Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+20
Thelittleemperor
Rozwi_Game10
jamesbond007
The Revenant
Ardagor
Bearlord
Nexus06
count-de-monet
The Hessian
mmcdhoward
Regor
MarkTurner26
J Flower
Goldstar
Kingmaker
Basileus
one grain of grain
Stuart Bailey
Deacon
Redtroop44
24 posters

The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.

Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 479
    Registration date : 2015-04-14

The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.  - Page 21 Empty Re: The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.

Post by Nexus06 Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:48 am

Rozwi_Game10 wrote:I'm only involved in Games 8 and 10 - and to be honest, I only really follow what is happening in Game 10 as in Game 8 I'm just a Swashbuckler character and it what happens in the game doesn't really effect my character.

Is Game 9 mostly concerned with European nations and things that happen in Europe?

Or does Asia, or Africa, or the Middle East, or India receive much coverage in the newspaper and have active players adding fun to the game?

I have to say, despite the lack of action, that the game spans through the entire Eurasia. This turn i've welcomed letters from Uzbek khan and Persia, Last turn Ottomans and China.

Africa is free i think.

Prussia i could not say, as the nation is active in actions, but no letters are exchanged (not for lack of trying to be honest).

But in the forum i see G7 and 10 are more "actively populated"
    count-de-monet
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 379
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.  - Page 21 Empty Re: The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.

Post by count-de-monet Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:02 am

It could be that the lack of activity on this game's thread is due to a couple of possible reasons. I do not think or know if, for example the English and UDP players are members of the forum. I know France (me) and Sweden are. As the main European story at the moment is the Anglo-French dispute this would limit discussion on that subject. It could also be that players are being cautious about either bragging, disputing or arguing the points on the forum as the conflict has been relatively reserved so far and exchanges on here could make it worse.

Post by Guest Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:41 pm

If you want, I can post more about how wonderful Lord Fong is and how blighted the barbarians are for not benefiting from his rule?
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Nexus06 Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:14 am

Jason wrote:If you want, I can post more about how wonderful Lord Fong is and how blighted the barbarians are for not benefiting from his rule?

Well, there is no “too much” when we talk about Lord Fong.

But I honestly like to know more about the south east situation, which Kwangtung seems to know well. We also have never been informed concerning composition and habits of the Lord Fong Harem (if existing). Last question is: has the Emperor of China requested a Bazillion of dollars to allow Lord Fong a “Private” meeting?
    Goldstar
    Earl
    Earl

Number of posts : 187
    Registration date : 2010-09-13

Post by Goldstar Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:49 pm

January 1705.
    1.  The Duke of Lorraine spurns French military aid, whilst resisting pressure to join the Alliance against England. The Empire will protect him?
    2. Joseph, King of the Germans, addresses the Imperial Diet. The independence of Reich states is to be respected, but 100,000 Reicharmee and Austrian troops will mass on the Western border of the Reich to ensure neutrality. Reich states are invited to join this March on the Rhine.
    3. England continues to try and drum up support in Hesse-Kassel and Wurtemburg. The Emperor tries to do likewise in Prussia and Poland.
    4. Much politicking in Russia, taxes raised, recruits sold to the English and a massive Company of Fools event to celebrate Orthodox epiphany.
    5. England accuses Spain of underhand tactics in the current conflict, what does he expect from papists.
    6. King Louis denies any dishonourable dealings with infidel corsairs, whilst indicating that France is interested in the Emperor's offer to mediate in the conflict with England. Meanwhile over 25,000 French troops disembark to join the Spanish at Charlestown.
    7. The English Fleet takes a quick look at the extensive defences of Louisburg.
    8. A defrocked Jesuit in the pay of the Governor of Kwantung, implies that Portugal should kowtow or lose it's trading rights in China.
    9. The Leader of the Spanish government and noted Warhawk Jose Patino Y Rosales has dropped dead unexpectedly. Who knowns what to expect next given the recent goings on at the Spanish court would make a Borgia blush.
    10. The Emperor has returned to Milan and his ambassador in Venice has asked for a private audience with the Doge to discuss the current peace treaty.
    11. Lord Fong utters some obscure statements about bird hunting, clearly larger and more dangerous game as not his thing. Apparently his Manchu boot in on the neck of 30,000,000 enslaved Han Chinese. No wonder Pro-Ming secret societies are growing throughout his lands.
    12. The Chinese Emperor demands that Fong appear before him for a private audience, he must pay a cool 11,000,000 for the pleasure and come unarmed.
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Nexus06 Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:27 pm

I would like to thank Goldstar, because his turn wrap-up makes me the same effect of a good brandy near a chimney!
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Number of posts : 661
    Registration date : 2015-08-15

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:31 am

Thanks for the summary write-up Goldstar.

