Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+17
jamesbond007
Stuart Bailey
Marshal Bombast
Goldstar
Mike
Prunesquallor
SteelCityTyke
The Revenant
Deacon
J Flower
Richard D. Watts
Basileus
Papa Clement
revvaughan
count-de-monet
tkolter
Jason2
21 posters

Game 10

jamesbond007
    King
    King

Number of posts : 622
    Registration date : 2009-04-07

Game 10 - Page 31 Empty Re: Game 10

Post by jamesbond007 Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:53 am

Hapsburg wrote:From what I can see of the treaty signed by France and published in the newspaper, it breaches the word limit in the rules, is therefore not binding and not enforceable by the Court. Agree?

I agree. Got to be under 130 words, from memory.However if you don’t like the terms of the peace deal, simply don’t sign it.
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Post by jamesbond007 Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:11 pm

On the peace treaty. I would mention the following points, that I would suggest leaves matters rather complexed and open to abuse.

Clause ii. France Comte is French but the Austrians are in control of the Besancon citadel and can leave troops in it. Austria can resupply and drill from here. Which means they have access to the whole town. Yet the town is French and France can have troops everywhere accept the citadel. Do both nations can have troops in Besancon town.

Clause iii. France Comte is French apart from a citadel in Besancon. Yet France has to dismantle all fortifications and not build anymore.

Clause v. Strasbourg is an Imperial free city. Yet France can build a garrison, supply it, reinforce and add to it. So again. Many nations can have an army in the town.

Clause vii. Luxembourg and upper Guilderland to be administered by the Impetial Diet. So can France have an army there.? If not why not.

My view would be the above points are open to different interpretation. Just my view guys.
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Post by jamesbond007 Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:13 pm

jamesbond007 wrote:On the peace treaty. I would mention the following points, that I would suggest leaves matters rather complexed and open to abuse.

Clause ii. France Comte is French but the Austrians are in control of the Besancon citadel and can leave troops in it. Austria can resupply and drill from here. Which means they have access to the whole town. Yet the town is French and France can have troops everywhere accept the citadel. So both nations can have troops in Besancon town.

Clause iii. France Comte is French apart from a citadel in Besancon. Yet France has to dismantle all fortifications and not build anymore. So how French is it.?

Clause v. Strasbourg is an Imperial free city. Yet France can build a garrison, supply it, reinforce and add to it. So again. Many nations can have an army in the town.

Clause vii. Luxembourg and upper Guilderland to be administered by the Impetial Diet. So can France have an army there.? If not why not. It’s only administrated by the Imperial Diet.

My view would be the above points are open to different interpretation. Just my view guys.
    Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 367
    Registration date : 2009-01-23

Post by Marshal Bombast Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:28 pm

Core rulebook says 260 words or less and on 1 side of A4 to be valid.

Late to party as was double checking all my signed treaties first lol.

James you raise valid questions. Sounds like a lot of discussions to be had if it were signed.

I still can't see why a sovereign nation would accept another ruler to sign on their behalf and if not a signatory how could they be bound to it. If the treaty was signed by proposed signatories would that mean for example HRE having to 'enforce' the treaty on say Sweden even though Sweden didn't sign?

jamesbond007
    King
    King

Post by jamesbond007 Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:47 pm

Marshal Bombast wrote:Core rulebook says 260 words or less and on 1 side of A4 to be valid.

Late to party as was double checking all my signed treaties first lol.

James you raise valid questions.  Sounds like a lot of discussions to be had if it were signed.

I still can't see why a sovereign nation would accept another ruler to sign on their behalf and if not a signatory how could they be bound to it. If the treaty was signed by proposed signatories would that mean for example HRE having to 'enforce' the treaty on say Sweden even though Sweden didn't sign?

For some reason I have 130 words max in my notes. You could be right or the rule could have been updated. Anyone else sure of the ruling.?

Either way. It’s more than 260 words. So it’s still invalid.
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Number of posts : 676
    Registration date : 2019-06-16

Post by Jason2 Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:01 pm

Looking at the core of the treaty, from clause 1 onwards it amounts to 255 words (using the word count function on Word) so I wonder if the introduction before clause 1 is really something for the newspaper and would not be in the finalised version sent to people to sign? The core rules do state 260 words as the word limit so I see that as confirmed.
    Even if that is not the case, I think to declare it "invalid" is extreme, given the amount of time it has taken to get the various powers involved in the war to get this far. "Would need editing to get the word count down" would seem fairer.

