Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+13
Goldstar
Jason2
Papa Clement
Ardagor
count-de-monet
jamesbond007
one grain of grain
The Revenant
Deacon
J Flower
Stuart Bailey
Rozwi_Game10
revvaughan
17 posters

Game 8

J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1239
    Registration date : 2012-02-16

Game 8 - Page 3 Empty Re: Game 8

Post by J Flower Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:18 am

Having had a look over the Inventory/ ORBAT, I guess Bavaria has been inactive for probably at least 5-6 game years at least, any info players may have on past history of the position would be most enlightening .

Are the Ottomans actually active? Will be interesting to be in a game again with active Ottoman positions.

jamesbond007
    King
    King

Number of posts : 621
    Registration date : 2009-04-07

Post by jamesbond007 Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:41 am

revvaughan wrote:
    jamesbond007 wrote:In game 8. I would place France third on my list of strongest powers.

What are the rankings based on your ideas?  I believe that the world stage is about to get rather interesting in Game 8.  
    Many ways to rank.

Militarily, wealth, intellectual advancement. Money and recruits I would rank nations by. More so recruits. They are the hardest to come by.

I know the Rev is thinking “what about England.”. I always discount them, probably wrongly on the count of their unique political situation. Every 4 or 5 years an election. Wars will not be popular. Could be easy for opposition players to target political rivals and possibly obtain prime minister role. I always think England attracts more political players than warmongers. So does not build such a large armed forces as some positions can and do.

I was ranking nations on the area they now control. Moghuls and Hispania fairly equal. Possibly Hispania first.France in third.

Last edited by jamesbond007 on Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:00 am

Don't seem to be able to find the Bavarian Navy anywhere on my sheet, most frustrating.....

Do barges count as a naval asset, if they do I may have to recruit an Admiral.

Major question is how can I have taken on a German Principality that has no Beer listed on its trade income sheet, think this may be a crime, must investigate in game, or maybe they drink so much there isn't any left over to export, only logical explanation that springs tomind
    Ardagor
    Ardagor
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 427
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by Ardagor Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:14 pm

Money is of main importance, if you have enough you can get as many recruits you want. Just build marine societies.

Post by Guest Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:53 pm

Welcome to G8 Mr Flowers.

A good mix of players & lots of entertainment in G8. Germany has a very active Hanover, and the Austrian player (I believe) has been constant for many years (he just has had a period of inactivity, linked to external life events).

An enjoyably international game, with very active Far East.

Bavaria without Beer is like France without Wine, or Peckham devoid of Romanian Reisling... it must be addressed as a matter of urgency!
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Number of posts : 676
    Registration date : 2019-06-16

Post by Jason2 Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:13 pm

J Flower wrote:Don't seem to be able to find the Bavarian Navy anywhere on my sheet, most frustrating.....

I suppose you could be a fleet of riverine yachts on the Danube? You could then sail down the river and aid the Emperor in his war on the Ottomans by launching a naval assault on Belgrade?
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2565
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:21 am

Jason2 wrote:
    J Flower wrote:Don't seem to be able to find the Bavarian Navy anywhere on my sheet, most frustrating.....

I suppose you could be a fleet of riverine yachts on the Danube?  You could then sail down the river and aid the Emperor in his war on the Ottomans by launching a naval assault on Belgrade?

In G2 they managed to clear all the obstacles to navigation on the Danube (The Iron Gates being the real sod) and build a canal in Bavaria which linked the Danube to the Rhine.

A true boon to Bavarian beer traders who could then ship their best Products to the Black or North sea and all points in between.

But speaking as a Austrian Commander who took Belgrade the only use I found for the Navy V Belgrade is keeping what is likely to be a very long siege in supply. Anything else is just going to result in sunk ships! But perhaps someone is actually going to try and float a "cavalry Galley" down the river to add to the breaching fire?
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:54 am

Well, with Austria declaring war on Rumelia, I should imagine that if you fancy a lark in the south, you'll have your chance.
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Number of posts : 621
    Registration date : 2009-04-07

Post by jamesbond007 Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:07 am

Ardagor wrote:Welcome, the more the merrier.

You have probably read the latest newsletter. Russia is looking for a fight with France for some reason.

Austria want to go on a crusade against the Ottomans, while the Ottomans is grabbing some territory along the Persian border.