Interesting to read of the happenings in China. It would be an area I'd be interested to have played, but with what I've got going (and a hankering to explore India in the game) means I'd be stretched too thin should I attempt further play.

Saying that though, there's always Swashbuckler and sending a character to China and causing mischief pirat

Post by Guest Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:15 pm

Rozwi_Game10 wrote:Thanks for the summary write-up Goldstar.

Interesting to read of the happenings in China. It would be an area I'd be interested to have played, but with what I've got going (and a hankering to explore India in the game) means I'd be stretched too thin should I attempt further play.

Saying that though, there's always Swashbuckler and sending a character to China and causing mischief pirat

I would just say that while in most games I am a nice, friendly sort of guy (unless you're a pirate), as Lord Fong I end to play the character in true Imperial style...so if you like the number of arms, legs and heads you have... Wink
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Nexus06 Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:41 pm

A question if i may:

Is it possible that Richard itself actively send treaties or letters on behalf of a nation, or if a treaty arrives it means that a player is active on the other side?
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:48 pm

Nexus06 wrote:A question if i may:

Is it possible that Richard itself actively send treaties or letters on behalf of a nation, or if a treaty arrives it means that a player is active on the other side?

I think it would be quite unusual for Richard to send an unsolicited treaty/letter as an NPC nation. Normally NPC nations are pretty passive. You have to work a lot to get an answer out of one. Typically if you send a letter to an NPC nation you get no answer. The letter goes into the position's file I think, so if anybody picks up the position they get it, but Richard typically won't answer it.

That said, I wonder if Richard has been doing more with NPC states of late, since in game 8 Oman was a bit active, but I don't see any real evidence they're in play.
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Nexus06 Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:49 pm

Thanks Deacon!
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:53 pm

My experience is that the best way to get an answer out of an NPC nation is to have your ambassador to them ask for a meet and talk to them. Then Richard will run the response on your turn (and out of your turn fees).

Not really your question, but that's been my experience on how to get NPCs to respond.

Post by Guest Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:05 pm

Deacon wrote:
    Nexus06 wrote:A question if i may:

I think it would be quite unusual for Richard to send an unsolicited treaty/letter as an NPC nation. Normally NPC nations are pretty passive. You have to work a lot to get an answer out of one. Typically if you send a letter to an NPC nation you get no answer. The letter goes into the position's file I think, so if anybody picks up the position they get it, but Richard typically won't answer it.

That said, I wonder if Richard has been doing more with NPC states of late, since in game 8 Oman was a bit active, but I don't see any real evidence they're in play.

I would concur on Oman in G8...it's either a fairly inactive active position...or a remarkably active inactive one Wink
    Goldstar
    Earl
    Earl

Number of posts : 187
    Registration date : 2010-09-13

Post by Goldstar Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:07 am

Feb 1705 Confusion Reighs.

1. A private members bill has been passed in both houses of the English Parliament, abolishing taxation on the nobility and clergy, whilst reducing it to 5% for commoners. Given the heavy losses currently being inflicted on the English merchantmen by the French, how will they pay for the war?
    2. King Louis XIV asks the new Spainish government to suspend it declaration of War against England to give the Imperial peace initiative a chance. The Elector of Bavaria, appears to have received similar advice and has suspended it's declaration of War against England. Unfortunately Sweden has chosen this moment to declare war on Spain, claiming it is standing against the Spainish led counter-reformation.
    3. Sweden is at war with Spain, but not France or Bavaria. England is at War with France and Spain, the UDP is neutral but supportive of it's Protestant allies. A large number of Swedish troops are currently in the UDP.
    4. Never the most subtle of rulers, Tsar Peter inquires with his Generals if Russia is ready for war with Sweden. Their answer is positive and Russia continues to court the Danish Government. Has King Charles XII picked a bad time to declare war on Spain.
    5. Amongst all this the Emperor has declared that the Spainish government has transferred the Duchy of Milan to the Austrian House of Hapsburg. This has been met with dismay by the Milanese nobility, they prefer Venetian rule to Leopold's more robust overlordship.
    6. Lord Fong takes leave of his province to journey north for a meeting with his overlord the Manchu Emperor.
    Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 458
    Registration date : 2011-07-01