On who needs to sign it, I guess by limiting the number and have some sign on behalf of others (particularly where those others are NPC positions) makes administrative sense, both from the point of view of Jason Flower as the person who has drafted it and from Richard's too.  It should also get it signed more quickly so we have the peace in place before the end of 1706.  I am sure none of us want the war to even have a chance of restarting in 1707 (or would some like that  Question )
    I should say I will have no issues with it being signed by King William on Scotland's behalf; saves me having to do it Smile  

As to the clauses, not sure I see what the issues are for all of them, especially clause 3.  As included in the newspaper "Fortifications in the remainder of Franche-Comte are immediately dismantled by France and none allowed to be rebuilt",  Clause 2 allows Austria to occupy the Mont Saint-Etienne Citadel.  So that all seems clear, the citadel stays but elsewhere fortifications have to go.

On clauses 5 and 7.  I read it as a concession that 5 allows France a garrison in Strasbourg.  Its not because its an imperial city that means France can have a garrison there, so there would be no reason to think France would be allowed to have garrisons in Luxembourg and Upper Guelderland.

Last edited by Jason2 on Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:23 pm

jamesbond007 wrote:Thinking about how the maritime nations work. Which is very complex. As the Dutch called for the war then ended it. How will this impact England and Scotland.? Will their parliaments be needed to vote again on ending the war, as it had voted to start the war. Surely this will hurt their honour. Calling for a war, getting the vote for a war. Then ending it before a bullet is fired.? The Dutch May have gained Flanders but the English and Scot’s gain nothing. Will their parliaments be rather annoyed and upset at their treatment by King William.? Be interesting to see the reaction of both  parliaments. Especially after voting for war and not getting one.

Also be interesting to see how Austria reacts. It looks like The Dutch have gained more out of this war than the Emperor has. Which is odd because the Empire had been at war with France since the first few turns. Yet the Dutch never fired a bullet. Just threatened to. A master stroke by the Dutch. Rather embarrassing for the French, Austrian, Empire, Swedish, Scot’s and English.?

The next few turns should be great reading.

After reading the newspaper my plan instantly was to get Parliament to vote again to allow me to agree to the peace terms and approve that peace once it was signed.  Given how divided the Scottish parliament was on the vote, this is the best outcome-Scotland has demonstrated its loyalty to King William while in the process confirming Parliament's independence from the Crown, we have not had to fight the auld friend, and we will get peace-which is what Scotland really wants and needs as this war has done major damage to our economy over several years even though we were not part of it.  I wouldn't have wanted colonies out of this war, so I've not lost anything.

A little bit of spin and this looks like a great victory for the Scots...and even better if foreign powers try to suggest otherwise, I simply turn that to my advantage, as another example of Johnny Foreigner attempting to undermine our great and free nation, and that always  gets the Scots behind me.
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Post by jamesbond007 Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:05 pm

Every word on the letter you send into Richard counts so some major chopping of the text is needed. Hence the final treaty letter has still not been seen. How can anyone vote on that.?As the next turn is October, Hard to see it fully signed by December. Hence it will not stand. Austria has already questioned the treaty.

If Scotland are happy to not sign a treaty. Let The Dutch sign for him . If Scotland are happy to gain nothing while the treaty writer gains the most. Even more than the guys fighting the war. If Scotland are happy to vote on a war one month. As the Dutch called for. Then go back to parliament and ask them to cancel their vote and the war the following month. Then I suggest the Dutch have a real friend and find there.

I would think the Austrian player too shrewd to sign a treaty which has not been seen in its full and final legal form as sent to Agema. As pointed out already. There are some grey areas in the treaty. I would be very surprised to see the Austrian player sign a treaty which gives the ruler writing it more than the guy who has been fighting and gaining ground in it for the past Six years.

The Scot’s may be great friends and roll over for the Dutchman but I cannot believe the Emperor will accept. Time will soon tell.
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:24 pm

"Roll over for the Dutchman"?  

I'd take it as a kindness if in future you would be politer in your statements in regards how I play my position in G10.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Post by jamesbond007 Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:10 pm

Yes apologies.
    Let me rephrase the sentence to. Very accommodating to the Dutchman.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend too. You may be right the Treaty may be signed by December. Just my opinion that the treaty won’t be signed by December or in its current form. If I was playing Austria I wouldn’t sign it in its current form.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2571
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:20 pm

Any treaty over over 130 or 260 words invalid!?

