Cato or Marcus Tullius Cicero.
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:47 pm

Stuart Bailey wrote: ...And we only drink watered wine...

And this is why I've never been a fan of the Romans... drunken
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:57 pm

Jason2 wrote:

And this is why I've never been a fan of the Romans... :drunken:

It allows you to wee frequently on other people's heads. Bet you didn't think of that did you? And you hardly have to move your bedsheet at all to do your business. The perks of civilization!
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:33 pm

Deacon wrote:
    Jason2 wrote:

And this is why I've never been a fan of the Romans... drunken

It allows you to wee frequently on other people's heads. Bet you didn't think of that did you? And you hardly have to move your bedsheet at all to do your business. The perks of civilization!

I'm really getting the urge to carry on Boudicca's good work ROME PBM - Page 4 2962972013 lol!
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:57 pm

Oh, now we're mad because some civilized people raped and murdered people who thought they were allies?

We thought you understood that civilization is all about raping and murdering your 'allies'.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:43 pm

Deacon wrote:
    Oh, now we're mad because some civilized people raped and murdered people who thought they were allies?

We thought you understood that civilization is all about raping and murdering your 'allies'.

A true Roman does not murder or rape an ally..........when you feel the gladius just below the ribe cage that is a fairly good sign that you are no longer a an "ally".

Hope this explanation of Roman Philosophy make things a little clearer for the chaps in blue with the spiked hair.......really must get some of them as a novelty act for the next games in Cordoba.
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:42 pm

I really need to source some firewood near Rome...
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:56 am

Jason2 wrote:I really need to source some firewood near Rome...

Don't you know Rome has civilized under-floor heating and is normally warm compared to Calidonia. So Calidonian Gladiators in Rome for the games really do not need to bring their own firewood.

Soon warm up out on the sand when they start to jump around a bit.

PS Can all Barbarians please note Rome is built of marble so it will not burn (not sure what happened a few years back.......I blame failure to enfore proper building regulations. Probably result of using freemen to cut corners rather than a proper senitorial committee in proper bedsheets with a purple band.......I dont know, Empire is going to the dogs. We need to get back to traditional ways of doing things none of this Eastern Philosophy and PJ's sapping the morale fibre)
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:59 am

I have it on good authority from a certain Marcus Didius Falco that building standards in Rome are most definitely not of a high standard...maybe all a besieging barbarian army needs to do is wait for everything to fall down... Wink

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:44 pm