Post by Basileus Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:24 pm

Timing is always everything, Sweden had actually put in the declaration of war the previous month but I think my turn was in late, before it became apparent that there was a new Spanish player. Sorry new Spanish player.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:30 pm

Basileus wrote:Timing is always everything, Sweden had actually put in the declaration of war the previous month but I think my turn was in late, before it became apparent that there was a new Spanish player. Sorry new Spanish player.

Well, if you want to revisit the decision, you can always do the tried and true, and cashier a secretary, and blame them for an erroneous publication. You can then 'correct' it with the right one which probably threatens to speak very, very harshly to Spain if they don't shape up. May or may not include demands for paella to delivered forthwith.

Or something like that. :D
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2567
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:13 pm

Deacon wrote:
    Basileus wrote:Timing is always everything, Sweden had actually put in the declaration of war the previous month but I think my turn was in late, before it became apparent that there was a new Spanish player. Sorry new Spanish player.

Well, if you want to revisit the decision, you can always do the tried and true, and cashier a secretary, and blame them for an erroneous publication. You can then 'correct' it with the right one which probably threatens to speak very, very harshly to Spain if they don't shape up. May or may not include demands for paella to delivered forthwith.

Or something like that. Very Happy

Or you could just blame the post for sending your declaration of war to Madrid rather than Moscow. Well they both start with M and are the same length.......easy mistake to make.

Perhaps the Spanish Regency Govt would be so kind as to pass of the declaration of War to the Czar. Poor Peter is probably getting all worried and concerned about his missing declaration. Very Happy
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:16 pm

Indeed, an excellent suggestion.

So many options once you commit to utterly destroying the life, career and honour of an imaginary diplomat!
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2567
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:29 pm

Deacon wrote:

So many options once you commit to utterly destroying the life, career and honour of an imaginary diplomat!

Well we are talking about the Player who in Scabble has got the great Otto Von Bismark addicted to at least three highly suspect substances, shot, blown up, enslaved, and thrown into various different cells. Plus turned him into a Tuba player !!

If he can do this to Otto Von Bismark I think a really short sighted Swedish Diplomat is probably on his way to Lord Fong.
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Nexus06 Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:52 pm

I have absolutely no complain on Basileus timing Smile

Post by Guest Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:43 pm

Stuart Bailey wrote:
    Deacon wrote:

Well we are talking about the Player who in Scabble has got the great Otto Von Bismark addicted to at least three highly suspect substances, shot, blown up, enslaved, and thrown into various different cells.  Plus turned him into a Tuba player !!

If he can do this to Otto Von Bismark I think a really short sighted Swedish Diplomat is probably on his way to Lord Fong.

Don't worry, Lord Fong in Game 9 is a bit more restrained, he hasn't hurt or mutilated a single ambassador...yet...
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Number of posts : 661
    Registration date : 2015-08-15

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:34 am

Jason wrote:Don't worry, Lord Fong in Game 9 is a bit more restrained, he hasn't hurt or mutilated a single ambassador...yet...

He just makes them sit through 12-hours of Chinese opera pale

Post by Guest Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:28 pm

Rozwi_Game10 wrote:
    Jason wrote:Don't worry, Lord Fong in Game 9 is a bit more restrained, he hasn't hurt or mutilated a single ambassador...yet...

He just makes them sit through 12-hours of Chinese opera pale

Now there's an idea...
    Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 458
    Registration date : 2011-07-01

Post by Basileus Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:11 pm

I note Nexus (Russia) is pleased with my timing sword Shocked
    Nexus06
    Nexus06
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Nexus06 Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:57 pm

Basileus wrote:I note Nexus (Russia) is pleased with my timing sword Shocked

The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.  - Page 21 3247665605 The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.  - Page 21 3247665605 The Age of Enlightenment. Game 9.  - Page 21 3247665605

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 5:28 am