But what about the treaty of Westpahlia and other treaties deemed to be in force at the start of the game which some people are so fond of mentioning? They are all really, really long!

It would also seem that my copy of the core rule book is out of date since it says nothing at all about number of words which can be used and it would also seem that treaties which have been signed and followed to the letter in G2 and G7 - French actually waited to one minute after expiry of treaty before they declared war on Austria, Spain and the UDP were invalid as well.

Ditto the treaty Austria broke with France in order to honour the Treaty it had with England was also invalid. But oddly this did not stop Austrian honour dropping off the honour table from a position at the very top.

Would like to think that no character of mine would lower himself to such lawyer and knavish type tricks as to try and declare his word of honour means nothing due to a clerkish error. If someone tries that on one of my characters I think the words are;- "I love the smell of burning villages in the morning, it smells like victory".
    Hapsburg
    Viscount
    Viscount

Number of posts : 160
    Registration date : 2008-06-20

Post by Hapsburg Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:29 pm

Any in game treaty drafted from January 1700 onwards and longer than 260 words is not enforceable by the Court - Core rules version VII (2012), page 40. Not invalid but only a statement of intent and any breaches cannot be referred to the Court for a ruling / compensation etc.

Spain and Austria have a great deal of experience with treaty enforcement in game 10  Laughing

The original version of the Treaty of The Hague published in the newspaper was below 260 words to ensure enforceability, but the additional preamble, an attempted remedy for a reduced number of signatories, takes it over.
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Post by jamesbond007 Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:36 am

Yes on the treaty front Spain and Austria have alot of experience of going to the court of Agema. Game 10 - Page 31 1f600

Any treaty has to be signed by all involved and given to Agema and be under 260 words to be deemed valid and enforceable by Agema. A real treaty opposed to a statement of intent.

So if it’s over 260 words, then it’s not worth the paper it is written on because any party can break the treaty and there is no compensation. If the treaty is fully compliant with Agema rules and a party breaks the treaty. Then Agema if asked, will make rulings and issue direct orders regarding the incident. Breaking the treaty costs honour points every turn until the breech is repaired.

I think unless a treaty is remarkably clear and  obvious there will always be grey areas where two different sides can see two different interpretations of the meaning of the treaty. Looking at the treaty from a point of neutrality that is certainly the case with this treaty. So Agema could be asked to rule on any of the points or an incident that occurs in game.

So it is important to be under the threshold of 260 words. To be legally enforceable.
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1239
    Registration date : 2012-02-16

Post by J Flower Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:30 am

Historically there were no honour tables, treaties were written with enough words that you could call them Novels. Treaties were as often as not seen as cease fires to re-arm rather than solutions. Treaties could be broken before the ink dried. Seems a case of playing the rule book rather than the spirit of the game

In all the word counting & panic to find ways to not enforce the treaty, the human element of the players who have signed is being forgotten. France & UDP are both happy to see a peace return between them.

So if a new treaty is needed then it can be sorted out, where there is a will there is a way. Or was that where there's a "Will" there is a family dispute involving bereaved family members & their lawyers?

From Personal Experience Peace deals Agema puts in place are a little more painful, which maybe worth bearing in mind. They don't always take into account land occupied or battles won.

Trying to find a balance in the peace negotiations hasn't been easy, & honestly thought it had a chance this time around, obviously so very, very wrong The next couple of turns I guess will see how it develops.

Give & take were the general idea behind the whole treaty. Seems not enough of one & too much of the other

Whilst reading up on "Treaties to Court Agema," isn't there a note somewhere saying Richard dreads seeing the words "For adjudication by Court Agema?"

Oh well Eric lets get back to the drawing board

Jason2 likes this post

jamesbond007
    King
    King

Post by jamesbond007 Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:41 am

I think you are right. Always difficult to please all parties. That’s why Truces were and are hard to come by and agree too.

You may have done it though. Only Austria left to make or break the treaty. The ball is in his court now.

J Flower likes this post

Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:59 am

J Flower wrote:Historically there were no honour tables, treaties were written with enough words that you could call them Novels. Treaties were as often as not seen as cease fires to re-arm rather than solutions. Treaties could be broken before the ink dried. Seems a case of playing the rule book rather than the spirit of the game

In all the word counting & panic to find ways to not enforce the treaty, the human element of the players who have signed is being forgotten. France & UDP are both happy to see a peace return between them.

So if a new treaty is needed then it can be sorted out, where there is a will there is a way. Or was that where there's a "Will" there is a family dispute involving bereaved family members & their lawyers?