The Great Moghul have conquered most of India but have suffered huge losses.

In relation to the size of the Moghuls armed forces. I would say the losses were slight. If you take over 25 towns there will be losses.

Certainly the more the merrier.

Post by Guest Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:31 pm

Mr JFlowers, if I may take the liberty of using some of your former NATO lingo, Europe appears to be undergoing a rapid progression from Weapons Tight, to Weapons Hold to Weapons Free.

After what I understand is over a decade of military build up, it could get quite sporty.

Nevertheless, I think it’s a great party to join!
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:14 am

Time to head for the trenches then!!!!
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:29 pm

Was a bit surprised to see the Kaiser ( bless his cotton socks) Declare war on there first turn, is it a new player who saw the WAR in War-gaming & decided that s the best way forward, or is it the long term player returning? Answers on a beer mat please.

Have also discovered a secret weapon for the Bavaria army, appears that the Hümmelchen is akin to the bagpipes so will be able terrify the enemy away with the noise!

Beer problem has been cleared up as well, apparently so much was being consumed that none was left for export, had the option of beer rationing or opening a new brewery. As I didn't wnat the paper to report on a Mass uprising of sober leather trouser clad German civilians, seemed the safest option was the brewery.

A small garden shed is planned to be built on the bank of the Danube River, so that the Bavarian Canoe Club has a meeting place, just need someone to send a canoe building mission ot Bavaria.

Goldstar
    Earl
    Earl

Number of posts : 187
    Registration date : 2010-09-13

Post by Goldstar Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:02 pm

From Game 9, God bless the Kaiser and the Imperial and Royal Army.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:55 pm

Goldstar wrote:From Game 9, God bless the Kaiser and the Imperial and Royal Army.

From Game 2, the Kaiser and the Imperial and Royal Army also invaded Rumelia on a new governments first turn.........the locals were most upset.
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:07 pm

J Flower wrote:Have also discovered a secret weapon for the Bavaria army, appears that the Hümmelchen is akin to the bagpipes so will be able terrify the enemy away with the noise!

A small garden shed is planned to be  built on the bank of the Danube River, so that the Bavarian Canoe Club has a meeting place, just need someone to send a canoe building mission ot Bavaria.

Can we have a battle in which the Highland regiments, led by bagpipers, charge towards the laderhosen-clad Bavarian infantry who instead of battalion guns have batteries of Hummelchen?

Maybe the Bavarians could develop a land navy? Am sure there is a rule about putting wheels on barges...maybe the Bavarians could build barges, put wheels on them...and arm them with swivel guns?
    Ardagor
    Ardagor
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Ardagor Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:34 pm

Now that the Russians have the French fuming and eager for a fight, I assume they will be after the various insults in the paper. The French still claim to be cool, calm and collected.

The question is, do the Russians actually have a plan after they have yanked the tigers tail.

Also, everyone seems to want to fight the Ottomans all of sudden.
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:26 am

Game turn has arrived in Rain Blessed Germany,

Have already worked out initial orders for coming turn, as it will involve Bavarian Finance Minister being lynched by the mob, Reason being he has just negotiated a Bank Loan at 24% from the Bank of Amsterdam! (Which means loan repayments are actually higher than trade incomes)

The fact that he was put in charge of the Royal breweries may have effected his judgement somewhat as he was obviously "Socially Confused" when he negotiated the deal. -So I only have myself to blame-.

But at least Dick Turpin wore a mask.

Can anyone in game please give a steer on a financial institution that gives at least single figure interest rates?
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:29 pm

J Flower wrote:Game turn has arrived in Rain Blessed Germany,

Have already worked out initial orders for  coming turn, as it will involve Bavarian Finance Minister being lynched by the mob, Reason being he has just negotiated a Bank Loan at 24% from the Bank of Amsterdam! (Which means loan repayments are actually higher than trade incomes)

The fact that he was put in charge of the Royal breweries may have effected his judgement somewhat as he was obviously "Socially Confused" when he negotiated the deal. -So I only have myself to blame-.

Can anyone in game please give a steer on a financial institution that gives at least single figure interest rates?  

Historic solution was to borrow as much as you can at any rate of interest going and then go bankrupt.......normally putting the blame on nasty pirates pinching a treasure fleet and the bankers capital and interest payment.