From Personal Experience Peace deals Agema puts in place are a little more painful, which maybe worth bearing in mind. They don't always take into account land occupied or battles won.

Trying to find a balance in the peace negotiations hasn't been easy, & honestly thought it had a chance this time around, obviously so very, very wrong  The next couple of turns I guess will see how it develops.

Give & take were the general idea behind the whole treaty. Seems not enough of one & too much of the other

Whilst reading up on "Treaties to Court Agema," isn't there a note somewhere saying Richard dreads seeing the words "For adjudication by Court Agema?"

Oh well Eric lets get back to the drawing board

Well, I do feel you deserve some credit for getting a peace treaty this far. i mean it's got to have taken a lot of time and effort, as well as trying to get responses from other players, and that does need some recognition. Herding cats must be a dream in comparison.

On word counts, as someone who has had to apply for a lot of jobs over the years where you have word limits for some parts of an online application form...and you draft a response up in Word, copy and paste it into the online system...only to find a chunk missing at the end cause the online system has determined you are over the 1,000 word limit..and yet the word count on Word is convinced your whole document only had 954 words in it...you have my sympathy...mind you in my current job, assessing grant applications, where we have word limits, I have been known to declare that anything someone says after the word limit cannot be considered in my assessment of their grant application...I don't care how brilliant the last 300 words were, I ain't reading them!

And yes Richard does somewhere talk of his dread of those words...

J Flower likes this post

Hapsburg
    Viscount
    Viscount

Number of posts : 160
    Registration date : 2008-06-20

Post by Hapsburg Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:41 pm

Breaking a truce makes you wary of other unenforceable promises.

Austria signed the original enforceable treaty of The Hague in May 1706, and this was acknowledged in Leopold’s statement in the May 1706 newspaper. Not ideal terms but a reasonable compromise.

Months went by without the last party France signing this treaty and ending the war; France breaks its truce at Messina but is defeated, loses Paris and immediately wants peace on the same terms.

To avoid diplomacy on the forum I won’t detail what treaty Austria will sign, but Austria has been more than fair in the past.

Yes, Richard dreads a breach of treaty complaint, but does an excellent job adjudicating and puts a great deal of work into the rulings – a number I published in the newspaper.

J Flower likes this post

Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2571
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:08 am

J Flower wrote:

When dealing with what you consider to be a breach of a treaty by another player. I think characters should always try and act like true C18 gentlemen and generally not lower themselves to bother lawyers (Court Agema) unless they are unsure in their own minds about if an agreement has been broken in word and spirit.

So depending on breach you either just a) ignore b) point out the error and hope the wrong-doer says sorry and mends his ways or c) you grab a horse whip and give them a damn good thrashing !!

In G7 concerning the French breaking the what now seems to have been the legally unenforceable Treaty of Scotland (Though is that the whole treaty or just bits after the first 260 words?) Spain adopted various positions:-

I) French force trying to get home shows up in Spanish port a long way after the time limit. Spain decided that this was probably due to either a high dice roll result on movement time or player having noticed overlooked force. Decided that this was just one of those things which could happen to anyone and ignored.

II) Years after the time limit for forces to withdraw from each others lands a deased French Army which had invaded UDP by sea decides to go home by land flaunting its banners on Habsburg land and trampling its muddy boots all across my clean, tidy and plague free Duchy of Flanders........so grabbed the horse whip and tried to give them a damn good thrashing (Blighters were lucky to get away alive) while having a moan to all about French violation of agreement.

Interestingly the French did not say a word in public, did not declare treaty over and got off Flanders land as rapidly as possible. Too this day its not known why the French decided to break the treaty may even have been as simple as meaning to give a "Army X to move from Amsterdam to France by sea" and missing the by sea bit resulting in a French Army leading to Lille in a strait line.

J Flower likes this post

jamesbond007
    King
    King

Post by jamesbond007 Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:36 am

I think the words breaking treaties are getting people a bit lost here. It’s not so much breaking treaties. It’s what is allowed during the treaty that causes the problems. Often the treaties are not specific enough. Hence the problems.

When you give  the town of Strasbourg to one player yet the other player can keep a garrison in the town.

Problems occur like.
    Can both players have an army in the town.? Can both armies drill.?  Can the player with the garrison build, like an army camp.? Can the owner of Strasbourg build and garrison a citadel in the centre of town while stationing the other players army outside town.?

These are the kind of things that goes to the court of Agema. More grey area than outright breaking of the treaty. Two opposing players often interpret a treaty differently. This is why I believe the latest treaty in g10 has the potential to throw up such problems.

Marshal Bombast and J Flower like this post

J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1239
    Registration date : 2012-02-16

Post by J Flower Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:16 am

Haven't seen the forum this active for a long time.

Apologise for causing such a fuss. will try to behave in the future
    Have taken a few notes.
    Eric will be working over the weekend to ensure a slightly less complicated version is put on display in next months news letter.

The initial idea from Eric was " Okay stop fighting , shake hands & we will all promise to be nice to each other & go home!" (19 words)

Sadly had to be rejected due no common definition of the word "Nice" being available.
    The word "promise" was a bit dodgy as well.
    Plus do we shake hands with the left or the right.... Oh the complications seem endless; & is a treaty under 20 words valid in court?

Marshal Bombast and jamesbond007 like this post

jamesbond007
    King
    King

Post by jamesbond007 Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:36 am

Yes good to see the forum being well used.

Spain and Austria in g10 both never broke the treaty as such and it still stands and has been adhered to today.However between us, we have put points across to Agema, the judge and needed thirty five rulings from the court. Every player wants what is best for his position. Push the law to the limit without crossing the line. There are always two sides to a story with each side believing they are the correct side and in the right and have read the treaty correctly in their favour. There is an incentive to report the opposing player, side, to the court of Agema, Richard. If Richard takes your point in the complaint. You gain honour and your opponent losses honour. So an incentive to report and hurt your rival is there.

It is very difficult to come up with a complicated peace treaty between two large nations covering two large areas and keep the word limit to under 260 words. Hence visits to the court of Agema to clarify points. So treaties are not always broken as such. More the fact each point needs more detail, clarification and expanding on. I know Richard does not like to be the judge, or court as the rulings often upset a player, or side in the dispute. So perhaps the answer is, allow more words to be used. The downside is it becomes very long winded, technical and time consuming on Richards part to manage and rule on if necessary.

The proposed treaty in g10 looks a great deal for France and the UDP. Not a great deal for Austria who looks to be on the front foot. Perhaps the treaty needs to reflect that point. I would be be very surprised if Austria accepted the treaty. You never know though. So it could be back to square one.

Marshal Bombast likes this post

Michael0
    Freeman
    Freeman

Number of posts : 9
    Registration date : 2020-09-21

Post by Michael0 Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:56 pm

Is there no Royal Prerogative in Scotland and England , exercised by His Majesty's governments of course , that allow a declaration of war without consultation of Parliament?
    Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Marshal Bombast Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:04 pm

Michael0 wrote:Is there no Royal Prerogative in Scotland and England , exercised by His Majesty's governments of course  , that allow a declaration of war without consultation of Parliament?

It's a constitutional monarchy so actual royal powers are restricted and both England and Scotland are separate kingdoms with their own parliaments. So England could decide tobgo to war while Scotland votes for peace. One of the more interesting part of the TGOK game.
    Michael0
    Freeman
    Freeman

Number of posts : 9
    Registration date : 2020-09-21

Post by Michael0 Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:22 pm

Yes, thanks, I understand it is a constitutional monarchy and that the Parliaments are different .
    The Royal Prerogative in England at least gives the Government the right to declare war without the consent of Parliament. The Government "advises" the King that he should declare war and the king does as he is advised.
    The First Lord of the Treasury can choose to allow Parliament to discuss whether to declare war but it is not constitutionally necessary since he can simply advise the King to do so.
    Brave is the one who tries it though.
    Of course , he then might have the wrath of Parliament ever after since the King is never wrong in the decisions he makes ( but only ever badly advised )
    Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Marshal Bombast Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:29 pm

Michael0 wrote:Yes, thanks, I understand it is a constitutional monarchy and that the Parliaments are different .
    The Royal Prerogative in England at least gives the Government the right to declare war without the consent of Parliament. The Government "advises" the King that he should declare  war and the king does as he is advised.
    The First Lord of the Treasury can choose to allow Parliament to discuss whether to declare war but it is not constitutionally necessary since he can simply advise the King to do so.
    Brave is the one who tries it though.
    Of course , he then might have the wrath of Parliament ever after since the King is never wrong in the decisions he makes ( but only ever badly advised )

Probably could try it but likely both king and lord treasurer would lose a lot of honour until parliament voted to support any given action.

I'm sure I lost an honour point as Tsar for not giving the privy council a chance to debate a topic as I tried to force an opinion on them.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 8:51 pm