As Bavaria think options are Ottoman raiders and/or firework explosion in UDP.

But still I am impressed with 24% interest rates .......clearly in G7 the Royal Bank of America's rates are much too cheap.

Ardagor
    Ardagor
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Ardagor Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:20 pm

I had a loan at 13% interest in game 3 as Americas Republic and I considered that very high but 24% is in another league altogether.
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:50 pm

J Flower wrote:Game turn has arrived in Rain Blessed Germany,

Have already worked out initial orders for  coming turn, as it will involve Bavarian Finance Minister being lynched by the mob, Reason being he has just negotiated a Bank Loan at 24% from the Bank of Amsterdam! (Which means loan repayments are actually higher than trade incomes)

24% does sound rather excessive! You could try the Bank of Hamburg, I have no idea of its rates I'm afraid but it does exist in G8 I'm told
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:44 pm

Ardagor wrote:I had a loan at 13% interest in game 3 as Americas Republic and I considered that very high but 24% is in another league altogether.

Perhaps the 24% is made up of 13% to the Bank of Amsterdam % 11% brokers fee to the Bavarian Minister who arranged the loan for the Elector?

That or the Elector is suffering from memory loss ref the very bad things he done in the past which may have hurt his reputation and credit with Dutch Bankers. I mean can you imagine the interest rate quoted by the Bank of Amsterdam for a new player for England in G7, Genoa in G10 and various Spanish Govts?

Basically would you trust this Doge with your Wife or your Money?
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:25 pm

Could it also be a sign that the Dutch don't see it in their interest to see Bavaria develop?   That they might know the Bavarians want to use the money to develop their trade and that could harm Dutch merchants?  

Must be a nation out there who has a bank but wouldn't be threatened by Bavarian trade success?
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:40 pm

Jason2 wrote:Could it also be a sign that the Dutch don't see it in their interest to see Bavaria develop?   That they might know the Bavarians want to use the money to develop their trade and that could harm Dutch merchants?  

Must be a nation out there who has a bank but wouldn't be threatened by Bavarian trade success?

Basically we are looking for a Country which does not produce beer so its Bank's will not have lots of Brewers on their accounts. You can also discount North Italian banks who's customers do not want them funding rivals in the Alpine trades and generally speaking most Hapsburg Banks as the Hapsburgs are traditional Bavaria rivals.

What about the Bank of Paris?

Of course in G7 the Elector of Bavaria got round the traditional Hapsburg rivalry and side stepped some of his financial woes by marriage No2 to the daughter of Holy Roman Emperor and the after Maria Hapsburg passed away in childbirth he married the Queen of Spain sister (same one James Stuart snubbed!) who also came with a really, really nice dowry.

The Elector may have a bit of a problem in future with his Von Trapp style family and trying to find them all suitable matches but perhaps a nice dowry is something the G8 Elector should consider or is he still on wife No1? Worry that G7 Bavaria may have been left with standing order of "Try for Child" which has made post of Wife to the Elector as dangerous as being in the Russian Navy.
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:55 pm

As some might have guessed from letters you have hopefully received, this turn not only saw Bavaria become active but also another new (or should that be returning?) player-me.

The Hanseatic League rises again! I assure you all I am interested in is peace, friendship and a good return on trade investments...

...the fact i have recruited Havelock Vetinari as my main advisor on how to rule a city state and expand its influence should not be a matter for concern...honest...
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:03 pm

Stuart Bailey wrote:
    Jason2 wrote:Could it also be a sign that the Dutch don't see it in their interest to see Bavaria develop?   That they might know the Bavarians want to use the money to develop their trade and that could harm Dutch merchants?  

Basically we are looking for a Country which does not produce beer so its Bank's will not have lots of Brewers on their accounts.  You can also discount North Italian banks who's customers do not want them funding rivals in the Alpine trades and generally speaking most Hapsburg Banks as the Hapsburgs are traditional Bavaria rivals.

What about the Bank of Paris?

How about the Moscovite Bank?  Russians aren't really beer drinkers and the Russian and Bavarian navies will be of the same size and quality...plus a Bavaria that was friendly with Moscow would really really annoy the French

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:03 pm